[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do U.S. Troops Risk Brain Injury When They Fire Heavy Weapons?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/04/05/522613294/do-u-s-troops-risk-brain-injury-when-they-fire-heavy-weapons

>The concern centers on the possibility of brain injuries from shoulder-fired weapons like the Carl Gustaf, a recoilless rifle that resembles a bazooka and is powerful enough to blow up a tank.
>>
I've heard that they only allow for two or three training shots a day due to safety concerns.
Where I come from we only got like six shots in total during my conscription due to budget concerns.
One thing is certain, 'ol charlie really knows how to clear your sinuses, blasts the snot right out of your head.
>>
Can't have brain injury....

If your brain barely works
>>
Cyborgs wouldn't have this issue. Humans are soft pieces of shit.
>>
>>33544530
... Well I'm pretty sure I'm not brain damaged after firing 10 of these in the space of an hour. Although I think that is what someone with brain damage might say.
>>
>>33543923
I was Infantry. What the flipping fuck is a Carl Gustaff?

Maybe I fired too many Carl's and my brain got gustaffed.
>>
>>33543923
Cant risk an injury if its already damaged.
>>
>>33544597
>I was Infantry. What the flipping fuck is a Carl Gustaff?
>Maybe I fired too many Carl's and my brain got gustaffed.

>Infantry
>Doesn't know about old Charlie Golf

Lel check out this cherry pogleg bitch
>>
>>33544552
You build up immunity to large blasts by exposing your head to firecrackers, then slowly working up till you can take tannerite to the face
>>
>>33544696
You must have fired too many to not recognize the joke.
>>
15 year E7 Mortar platoon Sgt here-
small mortars (60 and 81mm) are not that bad but when firing the 120mm ones we have to wear double ear pro AND by the book can't fire more than a ten round FFE during training due to concussion risk. Not that we *dont* do it... many a 30 round per tube FFE has resulted in puking on the gun line. Fun? yep. Good idea? Nope.
>>
>heavy weapons training day
>everyone in platoon gets to fire the Gus a few times
>I'm the only one who can hit shit with it due to fucked up sight and my ability to use Kentucky windage
>PSG tells me I'm gonna be the new platoon Gus gunner
>Fire it about 8 times then AG for that shit for the entire rest of the platoon which is even worse than firing the fucking thing IMO, probably 40+ shots
>feel fine until I wake up the next morning and spend the next 3 days feeling like I just got punched in the nuts
>don't even get to be the Gus gunner because 2 guys in my squad get kicked out for doing blow in the barracks
10/10 would Gus again
>>
>>33544775

i remember on fort hood a decade ago they had a guy shoot a mortar and it ended up going off into town lines a few miles off and alot of people got fired that day

i think that shit might be cooking their brains over there, next thing we'll know the sequel to concussion will come out starring will smith and the new plot will revolve around crazy artillery firing teams blowing up shopping malls
>>
>>33543923

In Norway and Sweden gunners are only allowed three practice shooter per day maximum.

Firing the CG is kind of a rough experience, but the thing is it's actually an outdated and outmoded bit of kit that simultaneously has been kept alive due to developments in it's ammunition and a real lack of any effort to truly replace it.

Firing large caliber weapons and being near them during discharge does almost certainly have an adverse effect on brain tissues, but the extent of these damages is highly debated. Some insist that it is immediately damaging, others say it has long term effects from constant exposure, and others say it's no worse than drinking alcohol.
>>
File: Carl Gustav.jpg (91KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
Carl Gustav.jpg
91KB, 1024x681px
Uncle Carl thread?
>>
>>
File: US SOF Carl Gustav.jpg (636KB, 4288x2848px) Image search: [Google]
US SOF Carl Gustav.jpg
636KB, 4288x2848px
>>
>>33544738
This is true, that's why they like to wake you up with firecrackers in basic training
>>
What are the doctrinal differences between the SMAW and the Gustav?

