[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 32

File: 1418043917539.jpg (86KB, 636x571px) Image search: [Google]
1418043917539.jpg
86KB, 636x571px
Up at 0400 hours edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
Best branch for intel analyst?
>>
Going in to negotiate contract next week, anything particular i should look out for? I'm going either infantry or cav scout, gonna make sure to ask for bonuses and airborne contract. Anything else to look out for or avoid?
>>
Are STEM degrees mandatory for a chance to get commissioned?
>>
File: 1490870702019.jpg (77KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1490870702019.jpg
77KB, 640x640px
>tfw tubby and going Air Force
>tfw I'll get to enjoy guarding bad ass missile silos and checking IDs with best food and housing
>>
>>33480148
Yeah, joining the Army
>>
>>33480256
No.
>>
File: 13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg (822KB, 1330x800px) Image search: [Google]
13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg
822KB, 1330x800px
If you aint infantry, you aint shit.
>>
>>33480835
This

FUCK POGS
>>
I've secured a 2W1X1 contract, Aircraft Armament Systems. Airmen in this career field are called load toads apparently. Artistic anons, requesting an air force Pepe plz!
>>
>>33480137
It doesn't really matter, they all do the same stuff. I'd recommend Navy or air force though, just for the quality of life
>>
Anyone in 13f? What's it like currently?
>>
>>33480835
and a marine?
>>
>>33480835
lol have fun mowing lawns faggot
>>
foreigner reporting in, can i join the army/navy without citizenship? if not, what's the best way to get citizenship
>>
What are some of the best Navy rates that are more likely than others to get deployed/onnaship?
>>
Lemme just say to any of you non-mouthbreathers that may be in this thread, if you're at all intelligent and want a combat arms job go officer. If you are smart but don't feel like going to college, then get a smart guy job as an enlisted man. I knew I fucked up when I enlisted infantry and while on ftx had to explain to my friends what stars were and they were dumbfounded.

Go to a cheap, shitty ass school with an ROTC program, fuck some college girls and take the retard level classes. Then be a butterbar. You'll save yourselves a lot of bullshit details and mouthbreathing NCOs who joined right out of HS and are essentially 29 year old teenagers who know how to kill people. Your undergrad being from Shitsville U won't matter if you use your veteran benefits to go to grad school somewhere half decent.
>>
>>33481472
lol have fun getting girls

..oh wait
>>
>>33481542
Believe it or not most civilians don't give a fuck what your military job is. I know you wouldn't understand this as you fuck the used, abused sluts who hang around military bases. But yeah dude. Grunt Life bro. Rip Its my dude. Again, have fun kicking tires and mowing the lawn on base.
>>
>>33481484
Yeah if you're a permanent resident you can join. You can't get a security clearance though and you need to do some extra shit like sending your high school diploma to a company to have it certified as equivalent to US high school, an extra language test called ECLT. I'm a eurofag and I'm enlisting next week.
>>
>>33481564
>the U.S. will never be in another war infantry will never be used again
More Boots on the ground in Syria before Christmas just wait
>>
>>33481574
but how you become permant resident?
>>
>>33481594
That's harder. I married an American woman so that's how I got my permanent residence card. You can't join on a temporary work visa or stuff like that.
>>
>>33481588
You can get into some shit without blowing your knees out walking everyone like a dickhead and being the base bitch in garrison.

But yeah there will most likely be more boots on the ground in Syria soon. Arty guys are already there.
>>
>>33481564
did i hit a nerve?
>there wil never be anymore wars ever again!!! hahahaha cry more faggot
>>
>>33481564
Have fun holding ground with only drones.

Retard
>>
>>33481619
And rangers are in kuwait moving in and the 82nd is expected to show up as well.
You CAN get into some shit doing other jobs but if you're infantry and something pops off, that's your most likely get to see said shit. Other than any SOF of course.
>>
>>33480835
I always kek when I see the last guy. heavy ass comms gear, a rifle, carrying a HMG barrel + 300 rounds on belts, while wandering into a sandstorm.

Was it worth it to fuck the Battalion XO's wife, lance cpl. Schmuckatelli?
>>
>>33481631
Oh yeah I remember when I said infantry was a pointless MOS...oh wait no I don't. Its just a shitty one.

>>33481622
Nope. Enjoy the herp from the barracks rats.
>>
>>33481645
>t butthurt fat fuck that got turned down
>>
>>33480835
You post this every single thread. We get it already, infantry is shit.
>>
I'm like really overweight will the army get me fit or do I have to get fit then join?
>>
File: 8a4.jpg (30KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
8a4.jpg
30KB, 316x202px
>can't get secret clearance because mom is a green card holder
>>
>>33481682
You cry every single thread. We get it already, youre a pussy
>>
>>33481639
Well 101 was in Iraq fairly recently and my boys there said rumor was they were there partially to look mean, but also in case the order was given to blitz across the border.

Could just be typical lower enlisted rumor mill bullshit, but who knows.
>>
>>33481683
You need to meet the weight limit. It's based on your height so you can find a chart. For me I'm 6'2" and 218 was max for my height. minimum was 164 I think. So you have to meet the limit first.
>>
>>33481683
depends. They're letting fatboys in more because the Army is growing right now.
>>
>>33481701
>wahh, I was too ignorant to get a better job
>>
Want to sign up for avionics for my MOS in the Air Force. Recruiter said that there are openings for electronics & maintanence. It was suggested that I go to MEPS with at least 5 things picked out for a career. What are the chances of acquiring a position of my choosing?
>>
>>33481680
If anyone is butthurt it sounds like you. I'd be pissed too if my day consisted of mowing the lawn, police calling smoke pits and cleaning weapons.
>>
>>33481718
>>33481733
>pog tears

hilarious
>>
>>33481721
Totally depends on what they have available and what your asvab is man. If theres a slot for your preferred MOS open and you meet the requirements your gold, but they don't always have open slots
>>
>>33481746
It's not your fault you're stupid. Personnel other than grunts would be POTG, idiot. I'll be fine because I have all this extra money lying around to wipe away my tears.
>>
>>33481775
>potg

literally what hahahahaha
ahhahahahahhaahahahahahaaha
>>
>>33481785
the fact that you don't get what that dude is saying is funny as shit
>>
>>33481824
its pog faggot what is this gay potg shit ahahahahahaha
>>
>>33481785
>>33481839
It's ok, things we don't understand can be confusing. For me it's quantum physics, and for you it's spelling.
>>
File: 1482472766378.jpg (26KB, 479x480px) Image search: [Google]
1482472766378.jpg
26KB, 479x480px
>>33481175
I don't have any oc but here's a semi air force pepe for you
Congrats
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>33481864
literally you ahaha
>>
Interested in joining the Coast Guard, currently in the National Guard. What are the best CG jobs? Any high speed shit?
>>
I like this thread because it's never served autists arguing with other never served autists about military acronyms
>>
File: 1490826698608.jpg (36KB, 750x758px) Image search: [Google]
1490826698608.jpg
36KB, 750x758px
>>33482119
That's where you're wrong kiddo, I'm a muhreen.
>>
>>33482142

Was referencing the POTG shit, where you stationed fellow muhreen
>>
Any ADF faggots on?
Commandos are just SF wannabes yeah?
>>
>>33482192
>referencing the POTG shit

That was me. Quantico, where you at?
>>
File: 1486693711986.jpg (435KB, 1280x1264px) Image search: [Google]
1486693711986.jpg
435KB, 1280x1264px
Shipping to MCRD SD on April 17th

What the fuck.
>>
>>33482299
So you're not a muhreen yet? It's ok I too enjoy LARPing.

