[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How autistic is it to own a sword? I'm a well adjusted member

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 19

File: v sword.jpg (68KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
v sword.jpg
68KB, 500x333px
How autistic is it to own a sword? I'm a well adjusted member of society with a full time job and all that good stuff, but I'm a major history buff and have recently thought about getting a sword. It would be something European based so no worries about weeb shit.
>>
File: IMG_0802.jpg (275KB, 1072x488px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0802.jpg
275KB, 1072x488px
It's fine so long as you don't go around telling people how it will beat a gun.
>>
>>33523302
Don't go telling people you own them at all.
Actually just dont own any.
>>
>>33523275
It's cool if it's a tasteful decorative piece thats hanging on a wall or something.

I mean, you could always get a battle-ready one and do the same thing so you could have a real weapon nearby.
>>
>>33523275
Go for it, just make sure it's a sword and not a sword-like-object

I have two swords for HEMA with a custom sharp on order for cutting and just cos.

I do recommend you actually learn how to use whatever sword you decide to go for instead of cutting bottles with bad form like a retard.
>>
>>33523365

How do you learn how to use a sword? Preferably without having to associate with fat people that insist on being addressed as "Sir" and "Milady."
>>
>>33523419
Find your nearest decent HEMA club that hopefully studies a style you're interested in, since HEMA can vary from wrestling through sword and buckler through longsword through backsword, rapier, sabre etc.

I study Fiore dei Liberi's style, which is pretty no-nonsense and is a holistic approach to late Medieval combat from the perspective of a man at arms/knight.
>>
>>33523470
That sounds interesting, do they teach basic fighting principles like boxing/grappling?
>>
>>33523619
Depends which historical martial art

Fiore's system covers:
-grappling
-dagger
-sword vs dagger
-sword in one hand
-sword in two hands
-wide plays
-close plays
-sword in armour
-spear
-sword vs spear
-poleaxe
-mounted fencing (lance and sword)

For a guy named flower he was a hard bastard, and obviously was a psycho with a hatred of working joints, judging by all the locks and breaks.
>>
File: 450[1].jpg (30KB, 339x317px) Image search: [Google]
450[1].jpg
30KB, 339x317px
What company sells a good scottish backsword (broad sword?) the kind with the basket hilt the Highland scots had?

And who sells a good cutlass?
>>
>>33523275
>How autistic is it to own a sword?

About as autistic as it is to paint, or play tennis, or own a gun and decorate it with tactical parts like a GI Joe barbie doll.

Its just another interest or hobby.
>>
>>33524149
Fair point. I feel like telling someone you own a sword automatically makes you seem like a weirdo though.
>>
File: Rhinelander and Raptor 2.jpg (153KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Rhinelander and Raptor 2.jpg
153KB, 720x960px
>>33523275
Yep pretty much, as long as you only drop the "oh yeah I own x# swords btw" line after the second date.

>with a full time job
Good, swords are expensive.
>>
>>33523962
Cold Steel makes decent Scottish basket hilted swords, they also make a decent cutlass. They're not great. I would try to get one used if you can to run down the cost since new Cold Steel stuff is overly expensive when it comes to swords.
>>
File: 1488164176006.png (93KB, 600x860px) Image search: [Google]
1488164176006.png
93KB, 600x860px
>>33526238
hi Tommy. how's it hangin? thyroid acting up again?
>>
>>33523962
Are you the same Anon that's been asking in the last few sword threads? Based on a few quick Google searches this is an alright midrange sword, but the basket is fuckhuge. I'd also question the build quality of this and all the other mass produced swords at the price range, but you get what you pay for. If you want something better you're going to have to pay a lot more, but if you're willing to shell out the money look into Armour Class or Denelli.
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=501435&name=Eglinton+Basket+Hilt+Sword
https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/thread/41576/eglinton-basket-hilt
>>
Anyone have good recommendations for a fairly ambidextrous, curved one-hander? I'd like to use it in my left hand with my pistol in my right.
>>
>>33527392
So a saber?

Try Cold Steel's Polish Saber. Most of Cold Steel's swords aren't good, but that's one of the few exceptions because they got a guy who actually trains to design it.
>>
>>33523275
You are alright anon.
>>
File: 1485506249601.jpg (55KB, 618x562px) Image search: [Google]
1485506249601.jpg
55KB, 618x562px
>>33523275
About as autistic as feeling the need to justify getting something you want on an anime image board.
>>
>>33523619
If your instructor is worth a shit he will teach you about unarmed combat as well. In sword play, regardless if it's single handed or longsword grappling is a huge part of am Schwert techniques.
>>
File: SAM_0097.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0097.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>33523275
faecesbook com/SwordsSzymonChlebowski/

http://szymonchlebowski.pl/en_US/

don't buy Cold Steel trash, ever. this guy makes practical swords by hand, based on real ones with a healthy dose of HEMA experience. and they are cheaper than CS. ask me anything.
>>
>>33523275
Do you REALLY care anon?

