[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WW2 Thread I Guess

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

How true is the following statement?

>The German invasion caught Russia off guard; the USSR was ill-prepared to deal with a springtime offensive.To stall for time while production of arms caught up with demand, they did, occasionally, use human wave tactics (usually only on former prisoners or in penal battalions). By 1943 however the Soviet war machine had been fully brought to bear. Professional soldiers armed with the motherland's finest had been moved into position, and they proceeded to employ good tactics to destroy the German advance.Germany losing to the weather is a myth; sure, snow and cold slowed them down considerably and lead to deaths even. But no, the greatest fighting force of the time did not lose to a season, they lost to Soviet battle strategy in combination with overwhelming numbers.
>>
>>33537877
Not very, it was 1944 when the soviet war machine had finally been brought up to par.
>>
File: junkersju52chocks.jpg (172KB, 1200x716px) Image search: [Google]
junkersju52chocks.jpg
172KB, 1200x716px
I wish there were more Ju- 52s flying.
Damn sexy plane.
>>
>>33537877
That's true. The weather harmed the Soviets as much as it did the Germans.

Also, the rain was more of a problem than the snow, as it turned all the roads to mud.
>>
american lend lease and inherent soviet savagery is what allowed russia to survive. not unique or special tactics.
>>
>>33537877

No, that's a falsehood. The weather did fatal damage to the German system. And we are talking about more than 'a few' deaths. Besides, it was not just winter. Spring and autumn's mud were also a major issue.
>>
>>33538933

American lend lease did make a difference. But the key to russia's survival was their last-minute move of key military industries to the other side of the Ural mountains where German planes and soldiers could not reach them.
>>
File: 20170405_1113081.jpg (210KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20170405_1113081.jpg
210KB, 900x1600px
My father in law died and we found this in his basement

does anyone know what the medal was for?
>>
The other side
>>
File: 20170405_1113031.jpg (100KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20170405_1113031.jpg
100KB, 900x1600px
>>
>>33541230
>>33541252
It means he did some shit in Poland that the wehrmacht approved of. What else would it be?
>>
Thanks for the info
>>
>>33541230
Fought on the eastern front
>>
Hold that horse. The War Merit Medal was given explicitely to CIVILIANS. Not soldiers. Could be a good story to unearth here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Merit_Medal
>>
>>33539974
You forgot summer, with letal heat and bugs
>>
>>33541646

Heat was bad. But at least German uniform rules allowed for adaption to climate. Not all armies of the time were that considerate.
>>
this for a paper or something?
>>
>>33537877

Soviet steamroller is a myth. During the majority of the war, their forces were numerically inferior, or equal to the Axis until the last years of the war. It's basically cultural posturing from the British and Americans who pretend that they won the war with finesse vs the Soviet hordes.

https://warontherocks.com/2016/07/was-the-russian-military-a-steamroller-from-world-war-ii-to-today/
>>
>>33537877

What defeated the Germans is the same very old Russian strategy: Winning time in exchange of distances. Traditional defensive strategies fail beyond Poland since there's too much territory to defend. The distances themselves are your defenses. The deeper you penetrate Russia, the longer your supply lines, while the Russian ones get shorter and shorter.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.