[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SAFETY THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: 8534426451_7cfca69774.jpg (104KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
8534426451_7cfca69774.jpg
104KB, 500x333px
Out of all the safety mechanism (or psuedo safeties) on firearms. What is your preferred type?

Pros and cons of each type?

I'm trying to look at it from a design standpoint. Selectorswitch on a shotgun would be weird, but perfectly acceptable on a saiga.
>>
When I'm handling a Glock, I always feel like I'm doing something wrong because there's no safety to put on
IMO every gun should have a manual safety switch, with the exception of revolvers
>>
I really like the multi-directional safety/decocker switch on the USP
>>
File: IMG_5054.jpg (37KB, 943x403px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5054.jpg
37KB, 943x403px
>>
>>33480226
Why single out revolvers? A 1911 with the hammer down is just as safe. Most (not sure about modern) revolvers have a half cock safety also that essentially doubles as the loading mode if its not swing out.

Lever rifles used the half cock before the lawyer button was put on.
>>
>>33480188
I don't really have a preference. I don't like cross bolt button safeties and I think it's a fucking joke that Glock says Glocks have 3 safeties. The former is really cheap to me, and the latter is just marketing wank.
>>
>>33480188
Single side, frame mounted thumb safety is best safety.

Drop safeties are 100% pointless, literally no pistol has a trigger mechanism heavy enough to go off under its own inertia, even tuned ultralight 1911 triggers. You'd have to use a machine to slam the gun down hard enough to catastrophically shatter it to build enough momentum for the trigger to pull itself.
>>
>>33480226
That really isn't necessary
>>
>>33480275
From a purely design standpoint i think tang and crossbolt safeties are terrible simply because you can't intuitively tell what side safe is or weather green/red means will fire or won't fire.
>>
On a pistol, I like a long first trigger pull. On a rifle, I like half cock. Just keep your gun at hand and your finger off the trigger.
>>
File: bt1122wnp_1.jpg (123KB, 3000x663px) Image search: [Google]
bt1122wnp_1.jpg
123KB, 3000x663px
>>33480188
Honestly like my Glock safety the most. But, I like the feel of a 1911 safety the most if I needed to pick a real safety. Haven't shot any real long guns :/
The safety on my airgun doesn't bother me too much though.
>>
Tang safety because I love shotguns and also because I'm a left-handed degenerate
>>
ive got a question do you guys actually use the safety or not?
what i mean it seems like there are people who have the safety on all the time and only flick it off in order to shoot. as in shoot 3 times flick safety back on flick safety off right before they shoot again.

meanwhile others will turn it off while carrying it and flick it on when the gun leaves their hands.
>>
>meanwhile others will turn it off while carrying it and flick it on when the gun leaves their hands.

I personally have it on safe at all times unless i'm about to use it. I don't fiddle without when at the range putting holes in things, though in hindsight i should probably practice flicking it off as i draw.
>>
Some internal system that stops it from firing when dropped. Otherwise keep finger off trigger.
>>
>>33480905
At least you own your genetics like a man
>>
>>33480310
>T. Retard who doesn't understand how drop safeties work or what they're meant to prevent
>>
>>33480269
>Why single out revolvers?
because they have a much heavier trigger pull.
i guess by that criteria you could single out maks as well
>>
File: 1490568777950.jpg (189KB, 775x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1490568777950.jpg
189KB, 775x1024px
Best safety
>>
>>33480188
Thumb, always thumb. You don't want to have a bunch of guns with different types of safeties, that can lead to training scars. Thumb is the most natural and common.

If most police officers can use an ALS holster with no issue then you should have no issue using a safety. They know their thumb must do something to release the gun, as you should know your thumb must do something to activate the gun. It's not an unnecessary feature, it makes the gun more versatile, is: safer to holster, leave on a surface and pick up (like a safe shelf or drawer), and acts as an extra form of retention.
>>
>>33480188
Internal drop/firing pin safety. And either an integrated trigger safety or DA/SA with a de-cocker.
>>
DA/SA. Only striker gun I carry is a Glock with an SCD.
>>
>>33480915
>ive got a question do you guys actually use the safety or not?

I do.
>shooting AR
>coming on target
>switch safety off
>finished shooting, lower the rifle
>switch the safety back on

It's actually mind boggling as to how 90% of /k/ doesn't actually do this and considers it a waste of time. I get it with an AK since it's sort of a PITA if you don't put in the time and effort but jfc, it's an AR.
>>
If possible, none, like the Glock. If it's single action then a safety that swipes down with the thumb, like the AR and 1911. The swipe down action is very intuitive.

I'd also like to try grip-safety only single action, like the R51, but that gun is a pile.
>>
>>33483077
Not him, but what are they meant to prevent?
>>
>>33480188
1911 style (though closer to a CZ-75 or Jericho 941 version of it) for pistols (need that thumbrest motherfuckers)

As for rifles, the AR is quick and quiet and ultra tactical and shit but I enjoy how fucking simple and easy to use the AK version is.
If you aren't keeping your hand on the grip 24/7 (for instance when on guard duty, fighting from a transport, home defense, etc) it really is no harder to use and feels a bit more positive (at least to me)
>>
>>33480269
>1911 hammer down is safe

Protip it isnt you fucking retard, unless specifically referring to series 80 and clones

A hammer down 1911 is not treated as safe any any fucking case
>>
>>33485239
I should clarify: the 1911/CZ-75 style safety is NOT because of its use as a safety but rather as a shooting aid (I always shoot with my thumbs up by the slide)
>>
If you require an external thumb safety you have zero confidence in your ability and you're a fucking moron. If you can't keep your finger off the trigger then you shouldn't be handling guns. Nearly every handgun and rifle you come in contact with will have a drop safety at the least. If you can't do your part in keeping that gun pointed in a safe direction and finger off the trigger, what's the point of a thumb safety?