What's your contract for?
>>
>>33482376
>It's ok I too enjoy LARPing

?????
i'm a poolee

also DD (intel/sigint)
>>
File: 1473991513301.jpg (36KB, 609x324px) Image search: [Google]
1473991513301.jpg
36KB, 609x324px
>>33480061
If I try steriods will they, as in army and meps find out / droped 60lbs in dead even though I dead 2-3 times a week and feel like dying right now
>>
>>33482470
What the actual fuck did you just say
>>
>>33482426
You're not a muhreen until you pass boot camp which you most likely will as they will drag you through if they have to. I work on helis. Have fun.
>>
>>33482505
Can I do steroids and enlist
>>
>>33482470
Yes they will find out you dropped 60lbs in dead even though you dead 2-3 times a week and feel like dying right now.
>>
18. Considering joining the Marines. What are the chances that I could get deployed to an invasion in Iraq or Syria?
>>
>>33482545
Nigger
>>
>>33482553
>marines
>deploy and be important
Pick one
>>
>>33482553
Don't make the same mistakes I did. There's plenty of other much better opportunities in other branches.
>>
>>33482527
>You're not a muhreen until you pass boot camp

Did you get the impression somewhere that I called myself a marin?
>>
>>33482587
>Other branches
Which ones?
What will give me the highest chances of deploying in country?
>>
>>33482617
I thought this>>33482192 was you
>>
>>33482119
cringe
>>
>>33482652
That would depend on a number of different factors. Are you SF material?
>>
>>33482695
it aint me
>>
>>33482884
Me right now.
>>
>>33482202
No
>>
>>33481754
89, as far as I'm aware I am qualified for any position that doesn't require special testing to get in to. Looking at bomber/ special electronic warfare avionics as a first pick. Planning to use the gi bill to get a degree in electrical engineering and apply to be a civil engineer.
>>
File: 1382795614041.jpg (311KB, 983x750px) Image search: [Google]
1382795614041.jpg
311KB, 983x750px
What are some tips to survive Marine Corps Recruit Training without getting destroyed by Drill Instructors?
>>
>>33483849
In general, is there a really good guide to basic?
>>
>>33482961
What are they then?
>>
>>33483849
>>33484011
Don't go in the first place and join a real branch.
>>
File: air support.jpg (87KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
air support.jpg
87KB, 1920x1080px
Help me decide on what I should do. I'm on the fence about becoming a Battlefield Airman. Currently in the DEP. Can pass the PAST test. Tacp is within reach though I already have a contract guaranteed for armament systems. Am I retarded? Which is the better job and why?
>>
>>33484134
t. AF security forces
>>
How selective are marines for OCS candidates? I've got a degree from a decent university, but my GPA was crap.
>>
What is life as a fusion analyst like and what can I do afterwards?
>>
So I know in the Army you can have whatever MOS and "drop a packet" to try out for SF.

But how about for Marine Recon?
They're "special operations capable" but aren't considered SOF.
So if I join with 'X MOS' can I try out for Recon whenever or do I have to wait to reenlist and then lat over to 0321?
>>
File: 1425694468018.jpg (232KB, 887x900px) Image search: [Google]
1425694468018.jpg
232KB, 887x900px
What are some of the benefits of enlisting with a four year degree as an E-4 versus trying to earn a commission?
>>
>>33485247
As an officer you'll have a higher quality of life and get paid a lot more versus being enlisted.
>>
>>33484066
they are definitely SF. SASR are more recon based and commandos are the ones that go knocking with sledgehammers
>>
I'm 32 and have 8 years experience in programming and digital security. Would it actually be worthwhile to try for Army Cryptology/Network Warfare or do I need to let this dream die?
>>
>>33485292
Oh neat.
For some reason I had it in my head that commandos were the guys who just couldn't get into SASR but were still a cut above the average block.
>>
>>33481564
>Believe it or not most civilians don't give a fuck what your military job is.

Holy shit dude this cannot be said enough.

People literally could not give less of a fuck what you did in the military unless it's something they are specifically interested in or if they're thinking about joining. The vast majority of people, including chicks, just absolutely don't give a fuck.

Yeah for younger college age girls it might make their pussy a little moist when they first meet you because you're a little older than their cohort and you were "a soldier". Which just means you're probably in a little bit better shape than the traditional college students (straight out of high school). But it's mostly novelty.

Outside of "I was in the military" they do not know the difference between an infantryman and a cook. They don't care if you were a hard dick killer or an intel weenie, or an MP, or a ground surveillance radar operator, or civil affairs et cetera ad nauseum.
>>
>>33484136
>Which is the better job and why?

This literally could not matter less.

If you even think you'll regret not enlisting for TACP do that.

If you think armament systems is a better MOS and it's what you want to do enlist for that.
>>
>>33484794
>What is life as a fusion analyst like and what can I do afterwards?

It depends on where you go and if and where you deploy.

In general your job is to conduct predictive analysis. More specifically, you're job is to produce predictive analytical products for a given customer based on a set of PIRs (Priority Intelligence Requirements) given by the customer.

This means you combine collections from HUMINT, SIGINT, GEOINT, and OSINT with research and any other outside knowledge of the subject or area in order to provide a customer with an intelligence product that allows them to make an informed policy decision.

The customer can range from unit commanders to the POTUS. But realistically this will depend on where you go and what you do. You could be deployed to a combat zone and be doing tactical level intelligence analysis which involves shorter term daily products. You could be deployed to one of the CENT commands in Kuwait or another combatant command doing long term regional products like white papers.

TBQF&H with you famalam the schoolhouse, at least for the Army, is not anywhere near adequate to produce a good all source analyst. And I don't think even units really know how to train and use all source analysts outside of deployment. It's easier for them to understand what GEOINT (looking at satellite photos and telling you what they are of, sometimes doing full motion video stuff) or SIGINT (going through SIGINT collections and creating tear lines that then go to the all source cells) guys do.

You'll hear people who don't know what all source/"fusion" analysts actually do say something along the lines of "they are 'jacks of all trades'" or "entry level intel MOS" (ignoring that literally any MOS you can enlist into as an initial enlistee is entry level). This is because for those outside of analysis what we do is very ambiguous and opaque.

As far as after enlistment there are options but they are going to require civilian education.
>>
>>33480061
who /eczema/ here? should i just lie and get buttraped in high sec prison when someone spots a flare up?
>>
>>33485590
cont.

You can get a gig as a contractor but there are a few things to consider.

1. You need a two year degree to get into an all source/fusion slot. It's not the decision of the company that wants to hire you it's the decision of DoD and around 2011 it became a requirement for hire.

2. Anons here will talk about contracting but they, for the most part, are full of shit or don't actually know anything. You'll get decent offers for going to shit holes. I got an offer when I got out to go to Afghanistan for $155K for a year with a contract completion bonus. But if you're looking for a position CONUS, which exist almost everywhere in the country from San Antonio, Texas to Tampa, Florida, the pay is going to be like 1/3 of that on average.

3. If you suck or there are irreconcilable differences between you and the company you work for you can be fired. I've heard of guys getting fired and having to buy their own plane ticket home from Kuwait. I also got offered to finish a contract after another analyst got fired 6 months in.

As for federal civilian, you're going to have to have a four year degree. That's minimum just to get your application looked at at federal agencies.

Now the traditional FBI and CIA aren't the only places you can work as an all source analyst. The Department of Energy hires non STEM graduates to do all source analysis, DHS (federal as well as states that have their own DHS like New Jersey), Defense Intelligence Agency, BATFE, DEA, local and state law enforcement agencies (sort of, this could be it's own separate topic because it requires a discussion of how criminal analysis in law enforcement is evolving) etc.

