[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GBU-44/B Viper Strike may have squished al-Qaida leader

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 12

File: almasri car.jpg (184KB, 1440x830px) Image search: [Google]
almasri car.jpg
184KB, 1440x830px
>The Pentagon has acknowledged that it carried out a drone strike near Idlib in Syria which killed Al-Masri, who was described as “a core al-Qaida leader” on February 4.

>The MQ-9 Reaper drone currently carries two types of weapon: AGM-114 Hellfire missiles and 500-pound guided bombs. The Hellfire is by far the smaller of the two, but its twenty-pound high-explosive warhead was originally designed to take out heavy tanks.

>By contrast, pictures show that the damage to al-Masri’s car, a small Kia, was minimal. There is a large hole in the roof, the windscreen is damaged but intact, and the side windows are still in place.

>The GBU-44/B Viper Strike, currently supplied to the U.S. military by MBDA, is a forty-four pound gliding munition. (It has a peculiar history, having been developed from a Cold War anti-tank weapon called the BAT or “Brilliant Anti-Tank munition.”) Viper Strike has a ‘glide ratio’ of 1:10, meaning that from an altitude of 5,000 feet or one mile it can hit a target ten miles away. Being unpowered means it is completely silent, and there is no exhaust flare: it is an ideal stealth weapon as it does not draw any attention to the launching platform.

>The standard warhead is a couple of pounds of explosive, but John Miller, then project manager, said Viper Strike could be used as a kinetic weapon: “At one of our [planning] meetings, we were asked a question by the special ops guys, ‘What if I want to kill a vehicle but not the people in it? Can you do that?’ And the answer is yes, since we have a selective warhead, and we can set it not to detonate.

>The same option could be used to take out someone inside while leaving the vehicle intact. This is a message to the Jihadis. Not only can they be hit anywhere suddenly without warning, but now it can be done with sniper-like precision so that even on a busy street there is little risk of collateral damage. Human shields offer little protection.
>>
haven't various militaries been using concrete "bombs" for a long time?
>>
>>33492573
>What if I want to kill a vehicle but not the people in it? Can you do that?’ And the answer is yes
I don't see how you can promise that unless you can hit within a couple of inches of the point of aim every time.
>>
>>33492622

For as long as we've been dropping bombs.
>>
File: ORD_GBU-44_Viper_Strike_Open_lg.jpg (78KB, 1024x769px) Image search: [Google]
ORD_GBU-44_Viper_Strike_Open_lg.jpg
78KB, 1024x769px
>>33492638
http://www.scout.com/military/warrior/story/1765657-drone-fired-viper-strike-kill-al-qaeda-2
>>
>>33492639
>>33492622
IIRC they were used to great effect in Libya by the french
>>
>>33492981
That doesn't refute my point at all. It didn't manage to not kill the occupants and mentions nothing about how it's possible for this munition to be that accurate.
>>
>>33493159
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyjuhz74hsg
>>
>>33493159
I'm not him, nor do I have evidence for this, but I believe most of these smart munitions are fairly easily capable of hitting a square foot target.
>>
>>33493159
Dude, are you new here?
>>
>>33493288
I think he is.
>>
>>33493159
it wasn't supposed to "not kill" the occupants you jackass.

>can be used to take someone out leaving vehicle intact

JDAM is accurate within a few meters, and it is an unaerodybamic dumb bomb with adjustable fins/aeilerons

The glide bomb mentioned in OP is purposely designed for flight. As such, it isn't hard to figure out how it could be accurate within 1 meter or less, perhaps the top of a car or something, I don't know.
>>
>>33493691
>it wasn't supposed to "not kill" the occupants you jackass.
>What if I want to kill a vehicle but not the people in it? Can you do that?’ And the answer is yes

Great reading comprehension, fuckhead.
>>
>>33493724
>>The same option could be used to take out someone inside while leaving the vehicle intact. This is a message to the Jihadis.

How about you finish reading the next paragraph and then kill yourself
>>
>>33493733
You are such a fucking moron.
>>
>>33492573
I hope to hell that one day we'll be able to drop a toilet on somebody.

Try to picture it; ISIS wants to say Muhammad is a martyr, but then they'd have to include the fact that he was hit with a whole toilet and turned into salsa. How do you martyr that? Short answer, you don't. Maybe let the air crew have bacon for breakfast before going up, then use the toilet munitions. One bacon grease and MRE brick shit later, and some durka gets splattered in front of his Jihadi friends.
>>
>>33493159
>It didn't manage to not kill the occupants

Well, they were trying to kill the occupants. Clearly.

>mentions nothing about how it's possible for this munition to be that accurate.

What would satisfy you?
>>
>>33493795
I am a moron because you didn't read the entirety of the post.

