[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PSA Daily Deals AR Build First Timer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: 43526.jpg (17KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
43526.jpg
17KB, 370x370px
Sup /k/,

I have never built an AR before, and I have an itch to do so this weekend. I've got some money to spend, but still shooting for the best budget deal.

They have some deals on PSA I'm looking at, but I don't know which to buy. This http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-stainless-mid-length-1-7-freedom-rifle-kit.html

Is the cheapest, looks like a steal. But then this catalog http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/rifle-kits.html?dir=desc&order=saving has some deals for only 50$ more, and I have no idea if it'still worth it or which to get.

When I say I've never built an AR, I mean it. I'm not afraid to build it, I work in the trades so consider myself competent when it comes to being handy. Plus youtube.

Tl:Dr- PSA has some deals and I want your opinion on which to get, and if you are feeling frisky, which stripped lower to get.
>>
>>33547580
Are you talking about "building" as in pinning an upper to a lower or actually building one?
>>
>>33547580

putting a lpk into a lower isnt exactly like legos, takes some tools.

and youd be better off getting an aero 16 middy assembled upper.
>>
>>33547580
I've got a MOE Freedom kit from PSA I got on sale and it's worked perfectly so far, I've had it about a year now. Just make sure you have an AR wrench, decent punch set and some allen keys and what not and you'll be fine.
>>
>>33547580
the first one you linked is fine, but its bottom of the barrel. now, you might ask "then whats the difference between this and a higher priced one?". some will say durability, quality, longevity, resale value, etc. but when it comes down to it, if youre just shooting dirt and paper at 200 yards or less, itll be fine.
the lower is even more simple- just get which ever one you like. avoid polymer lowers.
as for assembling an AR, its very easy. my only tip is to be extra careful with the springs, sometimes they fly off into oblivion and its annoying as fuck.
>>
soup sandwich barrels are a fucking meme.
>>
>>33547599
From what I understand, these kits are the completed upper, just need to complete a stripped lower, so that lol.

>>33547623
Yeah I've seen that. I've got a buddy who has built a few ar's and has the tools, but is no use when it comes to asking advice. He will basically tell me not to purchase anything under more than what I'm willing to spend, stubborn type.

I get that I'm a total noob to it, just thought it'd be a fun project for the weekend and I've always wanted an AR. I'm appreciating the feedback though
>>
>>33547653
So take the MOE over the what I believe is the classic? It's literally the parts that I don't understand - pros and cons. I see magpul and recognize it so immediately think it's better..but then you have one nitride and one chromed so I don't trust my judgement. I'll be happy with a new AR regardless, just want you more experienced guys to shoot me down the right path.
>>
>>33547719

if you waltz up with a 6 pack and a bag of parts can you get him to assemble it, or is that what you want to do?

watch some cheap assembly vids and poke around to see if you have the basic of basic bitch tools needs. ive seen people put in the bolt stop with tape and pliers
>>
>>33547655
I'd be willing to buy a more expensive kit so long as it's worth it. In the second link I went to the catalog and hit biggest savings, and the magpul mod came up for 40$ more. Has sights too, which I don't think the standard has.
>>
>>33547763
Thanks man for sure. This is something I want to do, thus why I'm searching the lower price points for my first time.

Of course, if I can throw a few more bucks at it and get a better weapon that'd be ideal
>>
>>33547653
Just looked them over again. I take it the nitride would be a better snag than the stainless MOE?
>>
And for anyone thinking I'm not researching this on my own, no worries I am. There is just a ton of conflicting information out there..
>>
>>33547768
if youre set on one of these, this is absolutely worth the $40 and shipping
>http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-stainless-steel-moe-freedom-rifle-kit-with-rear-mbus-77932956.html
its not just the rear sight ($40) but you get a magpul stock ($30), grip ($15), and trigger guard ($8). im a magpul fanboy so take what you want from this, but functionally, its no different than the regular stuff. however, theyre nice upgrades and as you can see, worth the upgrade. sorry if this all sounds weird, im just typing out my thoughts as i think of them
>>
>>33547785

honestly it seems like you want to make the cheapest possible, id go with the first option of the classic freedom or whatever, stainless.

if your willing to spend more, id get a lpk from psa with the magpul moe stuff and an aero upper. should be the cost of the lower, plus 100 for the lpk including stock, and another 350 for the areo upper.