As far as undergrad/grad majors it's irrelevant. What I would suggest though is something that requires a lot of writing, especially analytical writing. So STEM is okay but I would say anything Poli Sci or history related is just as good.
>>
>>33485590
>TBQF&H with you famalam the schoolhouse, at least for the Army, is not anywhere near adequate to produce a good all source analyst.

Going back to this:

I think the problem is that the school for the Army was only 12-16 weeks when I went through in 2007 and it's primarily focused on forcing you into public speaking and teaching you map reading and symbology. And then you have a 2 (IIRC) week FTX at the end with the goal just to make you tired as fuck all day and then sit in an un air conditioned shack meant to be a TOC/SCIF and not fall asleep. And then the instructor rolls through once an hour just to yell at all the students.

If I were to design it I turn it into essentially a year of college. The classes would be centered on analytical writing, data analysis, research methods, critical thinking, intelligence analysis as a practice (the university I'm at right now has a class that is literally this that I'm taking, ran like a graduate seminar) including evaluating historical analytical products, comparative politics, international relations theory, basic level micro and macro economics, specific politics classes (MENA, China, Russia, Kurdish), terrorism topics, and language+culture immersion classes that are full time for 2-3 weeks.
>>
>>33485616
/eczemafag/ here
The vaccines can kill you. Don't lie.
Go Air Force, they're doing eczema waivers now.
>>
>>33485709
but ive gotten vaccines before. what difference will these vaccines make?
>>
>>33485756
>what difference will these vaccines make?

They will give you autism.
>>
>>33482531
depends if its the kind that show up on a drug screen. they told us on block leave to avoid that shit
>>
>>33485758
Many such cases unfortunately
>>
>>33481500
Qm, Bm, Os, lol Cs
>>
>>33485838
>depends if its the kind that show up on a drug screen

Test isn't going to show on a urinalysis. They would have to do a blood panel.

>>33485853
Hi Jim Carrey!
>>
>>33485756
I've heard the smallpox one can nearly kill you.
>>
File: 1462424777798.jpg (27KB, 542x474px) Image search: [Google]
1462424777798.jpg
27KB, 542x474px
>tfw incorporating in 5 days
>>
>>33484136
you'll have a decent paying career in armament systems once your out think long term anon
>>
>>33486009
like how?
>>
>>33486012
>incorporating
Explain please
>>
>>33485382

The military has little to offer you at that point. If you want to do cyber shit for the government, join an agency.
>>
>>33486110
Not American
Means I'm entering my regiment and officially becoming a solja
>>
>>33486250
aus?
>>
>>33481500
It's the fucking navy, most rates wind up onna ship at some point
>>
>>33481864
Hey don't fuck with him and his single-digit asvab score
>>
>>33486542

Ya tell that retard lol WE DEM BOYZ!!!

(Underway, shift colors)

Muh Dijo BACK THE FUCK UP CHIEF!

(Muster all E5 and below on the mess decks with CS1 Nigger for trash offload)

GETTIN DAT ESWAAAAAS BRUH!

(Gun decks 13-week report)

AY, AY, AY, peeettieeee!!!!!

(Fall asleep on aft look out)

Nigga FUCK A MOTHERFUCKIN DRESS WHITE INSEPCTION LMMFAO!

(Relieves watch 23 minutes late)

Gown take some MUFUKIN Bitch nSHYTT!

(Check leave on NSIPS)

WHERE DAT EARLY OUT CHIT NIGGA?!?! AYYYYY!!!!

(Reenlists for shore duty)
>>
>tfw 7 months on board
>taking 14 hours of college
>managing two work centers
>studying ESWS
>doing maintenance
>doing extra bullshit like training and write ups for CHENG and XO.

very close to offing myself senpai
>
>>
>>33486359
French
>>
How does rank work across services? Do higher ranks in other services have authority over a lower rank in another service?
>>
>>33484156
What are you trying to say? That I'm AFSF? No, I'm a muhreen.
>>
>>33486733

Considering that members across services don't often work with each other, it doesn't matter. Real authority is within a specific command.

For joint task forces, there will be a directly appointed structure chain-of-command and authority. i.e. a Navy E-6 directing Army and Airforce E-5 and below in joint communications task force.
>>
>>33486608
anon, I...I don't read spear-chucker..yet.
>>
>>33485522
>Trained ass off, got selected for Marine OCS, took 2 years
>everybody wished my luck "at boot camp"
>Girls thought I was in the army
>>
What's up with the weird racial tendencies in the armed forces? I was at meps with a bunch of people shipping out and the only 2 asian dudes were both going special forces, PJ and SEAL. Most of the black guys were army motorpool or mechanics in the navy, almost all white women were going air force to do some desk job, for people doing combat arms (infantry, cav scout, combat medic etc) it was a just a bunch of white dudes and one pretty autistic latina.

Of course there was some black black guy going into intelligence and so forth but there were some pretty clear tendencies.
>>
>>33486949
He's speaking Surface; pretty much the same thing, though.
>>
>>33487330

>implying he isn't speaking carrier
>>
>>33487317
Perhaps different racial groups have different abilities?
>>
File: 1486664204941.jpg (13KB, 233x188px) Image search: [Google]
1486664204941.jpg
13KB, 233x188px
>>33487317
>black guy going into intelligence
>>
>>33487356

different anon. but the only screening that far is usually just ASVAB floors. lots, lots more people get weeded out from MEPS -> battalion/regiment/fleet/etc.

though, family history plays a big part i.e filipinos being navy LS's and CS's
>>
>>33487365
He was autistic as fuck, he was my room mate at the hotel and he was sitting in bed watching Arrow and shitty youtube clips most of the evening and loudly commented on everything happening on the screen. I guess most people going intel are pretty autistic so maybe he'll be fine.
>>
>>33487381
kek, I remember you commenting about this in the last thread.
>>
Hey guys, should I lie about smoking weed a couple times 6 years ago? I'm interested in enlisting air force for intel & cyber jobs some of which require security clearances.

Will they polygraph me and kick me out over it later? Or will they reach out to people I barely know and find out later and kick me out?
>>
>>33487539
Sorry i can't give you a good answer to this. But when i was at Houston MEPS last week they said they currently don't accept ANY previous marijuana use when we filled out our forms. If it's so minor i think you could lie about it, but since you're going for TS if you get busted later you're in deep shit.

So yeah, since it's so minor it's not likely people will remember it and tell the investigator unless your friends are druggies. I also smoked week like 2 times maybe 5 years ago and i rounded that down to 0 and said never. But i'm not going for TS, and i didn't even do it in the US.

If it is the case that weed use disqualifies you period then you might want to gamble and lie, but i don't know if other MEPS are more lenient.
>>
How do you enlisted lot deal with the feeling like you won't be able to do well enough?
I'm terrified that I'll fuck up and let my team down
>>
>>33487635

take your training seriously. ask questions and get clarification on what seems fuzzy. you will fail at one point and you will learn from those mistakes.
>>
>>33487539
be honest with the recruiter, ultimately you have no need to tell this to MEPS
although AF as of 20170101 has relieved it's expectations about applicants' prior use, it is no longer disqualifying as long as you do not piss hot.
>>
>>33487763

doesn't it DQ from OCONUS duty station for first tour, though?
>>
>>33487845
like I said, be honest with your recruiter, or just keep it a secret. I came clean to my recruiter and he's been very helpful about the situation.
>>
>>33487871

Not him, btw. Admitting to prior pot use does no one any good save for DQ'ing yourself from various duties.

