[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canada's Arctic patrol ship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 21

File: IMG_7349.jpg (279KB, 1785x852px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7349.jpg
279KB, 1785x852px
>Be Canada
>Design new arctic patrol ship
>Only armament is a fucking 25mm gun

HOW CAN A COUNTRY BE THIS PATHETIC
>>
>>33481259
Because if you kill your enemies, they win.
Or something.
>>
File: IMG_7295.gif (1MB, 396x216px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7295.gif
1MB, 396x216px
>>33481259
>If you protect your country, your enemies win
>>
>Only other form of weaponry is anything attached to the helicopter
>The turret can't even see behind the boat, meaning flanking completely disarms the boat

Canada what the fuck were you thinking?
>>
File: 1490666677673.jpg (125KB, 685x570px) Image search: [Google]
1490666677673.jpg
125KB, 685x570px
>>33481357
maybe they were thinking that the age of broadside swapping between capital ships ended one hundred and fifty fucking years ago, and a ship deployed to their arctic waters will spend zero (0) percent of its lifespan firing weapons at canada's zero (0) enemies and one hundred (100) percent of its lifespan performing coast guard duties like SAR and police action?

I mean fuck canada, day of the rake when, but not because of this
>>
>>33481259
I mean from the looks of it this is a domestic ship meant more for utility duty than combat but still, one mere 25mm is silly.
>>
>>33481259

>ship meant to enforce fishing limits
>needing anything bigger than a .50

Pretty sure they have exceeded what the role calls for.
>>
>>33481259
>Using the armament as the main point of contention
You're distracting from the primary issue here. The ship is basically a slush-breaker that can't operate during the winter. The armament is entirely a non-issue when you realize that it's main purpose is to prevent Chinese cargo vessels from cutting through the arctic.
>>
>>33481259
>Only armament is a fucking 25mm gun

its almost like that's a patrol ship
>>
>>33481259
>be ice dindu
>drunk off my ass fishing in a protected area
>notice ship put put up to me as the Steamboat Willie theme is heard faintly in the background
>they get on the intercom and ask me to stop
>I tell them to fuck off
>they surrender and I board the ship
>Imthecaptainnow.meme
>patrol the coast taking pot shots at beach goers with the cannon
>>
>>33482402
>0 enemies
>implying anyone should trust the russians
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>33482771
Cannon is the wrong weapon for the situation. If there were Eskimo pirates maybe, but there is no intermediate threat. Should be an NSM launchbox like other cold places.
>>
>>33482868
How well do electronics operate in arctic cold anyways?
I know silicon based equipment tends to fare better when in cold, but what about things like batteries and such?
>>
>meets a Russian ice breaker
>said ice breaker has 1 76mm gun, 8 anti ship missiles, 1 helicopter, 2 underwater drones capable of carrying 1 324mm torpedoes each and 2 small boats for boarding.
>>
>>33482897
batteries suffer up to 50% capacity loss in -20c
>>
>>33482771
This though. It's for chasing off trawlers and S&R operations. It's not meant to shoot at anything that can shoot back you autistic fucks.
>>
>>33481259
Could it be modified to fit missiles ?
>>
>>33481259
It's not meant to take on combat roles. They're looking more at a policing and patrol ship that can increase the presence of the Canadian government.

The reality is that with regards to northern military operations, Canada relies more on its air assets (as well as the American ones since we're part of NORAD) when it comes to offensive weapon systems.

The ship is made with the idea of being able to act more as a mobile police station that can roam the arctic since a lot of communities up north hardly ever see government officials or a presence of LEO and their equivalents (this case the CRN).

But you guys forget one thing. The arctic is still one of the few regions where the tension between the West and Russia hasn't reached. The Arctic Council plays a big role in creating a multilateral community where even the northern native communities have representation. Hell, Russia is a big contributor when it comes to cooperation in the region, so much so that Russia (then USSR) and the US during the cold war agreed to give each other designated areas of control over the seabed despite either side could have backed off and still been within the legal framework.

