[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SIG 550 thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

Sometimes i hear really good stuff like that it is accurate and very reliable but on the other hand i hear stuff like it is not chrome-lined and the gas-tube can rust easily.

Can /k/ redpill me on the SIG550?
>>
I used to have one, which I sold for an AR.
It's accurate and reliable, as much as an AR.
The gas system and especially the gas tube and valve get fouled really fast, are difficult to clean because of their shapes, and can indeed rust easily. It's also long, heavy, expensive, doesn't have much aftermarket parts (and they are expensive as fuck), so are the magazines, and spare parts pretty much impossible to find, and I'm living in France, so Switzerland is next door.

tl;dr : fine for the Swiss who get it pretty much for free after their military service, and who can actually find magazines and parts for it, not worth the money for anyone else.
>>
>>33495720
This.

It's a good rifle but it's going to be a nightmare if you aren't in Switzerland.
>>
File: mnjarYd.jpg (938KB, 2285x1398px) Image search: [Google]
mnjarYd.jpg
938KB, 2285x1398px
I have these three rifles.

It's extremely reliable and accurate. Out of the box it's basically better than any AR15 you can buy.

If you don't clean it, it will rust the gas tube. But jesus, how lazy are you not to clean it after shooting?

I still prefer the Stgw 57 though.
>>
>>33495783
>Out of the box it's basically better than any AR15 you can buy.
I'm sure it's an excellent rifle but this is conjecture.
>>
>>33495819
Theres no AR in the world that you can clean with a steel brush while the SIG550 is made to be cleaned with a hardened steel brush.
>>
File: image.jpg (92KB, 840x353px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 840x353px
I like mine :3
>>
>>33495847
I know what you mean. I buy things based on their suitability for steel brush cleaning. All my carpets are made from steel brush suitable materials, as is my furniture. Last week I pawned a pair of Purdey double rifles because they wouldn't stand up to my hardened steel brush cleaning regime.
>>
>>33495819
It's actually not.

A SIG 550 is a standard military rifle that was tested to hell and back. They did such tests that would have destroyed any AR15 that you put to the same tests.

The accuracy is phenomenal. Unless you are going to build a new AR15 with the most expensive items, then you could totally shoot with the same precision but without any optics.

Now for a standard run of the mill AR15? lol no. No way the AR15 will perform better than a stock SIG 550.
>>
>>33495997
>They did such tests that would have destroyed any AR15 that you put to the same tests
>no chrome-lining

That's where you can see that the swiss dont have any war-experience
>>
File: SAN Swissarms SG 551 SB - 09-P50.jpg (458KB, 2376x1584px) Image search: [Google]
SAN Swissarms SG 551 SB - 09-P50.jpg
458KB, 2376x1584px
SG551SB (or Sig551SWAT) owner here.

Pro:
+ My rifle has never had any malfunction of any kind over many years of (civilian) service.
+ Still shoots fairly consistent MOA with S&B 55gr M193 and a red dot. No perceived enlargement of groups over the years of ownership. Obviously shoots even better with matched ammo/reloads.
+ Stock sights are great.
+ The two stage trigger is awesome for a military issue weapon.
+ A retard could figure out how to shoot it and how to take it apart to clean.
+ Perceived recoil is very light, but has a pleasant mechanical kachunk.
+ Ambi controls overall.

Mixed bag:
* Forceful ejection means reliability, but also damages brass and makes it harder to retrieve.
* The mags are great & tough, but expensive.

Con (mostly nitpicks):
- I find the stock hinge & take down pins can get in the way of optimal left handed manipulation of the safety selector.
- Modularity is kinda limited. Of course, you can put a top picatinny rail and a quad rail foreend (I have both), but modularity means a lot more than that.
- Muzzle device is one piece with the barrel (for supposed improved barrel harmonics and other swiss mountain magic), but that limits you unless you chop it & thread it (or just buy a tactical variant which has barrel threads).

I like it, but I will never claim that it is better than a custom built AR15. It's not magical in that respect. You can probably tune an AR15 for insane precision better than a Sig 55X, but you have to remember this is meant as a general issue weapon. Not a DMR or specialized rifle.
I'd more readily trust my life to a stock Sig 551 SWAT than to a stock M4A1.
>>
File: Carb3.jpg (3MB, 2048x1648px) Image search: [Google]
Carb3.jpg
3MB, 2048x1648px
>>33495700
>Can /k/ redpill me on the SIG550?

I don't like the Sig 550 for standing shooting because it gets tiring as fuck due to the front weight of the full sized rifle. It's great for prone shooting, but it's a front heavy bitch if you want to do standing shooting.

>not chrome-lined

Many parts are gas nitrided, hardened and tempered. Some other parts have been phosphated.
The French Commando Hubert (combat divers) take their Sig 551 diving in the sea, so you can bet your ass it's plenty resistant to barrel corrosion.

>the gas-tube can rust easily.

So I've been told and have seen in some pictures.
I guess you can equate it to the whole "gotta keep the AR15 lubed up" thing. For Sigs it's likely "gotta clean your gas tube if it's been wet or if you have shot corrosive ammo through it".

Under normal conditions I've never noticed it myself. Including during my own "5000 round no cleaning" test I ran over a few months to see if it'd keep running without switching gas setting and without showing corrosion or wear. It ran flawlessly and did not develop rust when shooting commercial S&B M193.