You would only do it if you had any misdemneaors involving pot, you listed druggies on your SF86, or have pictures of yourself smoking in the public sphere.
>>
>>33487539
If there is no paper trail (police or medical record), if you didn't fuck up and tell on yourself, and if you don't piss hot, how are they going to find out?
They're not. it's 2017. they're already assuming you've hit some sort of pipe or another. you just don't say anything about it and you're golden. I don't understand how people don't understand this...do you think they're spying on you? Do you think they're seriously going to blow money on some random recruit for a hair sample test? Are they going to do a vivisection and look at your lungs to look for tar-form marijuana residue?
Fuck no. If it's not on paper, or you didn't act like an autist and tell the recruiter you smoked some pot, everything will be just fine.
>>
Is it true that whatever the OPM TS background investigation uncovers is confidential? Meaning that they can't tell the military ? So I'd they find something bad about you you just lose the clearance
>>
>>33487763
I'm lucky enough to have a recruiter who told me "I don't want to hear it, shut up and never talk about any of this again and you're good"
>>
>>33483849
>>33484011
Do what you're told with speed, volume, and intensity. That's literally it. It's designed to be passed.

That being said, you're not going to sneak through boot camp. Getting smoked is part of the game. Even if you do nothing wrong they will still IT you just so you can have a turn.
>>
>>33484712
It depends how bad we are talking. Anything below a 3.0 is going to look pretty bad.

That sad, Marines mostly care about PFT, and it depends on what their recruiting mission looks like. 2011 anybody could get in, but 2013 it was impossible because of the sequester.

Being a nigger helps, if you are one. It also helps for graduating because they never get dropped from the course.
>>
>>33480835
>every Marine is a rifleman
>Marines have infantry as an MOS

fucking lel. If the USMC wanted to actually be the badasses they claim they are, they'd eliminated the Infantry and Recon MOS and would just cross train the POGS.
>>
>>33487317
There is a potential explanatory factor for this.

For a lot of black young adults enlisting they are told by pretty much every positive influence in their community that the military can be a job training opportunity. So they look at the military less like the chance to kill people and be a frat boy without having to actually take college classes and more as preparation for building career skills for the rest of their life.

So they choose MOS like supply, admin, mechanic etc. because they are told these are transferable skills.

Combat arms skews heavily southern white.
>>
What's it like being a martial art instructor? I'm non-US, and it's very likely my specialty will be that. It'll be a full-time thing, not a side duty thing like someone mentioned in the previous /meg/.

The closest US-equivalent I could find was MOS 0916/0917. Talk to me about rank and pay progression, or anything else you know, really. Too few people know anything about being an MA instructor, so I'll take whatever information I can get.
>>
>>33488401
Well i'm a white guy living in Texas going infantry so i guess it checks out.
>>
>>33488401
I'm white from WV and I'm going 03 so this is accurate I guess
>>
>>33487931
Bump
>>
>>33489279
Fraudulent enlistment is punishable by up to 2 years in prison, but i honestly don't think they would bother taking you to court over it. They'll just throw you out. The armed forces is not going to prosecute you for whatever shit they found on you, they're not the police.

But the fact you ask this means you clearly have some criminal shit you're trying to hide. What is it?
>>
>>33489418
It's nothing criminal or illegal, just my recruiter told me to lie about adhd meds I had when I was 12, i don't even have it anymore, and I've been off meds for 6 years
>>
>>33489495
In that case the only people who would reasonably know about it would be your parents or teacher, doctor. So make sure your parents don't spill the beans and you should be good to go. They generally don't care about any temporary things like that, just things that could be a problem to you now or in the future. You could probably get a waiver for it if you did decide to tell them about it, which might take a few weeks more but then you don't have to lie. So i don't know which option is best. If you popped a few pills for a short time it's no big deal. I don't think they'd disqualify you but they seemed to take ADD/ADHD pretty seriously when i saw the doctor at my physical. They will ask you about that specifically.
>>
>>33489555
I would think that they pay more attention to Attention Deficit Disorder patients who were medicated due to the fact that most medications for this disorder are schedule II stimulants/amphetamines...which is a very double edge sword. prolonged stimulant use through adolescence can have a profound effect on behavior and thought patterns....so the government says. And of course, being the DoD, they go by what the government says.
>>
Random question.

I'm shipping out to 11b OSUT soon.

Did you feel like you were in better shape afterwards? How did you APFT scores change before and after?
>>
>>33485247

If you're AD, 10000% go officer.

If you are going reserves or Guard, being an officer is a brutal timesink that might not be worth it, so if you want the education bennies dont bother, just enlist e-4
>>
>>33485590
>>33485637
>>33485703
Thank you very much for the information. Could you please tell me more about how post-enlistment the civilian hiring process functions
>>
Who else is going to Sill in late may?
>>
File: 111112.jpg (110KB, 610x343px) Image search: [Google]
111112.jpg
110KB, 610x343px
Out of curiosity, what are your experiences with the german military?
>>
>>33488401
>as preparation for building career skills for the rest of their life

I'm a Black guy in the Navy, and that's basically why I joined.

I'll deal with electronics on a submarine for 4 years, and then I'll use that experience to get a job dealing with electronics in the civilian world.
>>
>>33490547
idk you tell me.
>>
In the Air Force how bound are pilots to one particular sort of flying? Could someone do a stint as piloting a fighter then switch to SOF pilot, and back?
>>
File: 1490800219539.jpg (362KB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
1490800219539.jpg
362KB, 700x800px
>>33490871
You get trained on a specific airframe and you get assigned a specific wing. Some people get put on rotary wing, some people get stuck doing supporting assets, and the ones that are good and lucky get jets. It's a very competitive business in the AF. People can hop from one wing to another, but for the most part - if you're jets, that's what you're going to be doing the next 10 years. I don't quite know what you mean by SOF pilot either. If you mean like special purposes and testing pilots? Then I guess there's a selection for billets like that, and it isn't something you can just walk into.
>>
>>33490950

I mean the various AFSCs within the 11XX field. For instance if you got assigned an F-22 as an 11FX but were interesting in flying special missions as something like an 11SX. I'm asking if you're locked. What you seem to be saying is that you are locked.
>>
File: US_Special_Operations_Command.png (444KB, 7798x1570px) Image search: [Google]
US_Special_Operations_Command.png
444KB, 7798x1570px
>>33490973
I do think you are locked to your respective position and billet until you're selected for another duty assignment. Missions usually get handed down to wings and fighter squadrons, and the more "SOF-y" stuff is without a doubt selective and if you were to go through and pass whatever criteria they have for these duty assignments, that'd be your new home.

I'm not too familiar with the SOF aspect of flying for the AF. But the pic might help you out. From what I get, it's selection and special schools that you have to attend in order to be in a SF wing. I'm not too knowledgeable on the ins and outs of the USAF, but I know the general stuff as I have considered the AF as a career choice. I'm trying to become an Aviator with the USMC - jets, preferably.
>>
>>33491045

Whew, that's pretty handy dandy. Thanks anon.
>>
File: 1490929731118.jpg (2MB, 4698x3159px) Image search: [Google]
1490929731118.jpg
2MB, 4698x3159px
>>33491083
No problem. Best of luck!
>>
>>33490739
I wanted to know specifically about their level of training, professionalism,etc. compared to for example the US.
I'm considering joining once I have finished HS.
>>
>>33491430
They used to be great, but... not anymore.
>>
>>33487381
My roommate drank 3 bottles of mountain dew on the way to meps, that's like 1000 calories of sugar. Then he stayed up watching impractical Jokers until like 1 am, and he kept falling asleep the next day so they sent him home. I wonder how he's doing now lol
>>
Do you get a say in who's invited to basic training graduation?
>>
>>33492173
In the AF at least, you fill out a visitor access request form before BMT with the people you'd like to attend your graduation. Anyone not on that list is not getting in.
>>
>>33489786
You gain mid/ling distance cardio, but you massively lose gainz if you were a lifter.
>>
>>33492070
Sounds like he was looking for an out.
>>
>>33482102
No. Coast guard is exclusively low speed
>>
>>33492519

You know how I can tell that you have no idea what the Coast Guard actually does?
>>
How do you respond when someone calls you an idiot and tells you that you made a bad choice when you join
>>
File: 1404866249254.jpg (132KB, 780x749px) Image search: [Google]
1404866249254.jpg
132KB, 780x749px
>>33492584
Because your a colossal faggot with multiple dicks in and around your mouth.
>>
>>33492952
I say i know it's stupid but I don't care because I want to do it and I know I would regret not doing it. So I usually just laugh it off and say stupid patriotic over the top shit like freedom ain't free or that I want to eat crayons and learn to make stuff extra deader. As long as you come off as confident with the decision you made they'll accept it even if they don't agree with it.