TLDR: Arctic doesn't need to be militarized (YET) and the Canadian government knows it, so they're focusing on policing ships for when traffic in the North West Passage starts to increase due to global warming. (Thank you Canadian Arctic Sovereignty Class).

>>33484289
probably, but if you're arming those then you're in a bad spot already. Though the CH-148 are more likely to be armed with anti ship weaponry than the Arctic Patrol Ships
>>
>>33482911
>Meets Russian ice breaker
>Which is stationary, half crewed and out of fuel plus concrete fake radar (real one sold on black market).
>>
>>33484399
>when traffic in the North West Passage starts to increase due to global warming

fuck off libtard
>>
File: buddy.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
buddy.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>33484588
So the ice isn't melting? And countries aren't looking at the Arctic as an untapped region for shipping lanes?
>>
>>33484588
Your fucking dumb. When everyone from Canada to Russia who borders the arctic has come to the same conclusions, maybe you should reconsider your position
>>
File: canisis.jpg (239KB, 600x804px) Image search: [Google]
canisis.jpg
239KB, 600x804px
>>33481259
How many are they getting? Any news on their frigate replacements?
>>
>>33484588
Associating proven facts backed by scientific evidence with liberalism is fucking retarded

In bred hicks like you are the reason I am ashamed to call myself a Republican
>>
File: IMG_7353.jpg (80KB, 777x437px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7353.jpg
80KB, 777x437px
>>33484399
>when traffic in the North West Passage starts to increase due to global warming

Shit

It all makes sense now
>>
>>33482771
Fishing trawler can get nasty and I know at least 1 best korean trawler which had an anti aircraft gun installed for some reason. That's why some coast guard armed their ship with at least 30mm gun

Also, this is a coast guard job. Canuckistan needs to restructure their coast guard to include law enforcement. Let the navy do navy stuff, not playing maritime police
>>
>>33481259
"Domestic constabulary role" hurr durr it's not designed as a fucking warship you autistic fuck. It'll be for fuckin... I don't know, firing shots across the bow of jap whalers or some shit.
>>
>>33485130
This

Why is Canada building a whole class of ships to do a job the coast guard should be doing
>>
>>33485026
Only 5, with an option for 6
>>
>>33482844
ice dindu
lost
>>
File: we dont got this.jpg (138KB, 404x428px) Image search: [Google]
we dont got this.jpg
138KB, 404x428px
>>33481357
our military not only doesn't have any money, but the politicians are absolutely retarded when it comes to handling money (ex. a couple months ago the air force literally had no budget because other gov't sectors spent all their money).
>source: dad's a former RCAF colonel
>>
>>33485227
don't forget our military equipment acquisition process is beyond slow. Well that's what happens when you bureaucratize something to death.

I wish we copied Australia's defense system. They not only issue White Papers as supposed to generalized defense strategies, they also have streamlined and de-politicized major military purchases without any public backlash.
>>
>>33481259

I can see two things in this thread.

>not enough FIREPOWER for FREEDOM

and

>seems practical for the role it will be performing

Spot the American anyone?

This is pretty standard modern armament for patrol type boats in countries that aren't expecting a war anytime soon. I do agree it's stupid that the gun can be made redundant by flanking, but the bow thruster would only make that an effective tactic for small, fast boats. And it's not going to be boarded by Eskimo poachers is it?
>>
>>33484632
>Your fucking dumb
How many layers of irony are you on right now
>>
>>33482897
Missiles generally use thermal batteries anyways, that essentially function by setting themselves on fire to melt the salt electrolyte within and activate themselves.

But yeah, most batteries don't work in the cold.

>Captcha: VULCAN BABY
>>
File: 22460 zhemchug.jpg (351KB, 2000x1312px) Image search: [Google]
22460 zhemchug.jpg
351KB, 2000x1312px
>>33482402
>>33482771
Pretty much this.
>>33482860
It's not like Russian patrol ships are any different.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purga-class_icebreaker
>>
>>33484588

Here let me explain the Northwest passage & climate change for you:

>Sea ice coverage is shrinking year on year

Proven beyond reasonable doubt

>This is because average global temperatures are higher than they were in the recent past

Proven beyond reasonable doubt

> The primary cause for this temperature rise is anthropogenic. For example emission of greenhouse gasses and deforestation.