Buy the fucking sword already.
>>
>>33528649
Which sword is best for butt play?
>>
>>33528633
>is a huge part of am Schwert techniques

who are you trying to impress with this shit? Leibringen and Armringen are definitely not a "juuuge part" of anything...
>>
File: 1445655099227.jpg (38KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1445655099227.jpg
38KB, 720x720px
>>33523275
>tfw I want to buy an Authentic Artillery Sword from the 1890s
>tfw I spent the money a day earlier on car parts
Save for a few weeks
>tfw it was bought
>>
>>33523275
Not at all as long as you know that a sword is a bad weapon for self-defense in the modern age.

>It would be something European based so no worries about weeb shit.
Are people still self-conscious about this? I prefer European swords as well, but the "weeb" shit gets boring.

>>33523330
(You)

>>33523365
This. Make sure you buy a sword that is made of carbon steel and is not some stainless steel wall hanger (assuming you want to actually do test cutting with it).

>>33523419
Depends. Are you just trying to learn how to cut with it? Or do you want to know how they were actually used? Like it's been mentioned, Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA) is a good place to start. Use this link to find the nearest club/academy.

https://www.hemaalliance.com/club-finders/

I recently started taking classes. Learning from historical sources and sparring is quite fun.

>>33523962
I've seen good reviews for Armour Class, but they're a bit pricey and I'm not sure if they do international shipping. Their website kinda sucks.
>>
In Britain it used to be that any free man could wear a sword on his belt

Now you can't even carry a butter knife
>>
>>33528671
Did someone shit in your cereal? If you deny the importance of unarmed combat in swordplay you're a retard.
>>
Nothing wrong with owning a sword,I mean who the fuck doesn't like swords

But if you want to go swinging it around at least learn how to actually use it and join the nearest HEMA club

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ohmLaZHStmI
>>

*exactly* as autistic as to own a gun

or a car, a house, a horse, a collection of my little ponies, a $5000 bike, a chariot, 10,000 classic albums on vinyl, or anything else.

its only "autistic" if you obsess about them, start going on about them in excruciating detail to people who arent interested, start wearing it in public or daft shit like that.

No object is autistic. how you act about it is what makes you autistic.
>>
>>33528649
Plus buying from a pol you know he's not a cuck.
>>
>>33528824
>In Britain it used to be that any free man could wear a sword on his belt

is a myth that's completely untrue.

in fact, even for lords, the highest ranking members of society, it was illegal to carry a sword in cities, during the medieval era. the only privilege they had was that a lord was permitted to have a page or servant carry their sword behind them.

People were expected to own swords, for the civic duty as militia. that's very different to them being "free" to wear that sword everyday.
>>
>>33523275

I am interesting in a sword here, give me the best place I can find a carbon steel full tang balanced western sword or gladius.
>>
>>33528876
high budget = albion
mid budget = valiant armoury
low budget = don't fucking bother
>>
>>33528886
low budget "Deepeeka" make a surprisingly good range of roman gladius and spatha, popular with reenactors.

quality's a little ropey, but they really are a lot better than most budget-level swords are.
>>
>>33528886
>high budget = albion

albion is expensive shit that isn't half as good as >>33528649

this stems from the simple fact that albion is CnC milled from a wafer flat and if they used stock of appropriate thickness to end up with diamond cross sections of 8-11mm at the spine like real swords have, they'd be milling away more than 2/3rds of the wafer blank - which would be even more expensive. meanwhile a skilled smith can pound bar or flat stock into shape in less time...
>>
>>33528876
>>
>>33528908
here
>>33528649
>>
>>33528876
> give me the best place I can find a carbon steel full tang balanced western sword

you really need to give more detail to get a comprehensive answer for that category - "western sword" could mean a 18th century smallsword, a 16th C rapier, something from the 15th C, the 10th C, viking age. The only thing it really discounts are bronze swords

you need to say where you live. This is an international board. I can list you the best swordsmiths in sweden, the UK, or the Czech Republic, but that's no use if you will only buy from the US.

You need to say your budget. "best place" is one thing, but there's a vast difference between a $300 sword, a $1200 one from albion, and a $5000 custom handmade one.
>>
File: german long sword.jpg (52KB, 279x1270px) Image search: [Google]
german long sword.jpg
52KB, 279x1270px
>>33528915
>but there's a vast difference between a $300 sword, a $1200 one from albion, and a $5000 custom handmade one.

true, a 300€ sword from Szymon Ch. will be a perfectly authentic sword while your Albion Peter Johnson trash will have cast pot metal fittings and a whippyness to it's blade because it lacks the thickness and distal taper as described in >>33528897
>>
>>33528897
I see you have never actually looked at an Albion.