It's easier to brush it off with humor than giving a serious list of the reasons you do it imo. Saves you time.
>>
>>33492952
fuck em, it's your life
>>
>>33480835
>>33481008
>>33481701
>>33481908

Unless you're someone actually important, like every sf/spec ops dude
Nobody cares you're brainwashed and autistic
>>
>>33484136
Tacp get mocked buy cct, pj, and sowt
Their shit isn't that hard compared to them lots of wash outs make it there
It's still a fun cool job but you deal with idiot army infantry so there's that
Airborne isn't a guarantee unlike the other three, but you'll most likely get ranger tab.
>>
>>33493201

do you have any opinions on 25S? think about going blue to green
>>
>>33493238
Anything maintenance you'll get fucked frequently work extra and nobody will care about you
>>
>>33493201

I really want to do cct, but I'm really interested in FID to the point that I'm even looking at MARSOC. Is there any chance of CCTs getting FID/UW cross training if they work often with SF elements?
>>
>>33493309
All af spec ops get farmed out to oda teams
Chanel of it happening, it will
>>
>>33493367

As long as I get the training formally I'm happy about it.
>>
>>33493398
You'll get all the cool training and Taticool shit you could dream of
>>
>>33493426

Stop. Stop. My penis can only become so erect!
>>
>>33493433
Jump halo and dive and wearing a beret that means something people go out of their way to help you with anything.
>>
>>33480137
this

>t. army 35 series
>>
File: 2017-01-15 12.54.17.jpg (315KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-15 12.54.17.jpg
315KB, 1280x960px
>>33493433
>>
File: FB_IMG_1483670353208.jpg (23KB, 603x340px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1483670353208.jpg
23KB, 603x340px
>>33493514
>>
>>33493514
Where are the blacks?
>>
File: hires_130424-F-IO684-0715a.jpg (3MB, 4920x3280px) Image search: [Google]
hires_130424-F-IO684-0715a.jpg
3MB, 4920x3280px
>>33493531
>>
>>33493540
The 6.5 yrs doing this I've met maybe 6 black dudes in spec ops
Black people generally don't do risky crazy shit
>>
>>33493201
>sowt
I had no idea what this was until I Googled it.

Special Forces Weathermen? Fucking really?

That's so funny to me for some reason.
>>
>>33488948
>not a side duty thing like someone mentioned in the previous /meg/.

The reason why someone said this is because this site is primarily used by Burgerlandians. And in the US military, outside of the Marine Corps because they have an official Marine Corps Martial Art with even a belt ranking system (while the Army system is called Modern Army Combatives Program and has a syllabus it's not really comparable in implementation), combatives instruction IS an additional duty.

As far as what you would be doing, I imagine it involves training whatever your national military combatives syllabus is.

>>33490162
>Could you please tell me more about how post-enlistment the civilian hiring process functions

When it comes to federal civilian agencies you just apply like everyone else. That is through cia.gov, dia.mil, fbi.gov etc. Federal agencies are all online applications now even though there are actual recruiters.

As far as specifically what an application requires it's up to the agency. But across the board there is an education requirement (Bachelor's minimum). You'll also want a competitive resume that will include your academic experience. So you want to get involved in extra curricular activities while at school, especially in leadership positions. You'll also need a strong cover letter.

But these are just basic application standards that apply pretty much everywhere from grad school to employment post college.

For contracting jobs it can be different. Most of the time you can just apply through USAjobs or any of the other job posting sites that host .gov jobs. But the offers I've gotten were through personal connections.

Which is something not a lot of people talk about. People skills are important regardless of whether you are a collector or an analyst. Not only are they important to collecting and conveying intelligence to the customer or other analysts, social skills are also important in building personal networks.
>>
>>33493700
It is to most people
Very new career field, first dude finished the pipeline back in 2011
Before that there was "combat weather" and they fucked everything up falling out of ruck on missions and shit, pipeline straightness that out
Tons of capabilities that most people don't know of or how to use
>>
>>33493309
Didn't you ask this question a few threads ago and someone slapped your dick in the dirt by pointing out that there's a pretty good chance you'll be told to stay in your lane?

Because it's true. There's a better than not chance you'll just be told to stay in your lane and do your own job.

If you want to do a certain job, enlist for it if possible. Don't get your hopes up about going into one job and magically getting trained for another completely unrelated job. In any single other context you would realize how retarded this line of thinking is.
>>
I signed as an ET nuke. It feels good
>>
>>33493759

This anon is right. Wait around for the right gig. Crosstraining is subject to availability, and most have a 2 year waiting requirement. Then you are stuck doing a job you dislike.

I got jewed into signing up for surface engineering gig with a 99 ASVAB to "expedite" my process while my other paperwork was supposedly being taking care of. I now regret it and hate everyday life so much that I am taking on huge workloads, college classes and extras/sucking dick to get a commission or some kind of special duty.
>>
>>33493838

Yeah for now. Enjoy your 3-day duty day rotation, and never knowing if your command is gonna re-call you on leave for emergencies. I dunno how old you are, but you are gonna have to grow up very quickly because if you don't:

a) you will drop school
or
b) you will hate your life
>>
>>33493889
I don't know why everyone on /k/ says this. Every nuke I know is happy with their job
>>
Any of you Royal Navy fucks down here in Kings Bay right now?
>>
>>33493734
Is sowt really really tough to make it into? Sounds like a neat job.
>>
>>33493898

Probably because people like us innafleet and onnaship talk and work with the reactor people. I hope you do well, but realizing these things ahead of time will help. These are the things no one in a training/recruiting command will tell you.

More red tape, more regulations, more bullshit, more duty, more hours along with more pay, bonuses, college credit, good advancement, and good commissioning opps through STA-21, though you are staying in nuke. they won't let you go intel, SWO, pilot/NFO etc.
>>
>>33480061
Why does the copy pasta for /meg/ threads always have links for SF?
>>
>>33490541
me, see you there faggot
>>
>>33493914
A contract for it no, they're always undermanned
Getting through the pipeline, yes
Same pipeline as cct so out of one hundred dudes 0-15 will graduate everything
Just don't be a faggot and quit
>>
>>33494176
What about TACP?
>>
>>33494176
I just looked up the req's for it...seems pretty physically tough.
>>
>>33494222
See>>33493201
And people think they're sec fo with their beret
>>
>>33494267
I can understand. By the way, why does sec fo get so much hate?
>>
>>33494312
They bring it upon themselves from what I've seen
Hur durr af grunt/infantry
Basically spec ops
Defendors!
In reality they check id's at the gate for 14 hour days
>>
>>33494160
what's your mos?
>>
Anyone shipping to Leonard Wood April 4?
>>
Is it a distant dream to join airforce sere as an aussie? whats the process for joining AF as a foreigner?
>>
>>33494333

Some of them literally are spec ops. DAGRE and CPET. When they aren't doing that they're base cops, which is weird as fuck.
>>
>>33494312

Security Forces gets all those special people who wanted to be grunts but got convinced by mommy that they should join the Air Force because they are "too smart" to be a soldier or a Marine. Except then they then get a bout of tiny dick syndrome and try to "make up for it" by choosing what they think is a high speed shooter job in the Air Force...but it's not.

