[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military cameramen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_3955.jpg (105KB, 600x804px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3955.jpg
105KB, 600x804px
Why are they mostly ignored by history
>>
>>33537265
They're nogunz faggot libtard-arts degrees gayboiz, trying to show the rest of the world how evil and terrible war is.
>>
File: IMG_3919.jpg (71KB, 720x543px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3919.jpg
71KB, 720x543px
>>33537331
>>
Because a dude taking a photo of dead japs doesn't make for half as good a propaganda story as the guy who killed them
>>
>>33537265
Out of sight, out of mind.
I'd imagine they have some fucked up stories to tell though, war crimes and shit.
>>
>>33537265
Because the history was what was in front of the camera, not behind.
>>
File: D2X_BushHawk.jpg (84KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
D2X_BushHawk.jpg
84KB, 560x420px
>>33537265
I would shoot a guy pointing this at me
>>
>>33537331
FPBP
>>
>>33537331
?
>>
because the camera faces forward
>>
>>33537265
They're never in the war pictures.
>>33537802
You'd be a shit actor
>>33537331
Technically liberals are made of ice.
>>33537358
Pic related
>>
>>33537331
t. non-veteran civilian
>>
>>33537265

They go where they are told, do their task, then return to film to their employer the state's propaganda service which picks out the parts it like. You might as well ask why you don't know the names of Disney's Mexican drawing artist. Or the name of the supply cooks. Doesn't matter how brave they were.

The ones who DID make a name for themselves were the cameramen and journalists working for big private magazines and newspapers, because when their work was published their names were on the material by contract agreement. Were they bigger artists than the army ones? Probably not.
>>
>>33537331
The fuck are you on about
>>
File: IMG_0322.jpg (50KB, 350x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0322.jpg
50KB, 350x451px
Dickey Chapelle was pretty badass up until she got killed.
>>
File: IMG_0034.jpg (37KB, 349x379px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0034.jpg
37KB, 349x379px
>>33537265
Because they're the ones documenting history.
>>
>>33540667
What you said isn't wrong. But we place journalist with them because it's American tax dollars that fund everything and people want to know how that's being spent.

I don't think negatively of them for it. Take the guy who wrote Generation Kill, yes I know it's a mini series also but the book is better. He just reported what he saw and wasn't ashamed to admit the stupid shit he did also. I'll take some pen jockey before some Navy Seal writes another book and obviously tells lies. *Cough Markus Luttrel Cough*
>>
Who photographs the cameramen?
>>
>>33540699

Hahah no. You are documenting something when you show a story in all its facets. An independent journalist can theoretically do that. An army cameraman is there to get intel for his superiors. If the superiors then decide to let the public see any of for reasons of their own it then that is nice, but not the reason it was made. Documentary STYLE sure - but so was the Blair Witch.

I do of course appreciate the material we ARE allowed to see. But it's given us for a reason.
>>
>>33540709

Are you mad? Do you really think the military want to see how their tax money are spent, or why? The journalists are placed there, ahaha 'embedded', to tell the public how they should think the money is spent, to justify the war, to raise interest and support in the war. Any journalists in our time thinking they are in a neutral position like that are imbeciles.
>>
>>33537265
>romanticizing war
All of those idiots should be shot
>>
>>33540737
So all of /k/
>>
Because they're the ones making it
>>
File: TONK-53-81-R19[1].jpg (161KB, 695x700px) Image search: [Google]
TONK-53-81-R19[1].jpg
161KB, 695x700px
If you're interested in careramen at war, watch Veillées d'armes by Ophuls. It's mainly about Sarajevo but talks a lot about the reasons behind the job.

>>33540667
Erm, Schoendoerffer?
Oscar for best documentary with the Anderson Platoon, a handful of recognized war movies, even theshort movies he made in the army get praise for how ahead of their time they were. A lot of good photographers and movie makers enlisted in the army: Ford, Capra,... It's part of their career. They just don't become generals.
>>
File: MV2896-Death-of-Rose.jpg (1MB, 4303x2705px) Image search: [Google]
MV2896-Death-of-Rose.jpg
1MB, 4303x2705px
>>33537265
Because 90% of what they produced was staged, or at the very least dramatized. If you read the histories or memoirs of Signal Corps cameramen from WWII, it's a contentious topic. Their initial mission may have been to provide honest documentation of the war, but it became clear that those who provided dramatized footage were rewarded and those who didn't, criticized.

Compare the work of Tony Vaccaro, an American soldier who carried a camera, to official Signal Corps photos and the difference is clear. He also had the advantage of candid access to fellow soldiers who didn't treat him like a reporter, freedom from censors, and the ability to capture graphic depictions of combat that would have otherwise been locked away in the OWI's "chamber of horrors."
>>
File: and then christmas.webm (3MB, 616x480px) Image search: [Google]
and then christmas.webm
3MB, 616x480px
>>33543675
There's a documentary called 'Mein Krieg' about several German soldiers who, like Voccaro, happened to be hobbyist photographers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKEKupjmzk
>>
>>33537331
>implying that a liberal has balls to go to war.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.