[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do prison guards traditionally carry shotguns as opposed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1910's prison.jpg (228KB, 1072x863px) Image search: [Google]
1910's prison.jpg
228KB, 1072x863px
Why do prison guards traditionally carry shotguns as opposed to high-capacity rifles/carbines/etc.?
>>
>>33517654
rubber slugs and beanbags maybe
>>
>>33517686
fpbp
>>
since when inmates wear body armor?
>>
>>33517686
Pretty sure in ye olden days they skipped that and bad boys got buckshot to the head.

Cheap, reliable, easy to train.
>>
>>33517695
Back then the alternative was aiming birdshot at the ground and ricocheting it into peoples shins
>>
>>33517686
>>33517755
Former MP that did some cage kicking these guys have it right but army side we had to bounce the buck and that just does not go well re less lethal. The current rubber/poly balls are ok but the wodden dowel slug is awesome. Bean bags ......... work when drugs, insanity, or zealous rage are not involved
>>
>>33517654
Because one-shot stops are important, suppressing fire is not.

Same reason shotguns are so often favored for home defense.
>>
>>33517926
>when drugs, insanity, or zealous rage are not involved
So pretty much every trait most convict/prisoners are known for?

I always thought it had to do with coach guns like how guards use to carry short shotties, and that hunting shotguns use to be more common/mass produced than rifles with cheaper and easier to make ammo.
>>
>>33517939
Honesty shotguns are mostly an admin weapon for the clerks. On the RARE occasions we ever took one out for riot issues it was to discourage rioting durkas because the bore looked fuckhuge (they were more scared of the m9 than the m4/16). Poly buck followed by wood dowel would drop a few and hopefully end the drama before we had dead durka storage problems
>>
>>33517966
That's weird I heard people were more intimidated in the East by pistols since they were used more often for execution. Kind of wondered why the bayonet is considered useless now when there are problems with crowd control.
>>
>>33517654
Because overpenetration. Same reason why the first sentry on navy ships is armed with a shotgun instead of an assault rifle. You don't want to put a hole in the boat parked next to yours when you clip a mofo.
Also rubber and more politically correct.

But it depends on the authorities involved. For example french prison guards have been equipped with mini-14 with full auto and bayonets for decades, and before that they had military surplus carbines (because fuck you convicts, I guess).
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.