They're desperate approval-seekers who don't realize that everyone would respect them 1000% more if they just picked a cushy Air Force job or an actual combat MOS instead of trying to have both.
>>
>>33494476

This so blatantly obvious when guys roll in here asking about high-speed Air Force jobs.

>I'm not going to fall for the Army meme, I know the Air Force is wassup! Fight smarter not harder, amirite? Anyways, how many optics will I be able to put on my rifle as Security Forces? I'm a really good shot but I want to start preparing for all the special ops I'm gonna do.
>>
>>33494312
Security Forces are such fucking faggots. Legitimately the only MOS that I actually have a problem with. They all think they're high speed and they fucking aren't.

They're the equivalent of rich kids who had to spend a week out in the woods on a camping trip and now go around telling everyone that they've been in the shit and know what's up.
>>
>>33494476
>>33494510
Boots can be insufferable yes, but security forces is a job that's going to exist.

So I don't really understand this sentiment:

> everyone would respect them 1000% more if they just picked a cushy Air Force job or an actual combat MOS instead of trying to have both.

No, no one is going to respect boots more. Because they're boots.

But security forces, military police, and CID are jobs that are going to exist no matter what. And they are needed jobs. There needs to be a guy pulling gate guard to control entry to the post, there needs to be a guy to ticket drunk driving boots and speeding CSMs, there needs to be someone to investigate criminal cases involving troops.
>>
>all the Air Force MP buttfrustration

Someone's mad.
>>
>>33493707
>The reason why someone said this is because this site is primarily used by Burgerlandians. And in the US military, outside of the Marine Corps because they have an official Marine Corps Martial Art with even a belt ranking system (while the Army system is called Modern Army Combatives Program and has a syllabus it's not really comparable in implementation), combatives instruction IS an additional duty.

I am aware. I posted this because someone claimed they were in the Marines in the last /meg/ -- was hoping for some insight. Hoping it isn't a deadend job, but that's what it feels like desu
>>
>Tfw enlisting sucks in my country
>Tfw family members who did conscription and friends who did active service all tell me how much it sucked
Is it autistic if i talk about financ when i go talk with a recruiter ?
Didn't want to waste a thread on a retard like me.
>>
>>33495932
i swear i'm not in high school anymore by the way
>>
Anyone here been through AF BMT recently? Apparently in the fall of last year they completely changed the packing list (as in, pretty much took everything off it), and I'm wondering if anyone who's gone through recently can tell me what they brought and whether it was too much or not enough and what was missing.
>>
>>33496104
In the process of joining AF. I go back to MEPS in 3 weeks for medical processing.
Asked my recruiter what the physical requirements are for entry in to BMT. He chuckled and said none as AF is more the nerdy part of the military. He then went on to say that there'll be more than enough training through boot but it's like going around a track for 30 minutes and some pushups.
>>
Why does everyone in this thread have such a hardon for infantrymen?
>>
>>33496473
Because if you ain't infantry you ain't shit. It's not that complicated.
>>
>>33494454
No, they have harder training but nowhere near spec ops level
>>
File: 1483644189887.png (107KB, 305x349px) Image search: [Google]
1483644189887.png
107KB, 305x349px
So is army paying people who are in DEP now or is that next year
>>
>>33496473
>>33496592
Because infantry people are brainwashed into thinking they're cool
In reality there the lowest form of shooter and expendable as fuck
Basically the high school jock who peaked in high school,now they spend their lives trying to make themselves relevant
>>
>>33496473
>basic of basic entry level job
>most likely to die
>the rest of the military that isn't inf, is focused on making sure these tards can do their jobs

Yeah, they get a blue chord, yeah their lives are 20x shittier than the rest of the military. It takes a certain amount of time in the service to realize that it makes no difference at all and you just gotta accept that the "grunt" stigma will always be there. It should be, they have their pride and we have ours. It's a job I wouldn't want to have, in that regard they have my respect. So if they say "fuck off pog" well whatever, i'm the asshole in the medevac bird coming to get your stupid ass. So really I couldn't care any less, just hope I don't have to see you again.
>>
Will we have another war soon or can I join without worrying my mommy
>>
>>33494454
This guy right here is why sec fo get hate
An advanced I'd checker claiming something they're not at all
>>
>>33496473
Infantry is full of the most filthy scum out there. In 2011 I enlisted at 18 and it was full of ghetto Mexicans, blacks, and white trash. I kept trying to tell myself that I was going to be a hero but I lost hope everytime I heard someone go "Yo nigga you gots them boots dirty an' shit." or a bunch of Spanish being thrown around.

Still got my education paid for so whatever.
>>
>>33496719
What branch were you in?
>>
>>33496745
Marines.
>>
>>33496754
I'm Hispanic and fluent in Spanish, but I'm not a mouth breather who listens to Narcoridos or reggeton. Would I find my niche among the other Messicans?
>>
>>33496834
Yes, they will try to speak Spanish to you. Too bad they are absolute trash.
The COs will be like fathers to you and treat you as if you were retarded (Not that it's much different for a white marine). Do yourself a favor and don't become a marine...or infantry. Choose a good MOS and use the benefits to your advantage.
I bet that the people I were with did one of three things: Became an NCO, became homeless, or became a meathead who raises a failed family.
>>
File: 1486403035372.png (53KB, 887x560px) Image search: [Google]
1486403035372.png
53KB, 887x560px
>>33496909
B-but I wanna be high speed...
>>
Just passed my officer board, should I marry my GF? She is wealthy so I'm not worried about her stealing my shit.
>>
>>33496998
>prenup
>PRENUP
>GET A FUCKING PRENUP YOU STUPID NIGGER
>>
>>33497029

Prenups only protect property you come into the marriage with. Dumbass privates marrying strippers don't have shit to their name when they get married.

After they get together and accrue shit, she gets half when they split. That usually means the house, car, military retirement, etc.
>>
I plan to enlist but I don't know what branch I want to go into. I have the Asvab scores to go into the navy as a nuclear engineer, but I also would like to work with tanks. I've talked with every recruiter in the area and I still can't decide. What do?
>>
>>33497203

> I have the Asvab scores to go into the navy as a nuclear engineer

No you don't. The Navy doesn't enlist nuclear engineers. Calling enlisted nukes "engineers" is recruiter bait. You're a blue-collar technician/maintainer on nuclear equipment, not some kind of white-collar engineer.

If you go tanker you'll probably get to play with tanks like once a month if you're lucky.
>>
>>33496998
do it brah

I want to become an officer in the Marines. I'm 23 and I have a lot of course work in front of me. I am going to step on the gas, but can their be delays when it comes to commissioning? I'm worried I'll do the degree, go to OCS and then turn 28 while waiting to become commissioned. Thoughts?
>>
>>33497384
Are you in the navy?
>>
Navy intel here, answering questions again like last thread.
>>
I have diagnosed depression (mainly Seasonal Affective), autism, ADHD, and I've been to 8 therapists in the past 3 years. Will any amount of in-demand skills overcome how much of a mental risk I am to the military?