Proven beyond reasonable doubt.

>The correct course of action is to unilaterally destroy our own industry through heavy regulation while other countries are unregulated or pay lip service to regulation but do not enforce it in practice, while accepting millions of migrants because "the West bears responsibility for environmental issues in their country of origin" without mentioning the fact that they are continuing to breed like rabbits despite limited resources.

"Liberal" politics
>>
>>33486257
>Man-caused global warming
Piss off.
>>
>>33484515
>Meet Canadian Patrol Ship
>Canadians give up because if they fight, the enemy wins.
>>
>>33481259

Just about any armed pirate ship from the last 400 years could sink that thing.
>>
Russia just laid down a Project 23550 ice-class patrol ship in April last year.
>>
File: 23550_160504_01.jpg (200KB, 550x390px) Image search: [Google]
23550_160504_01.jpg
200KB, 550x390px
>>33486138
>It's not like Russian patrol ships are any different.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purga-class_icebreaker
They are.
>>
File: BAM.jpg (132KB, 1024x400px) Image search: [Google]
BAM.jpg
132KB, 1024x400px
Post cute patrol ships
>>
>>33486361

Holy shit, that aesthetic.
>>
>>33482771
There have been a few times when patrol/Coast Guard vessels have needed to sink ghost ships, 25mm is a good choice for that.
>>
>>33481259
where is the compartment that holds all the muslim semen?
>>
>>33482860
>believing CNN
>>
>>33486675
Mess hall
>>
>>33482860
What are you gonna do, rust on me?
>>
>>33486678
Not him, but I believe what I see.

Russia is a pretty big legitimate threat. Not even from the voting meme, that's mostly BS.

No, they have a vested interest in fucking the us, and has achieved alot on the cultural side.

If you think Russia is buddy buddy or at a non threat, you are naive as fuck.
>>
File: pakdeau.jpg (203KB, 750x993px) Image search: [Google]
pakdeau.jpg
203KB, 750x993px
>>33485153
Assuming these are replacements, how many are they replacing?
>>
>>33486699
>they have a vested interest in fucking the us, and has achieved alot on the cultural side.

Listen here you John McCain worshiping double nigger, the Soviets did everything in the power to undermine us culturally as a nation in their bid to defeat us. This is not the MO of the current Russian state and has not been since 1991.

Russia is a big fucking rusty bathtub with decades of catching up to do. They don't have the money and resources to just meme us up anymore at will, they're still trying to organize the importation of real cheese.
>>
Thanks to Canada's navy being in a pathetic state, Russia will take over the Arctic without firing a single shot. USA has to save the day ONCE AGAIN.
>>
File: sea king.jpg (67KB, 318x240px) Image search: [Google]
sea king.jpg
67KB, 318x240px
>>33481357
we just germanwings our helos into enemy ships if needed
>>
>>33486711
Military (conventional) they are a joke. But I'm not talking militarily. Espionage and cultural undermining they are a very, very big threat, still doing and funding the same fucking groups from the Soviet days, along with fucking with our oversea allies and other minor issues.

Also, John McCain is a Soviet fucking plant, brainwashed in Hanoi. Fuck that guy. Everyone of his decrees from his chairmanship on the Senate Armed services committee has NOT been in America's best interest. Fuck him. (I joke about the plant part, it's very likely he is just a senile old fuck stuck in the 70s.)
>>
File: 41234234.jpg (68KB, 680x622px) Image search: [Google]
41234234.jpg
68KB, 680x622px
>>33486257
>>
>>33486257
>Sea ice coverage is shrinking year on year
No
>This is because average global temperatures are higher than they were in the recent past
No. It'd be nice if they would go a little higher and stay that way since we're living in an interglacial period right now. And what comes before and after an interglacial period? Hmmm....
>The primary cause for this temperature rise is anthropogenic. For example emission of greenhouse gasses and deforestation.
Oh, so you're one of those edzhucated indivijuls that thinks science is done by voting on shit you like while ignoring shit you don't like. Okay then.
>"Liberal" politics
And you also seem to think there's a difference between libtard and republicunt politicians. It's like choosing ball vs hollowpoint for your firing squad - you're still fucked my friend.
>>
>>33486265
>>33487494

it is possible to loathe Al Gore and agree that man-made climate change is probably happening, you know.