If the real one its representing is 10mm thick at the cross, and tapers to 3mm thick, than that's what they do. Models like the Munich, Knecht or Ringeck are made on 8-9mm thick stock, because that's how thick the originals are. Models like the Ghaddjalt or huscarl are made on 3/16ths or 5mm stock, because that's how thick the real ones are.

Szymon Chlebowski, like Peter Regenyei, Pavel Moc, Lutel, and pretty much all other swordsmiths, start with exactly the same sort of steel stock as albion - Flat barstock of (x) thickness. Whatever you seem to imagine a "wafer flat" is, it certainly has very little resemblance to the reality of swordsmithing.

Forging by drawing out from a brick-shaped billet is not a process that Szymon, or any other commercial smith under $3-4000 does. All the commercial smiths use flat bar stock, which is either ground, milled, or forged to approximate shape prior to detail grinding.
>>
>>33528925
> while your Albion Peter Johnson trash will have cast pot metal fittings and a whippyness to it's blade because it lacks the thickness and distal taper as described in >>33528897

Holy shit. You really have NEVER even held one of albion's jobs.

and you have a major Chlebowski hardon. Not sure if that's you being desperate to suck him off, or just you've never held anyone elses' work, but the bias is comical.

Albion's hilt components are cast in steel, not "pot metal" like you imagine. To be specific, they are cast in an approximately .30 to .40 percent medium carbon steel, and are approximately 35-40 Rockwell C. Szymon forge-works hilt components from steel, that is also .30 to .40 percent medium carbon steel, and are approximately 35-40 Rockwell C hardness. There is *no* functional difference between good quality castings, and good forgings for this sort of application. Both have thier advantages. for limited run items, forged is far easier and cheaper. for production runs, cast ensures consistency, which is albion's selling point.

Your idea of "whippy blades" and the idea they have no thickness is, quite simply, utter bullshit. you have clearly not looked, yet alone handled one of their weapons, if you are peddling such utter nonsense.

Albion swords do have downsides. the limited availability of scabbards. the price is steep for what you're getting. But your ridiculous ideas that they are "trash" of "pot metal" and "whippy" has absolutely no bearing on reality.
>>
>>33523275
oh look. it's this thread again
>>
File: albundy2.jpg (35KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
albundy2.jpg
35KB, 500x333px
>2017
>people discuss if owning a sword is autistic.

Sigh...
>>
>>33523275
Not at all. Just don't be an autistic edgelord about it. Swords are like airsoft, there's nothing wrong with them on their own, just don't be obsessive and make stupid boasts about them.

Even weeb shit. Hell, get a katana if you want. It's not muh magical folded a thousand times best sword in the world, but it's not a bad sword, and it is an interesting part of history.
>>
I've always wanted a civil war sword. It would look great with my c&b revolver and Springfield musket.
>>
I collect antique swords amongst other antiques. I visit flea markets, antique arms shows, check local adds and buy a blade when the price is right and I like it anyways.
I sold two of the blades I found to a collector, and made more money than I payed for my entire collection.

Likely I'm autistic, but then I learn a lot about history, arts, the history of warfare and got a hobby that gets me around and pays for itself. It is such rewarding when you find a good sword or dagger in a trunk full of garbage, like treasure hunting or gold digging.
>>
It's fairly autistic.
>>
>>33528937
Did some Albion salesman fuck your wife or something?
Szymon makes good work for his price, I won't argue with that, but Albion makes fine swords.
>>
>>33523275
It depends on wether or not you use it and pose with it for cringey pictures. Pics aren't cringey if showing off the sword itself as an item or if HEMA-related. If your pic looks like something out of a cringe thread, then... Yeah.
>>
>>33529442
sorry, was meant for >>33528925
>>
>>33525278
>second date
Where exactly do you think you are?
>>
>>33523275
All about context

Is it a really beautiful looking sword that you display on a nice wooden stand/plaque and only really take down to show guests (or play around with it a bit, but strictly in private)? Not autistic at all.

Do you go into you backyard in the middle of summer with a trench coat and start swinging around with your neighbour trying to avoid starring and you parents unable to look anyone in the neighbourhood in the eye? Very autistic.
>>
File: engarde.jpg (69KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
engarde.jpg
69KB, 600x900px
>>33529443
>>
>>33530194
I see nothing wrong with this.
>>
As long as you don't end up like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ1SzgeFS_4
>>
>>33523275
On a side note, what sword is that specifically? Thing looks beautiful.
>>
>>33530314
>new role model aquired
>>
>>33528853
>is a myth that's completely untrue.
Open carry of swords was legal in Britain until the mid 19th century. Concealed carry of firearms was legal for all free British men and women - as codified by the English Bill of Rights and famously acknowledged by the natural-rights advocate and prominent 18th-century jurist Sir William Blackstone - during the time period 1689-1927 ; between 1920 and 1927, a small fee and a formal slip of paper signed by the local police chief was added to the list of requirements.

