[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wadcutter for defensive round?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: wadcutter.jpg (25KB, 796x342px) Image search: [Google]
wadcutter.jpg
25KB, 796x342px
I have a .357 LCR but the .357 hollowpoint is painful to use and I've heard in a one inch barrel its not much more effective than a .38. anyway is a wadcutter handy for defense or is that a meme?
>>
They'll work as good if not better than FMJ. I shot an aggressive coydog with a .38spl wadcutter and it caved its head in.
>>
>>33534408
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadcutter
nigger if your going to use it your life is at stake shut the fuck up and use modern ammo you can take the pain.
>>
>>33534408
I have one piece of advice for your bitch wrist problem.
>git gud
>>
>>33534408
That is a massive backwards leap from .357 magnum
>>
.357 out of a snubnose is full retard.

Just make a good decision for once in your life and stick with .38 self defense rounds.
>>
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4336-BUG-s-380-ACP-vs-38-Sp

>With few exceptions, the vast majority of .38 Sp JHP's fail to expand when fired from 2" barrels in the 4 layer denim test. Many of the lighter JHP's demonstrate overexpansion and insufficient penetration in bare gel testing. Also, the harsher recoil of the +P loads in lightweight J-frames tends to minimize practice efforts and decrease accuracy for many officers. The 158 gr +P LSWCHP offers adequate penetration, however in a 2" revolver the 158gr +P LSWCHP does not reliably expand. If it fails to expand, it will produce less wound trauma than a WC.

>Target wadcutters offer good penetration, cut tissue efficiently, and have relatively mild recoil. With wadcutters harder alloys and sharper leading edges are the way to go. Wadcutters perform exactly the same in both bare and 4 layer denim covered gel when fired from a 2" J-frame.

>When faced with too little penetration, as is common with lightweight .38 Sp JHP loads or too much penetration like with the wadcutters, then go with penetration. Agencies around here have used the Winchester 148 gr standard pressure lead target wadcutter (X38SMRP), as well as the Federal (GM38A) version--both work. A sharper edged wadcutter would even be better... Dr. Fackler has written in Fackler ML: "The Full Wadcutter--An Extremely Effective Bullet Design", Wound Ballistics Review. 4(2):6-7, Fall 1999)

>There is no reason to go with .357 mag in a J-frame, as the significantly larger muzzle blast and flash, and harsher recoil of the .357 Magnum does not result in substantially improved terminal performance compared to the more controllable .38 Special bullets when fired from 2” barrels.
>>
File: 1375065928911.jpg (35KB, 247x310px) Image search: [Google]
1375065928911.jpg
35KB, 247x310px
I got an old H&R 32 swl hand me down...
Mfw wad cutters out of that ol broad do despicable things to anything within 20yds.
>>
I took some .44spl wad cutters and shot them at an old car hood.
It didn't penetrate but it did knock the paint off in about a 1 foot diameter circle.
I wanna see what it would do to someone's rib cage.
>>
>>33534408
It's a round developed to punch nice holes in paper. Some people swear by them: http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/wadcutter-ammo-self-defense/
They'll kill something and that's about the limit of consensus. I doubt they penetrate more than a jacketed round, or suck next to hollow points, or are "pointless" unless you're talking about the tip. .357 has dramatically more power than a 38sp out of any revolver, even with a 1.8" barrel. Out of a short barrel you just lose most of the advantages of the round and wind up with roughly as much muzzle energy as a 45ACP. A 38sp out of the same weapon, even with SD loads, is going to be on par with a .380.

Whether it's worth it is your decision, but you really shouldn't be worried about the recoil in a SD conceal handgun. Train mostly with 38sp if you want to, but keep the strongest SD round loaded when you carry because "ow my wrist" is not a factor when you fire at max 5 rounds at a very close target that is trying to murder/eat you.
>>
>>33534408
So just use .38 special in it. The .357 LCR is more than capable of firing them, and they're plenty powerful for self-defense, no matter what mall ninja caliberfags say.
>>
>tfw I found some of the last handloads my grandpa ever made, some wadcutter .38s
>>
Lucky Gunner tested wadcutters and they penetrated but they didn't expand.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/
>>
>>33534408
look at gel test videos, it's not any better than FMJ. It's definitely lethal, but if you really hate something, shoot it with a hollowpoint.
>>
If you can load the wad cutters backwards then you have an old school defensive round that expands like crazy
>>
>>33535460
neat, thanks
>>
Cop used wadcutters to kill a 73 year retired librarian in Florida last year.

>be cop
>shoot old lady
>"gee I thought they were blanks"
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.