I swear, conservatives who ideologically disagree with physics just because the well established science of radiative forcing is being used to push intrusive state-intervention, are just as retarded as liberals who get triggered by there only being two biological genders. Yes, science can be politicised, but that doesn't mean you get to pick your facts to go with your feels.
>>
>>33487919
>pick your facts
That's a little rich coming from someone that believes in the "truth" obtained from literal cherry picking and simulations that have to be coaxed into producing the "correct" result.
It's not warming, it's not people doing it and there's not much that people can do against it if it was to actually happen.
It is however changing, like the climate on this planet always has. It's normal. NORMAL. IF and WHEN it gets bad we need to adapt, not blame it on the boogie.
>>
>>33481357
>Patrol boat
>Implying the weaponry is for anything other than show/intimidating some civilian asshats doing something illegal
>>
It's an S&R and law enforcement platform, not a warship.
>>
>>33488004
>adapt once it gets bad
>i.e. leave it until it's too late
Idiot.

>Cherry picking
Why do the majority of scientists disagree with you then?
>>
>>33486257
>he doesn't know that the polar and antarctic ice caps... are actually growing and have been growing for some time
>he thinks that temperatures going up on average for a short time are going to end the world and cause it to flood
>he thinks that man has fuck all to do with raising the temperature, when it has shown to swing up and down no matter what the fuck we do

God damn you're fucking retarded. Kill yourself immediately.
>>
File: 42341234234234.jpg (82KB, 343x543px) Image search: [Google]
42341234234234.jpg
82KB, 343x543px
>>33487919
>man-made climate change
>change
>liberal lingvo
>if it goes up we were right
>if it goes down we were right
>we are always right no matter what facts are

For newfags:
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/03/01/global-cooling-compilation/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kGB5MMIAVA [Embed]
>>
>>33488091
>majority of scientists
>majority of wikipedia editors / gender studies experts in my safe space
ftfy
And did you even read what I wrote? The majority of X agreeing on Y does not make Y true. Truth is not discovered by voting.
And when you also see that the majority of X are not what they say they are and that Y can very easily be nullified by the presence of some ignored variable Z, and that the whole thing smells strangely similar to a wealth redistribution scheme.....

>adapt once it gets bad
>i.e. leave it until it's too late
Too late because? The sky is falling? Because some dudes that want money voted on it?
What use does the adaptation serve if the thing we're adapting to is not happening and most likely not going to happen?
>>
>>33488220
>the majority of x agreeing on y doesnt make y true
No, but when x is 'climate scientists' and y is 'climate change' it makes it pretty bloody likely.
>>33488171
>Properly defining something is just a scary liberal tactic
Whatever you say kiddo.
>>
File: legates-chart.jpg (63KB, 460x467px) Image search: [Google]
legates-chart.jpg
63KB, 460x467px
>>33488271
Are you in violation of Rule 2 or just trolling? Or both?
Meh, whatever. This is the internets.
>>
>>33488171
i don't care about the climate at all, but are you really that dumb?

you cherrypick a NeWsPaPeR CliPpInG? how old is that?

what are these links here OH MY A YOUTUBE VIDEO FROM 1978 CALL THE GOVERNMENT, WE HAVE FRESH EVIDINCE
>>
>>33488359
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsdWTBNyvX0
>>
File: climate change.jpg (846KB, 1984x912px) Image search: [Google]
climate change.jpg
846KB, 1984x912px
>>
>>33488702

nice up to date source there lad ;^)

>trusting science from an era when people thought flared jeans and disco were cool
>>
>>33486361
That looks like a fucking toy
>>
File: 1385228124019.jpg (5KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1385228124019.jpg
5KB, 125x125px
>>33481259
Yeah we should have put ATGMs and AShMs on it.
These seals and occasional drunk inuits aren't fucking around.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.