[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does .380 serve a purpose?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: 380vs9mm1.jpg (34KB, 350x243px) Image search: [Google]
380vs9mm1.jpg
34KB, 350x243px
I carry a glock 26. Most people I know who carry choose 9mm.

9 mil guns are so small these days and I really dont think .380 gives enough recoil reduction to justify carrying it.

I really cant think of a use for it, not even for small framed shooters.
>>
>>33532879
>I really cant think of a use for it,

Then you obviously aren't thinking hard enough
>>
>>33532918
Go on.
>>
>>33532879
>I
>I
>I
>I
>I

Good thing people who think of purposes for .380 aren't you, otherwise they may experience some sort of existential crisis.

Amazing how you can't think of a purpose, and yet Glock, Ruger, Kel-Tec, Seecamp, Smith and Wesson, SIG Sauer, and many more continue to sell them to people who just can't think of a reason to use it. In fact, Hornady can't think of any reason to produce XTP bullets, or perhaps Critical Defense loadings, I just don't get why Cor Bob still cranks out those 80gr JHP. The idiots at Federal just can't think of any reasons to keep on making Hydra Shoks either, but for some reason they just keep coming into my gun shop when I sell out of them.

Really activates my almonds ya know
>>
>>33532879
>smaller than 9mm "pocket" guns
>handles recoil better

Boy that was easy.
>>
>mfw I keep refreshing the thread, waiting for this exact reply.

>>33532983
>>
>>33532983

Its almost like "I" am asking a question, perhaps in the event that I do not understand something and am going to refer to the potential wisdom of someone else.

Just because it sells doesnt mean its good. It means everyone perceives it to be good.

So here I am asking why and your response is
"hur dur its obviously useful"
>>
I carry a glock 27. Most people I know who carry choose .40S&W.

.40S&W guns are so small these days and I really dont think 9x19 gives enough recoil reduction to justify carrying it.

>>
>>33532879
>9 mil guns are so small these days

Which means heavier recoil. Some people dont like the sharp recoil that small nines produce.

A .380 has a small bit of recoil reduction, I'll give you that. However when you look at shooting a nine and a .380 from the same weapon platform (same size, weight, etc), you will notice that the recoil difference is great especially when that platform is a pocket sized pistol.

While it might not be as potent as a nine, it is vastly superior in getting rapid successive shots on target relatively accurately compared to a nine of the same size. Im talking about moderately sized .380s, not the ultra small pocket versions.

I think this makes it ideal for people who are more focused on getting shots on target instead of just blasting away with a potent caliber. Of course there are smaller .380s that shoot harshly but those are more for the people who want real deep concealment.

I carry a g42, not because it was glocks first slimline model but because of the opposite. It was a large "pocket" carry pistol. Shooting it is an absolute joy and I find myself easily putting shots on target with relative easy. Sure, you can be proficient with larger, more potent calibers but that does require constant training to maintain that level skill. With the g42, even with minimal training someone can pick it up and use it to defend their lives. This is great for someone who doesnt, or cannot spend much time/resources on training.

tl;dr: of course .380 serves a purpose, from backup pistols to pocket carry, the range of use is indeed there.
>>
>>33532997
Yeah but, 9mm pocket guns are already approaching that level of small, at least by my observations and what i've been exposed too.

I've shot a few pocket .380s. Theyre still snappy little shits. Its better, just really MUCH better?
>>
I carry a glock 33. Most people I know who carry choose .357 SIG.

.357 SIG guns are so small these days and I really dont think .40S&W gives enough recoil reduction to justify carrying it.

>>
>>33533030
Recoil difference between 40 and 9 is greater than 9 and 380, in my experience by a significant amount.

40 is kind of an oddball round anyway. Wouldnt say its bad though.
>>
>>33533044
No.

However, the big benefit of a .380 mousegun is that it can still use a direct blowback action. 9mm can't, which means there will ALWAYS be a size advantage.

Currently even the smallest of the mousegun 9's just barely qualify for pocket carry in normal pants. The majority of subcompact .380's can be comfortably pocket carried in even slacks or golf pants (notorious for small pockets that sit on the front of the thigh and print like a mofo).
>>
I carry a glock 39. Most people I know who carry choose .45 GAP.

.45 GAP guns are so small these days and I really dont think .357SIG gives enough recoil reduction to justify carrying it.

>>
>>33533060
I'm a limp wristed faggot who finds 9mm much more comfortable than 40 so that's what I carry.
Personal preference matter much more in a self defense situation. You need to have the gun that YOU shoot well.
>>
I carry a glock 36 Most people I know who carry choose .45 ACP.

.45 ACP guns are so small these days and I really dont think .45 GAP gives enough recoil reduction to justify carrying it.

>>
I carry a glock 29. Most people I know who carry choose 10mm.

10mm guns are so small these days and I really dont think .45 ACP gives enough recoil reduction to justify carrying it.

>>
In most EDC scenarios where you're not going to be facing armor, a .380 pistol that can be more easily and ergonomically carried and practiced with serves better than a 9mm for some people.

It really is the lowest caliber I'd consider safe for self-defense alongside 9x18 Makarov, but it's not going to bounce off clothing like fuddy five tards believe. Hell, in the old days before modern manufacturing smaller calibers were the norm and did their job just fine.
>>
I carry a middle 29. Most people I know who carry choose 44mag.

44mag guns are so small these days and I really dont think .357 gives enough recoil reduction to justify carrying it.

>>
>>33533106
Model 29* thanks phone.

But really. 44mag minimum
>>
>>33532879
>9 mil
fuck my autism hates "9 mil"
i kinda get it when in conversation, its easier to say than millimeter. but in fucking text you have to work even harder to say mil. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>33532929
Pocket pistol for small people who wear small pants that have small pockets.

Totally worthless to the average size man tho
>>
File: Casull.png (755KB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
Casull.png
755KB, 1920x1090px
>>33533039
Thats one thing I can I havent done, is shoot the same handgun in two different calibers. Just pocket guns that to me seem snappy enough to be annoying anyway, but not small enough to really... make that much of a difference? I guess if that extra mm in side length is worth it.

>>33533117
If you autists arent rockin a .454 you arent doing mouse guns right.
>>
>>33533147
You've never done 357 and 38? You should.
>>
>>33533147
say i havent done*
>>
>>33533060
im a fag thats only non-.22 pistol has been an XD-40 with the 4" barrel. i think it weighs around 32 OZ', how much recoil will be felt with a .380 out of the Sig P238? I'm not worried about recoil, but ive never really felt 9mm.. so i ask this instead
>>
>>33533147
>bottom feeder
>454 casull
>what is 460 Roland
>>
>>33533152
Ikr? I just havent had the opportunity yet. Sadly im a poorfag and range trips are a three times a year event, if im lucky.

Damn college budget.
>>
>>33533165
Not memeworthy
>>
>>33532879
No, it's useless.
>>
>>33533147
The recoil is really affected by mass. That extra mm comes with mass. The more mass there is in the firearm, the more recoil will be absorbed. It really revolves around momentum, impulse, and conservation of energy which all revolve around mass.

I attached a small simplified analysis I came up with on matlab to show mathematically why there is such a difference between the two similarly sized firearms.

As you can see, the mass difference is merely 100g and the most noticeable difference is the momentum between the two cartridges.

Hopefully that helps.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.