Who gets what? When is each used? Etc...
>>
>>33545167
>SMAW
The SMAW is a US Marine Special Pre-order Day1 DLC Deluxe piece of equipment only usable by the marines.
For those branches of the military that lacks the special dick sucking prerequisites needed for the SMAW there is 'ol Gus.
>>
>>33544738
Kek
>>
>>33543923

oh fuck off npr jesus christ im so glad you losing your funding you quiet communist fuckbois
>>
File: 1430437898539.jpg (226KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1430437898539.jpg
226KB, 2048x1365px
>>33543923
Yeah the CG can fuck with your internals if you fire too many in succession.
>>
Just give them to Marines. They are functionally retarded to begin with.
>>
>>33547651

I fired six in a row once, as fast as we could load them on a live fire PL attack. I felt fuckin weird afterward, a bit dazed, it made me crave a smoke for some reason.
>>
>>33544986
This isn't true for Sweden anymore.
>>
>>33547793
That would be brain damage. Welcome to potato.
>>
>>33544986
The CG is the most modern rocket launcher we have, though.
>>
>>33547793
That's just adrenaline. I felt the same way when I got punched in the face once.
>>
What other weapons have this problem?

Do RPGs cause this too?
>>
>>33548469
Nope, I don't think so. They have other issues (poor rocket safeties, literally a plastic cap over a detonation button).
>>
>>33547793
>Crave a smoke after

That's called an orgasm.
>>
>>33547642
>science is communism
...wut.

It's already been established that PTSD has a physical link, due to micro-tearing and scarring in the brain from explosive shockwaves. This doesn't seem too farfetched, we didn't evolve in an environment with grenades and shit after all.
>>
>>33548469
RPGs don't create massive amounts of pressure when launched
>>
>>33549098

I didn't think mortars did either, but someone else posted previously about being affected by firing a lot of them.
>>
>>33549333
Carl Gustavs and Mortars both propel their grenade by a single explosion, like a regular firearm. This requires quite a large, instant explosion. Rocket propelled grenades like the RPG are driven forward by a rocket, hence the initial blast doesn't need to be as violent.
>>
>>33549380

That makes sense, thanks anon
>>
>>33543923
I... guess? it makes sense. I fired something as puny as an AR-10 for the first time recently, and even it gave an extremely minor headache for a couple minutes afterwords from rattling my eyeballs and teeth, even standing 5 feet behind my buddy while we took turns. I wonder if tank crewmen have pounding heads after a day of training.
>>
File: 1394063023464.gif (858KB, 240x228px) Image search: [Google]
1394063023464.gif
858KB, 240x228px
>>33549554
>>
>>33547651
The guy's nose is bleeding because he held his breath when firing.
It's the same principle with the RPG-7 - when you fire wu're supossed to exhale, so the pressure doesn't wind you.
>>
>>33549633
I've never consciously exhaled while firing the Carl Gustav and I've never had this problem, I've met a lot of people that violently expel snot and occasionally blood from their noses when firing but this just never happen to me and a lot of other users I know.

I have however always been completely relaxed when firing, something I know that many others are not.
>>
There was a poor fuck who had a TBI from fireing an SMAW over 40 times in one day during the battle for fallujah.

Called him the rocket man.
>>
>>33548363
LMFAO
>>33547793
SORRY SON
>>
>>33544779
>ability to use kentucky windage
Is kentucky windage hard? I always imagined it to be "lazy" method compared to adjusting dials.
>>
>>33550083

Pretty damn easy, have you ever shot any kind of firearm or a BB gun? You just adjust according to your original hit. A lot quicker that adjusting your sights and praying you hit, IMO.
>>
>>33549554

If you're firing from an enclosed space with a muzzle brake, I could see it.

I felt the same way after shooting my M1A Scout in the above conditions.
>>
>>33550083
>>33550160
I don't know what kind of sights you use on the American CGs but I mainly used the one on page 39 in this document and it made "kentucky windage" extremely easy. It's not hard with the iron sights either, it's generally a very easy weapon to hit with.

https://hemvarnet.se/UserFiles/Utbildningsgrupper/Sodertornsgruppen/filer/Soldr_Grg.pdf
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.