Then came the bolshevist paranoia, the Blackwell report and thusly, the final nail in the coffin against British liberty.
>>
I'm looking to get a rapier for 200-300$
Is windlass my best bet?
>>
>>33531538
Open carry of swords is legal in Switzerland, and sometimes required by customs. Interesting enough, daggers are completely outlawed, even possession needs a special weapons permit.
>>
File: landsgemeinde1.jpg (41KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
landsgemeinde1.jpg
41KB, 640x425px
>>33531656
>>
>>33523275
It's more autistic to care than to own one.
>>
>>33531656
>Open carry of swords is legal in Switzerland
Only during official voting days.
>>
File: landsgemeinde3.jpg (161KB, 530x350px) Image search: [Google]
landsgemeinde3.jpg
161KB, 530x350px
>>33531675
At the Landsgemeinde, the yearly assembly of all citizens, everybody shows up with swords to show their status as free man, a tradition going back to the Germanic Thing. To keep things fair and orderly, the head of government is given a Zwei.
>>
>>33531720
>At the Landsgemeinde, the yearly assembly of all citizens, everybody shows up with swords to show their status as free man
And yet, these Swiss "free men" are barred from bearing arms for their defense. The irony is staggering.
>>
>>33523275
Who gives a fuck what you choose to collect in your own home. It's not like you're planning to go outside in full plate armor swinging a sword around screaming "deus vult" in the middle of traffic.
>>
File: landsgemeinde2.jpg (246KB, 1536x1534px) Image search: [Google]
landsgemeinde2.jpg
246KB, 1536x1534px
>>33531684
A sword is classified as a dangerous object (same thing as an axe or a butchers knife), which means it needs valid reason to carry one in public. Tradition is a valid reason. So is transport from/to HEMA practice, or showing it to a friend. As long as you stow the sword in a bag or in the trunk of your car you are perfectly fine.
>>
>>33531642
try contacting historical-market on facebook, or at historical-market.com - they'll make you a better one than windlass, and for around $300
>>
>>33531736
I'm Swiss, the possession of as many fucking guns as he wants is the birthright of every Swiss and shooting one of our finest traditions. However, I also believe that public carrying has to be tightly restricted.
>>
File: schwert_bier.jpg (184KB, 800x1197px) Image search: [Google]
schwert_bier.jpg
184KB, 800x1197px
>feels good
>>
>>33531538
How did they remove arms from the population? Did they confiscate them or were they required to turn them in? We're people compensated at all?
>>
File: 1491235703560.png (371KB, 832x868px) Image search: [Google]
1491235703560.png
371KB, 832x868px
>>33523302
Fucking this. Had an argument with a friend of mine about how a gun will literally beat a sword at any range except for close. But he kept insisting that a sword will win and he talked about all of these techniques he knew (he is a huge weeb and an autistic fuck so he had karate lessons and became a green belt) that could "easily beat a gun"
>>
>>33523302
>>33532180
Oh I also forgot to put in he had kendo lessons too.
>>
>>33532180
>Weebs are delusional
What did you expect? These are the people who believe they can go to Japan speaking severely broken Japanese and everyone there will love him because his entire room is covered in anime posters and he wears a XXXL kimono.
>>
>>33528728
>I've seen good reviews for Armour Class, but they're a bit pricey and I'm not sure if they do international shipping. Their website kinda sucks.

Fuck that shit is expensive. But it would be a badass sword. Decisions, decisions.
>>
>>33532180
Buy an airsoft and training sword.

Proceed to shoot autist in the face
>>
>>33532180
An iado practitioner or however it's spelled could beat someone with a gun at arms length, assuming they both start with their weapon sheathed/holstered, seeing as it's basically a martial arts devoted to quickdraw.
>>
>>33532482
I never said it's not possible, especially if it's something like that. But on a one-on-one battle where it's a gunman versus a swordsman then the odds definitely are gonna be leaning to the gunman.
>>
>>33532180
Gun+bayonet would easily win against a sword at close range.
>>
>>33530194
jesus..
>>
I'm definitely going to have to check out some HEMA stuff. Is there usually a good mix of guys and girls?
>>
>>33533351
Nigga, HEMA is basically 99% dudes with maybe that one guy who brings his girlfriend.
>>
>>33532631

Well I dunno about "easily" but the rifle/bayonet does have the advantage in leverage. Obviously a nugget with bayo is markedly superior to an AKM with bayo.
Hutton covers sword vs. rifle/bayo in Cold Steel.
>>
>>33533371
bullshit, we have around 30% women in HEMA overall, which is a good quota for a contact sport.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.