I swear you safety fucks are retarded.
>>
>>33486690
Cont'd.
1911s, BHPs and SAO guns call for it. Outside that, go fuck yourself
>>
>>33480188
I prefer perfection.
>>
>>33486713
Then why mod the shit out of a perfect gun?
>>
The only pistol that needs a manual safety are SAO pistols. DA/SA and striker fire are fine without a safety
>>
>>33486727
More perfecter
>>
>>33486731
glock is fine
>>
>>33485259
Explain
>>
>>33486690
What are:

Hiking rifles
Fudding through brush
Horse/atv mounted use
Alaskan native defense

All of which have the potential for non optimal range conditions where something else could pull the trigger.

You're theoretical magic finger safety is not real world viable
>>
>>33480915
>ive got a question do you guys actually use the safety or not?
I almost never do. Only time I do is when I'm decocking my Makarov (and it's other Soviet equivalents) to shoot it DA/SA once in a while.
>>
>>33480226
It's not 1986 anymore. Glocks have been around for a while now. Yes they are safe.
>>
>>33486690
>If you can't do your part in keeping that gun pointed in a safe direction and finger off the trigger, what's the point of a thumb safety?

holstering, passing through dense foliage, fighting for retention, training inexperienced shooters, or any other situation where a trigger might get caught or be pulled without your intention.

I like a frame safety, as long as you practice drawing and disengaging the safety in one motion it adds no time to defensive shooting, there really is no downside.
>>
>>33480188
I honestly hate safeties. I prefer a decocker, but if I have to take one, grip safety.
>>
>>33480269
this
i leave mine on half cock
>>
>>33486736
not him but parabellum firing pin
>>
>>33480188
On shotguns, mossberg style tang safeties
on handguns, I prefer DA with hammer down
on rifles, unsure (I don't have a lot of experience with shooting rifles outside of milsurp)
>>
>>33480247
This, unironically. Rifles make sense for safeties since they usually don't have a holster covering the trigger but pistols really don't need them. Shotguns, on the blackstrap, and rifles put into fire mode by the thumb.
>>
>>33480188
I dont like safeties that require manual intervention to use.

Its one of the reasons I gravitated to Glocks and Henry's.

I like knowing that if the trigger is forward on the Glock, or the hammer cocked on the Henry, its going to fire the second I pull the trigger. No questions asked.

Which isnt to say Glock's or Henry's have no safety mechanisms, just that they don't require intervention to use.
>>
>>33486736
The falling block drop safety for the firing pin wasn't introduced until the Series 80. Prior to that design change, a fully lowered hammer would still apply pressure to the firing pin and the primer of a loaded round. If a pre-80 1911 fell on the dropped hammer, the impulse could still result in an accidental discharge.
>>
>>33480188
DA/SA, with decocker.

G

O

A

T
>>
>>33486736
>>33486906
Yea, it doesnt have a "Transfer Bar" type safety to keep the hammer from touching the firing pin like a Henry Rifle does.
>>
>>33485207
Discharge from sudden changes in impulse/acceleration.
>>
>>33487014
Came here to post this.

>P226 master race
>>
>>33487030
Lewd!
>>
>>33486731
>>
>>33487030
Except that literally cannot happen without parts of the gun breaking first because it requires such a drastic and violent movement, and they don't do shit to prevent a discharge in the event of those parts (sear, hammer hooks) actually breaking.
>>
File: 12815318.jpg (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
12815318.jpg
26KB, 640x480px
>>33487121
Seems like lowering the bar to me. Guess pic related is Perfection®™
>>
>>33486690
Confirmed for only shooting at the range.
Git gud kiddo
>>
>>33480310
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1545936_how_has_your_day_been_so_far___I_just_had_a_ND_in_the_bathroom_at_the_office_UPDATE_OP.html&page=1
>1911 series 70 on safe
>falls on muzzle
>boom
and that's what firing pin safeties are for

>>33487131
a firing pin safety would prevent discharge if the sear or hammer broke
>>
File: TT33.jpg (636KB, 2227x1485px) Image search: [Google]
TT33.jpg
636KB, 2227x1485px
May i come in?
>>
In my opinion the safety on the Mauser 98 is the best. You could throw that damned thing against a tree and it wouldn't go off!
My favourite hunting gun if I have to go close combat tracking wounded boar!
>>
>>33480310

Is this bait or are you a legitimate retart?
>>
File: Beretta2.jpg (233KB, 1402x606px) Image search: [Google]
Beretta2.jpg
233KB, 1402x606px
>>33480188
>What is your preferred type?

Oh boy I'm going to catch shit for this.

I like my Beretta 92's
>inb4 rage
Meaning the mechanism itself. The way it works. The idea that there is a drum between the hammer and firing pin that will break the chain of action when turned is pretty fucking dope honestly.
>>
>>33486906
>>33487008
>>33487017

Thanks anons. I knew they were meant to be condition 1 when carried and that the pin block thing didn't exist back in the saa days. Surprised that still wasn't remedied by then.
>>
>>33490378
Are you me? I love the way the safety works, even if it goes the wrong way.

My favorite safety for a handgun has to be the Makarov. Perfect place for it really.

I really like the FN style rotating safety as well though.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.