[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how fast would a tunk gun have to fire a flechette this size

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 23t2zia.jpg (52KB, 1496x622px) Image search: [Google]
23t2zia.jpg
52KB, 1496x622px
how fast would a tunk gun have to fire a flechette this size to blow up a modern MBT?
>>
>>33525400

Fast. Like really fucking fast.
>>
super dooper fast
>>
>>33525400
What is a tunk fun?
>>
Fuck off
>>
Please kill yourself
>>
>>33525400
Super dooper Uber dooper pooper fast
>>
File: IMG_2961.png (229KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2961.png
229KB, 640x1136px
>>33525400
I cant tell you about that flechette but i have this
>>
>>33525450
gun powders max acceleration rate is 5500 fps
>>
>>33525489
Ok sure, but the question was how fast, not how much powder. It's a completely hypothetical question anyway so it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>33525532
go do your own math, cunt
>>
>>33525544
Chill
>>
>>33525570
Don't tell my friend to chill you fucking animal
>>
>>33525450
thank you

this is sufficient to satisfy my shitpost
>>
>>33525450
this is actually wrong

the shell weighs 20.9

DU penetrators weigh about 10 lbs (4.6kg)
>>
The initial order for 2,501 M829A4 rounds in 2014 had a unit cost of $10,100 each.[5] On 20 July 2015, Orbital ATK announced that the M829E4 had passed First Article Acceptance Testing and was entering production.[13] On 12 October 2015, Orbital ATK announced the round had recently received type classification as the M829A4, and was awarded a full-rate production contract to begin in early 2016.[14]

jesus fucking christ

$10k a shot
>>
It would need to be moving close to, at maybe even at, relativistic speeds. Like you would need to shoot it into space fast enough to perform a gravitational slingshot around the sun. It would need to be made from some sort of ayy alloy in order to survive this. Also it would need to be timed and aimed perfectly so it renters the atmosphere and hits the targeted tank.
>>
File: serveimage(3).jpg (355KB, 709x559px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(3).jpg
355KB, 709x559px
"This, recruits, is a 20-kilo ferrous slug. Feel the weight! Every five seconds, the main gun of an Everest-class Dreadnought accelerates one to 1.3 percent of light speed. It impacts with the force of a 38-kiloton bomb. That is three times the yield of the city buster dropped on Hiroshima back on Earth. That means: Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space! (...) I dare to assume you ignorant jackasses know that space is empty! Once you fire this hunk of metal, it keeps going 'till it hits something! That can be a ship, or the planet behind that ship. It might go off into deep space and hit somebody else in ten thousand years. If you pull the trigger on this, you are ruining someone's day, somewhere and sometime!"
>>
>>33525706
Fuck, who ordered the side of salt?
>>
>>33525489
7,900 fps actually
>>
>>33525489
maybe 5500 fpss (feet per second per second). 5500 fps (feet per second) is a unit of velocity.
>>
>>33525450
Depends how you look at it, what matters for penetration is the momentum per surface area, thus we get the approximation that Vflechette = (area of flechette)*(momentum of DU dart)/((area of dart)*(mass of flechette)

giving the flechette 1/12th inch diameter and 1 gram mass, DU dart 40mm diameter (ass pull) and 1500m/s velocity and 4.6kg weight, we get about 20 000m/s as the velocity for the little flechette

Now this technically doesn't answer the question since the energy of the flechette is still only 186kJ in contrast to the 30 megajoules of the DU dart, or about 1000 times smaller, but the flechette technically gets the same penetration if we ignore the material properties which would imply that the flechette gets destroyed
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.