Ok
>>
>>33493888
>Abdul. Where is Mohammed?
>Mohammed is a martyr
>God is Great! How glorious did he die?
>uh...he died well.
>Truly wonderful and I...whats that Hajar? A toilet?
>whats a toliet?
>>
>>33492573
Kinda like Rods from God
>>
File: gbu-27.jpg (170KB, 1200x950px) Image search: [Google]
gbu-27.jpg
170KB, 1200x950px
>>33492638
It's ok you forgot about laser guidance for a second, we've only been flying bombs through truck windows since the 1983 (That's only 34 years) so I guess we'll just forget about it.
>>
File: Toilet bomb 2.jpg (78KB, 512x351px) Image search: [Google]
Toilet bomb 2.jpg
78KB, 512x351px
>>33493888
>>
File: va25specbomb-0001b.jpg (138KB, 1208x802px) Image search: [Google]
va25specbomb-0001b.jpg
138KB, 1208x802px
>>33493888
Also, check'd
>>
Wouldn't it make more sense to use a Hellfire with an inert warhead?
>>
>>33494082
I think the rocket motor of the hellfire may cause more damage on impact than a totally inert glide bomb

Also not silent/signatureless
>>
>>33492981
>Dem wings
No wonder it can do 10:1.
>>
>>33494082
>Hellfire with an inert warhead?

Can you even do this?

The appeal of the glide bomb thing seems to be its stealthiness and the switching off the warhead thing. For a hellfire I imagine you need to physically replace the warhead to get different effects.
>>
>>33494131
>ATM-114Q Hellfire II
>Practice version of AGM-114N with inert warhead.

>>33494093
Hellfire motor works like 3 seconds total. During impact it would be empty.
>>
File: dresden.jpg (49KB, 500x311px) Image search: [Google]
dresden.jpg
49KB, 500x311px
science has gone TOO FAR!!!!
>>
Couldn't it have just been a dud-hellfire? I'm failing to see the point of the stealth aspect of this kinect kill weapon, especially considering that the damage radius for the hellfires aretiny.
>>
>>33495061
A hellfire would have left a smoking crater and a few houses suffering from crumbling walls and some ears hurting.

This was a missile that fell from the sky, flattened a terror leader inside a moving car and everyone was scratching their heads on what just happened.

And I bet you the car can still drive just not well.
>>
>>33492573
If the other occupants of that car weren't killed, they certainly aren't fine and dandy...

Still pretty damn impressive though.
>>
>>33495132
It's a Kia, it never drove well.
>>
>>33492573
The level of accuracy and intelligence gathering that the US has developed is absolutely staggering and terrifying.
>>
>>33495169
kek
>>
>>33493795
Jesus, kid
>>
>>33493159

The spec-ops guys wanted to be able to use it as a car-stopper for taking occupants alive but the designers also mentioned you could use it to just snipe the people in the car and kill them dead without blowing up half a city block in the process. So it can kill people and not car, or car and not people. And I presume if you just want to kill both of them you could aim it to punch through the people on the way to engine block.

Which is pretty effing metal if you ask me.
>>
>>33494026
this is too beautiful for words.

WOW
>>
>>33492981
How do those wings collapse?
>>
>>33493888
>>33494052
>>33494071
>I hope to hell that one day we'll be able to drop a toilet on somebody.

India also has muslim issues in addition to lack of toilets. 2 flies with one strike.
>>
>>33493724
are you a fucking retard?
>>
>>33494629
Seems like a waste of a hellfire. Viper strike is cheap.
>>
>>33492573
Reminder that the predator c has been flying around Syria.
>>
File: 3095g.jpg (55KB, 600x452px) Image search: [Google]
3095g.jpg
55KB, 600x452px
>>33495186

;^)
>>
File: Drone attack - banzaaaai.gif (2MB, 422x238px) Image search: [Google]
Drone attack - banzaaaai.gif
2MB, 422x238px
>>33494052
>>33494071
Precision-guided porcelain kinetic munitions
JDAM WCU - 41

>Somewhere in Middle East
>Toyota Hilux traveling on dirt road in middle of nowhere
>*whizzzzzz*
>KRACH!
>Porcelain bowl breaks through the windshield of the car with tremendous speed
>Meatloaf and shards of porcelain everywhere
>>
>>33495132
>A hellfire would have left a smoking crater and a few houses suffering from crumbling walls and some ears hurting.

...unless it was a dud which is what he just said
>>
>>33495660
Nah, you misunderstood him.

The hellfire is twice as big, over twice as heavy, going three times as fast.

Even if it was a dud, the car would be obliterated.
>>
>>33495231
Hmmmm
>Oh look, I found an animation, this should help explain things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yunQGKw0W0

Well anyways, if I had to guess, I think they fold back into a square pattern (which looks round externally because wing camber) around the body of the missile (which, notice, is thinner behind the wings than in front). They unfold under parachute so having them unfold flat into the wind /then/ turn 90 degrees to face their leading-edges forward wouldn't be a big deal drag-and-loads wise, like it would if the bomb were under complete freefall.
>>
They should make a version of this that can be launched out of a mortar.
>>
File: flat-coyote.png (307KB, 867x555px) Image search: [Google]
flat-coyote.png
307KB, 867x555px
>>33492573
Drones equipped with anvils when?
>>
>>33496052
Kek
>>
File: killer-croc.jpg (29KB, 584x392px) Image search: [Google]
killer-croc.jpg
29KB, 584x392px
>So I threw a rock at him

Who knew it was a legitimate tactic?
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.