[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Bowie Knives?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: just a big fucking knife.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
just a big fucking knife.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
Hi there /k/, and good morning from the east coast.

I find myself drawn to the design and history of bowie knives. There's something fun about using a big blade, and apparently something "right" about it, as it's been integrated (more or less) into a lot of modern combat knives/camp knives.

I've seen someone say that bowie knives are even a piece of Americana, which sounds super fucking pretentious.

Personally I enjoy them, but what are your thoughts on them? As fighting knives, as tools, or whatever?
>>
>>33518154

They're ok.

A cultural thing just like kukris etc... only more commercial because jim bowie's knife didnt look like that and "bowie knife" was basically a marketing catch for people to buy big british knives manufactured in Sheffield and imported to the US.

I dont particularly see any avantage to bowies, since daggers pierce better and spear points chop better.
>>
>>33518341
What did Bowie's knife actually look like?
>>
File: bowie knife.png (1KB, 557x138px) Image search: [Google]
bowie knife.png
1KB, 557x138px
>>33518350
>>
>>33518154
Just buy it and see for yourself, nigger.
>>
File: Rb-knife.jpg (26KB, 451x247px) Image search: [Google]
Rb-knife.jpg
26KB, 451x247px
>>33518154
>I've seen someone say that bowie knives are even a piece of Americana, which sounds super fucking pretentious.
I kind of agree with it desu.

Bowie fighting is certainly influenced by techniques from other cultures: Mexican knife fighting, saber styles, etc. The methodology as a whole though is uniquely American in my opinion.

They're great fighting knives and good bowies will stand up to some use.

>>33518341
>>33518350
>because jim bowie's knife didnt look like that
Nobody's really sure what Jim Bowie's knife looked like since nobody's been able to find it.

The common theory is that it was made by his brother, Rezin Bowie (or at least he took credit for it), from a cut down butcher's knife.

One of the earliest patterns is referred to as the "Searles" bowie and is thought to be closest to Jim's knife. Pic related

>basically a marketing catch for people to buy big british knives manufactured in Sheffield and imported to the US.
It's even more of a marketing term today for basically any knife with a clip point.
>>
I like the history, apparently the inventor was attacked by 4 armed men killed all of them with his knife.

>nothing personnelle, kid

Inherited one from Grandad, apparently some US solider sold it to him before heading back to the states.
>>
>>33518387
>It's even more of a marketing term today for basically any knife with a clip point

Yes but that's how the "bowie knife" meme started in the 19th century

Just like indian tomahawks were british and french utility axes sold to them by tradesmen
>>
>>33518363
Yeah his first iterations where the British butchers knife, later versions he got some ideas off the Spanish Navaja style blade with the clip point (but wider blade like the butchers knife) and guards from various daggers.

As a knife, used to have one ages ago and they're ok for very heavy field butchering of large animals, light machete work and that sort of stuff. The guard tends to make it a little impractical for finesse and fine work on whittling and the like
I don't habitually get into enough knife fights to give much of an opinion there :)
>>
>>33518154
21 FEET! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>33518407
>indian tomahawks were british and french utility axes sold to them by tradesmen

No way?
>>
>>33518690
He's right, have a look up of trade axes and trade blades.
Fairly common items sold to the natives in return for furs or other commodities
>>
File: 119f.jpg (34KB, 912x496px) Image search: [Google]
119f.jpg
34KB, 912x496px
BUCK 119
U
C
K

>>
File: Ontario SP-10 polishing.jpg (54KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ontario SP-10 polishing.jpg
54KB, 800x600px
>>33518154
I like bowies, they look cool. Don't have many. My only large on is a Ontario SP-10.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.