[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pistol vs. Revolver

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 220px-Question_mark.svg.png (5KB, 220x385px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Question_mark.svg.png
5KB, 220x385px
A friend of mine recently asked me wherther revolvers or semi-auto pistols are generally better for self defense situations.

I argued that revolvers can't jam and are generally easier to use, but double-action requires a heavier trigger pull; while semi-auto pistols have a much lighter pull and usually a larger magazine.

What are your thoughts on this? And which gun do you carry and why?
>>
>>33540796

A revolver is good for women and people with weak arms since no slide.

A semi auto pistol has more capacity which means you can triple tap a dindu assailant to make sure he goes down and can be easily reloaded and the ammo is easy to carry.

Though I love wheel guns a pistol is better for anyone with enough strength to pull the slide.
>>
>>33540827
>good for women and people with weak arms

"Okay Sally you're a woman so you should have no problem with this .357 mag snub nose according to anon"
>>
>>33540827
What about the ease of use aspect? I think that a revolver requires less knowledge and is easier to use in a dangerous situation.

When you're full of adrenaline, you sometimes do the dumbest things, like opening up a calculator app to call someone because it has a number pad - so the less actions required to successfully shoot, the better
>>
>>33540845

>What about the ease of use aspect? I think that a revolver requires less knowledge and is easier to use in a dangerous situation.
>Rack slide, pull trigger
vs
>Pull trigger

I mean, it's one more motion which is easy to turn to muscle memory. I don't really see it as such a big diference.

The problem is and will always be with revolvers is that they have a small capacity vs modern day pistols and also take longer to reload.
>>
>>33540880
Yeah, but imagine you're an inexperienced shooter. You go to the range maybe once a year just to check if everything is working.

Then, when you need to use the gun, you don't have that sort of muscle memory.

I personally agree with the capacity aspect and the lighter trigger pull of the semi auto, but just the fact that you could pull the trigger and have the gun not shoot can cost you your life.
>>
>>33540896

>Buy gun for self defense
>Don't train with it

Eh... that a really dumb idea.

Though I could see someone like a grandma making use of a wheel gun.
>>
>>33540937
Of course it's dumb, but there are a lot of people out there who think somewhat like this:

>see dindus on TV having a chimp-out
>decide to go to local gun shop
>buy the cheapest gun they have
>fire it once at the range
>done

People like to see guns as "This will keep me safe" and then they stop caring about them. It's why people who have an antivirus installed don't give a shit what they download because "The antivirus will keep me safe"
>>
>>33540796

Quality revolvers aren't much if any more reliable than a quality automatic. Especially when comparing them after abuse and not just round count.

There are autos that are double/single action (DA/SA). Not just striker fired or SA only.

Depending on the size of the gun and caliber it can hold many more

I carry a glock 19 but I love my model 686. I would always suggest carrying what you're best at shooting but if you can get better with an automatic then do it over a revolver
>>
>>33540844
>.22lr
>.38 special
>many other irrelevant calibers
>>
>>33540998
>implying .38 Special is irrelevant
>>
>>33540796
You do know that revolvers can jam and when they do that they're infinitely harder to get functioning again right?
>>
>>33540896
You could go with something like the Double Tap or the BTJ DA. That's frankly about as simple as you can get.
>>
>>33541012
Revolvers can malfunction, yes, but I believe that it happens a lot less frequently than with semi-auto pistols (this is just a feeling though, I have no hard evidence to support that)
>>
>>33541031

The thing about revolvers is not reliability of the gun but the fact that if you have a failure to fire from the ammo side it's a simple pull the trigger again while with a semi you need to rack the slide.
>>
>>33541031
Having owned quite a few of each it's typically going to be one of two things. The first and least problematic is bad ammo. I've had factory ammo, including a hit that's cost over 3 bucks a round, jump crimp and stick. That's not that big of a deal. The worse one is on trigger reset. A lot of revolvers will lock up from not having proper full length reset. Bad enough to need tools or a fair amount of physical strength to unfuck the cylinder. That is not what you want to happen in the heat of the moment. With a pistol just rack it again. If it malfunctions your down time is gonna be down by far much less time.
>>
>>33540796
>I argued that revolvers can't jam
F U D D L O R E

Revolvers generally only jam due to ammo but that's not insignificant because revolvers are also subject to more of that type of failure. If a primer pops out a little in a semi-auto it likely won't matter but that can stop the cylinder in a revolver, as can too much dirt and/or cheap ammo. My GP100 and my dad's 629 have both been stopped up after relatively short sessions of cheap ammo. I've even encountered ammo that my GP wouldn't even accept because the primers were sticking out too far.

Slapping out a cylinder isn't all that difficult but it's more complex than TRB (Tap the magazine, Rack the slide, *BANG*) because you need to make sure that you don't damage the gun in the process and then, ideally, line up the right chamber when you put the cylinder back in place. Not to mention the super unlikely but still possible stuff like casings slipping under the extractor, which can be a pain in the ass at the range when you still have fine motor control.

As far as reliability goes there really isn't an appreciable difference between semi-autos and revolvers but the fuckups that you're likely to encounter with semi-autos are generally easier to deal with.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.