[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cross Dominance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 10

File: 1479397458191.png (678KB, 850x464px) Image search: [Google]
1479397458191.png
678KB, 850x464px
I am left-handed and right eye dominant.

Should I be shooting pistols with my right or left hand? I passed my ccw class shooting with my right hand, but I am naturally more comfortable holding my pistol with my left hand.

I shoot long guns right handed btw and it is a non issue
>>
File: arf.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
arf.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
shameless self bump.
>>
>>33482806
I'm no expert by any means, but I would suggest keeping your left hand as your draw/shooting hand and learning to PARTIALLY close your right eye when you perform your draw stroke. This will help your left eye take the lead, if you will, so that your natural point of aim will line up with your line of sight.

In my OPINION, your grip, draw stroke, and natural point of aim will always trump half a second's worth of visual attenuation to your sights. In fact, some instructors suggest shooting drills where you remove or cover your sights to practice what is called "kinesthetic shooting."

Finally if you think about it, a good chunk of self defense shooting training involves compression shooting, where you basically draw, index the bottom of the grip with the side of your body, outboard the gun, and "shoot from retention," which involves 100% your dominant hand and 0% your sights.

Check out the Sage Dynamics youtube channel, the guy is actually a lefty and gives out some really solid lessons on defensive shooting.
>>
File: 69SWvZz.jpg (797KB, 2362x1328px) Image search: [Google]
69SWvZz.jpg
797KB, 2362x1328px
>>33483028
okay wow thanks /k/ommando! so basically don't even rely on my dominant eye like i would for a rifle and just use what is a natural draw for me?

when I practice draws with my left hand it always feels better obviously and the only difference is a couple degrees of rotation in my wrist to line the sights with my right eye.

I only worry about it because ive heard that my eye/wrist/arm should always be perfectly aligned, and wasnt sure if it was a big issue.
>>
>>33482806
I'm the exact opposite of you and shoot left handed mostly. Just practice with both hands it's fun.
>>
File: IMG_2307.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2307.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>33483347
I like that advice too. Im starting to think that im overthinking it. Thanks man, enjoy my new 9mm pistol build
>>
bring the gun up to your left eye u nigger. im cross dominant and i shoot rifles just fine but pistols i bring the gun up to my left eye.

i had some fucked up eye surgery when i was a kid so my vision is all whacky, like the bindon aiming concept doesnt work with my eyes and i almost go cross eyed when i shoot pistols but thats that.
>>
I'm cross dominant and right handed.

I force my left eye shut with a long gun and roll my head over with a hand gun.

I shoot better left handed, but with some rifles it's impractical.
>>
File: IMG_1359.jpg (367KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1359.jpg
367KB, 1224x1632px
>>33483415
ill have to do like the first guy said and wink my right eye on the draw in order to focus with my left eye. I just tried it and that's the only way i can get my left eye to (barely) focus. Ill need some practice. thanks nigger
>>
>>33483186
Do you mean that the eye wrist and arm are all in a straight line with each other? If that's the case then no I'd disagree with that. But, if you mean that the eye wrist and arm need to be in a position which results in the gun pointing in the right direction, then yeah I would say that's spot on.

I was taught that the most important part of drawing a handgun is that 1.) Your grip is strong, correctly positioned, and consistent, and that 2.) Your draw to presentation movement ends up with the gun pointing where you want to shoot. Closing your dominant eye to kind of compensate for your cross dominance is just a technique for achieving this.

But, everything can be trained around. You can DEFINITELY train your left handed draw to line up with your right eye. It doesn't really matter as long as your end result is a good shooting grip and a natural point of aim that is CLOSE to your sight picture lining up correctly. Totally up to you!

I'd say make sure that the couple of degrees of difference in your wrist isn't accompanies by actually moving your hand to the right. Aside from that, maybe try both ways and see which one suits you the best.

Funny fact, the Sage Dynamics guy shoots right handed with a rifle as well, as he tends to teach using the support hand (whichever hand is on the handgaurd/front of the gun) to drive and move the rifle, while the dominant hand just pulls the trigger and pivots. I think he said on one video that this actually offers lefties an advantage on long guns.
>>
File: 1480278836544.gif (3MB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
1480278836544.gif
3MB, 200x300px
>>33483441
I got surprisingly comfortable shooting long guns with my non-dominant hand. i feel like i can control it well with my strong hand forward. its pistols that have been a little fucky with me. ill just get comfortable with both and most likely carry dominant-handed
>>
>>33483387
Mmmm 9mm AR om nom
>>
>>33483514
I should specify, I would say make that couple of degree turn with your wrist a part of the draw stroke, as opposed to doing it after your gun is up and in your "visual horizon." If you can train around that then using your right eye would probably be a viable option
>>
File: hp-bg-2.jpg (998KB, 1507x1155px) Image search: [Google]
hp-bg-2.jpg
998KB, 1507x1155px
>>33483514
i meant for example that (being right-eyed) i should shoot right handed to keep everythnig in the straightest line possible.

ill practice like you said both ways, and see which comes out on top.

the only concern about this for me is carrying concealed/defensive shooting with a pistol. (i need to buy a holster)

thank you for the input, it is a big help honestly.
>>
>>33483621
Ooo I see. Glad it helps and good shooting
>>
File: IMG_2272.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2272.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>33483543
here's an extra treat from the build process.

there's not a lot of quad rails that are under 5"ish
>>
File: 1480491919529.jpg (38KB, 800x792px) Image search: [Google]
1480491919529.jpg
38KB, 800x792px
>>33483028
>>33483347
>>33483415
>>33483441
>>33483514
>>33483579
>>33483639
Cheers /k/ommrades. Good to see this board still has qualities that I remember. stay magical.
>>
>>33483710
>>33483781

o7
>>
File: IMG_2347.jpg (510KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2347.jpg
510KB, 1224x1632px
>>33483793
o8, good to see you.

heres the nugget i bought in 08, my first firearm ever, mostly thanks to you guys
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.