[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Soft body vs hard body armor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

Which absorbs more energy, kevlar or steel plates?

I hear all the time that sometimes it's not even the penetration that kills you, it's the impact of the bullet. I also hear that level 3 and up armor is pointless because the impact of say, .308, will just kill you by sheer force, doesn't even have to penetrate. How true is that? Would having kevlar vs steel play a role in that at all?
>>
>>33528816
Go to bed, lad.
>>
>>33528816
Ok time to put some of this to bed. Do you have a neck injury, really bad anemia, or geriatric brittle bones? If no the armor you wear will stop whatever it is rated for with some badass bruising on your side with minimal lasting injury if anything actually hits hard enough to knock you down. That said shotguns do suck to get nailed with but so long as it impacts as armor life only sucks for a few days. I vaguely recall some annon showed level 4 plates stop a 338 lapula and that or the 375 h&h are about all I would worry about for impact shock as anything stronger will pen level 4 and the smaller mag barrel burners are rare enough to notbe much of a worry
>>
>>33529151
But is this in reference to soft or hard body armor?
>>
>>33528816
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaS_2l8nGdg
>>
So you guys are saying that I done goofed by buying 30lbs. worth of plates thinking it would absorb rifle rounds better instead of buying kevlar?
>>
>>33528816
Who unironically uses steel plates instead of ceramic?
>>
>>33531292
No you done goofed by buying steel and not going ceramic.
>>
>>33531431
Who un ironic ally wants to take multiple hits instead of two, max?
>>
>>33531292
>get shot and take it
>walk around wearing an extra 30lbs that makes you slower and does nothing but weigh you down
Pick one.
>>
>>33531453
Ceramics are capable of taking multiple hits as well genius.
>>
>>33528816
>I hear all the time that sometimes it's not even the penetration that kills you, it's the impact of the bullet. I also hear that level 3 and up armor is pointless because the impact of say, .308, will just kill you by sheer force, doesn't even have to penetrate.
This is the most retarded thing I've read all day.
>Which absorbs more energy, kevlar or steel plates?
Ceramic
>>
>>33531486
I know, that's why I said two shots instead of one.
>>
>>33531510
My b I thought you were being sarcastic
>>
>>33531509
Then explain this? If he was bleeding and in pain from a 9mm, imagine a .223 or even a .308

https://youtu.be/s2z1LKfit6w
>>
>>33528816

I think you're going about this all wrong.
>>
File: 1465710458494.png (101KB, 741x727px) Image search: [Google]
1465710458494.png
101KB, 741x727px
>>33531870
>Then explain this?
He's wearing a kevlar vest, kevlar is just fabric, of course it hurts, but in your video it looks as if it slightly penetrated.
>imagine a .223 or even a .308
You're retarded, it would go right through the most kevlar is generally rated for are handgun rounds. You would need plates for rifle rounds.
See
>>33531179
>>
>>33532134
>>
You wear both ceramic and cevlar, you even have to have some damper between your armor and body if you dont want to find your lung somewhere down in stomach.
If you using ceramic plates than cevlar is vital because ceramic tend to cramble when getting hit. You body dont want recive those fragments. Thats why you need cevlar under your ceramic plate. Oh and ceramic plate most likely wont stand second hit in the same area.
>>
>>33528816
Ceramic plates are lighter but take less impacts before they are trashed. Steel will last longer but is heavier.

The impact alone will not kill you without prior conditions like heart problems unless you are hit by some massive round. A friend of mine took an 82mm mortar to the chest with ceramic plates and lived. The rest of his fire team didn't, still haunts him to this day.
What kills you is the trauma caused internally when the round rips through your body and organs, or massive hemorrhaging.

308 by sheer force will not kill you with a direct hit to the chest.
>>
>>33532635
>308 by sheer force will not kill you with a direct hit to the chest

[citation needed]
>>
>>33532901
NIJ testing criteria and similar testing criteria used by the militaries of many NATO countries as well as Russia?

part of all these test is clay deformation (or equivalent measure of blunt trauma) behind the ballistic plates or whatever
if a bullet resistant article allows deformation of the clay to whatever measure that has been determined to be equivalent to cracked ribs or internal trauma, then the article does not pass the tests

all these tests are two part
penetration/perforation, and deformation of the backing material
>>
>>33533315
in other words, anything rated to stop .308 will not only not be penetrated/perforated by .308, but will also spread the impact sufficiently so that there is a low risk of serious harm from blunt trauma
>>
>>33533315
>>33533324

Citation still needed
>>
>>33533587
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/223054.pdf#page=17

It's in there somewhere, but I can't be fucked to read all 89 pages to find exactly what I/you're looking for

here's from a manufacturer
http://www.ukbodyarmour.com/faq.htm
it lists the maximum backface deformation for several calibers
for example, a level IV plate should stop a .30 M2 AP projectile with a maximum of 44mm of deformation of the clay backface
>>
>>33531108
You're not really that stupid are you?
>>
>>33533759
>*stupid, are
>>
I don't know what shit you guys are smoking, but neither kevlar or steel (or ceramic) will absorb the energy of the bullet. Conservation of momentum. What they do is stop you from having a hole in your body and dissipate the energy over a larger surface area.
>>
>>33531457
>does nothing
>>
>>33531947
This man gets it
>>
Actually I think there is less blunt force trauma with steel plates because the back face deformation is much less than that of ceramic. If you want to reduce blunt force trauma get a potomac combat shirt, it uses spacer mesh pads which allow the armor to sit off your chest a bit more, this allows the armor and subsequent blunt force trauma to expand into more airspace before it reaches your soft tissue, reducing the damage. Also inorder to obtain a level IIIa, level III rifle plate, and level IV rifle plate rating by the NIJ I believe all of those rating specify that the round not only be stopped but also within certain back face deformation parameters, basically the amount of backface deformation can't be so great as to cause enough injury that the round would still kill you even if it was stopped. back face deformation is an indicator of the amount of blunt force trauma you would be subjected to if shot while wearing the armor.
>>
>>33532294
>cevlar
>>
>>33533880
What do you think is used to initiate and propagate cracks in ceramic? Elastically deform steel? Stretch the Kevlar fibers? Energy, you fucking retard. The materials are designed to absorb some of the kinetic energy of a projectile, spreading the rest out so it exerts as little pressure as possible. Yes, momentum is conserved. However, momentum alone is useless when attempting to predict terminal ballistics.
>>
>>33534288
It's a kevlar filled with caviar.
>>
>>33536706
>It's a kevlar filled with caviar
>It's a kevlar filled
>It's a kevlar
>a kevlar
>>
>>33528816
steel absorbs more energy, it has more mass.

the energy of a 50 g bullet travelling 1000m/s is equal to the energy of a 80 kg man travelling 25 m/s. you "absorb" energy, you want to reduce velocity, so you have to increase mass. at the end of the day though, a bullet doesn't have enough momentum to impart any serious motion to a man. the same bullet has the same momentum as the man going 0.625 m/s, this is about half walking speed
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.