[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Barrel Shim

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

File: 10222.jpg (245KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
10222.jpg
245KB, 720x1280px
I recently purchased a Ruger 10/22 TD and added the Magpul X22 TD stock. The store I bought it at installed it for me.

Looking in the box, I noticed there is a little piece called a "barrel shim". What does this do? Is it for free floating the barrel? I cant find much about it on the googles
>>
>>33481536
>a "barrel shim"

It's to properly fit the barrel to the stock.

Save the original stock--if it was wood--, you'll want to put it back on later.
>>
>>33481573
>you'll want to put it back on later.

Did exactly this. Had a paratrooper style stock and switched it back to wood
>>
Can you post a picture of the shim?

I'm imagining you're talking about the plastic underbarrel insert for that Magpul stock but that doesn't sound like what you're describing.
>>
File: shim.jpg (74KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
shim.jpg
74KB, 480x640px
>>33481674
There is a small on for a regular barrel and a big one for a bull barrel
>>
>>33481738
Huh. I can't imagine what that's for, or why there are two spares. I imagine one should be installed?

Bumping for interest.
>>
>>33482001
no, based on the instructions, its for "tuning barrel harmonics"...whatever that means.

But you dont have to have one. What I am thinking is that its to put a slight pressure on the barrel to account for bullet drop.
>>
File: bh_k98300_c_stocks_anglel.jpg (30KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
bh_k98300_c_stocks_anglel.jpg
30KB, 700x700px
>>33481536
The 10/22 was never really designed to free-float. Yes, I know it's done all the time (charger pic related) but with those there's a modification to the back of the receiver and the stock so that it is supported there as well as the stock screw underneath.

The original 10/22 used the front barrel band to help stop barrel 'whip', which is what they're referring to as "barrel harmonics", which is an accurate enough description I suppose.

Not sure if the TD model needs the shim or not, but you might see if there's a way to install it on the new stock, and try it for accuracy. If it's accurate enough without it, meh, skip it. If you notice a loss in accuracy, try putting it in.
>>
File: 1022.jpg (206KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1022.jpg
206KB, 720x1280px
>>33482369
yeah I read something about 'barrel droop'. I would imagine most of this is for shooting at longer distances?

This gun is zero'd at 50yrds which is what I want it for...essentially a short range plinker. I having a feeling I dont need the Shim but I just wanted others opinions if it is worth installing.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>33482135
>no, based on the instructions, its for "tuning barrel harmonics"...whatever that means.

A barrel vibrates when a round goes over causing a variety of harmonic vibrations.

To dampen these you can add weight at the end of a barrel or apply light pressure on major vibrational nodes,

You'll need to find the sweet spot for it. Piuc related also work. Barrel tuuners attack to the end of the barrel and allow the weigh and angle to be adjusted.

I prefer a correctly weighted silencer and a rubber vibration damper. This is how you get a light barrel to shoot like a heavy one.
>>
File: hoen40008.jpg (83KB, 1280x671px) Image search: [Google]
hoen40008.jpg
83KB, 1280x671px
>>33483544

Barrel tuner
>>
File: 1022.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1022.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I just bought a Magpul Hunter 10/22 stock about an hour ago and put it on in about 5 minutes. It was on sale cause it was FDE. I didn't have those in mine but you can remove a plastic kind of saddle for a bull barrel. I'm no help but holy crap is it a good stock. I slipped for some reason and my old one cracked.
>>
From Magpul
Adjustable barrel tensioning shim in forend for setting barrel preload (barrel may also be free-floated)
>>
>>33484610
but i dont think there is any way to free float a 10/22 take down
>>
On the topic of 10/22s,

Is there anywhere online that sells wooden Takedown furniture?

I'd hate to have to buy a regular wood stock and spend even more money to get it shipped out for custom fitting.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.