Could I even get clearances if I wanted to become a civilian servant?
>>
>>33493508
>35 series
>go to wachuka and get raped or go to Monterey and get put in fox company and get raped harder
>>33482102
Be a linguist. They'll teach you Spanish at DLI and you'll get to kill brown people.
>>
>>33498003
Is it documented? If it's self diagnosed but not documented you'd probably make a good nuke.
>>
>>33498009
Yes, but only at my college (so not on my insurance). I'm about to graduate nursing school if that helps. I did well enough I could probably go into any graduate specialty (nurse prac., OT, PT, PA, etc.) other than med school.

I always hear how much of a hard-on the military has for educated medical personnel so I'm hoping that's worth something.
>>
>>33498003
If you tell them that shit you'll probably be disqualified. If you lie about that shit and they find out doing a TS check on you then you're fucked too. Probably shouldn't apply for a security clearance with something like that. Then again I don't want to serve with crazy people so you should probably stay out.
>>
>>33498055
What job are you trying to get
>>
>>33498133
Anything in the 66 (Army Nurse Corps) series since I already have the BSN for it.
>>
>>33498204
You should be fine I'd join the navy if you want to be medical though.
>>
>>33497970
What was the TS clearance process like. Also where you IS or CTx?
>>
>>33498004
Is fox really that bad?

t. Charlie masterrace.

BTW I've never seen any coast guard here unless they're disguised as navy or something.
>>
>>33497494
There can be delays.
Just step on the gas, get good grades, take summer classes if possible.
You definitely have enough time.
>>
File: 1486094284568.png (707KB, 688x608px) Image search: [Google]
1486094284568.png
707KB, 688x608px
Big question here. My mom was the type to constantly take me to the doctors when I was a kid to try and get me diagnosed with something. I made the mistake of telling my recruiter that I had been on medication for ADD when I was younger, however thankfully all I needed was my prescription history proving I hadn't been on the medication and a doctors note basically saying I don't have it.

However this is where the real issue comes up, after I had gotten all this paper work I decided to just shift through my prescription history pages and was met with a terrible realization. I saw my one time prescription for anti-psychotic medications when I was about 16 that I had totally forgotten about. Now I am afraid of bringing in my prescription history because I know he's going to look through it and see it.

I was debating on just removing the page from my papers and submitting it to my recruiter. Will this bite me in the ass in the future if I do?
>>
>>33498754
>Will this bite me in the ass in the future if I do?
No. Lie out your ass, anon.
>>
>>33498777
>>33498754
On second thought, just go to a different recruiter and don't fuck up this time.
If you give them some of your medical records, they might know where to look for the rest of it.
>>
>>33498847
That's probably what I am going to do. I planned on moving out of state while on my DEP, but now I am just probably going to go ahead and move then talk to a recruiter down there.
>>
>>33497494
>can their be delays when it comes to commissioning?

Nothing but delays. It's the government dude, get used to it. I'm applying for the army program to become a CID Special Agent and I'm 2 years into the process because of incompetent recruiters and civilian employees who don't give two fucks.

That said, don't worry about your age. You have time and worst case scenario you can get a waiver if your PFT is good enough
>>
>>33480061
I'm going to talk with the recruiter tomorrow to enter in the Spanish Army as a soldier. I would prefer to enter as an official because I have the qualifications, but there aren't places till some months, and I need to get out of my house ASAP because I have a crazy mother and a depressed father.
>>
I'm a 27 year old writer looking for one last adventure while I'm young enough to have it. I'm thinking about joining the Marines for one last hurrah. I took the practice ASVAB, rushed through it, got a 95 and will probably get a 99 when I slow down and take my time.

How much will I hate my life if I go in as an 03XX? Will I be accepted as a brother or singled out?
>>
>>33499064
honestly if you have even an inkling of intelligence you should stay away from the military. It's not going to be as exciting as what you think it will be. Even as a writer.

Your going to find yourself frustrated and pissed off being the smartest asshole in the room and no rank/grade to take charge of anything, while your leaders are probably just as stupid as the rest they just won the fight of attrition for rank.
>>
>>33499064
The unanimous consensus on this board is become a grunt, especially the Marines, during peacetime is terrible and you will be cleaning the deck and toilets during your tenure, and will have no marketable skills when you leave.
>>
>>33499064
Do you have a degree? Go officer. You're gonna be treated like a child if you enlist. You'll be sharing rooms with 19 year old shitheads for the next 4 years. You will likely not have much of an adventure at all.
>>
>>33499117
Everybody on this board always says "go officer" like it's that fucking easy. It drives me crazy. Officer selection for all branches can take several months at best and years at worst. It isn't something you waltz into. It takes a lot of time and dedication. There is a reason so many people with degrees enlist.
>>
>>33499096

So you're saying it will be an exercise in frustration?

>>33499098

I'd like to try for a VZ contract if possible, and if I don't make it I guess I plummet to grunt status or worse.

>>33499117

No, but I can get one with a handful more classes. Writing stories isn't degree dependent.
>>
>>33499128
No one says to go officer because it'll be easy, people say to go officer because you'll get better pay and be treated a lot better.
>>
>>33499451
My point is they say it like it's a viable alternative to going down, enlisting, and shipping in 30 days. Get selected and shipping for Marine OCS took me two years. It's not a viable option for a lot of people on here who aren't even sure about joining up in the first place.
>>
How competitive are commission for the AF? If I graduate with a BS in Econ from a top 50 public ivy with a moderate amount of extracurriculars and ~3.6 gpa, would I be competitive? How long would the process take from start to ship out? I'd like to end up in intelligence, would I be able to choose that as my my MOS or would I get stuck wherever they want me?
>>
>>33499472
This. I can't stand all the retards on here that just spam "go officer go officer go officer!11!!!"
>>
>>33499165
Yes, it is frustrating to explain simple concepts to your "peers" only to have a turd with more rank try to dispel logic caus "muh rank"
>>
>>33499682
This. Seriously, it's all about what you want to do.

I'm getting my 4 year and then enlisting. Why? Because Officer is an EXTREMELY stressful job with far more work. You get more freedom and better pay, yes, but you're also much more likely to die and the lives of others hang in your hands.
>>
>>33499128

This

I spent a year working my ass off trying to get into Marine OCS, and all i got was a middle finger over arbitrary bullshit. I looked into the Navy and Air force officer and got basically the same thing because i am not an academic.

There are a lot of barriers to entry to be an officer and people make it sound like all you need is a degree and you're set, its not that simple. You have to compete with stat padders, pt studs etc. and meet arbitrary standards for limited slots

Im at a dead end in my life right now, about ready to enlist in the Marines and go intel. Then maybe apply to be an officer later. If life is shit as enlisted so be it, it beats what i am doing now.
>>
>>33499128
>>33500051
>>33500082
>>33499682
All of these are 100% correct. I don't believe in fate or destiny or any of that hippie shit, but OCS is very much a game of luck or an absurd amount of patience. Even if you somehow manage to get into OCS, there's still a roughly 50% drop rate. People always love to say "You want to be the one giving orders, not taking them." You know what they call a leader who can't take orders? A fucking terrible leader. All of the Officers I've dealt with were prior enlisted guys and it showed. They've walked in those boots and they've been in the shit and they've been all the better for it.

When they say they want the best of the best, they MEAN that they want the best of the very best.
>>
>>33499571
USAF OTS is really competitive; I once spoke to the local guy in charge of it and he said they only have slots to TEST 6 people a month for the AFOQT, and he decides who is worth testing. Honestly it's the most high horse officer selection program you can be apart of.

