[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cleaning Cosmoline

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: cosmo1.jpg (251KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
cosmo1.jpg
251KB, 800x533px
So I just bought a Makarov from SOG. What is the best way to clean it of cosmoline? I've heard that mineral spirits or hot water works well, but I don;t want to fuck up the blueing on it. Tips?
Also, to anyone else who bought a Mak from SOG: does it come with the black target grips as well as the bakelite grips?
>>
>>33478174
Leave it in the sun. Wait. Wipe down.
>>
Mineral spirits for the metal parts, leave it in the sun for the wood parts.
>>
Get you a hand steamer, blast steam on each part and then the shit just wipes off with a paper towel
>>
Boil metal parts in water in a pot you won't use for food.
>>
>>33478187
>wood parts
>mak
>>
Trichloroethane or carbon tetrachloride
>>
>>33478220
I have a steam iron
I-is that good enough?
>>33478223
A bit hesitant to boil the metal parts because of the retard who boiled his makarov and had all the bluing just get utterly obliterated
>>
>>33478174
I used diesel, worked breddy güd
>>
Breakfree clp somewhat works. It doesnt dissolve it or melt it off like boiling or mineral spirits, it just softens the hard waxy shit into a goey shit that you can wipe off. Other methods are better but if you dont want to go to the store for minerals spirits, clp will work.
>>
Hot water and dish soap
>>
I haven't bought anything that I've had to clean cosmoline out of (yet), but I have access to a big ultrasonic cleaner, would that work?
>>
>>33478174
Paint remover instantly cuts the shit off metal
>>
>>33478256
>>33478321
>>33478187
so a solvent like mineral spirits or paint remover would get it off? I'm just really worried about the bluing, don't want to mess it up in any way.
and should i go farther than a basic field strip, or just do the field strip and chuck the whole thing in?
>>
>>33478252
Just use plain clean water. Boiling water will not harm gun blue.

Don't make Makarov Stew, don't use Vinegar, etc.
>>
>>33478336
I tested paint removed on blued parts before using it en force. No effect
>>
>>33478336
Nigga its a cheap ass mak, just gently rub and the blueing wont come off
>>
>>33478313
Yes, use hot water and some ultrasonic cleaning solution and it'll melt off like magic. Might want to wipe the parts down off afterwards with another cleaner too.
>>
>disassemble
>brush parts with paint remover
>rinse with hot water
>place in bath of hot water and ballistol
>detail
>air dry
>reassemble
That's how we do in muh crib
>>
I got an M48 from AIM a few months ago, and I used unleaded gasoline to clean the metal parts. All the cosmoline pretty much fell off after about 20 seconds depending on the thickness.
>>
File: 20151008_185331.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151008_185331.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>33478936
This is what I use.
Or kerosene, whichever I have more of in my garage at the time.

A roll of Scott blue shop towels, nitrile gloves, and an aluminum turkey pan are good to have as well.
Also a small nylon bristle brush and qtips for getting in crevasses.
>>
>>33478174
hair drier/heat gun and lots of rags.
>>
>>33478220
what the fuck is a hand steamer?
>>
>>33478243
Toxic to breathe. .
>>
>>33478174
Small parts can be boiled then cleaned and oiled. Wood can be left in the sun and wiped down, everything else can be solved with a bathtub filled with simple green.

No I'm not joking. You're welcome OP.
>>
File: 7060040_crc_05084_pri_larg.jpg (18KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
7060040_crc_05084_pri_larg.jpg
18KB, 450x450px
Steamer is the best, but who has a fucking steamer.

Go to Autozone or WallyWhirl. Get about 4 cans of this shit, should be $8.

Blast.

Done.
>>
>>33478174
Hot water , dawn and hoppes 9. Wash well and wipe down.
>>
Pour kettles of boiling water on it over and over
>>
Just take the grips off and boil it
>>
>>33478174
I used a bottled de-greaser spray on my mosin. On my mak, I really just wiped the excess (it was only on the recoil spring).
>>
>>33479591
This. Its exactly how I cleaned my nugget and I didn't get any cosmoline leaking out when I shot it.
>>
>>33479403
He probably meant a steamer that is used by hand
>>
>>33478174
Brake cleaner actually works really well on cosmoline, but make sure you use non-chlorinated if you use that method
>>
>>33480387
>use non-chlorinated

Any reason excpet toxicity and smell?
>>
>>33480646
Honestly not sure, that's the advice I got a while back, and since non-chlorinated is pretty much just as common as chlorinated I figure there's no reason not to go for it.
Maybe chlorine messes with the finish or something
>>
>>33478174
For wood? Slow heat, For metal? Just run it under a hot tap, itll melt right off.
>>
File: wut.jpg (73KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
73KB, 1200x1200px
>>33480121
???
>>
File: steamer.jpg (29KB, 308x320px) Image search: [Google]
steamer.jpg
29KB, 308x320px
>>33481165
People steam clothes to get wrinkles out. Professionals use large tables that put out a ton of steam to get the whole garment at once. Most people just use something like pic related.
Apparently they work for cleaning guns too.
>>
>>33481204
OK. I just use a hair dryer or paint stripper anyways.
>>
>>33481204
I have a steam iron. Would that work?
>>
>>33481802
Probably. Never tried a steamer myself.
>>
>>33478174
Nut on it
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.