even if you get the cheap classic model yoi can switch out grips, handguatds and stocks pretty easy. which is what youll do even if you get the MOE stuff.
>>
>>33547801
nitride coating (if done correctly) seems to be great. unlike chrome lining, it doesnt change the physical dimensions of the item. and its coating the outside as well. the idea is greater corrosion resistance and durability coupled with the slightly better accuracy of a non chrome lined bore.
>>
>>33547830
What's your budget senpai? As for PSA:
Premium>Freedom>>>>>>>>>>>>>ptac
>>
>>33547623
Different guy, but a genuine, COMPLETE newbie to this, what tools are we talking about? I've actually wanted to get the parts to do something very similar myself.
>>
>>33547889
Tools needed for AR:
>Magpul Ar Wrench
>Magpul Bev Block
>vise
>3 punches (large, medium, small)
>basic tools like screw driver and hammer
>Aeroshell grease
>torque wrench
>>
>>33547889

roll pins are a fucking bitch. roll pin starter punches, and regular roll pin punches. worst part of the build for sure. a vise helps.

if you are installing a barrel, youll need an upper vise block, an armorers wrench and a torque wrench.

watch midwayusa's youtube vid on assembling your ar15.
>>
PSA nitride barrels are supposed to be better than stainless. Their premium/chf is worth a hundred extra bucks if you can swing it. But the basic freedom line really is the best you can get for under $500 unless you are building from scratch withcheap used or donated parts.
>>
>>33547906

how is the bev block? ive been tempted to get their wrench, but i bought a giessele reaction bar with my b day money instead
>>
>>33547842
What's the difference between the one you posted and this more expensive one?
Because these are my two options atm and I have no idea why one is 720$ off-sale and the other 680$. Is it just the stainless vs the nitride?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-moe-ept-rifle-kit-rear-mbus-516444983.html

>>33547855
I do want to make it on the cheaper side for my first build, but I screenshot everything I find useful (phone) and saved your info for a future build. This won't be the first AR I build, I already have a decent gun collection and plan on expanding for years to come.

>>33547870

Ehh around 500$ inc. shipping and ffl, mags, etc.
>>
>>33547889
the upper needs more tools but to assemble a just a lower, the bare minimum is a hammer, a punch, and tool for the castle nut. pic related (although its a shitty basic one).
>>
>>33547925
An alternative is to buy ac15, ruger 556 or m&p 15 for $500. If you want FN CHF barrel then buy a PSA but their QC is spotty. A 6920 OEM is about $650.
>>33547947
G rod is better for high volume work. Bev block is good because it's about 70% cheaper and can be used as a lower block.
>>
>>33547842

This desu famfam is the better deal.
>>
>>33547970
Refer to >>33547980
Just buy a conplete rifle for $500. If you want to build, then build a second one by waiting throughout the year to buy parts on sale, parts you actually want.
>>
>>33547970
>whats the difference?
different barrel, stainless vs nitrided chrome moly. i this is kind of an oversimplification but stainless barrels are supposed to be slightly more accurate, chrome moly barrels are supposed to last longer. in your link, the tirgger is different, nickle plated, i guess thats an upgrade but never having used that particular trigger, i dont know.
>>
>>33547980

yeah im getting paid 500 to put a giessele mk8 on a rifle so i said fuck it and got the bar too.
>>
>>33548022
I've got the EPT trigger on my current AR15, it's a good trigger IMO. A bit on the heavy side for a "target trigger" but it breaks like glass with no creep and at a consistent weight.
>>
>>33548002
Jesus I didn't realize gun prices tanked so hard. You might be right. By the time I'm done building I could have bought an assembled rifle for the same cost and no labor. Which of the 3 do you recommend?
>>
Btw, thanks to all commented. I'm going to go pass out but am totally satisfied with the info.

Looks like this thread might stay alive for a bit so maybe I'll be back on to finish reading it.
>>
>>33548064

get the colt and realize all the things you want different, then make a build off that. you might tool up in the meantime.
>>
File: 20170221_171910.jpg (873KB, 1400x1050px)
20170221_171910.jpg
873KB, 1400x1050px
I've put together 7 PSA kits. Most of them were on PSA lowers, some on Anderson lowers. I helped a couple friends with their kits and did 5 for myself. One rifle got traded but not for any reason other than I wanted what the other guy had.

Putting a lower together is stupid easy. You need a cheap castle nut wrench, long screwdriver, hammer, punch and some masking tape. It's a half hour job.
>>
>>33548036
Wtf? Who paid you $500 to put on a rail?
>>
>>33548064
Wait for a sale. Saw a Colt OEM 1 last week for $650 +$25 shipping. Check r/ gundeals, slickguns and gunwatcher. There's a ruger 556 for 475 on r gundeals. Don't pay more than around $500 for M&p, ruger or Aero.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.