>>33495776
>It's a good rifle but it's going to be a nightmare if you aren't in Switzerland.

Easily available across Europe & Canada. I don't see your point.

>>33495783
>If you don't clean it, it will rust the gas tube. But jesus, how lazy are you not to clean it after shooting?

I used to be like you. Cleaning after every range session. But it's really not necessary if you run non-corrosive ammo and don't go roll in the mud.
>>
File: Carb1.jpg (2MB, 2048x1351px) Image search: [Google]
Carb1.jpg
2MB, 2048x1351px
>>33495847
>Theres no AR in the world that you can clean with a steel brush while the SIG550 is made to be cleaned with a hardened steel brush.

There's also no AR15 in the world that you can motorcycle kick back into function when it's been frozen shut, but that alone doesn't make it so you can claim the Sig550 is better in every respect.

>>33495997
>Now for a standard run of the mill AR15? lol no. No way the AR15 will perform better than a stock SIG 550.

What a surprise considering a military M16A4 costs the military maybe a fourth of what the swiss military pays for the SG550?

>>33496014
>That's where you can see that the swiss dont have any war-experience

Look up the benefits of nitriding compared to chrome lining before you make a fool of yourself.
Sure, for endless machinegunning the chroming will come out better, but for normal carbine use? Nitriding has a lot of advantages.
>>
>>33495908
lol, under-rated comment. Well played, sir!
>>
File: IMG_20170326_154247.jpg (331KB, 3013x972px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170326_154247.jpg
331KB, 3013x972px
>>33495783
your 57 isn't tacticool enough.
>>
File: 9HX3wLB.jpg (2MB, 4730x2660px) Image search: [Google]
9HX3wLB.jpg
2MB, 4730x2660px
I love mine.

Accurate as fuck.
Soft recoil.

A E S T H E T I C C as fuark.

I do like an AR though but they have no style.
>>
>>33495700
It was a passable rifle for nations not willing to go for the AR-15 due to political reasons. It was easily the best of the Kalashnikov family in its time but it's been dethroned by picrelated now.

They're actually quite popular with LEO groups in the US still with many purchases being made in the late 90s and immediate post 9/11 timeframe. A lot of the guns that got out were ex Louisiana wildlife guns and a couple agencies still have them.

Definitely more popular and maintainable (in terms of parts) than say, an AUG within the CONUS.

We have the Galil ACE now though so the 550 is kind of moot in the high end AK crowd in the modern perspective.

>inb4 Finniggers
It's shit desu senpai. It took IMI 50 years to unfuck it.
>>
File: ACE.jpg (314KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ACE.jpg
314KB, 1024x768px
>>33497179
>forgetting the picture
>>
>>33497179
>It took IMI 50 years to unfuck it.

And it literally fell apart at the last SHOT SHOW during range day.

So much for unfucked...
>>
>>33498451
Sounds like bullshit as I didn't hear about it. It's a non issue anyway as they're sweeping up contracts all over South America and SE Asia with it to the point of licensing out mass production to multiple companies.

If one failure means a gun is fucked just look at the 552's spring fuckup that necessitated an entire redesign of the piston assembly after it nearly got people killed.

Swiss arms is dead now anyway. Literally 12 guys in a shed selling "Swiss made" guns by assembling parts made by Sauer in Germany. Fuck em desu.
>>
>>33498933
>Swiss arms is dead now anyway. Literally 12 guys in a shed selling "Swiss made" guns by assembling parts made by Sauer in Germany. Fuck em desu.

You know you are Swiss when you complain about the inferior German manufacturing quality of your firearms. Pretty much everybody else would get a hardon.
>>
>>33498933

Swiss Arms isnt dead. They completed their milliom unit contract and still produce parts, new guns and do maintenance.

All the infrastructure is still there.

But yeah last I heard its like 13 employees.
>>
>>33499115
No, they don't produce anything out side of small accessory rails actually. All major components are sourced from Sauer and most of their income comes from refurbing/rebarelling existing guns.

Use your fucking head and look at their facility. Anyone with common sense can see they don't have stamping equipment in their shed by checking it out on Google Earth.

>T..they've got old SIG equipment
no they don't. It was worn out at the end of the contract, at which time Sauer felt it was better to utilize their German facilities and equipment rather than invest in a gun that was essentially dead.

>B...but it says swiss made right n the gun
swiss labor laws + overpaid employees mean they meet the labor requirement, just like gook movement "swiss" watches.

>>33499049
Germans were the chinks of Europe until the Kaiser heavily pushed the "german quality" marketing. It's literally a meme only surpassed by swiss trash. Americans are objectively superior in every way. We've got guys cncing better gun parts in between their real job in the petroleum industry as a hobby.

really no country has the wealth to put out what Americans do, that's the cold hard facts.
>>
>>33495700
I have never shot or held one in my life but i loved the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. version of it.
>>
>>33499437
They are not dead.
They just rleased a new rifle the SIG751 Sapr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfDQEQA2y_o

>>33495700
The SIG550 is probably the best standard-issue rifle in the world.
But if you build your own rifle based on an AR-15 platform, you can build yourself a better one (trigger, barrel, etc.)
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.