They let you choose your job in advance, but Intelligence and OSI are some of the most requested non-pilot jobs.

>>33500290
For the record, I am not saying I'd rather be enlisted than an officer.
Personally, I was a USMC OCS non-grad due to injury, and am currently enlisting into the Army as a CID Agent because I want to do federal law enforcement. So while it's enlisted it still utilizes my bachelor's and I don't have to live in the fucking barracks. Plus I can apply to be a warrant in a few years.

But yeah, /meg/ oversimplifies the process on a daily basis and it's pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>33500082
Sorry man, I did the Marine OCS process for years and I know. Keeping up a 280~ PFT and not getting selected and having to keep it up until the next board is some of the most difficult shit you can do.

Selection aside, racial quotas at Marine OCS are glaringly obvious too. Minorities never get cut, no matter how much they fucking suck.
>>
>>33500082
>about ready to enlist in literally any other branch

FTFY
>>
>>33496104
I'm shipping to Lackland on Apr 25, pretty sure if you just follow the packing list the recruiter gives you you'll be set. There's also something I've heard about a "backpack initiative" where they give you a backpack with a bunch of shit in it, but I'm pretty foggy on the details. I'll see if I can get some info on it from my friend who just went through BMT.
>>
>>
I met with a marine recruiter yesterday, told him my parents were divorced and I sought some meh counseling
I didn't tell him about being sent to a hospital for one night, how fucked am I?
Assuming I never go for a high security clearance job
>>
>>33503050
Also I was just gassing up the Marine recruiter, I'm not really gonna join Marines, gonna go air force
>>
File: 1368478948460.png (312KB, 605x615px) Image search: [Google]
1368478948460.png
312KB, 605x615px
How bad is barracks housing in the Corps really? Is it just shitty for E-3s and below or do NCOs also hate it in the 'rax?
>>
>>33503405

NCOs generally don't have to deal with a roommate, but the barracks are garbage no matter how you slice it. It stings all the more knowing that Uncle Sam is giving you that barracks space instead of $1k - $2k tax free every month for housing.
>>
>>33504145
>NCOs generally don't have to deal with a roommate

That's a fucking lie if I've ever seen one.
>>
>>33498635
There were 2 at DLI when I went through. They look like janitors in their uniforms
>>
>>33498635
>Is fox really that bad?

>>33485590
>>33485637
>>33485703
>>
Guys, what POG roles are grunt-respectable enough that grunts won't bad-talk you, but are also cushy enough that grunts should actually be bad-talking you?
>>
>>33505659
Everybody who spergs about "wut will theeeee grunts think of meeeeee?????" sounds like a turbo bitch in these threads. Basing your choices off of what some guy who scored bottom of the barrel thinks of you is retarded.

The shittalking never stops either. If you go 11b, then an 11b who went to jump school will shit talk you. If you go 11b airborne, somebody who is at a more "elite" (in their mind) unit will shit talk you. There is never any winning with people who drank too much moto Kool Aid.
>>
>>33505754
>The shittalking never stops either.

This.

A POG will be called a POG.

An 11B/C without wings will be called a leg.

An 11B/C at an airborne will be shit talked by an 11B/C in 75th.

In between those there are 11B/Cs who will talk shit about soldiers in other units or talk shit about the units and how they're garbage.

Non combat arms MOS will also shit on each other.

That's because when you go through TRADOC you're being constantly told that you're the best of the best and that your MOS is the most crucial to the military remaining mission capable.
>>
>>33505821
You forgot:
>Five jump chump
>Slicksleeve
>Lel only a tab not a scroll
>Being soldier of the year/quarter
>Kek you tuck your pants into your boots instead of using a band

And if all else fails, pulling out pedantic regulations minutia and arguing for hours about some bullshit that nobody actually cares about just to prove you now more.
>>
Would it be inconsiderate of me to enlist for an armored role if I have a flatulence problem?
>>
>>33493201
>but you'll most likely get ranger tab
only if your stationed at Benning
>>
>>33505882
No, your mates might hate you for the gas but you'll build up their immunity incase of a chemical attack.
>>
I've been trying to lose weight and get in shape for a while but am still not at a point where i meet the requirments
Is it a waste of time to talk to a recruiter?
Thinking of going navy
>>
>>33496754
>>33496909

Ey Marine dude, got any insight on becoming an MCMAP instructor (or know anyone who does)?

See >>33488948
>>
>>33493552
idk anon
robbing a liquor store is kinda risky
>>
>>33507420
Lel valid point
>>
Does anyone know anything about The combat correspondent MOS? I've been doing photo and video news for about 5 years now and it sounds like a good mix of shit I want to do and shit I'm good at.
>>
>>33507010
No. Worst thing that could happen is that they'll ask about your weight and if you don't meet the requirements they'll tell you to come back when you've lost that weight.
>>
Some doctor proscribed me pills for depression when i was a teenager, it was a one time thing, never took the pills nor have had any issues, its something i forget even happened but seeing other guys talk about it in this thread made me think.

Do i need to declare that shit? That i got a one time prescription for some happy pills when i was 16?
>>
>Trump wants to increase military budget by 50 billion
Are we going to war?
>>
>>33496104
I finished basic a couple weeks ago. You really don't need to bring much, a pair of pants, shorts, some t shirts is really all you need.
>>
>>33508124
Before economic collapse and the dangers that come with it, there are a couple main things that you should be putting all your money toward. Infrastructure & Military.
>>
>>33508088
is it written down on a form somewhere in your medical records? if no then say nothing.
>>
>>33507122
Kek MAI isn't a primary MOS. Except for very few billets, it's only a side job. The few exceptions I can think of might be the MAIs at boot camp, but I'm not even sure about that. It's like 0918, most of the time it's a side job, but the only exception I know of is at MCAS Cherry Point where we've got permanent instructors.
>>
>>33508124
>>Trump wants to increase military budget by 50 billion
>Are we going to war?
No.

Military spending is the Republican form of welfare spending. The welfare queen meme is still repeated by literal retards, but it's how the Republican party views it.
>>
>>33508272
MOS 0916 and 0917 is literally called MAI, my friend. Does the MOS not refer to a full-time specialty? I assume you don't know anything about pay/rank progression, then?
>>
>>33508218
I havent checked nor even seen my medical records, so im gonna just go with no. If they were, what would happen? It would have been a decade ago. It seems like such a small petty thing. Theyll diagnose you with any thing to shill drugs these days.
>>
File: 1490977436029.jpg (9KB, 189x292px) Image search: [Google]
1490977436029.jpg
9KB, 189x292px
>>33508336
>not knowing the difference between a PMOS and FMOS

pic related
>>
>>33508369
if they find out you lied youre going to assrape, kansas
better check with your doc to be sure
>>
>>33508336
>MOS 0916 and 0917 is literally called MAI, my friend.

Yes

>Does the MOS not refer to a full-time specialty?

I'm not sure how many times I have to say it's only a side job, but I hope you'll figure it out at some point.

>I assume you don't know anything about pay/rank progression, then?

What pay/rank progression?
>>
>>33508386
Like I mentioned in a previous post, non-US. Looked up MOS so more people can relate. Was hoping for insight/advice for MAIs in the military.
>>
>>33508446
Sounds like im fucked tbqh, peacetime might make it worse too
>>
>>33508843
Are you going for a TS or something? Otherwise they won't bother looking around for things like that.
>>
>>33508873
No but if they ask, and im sure they will im the process, i wont lie.
>>
>>33508920
Then you're not getting in
lie bitch
>>
>>33492584
If you're pissed that I didn't capitalise the word guard I don't give a shit.
>>
>>33507775
Call a recruiter
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.