[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MREs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 20

File: menu-c-case6.jpg (86KB, 1024x673px) Image search: [Google]
menu-c-case6.jpg
86KB, 1024x673px
Just ordered a case of MREs for when I go camping or hunting next. What does /k/ think is the best meal?
>>
>>33476558
Chilli Mac, BBQ flavored rib shapped pork patty, chicken with feta and tomatoes, beef stew, and beef brisket were all pretty good. The only ones I really hated were the cheese tortillini (same texture and taste as rubber gaskets) and the chicken breast fillet.
>>
>>33476558
Meatballs in Marinara Sauce. Toss a little tabasco or bbq sauce in there and you've got yourself a good time.
>>
>>33476558
Veggie Omelette.
>>
Ravioli or this

>>33477519

Pretty sure that one comes with garlic bread.
>>
>>33477541
haha! classic meme good sir xD
>>
Chicken Tetrazzini is GOAT
>>
>>33477541

If you can finish the whole entree in one sitting, you're granted a super power of your choosing.
>>
The best meal used to be Chicken and Dumplings, but they axed that.

I'd say good options are:
Chicken with Feta and Tomatoes
Chicken Pesto Pasta*
Cheese Tortellini
Chicken with Noodles*
Chili with Beans*

* indicates meals that are better heated

Never got the chili mac memes. It was okay.

Out of those, I'd say that Pesto is my favorite. Not many people give it a chance, but if you heat it up it's amazing.
>>
>>33476558

Southwest beef and black beans is god-tier.

Chili mac and Asian-style beef strips are a distant second and third respectively.
>>
File: 1490367794647.jpg (138KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1490367794647.jpg
138KB, 400x400px
>>33476558
>What does /k/ think is the best meal?
The one where you sell that to some prepper on eBay and then buy Mountain House like a normal human.
>>
Chili mac

double heated

hot suace

crunched up crackers mixed in with it
>>
Cheese Tortellini is the best, IMO. Chili mac is a close second.
>>
>>33477541
I actually liked the omelet, Tobasco made it alright. I think more people like it than let on because it's a irl meme to hate on it.

Anyway, anything with peanut butter m&m's, or any candy really, except Charms. Charms have no taste and are a shit.
>>
>>33477553
I chose explosive diarrhea.
>>
Not the breakfast ones
>>
>>33476590
Fpbp
>>
>>33476558
Where did you buy them OP?
I like to have some MREs around for occasional outings but seems like they're kinda of pricey nowadays
>>
>>33477873
If you know anyone in the military them sell them in the commissary.
>>
File: WDYTWA.png (225KB, 461x614px) Image search: [Google]
WDYTWA.png
225KB, 461x614px
Everyone seemed to like Chili Mac.
I've got a pretty decent story about it, too.

>be me
>in Oman
>Platoon Sergeant calls everyone together, says we're going to have a quick class before chow up on a hill
>assigns me to stand watch over their gear
>friend of mine puts his gear down and places a Chili Mac MRE on top of his plate carrier
>I grab my shit and start patrolling around the gear/trucks
>time goes by
>1stSgt and CO walking towards me, shooting the shit
>"Good morning, gentlemen." etc. etc.
>They're still talking
>Suddenly CO spots the Chili Mac and says "Hey, 1stSgt. I bet you can't chop that MRE in half with one swing of an E-tool."
>"You're on."
>Motherfucker grabs an E-tool and comes back
>Takes careful aim
>Swings, but doesn't quite make it all the way through
>"Fuck me."
>finishes chopping it in half
>walk away
>class gets over
>friend comes back down the hill
>spots his Chili Mac and falls to his knees
>"Why? Why? There is no God."
>mfw he doesn't believe me when I tell him what happened
>>
IMO, all the pasta ones are really good. Raviolli is my favorite
>>
>>33476558
Congratulations op on buying a decade expired mre case. They're going to be all oily and moldy inside.

Those flavors haven't been I production for years.
>>
>>33477961
>1stSgt alignment: Chaotic Evil
>>
>>33478018
There's also a date stamp on the box desu
>>
>>33478018
That's just a Google image, you fuckwit.

I often worry that the people posting on this board may actually handle firearms from time to time.
>>
Chicken pesto pasta is one of my favorites.
Vegetarian ones have more sweets.
Pork sausage is just disappointingly small.
>>
>>33476558
British MREs arent as exotic sadly.
Best one has to be sausage and beans, followed by the chocolate and raspberry flapjack desert.

The chicken and veg biryani is basically a bag of chickpeas, and the chicken and veg soup is a literal bag of vomit, or at least will be once youve taken a spoonful.
>>
>>33477639
This. Mountain house has excellent beef stroganoff and breakfast skillet. I have those 2 single packets on my Amazon monthly delivery. Last 25 years, so yeah. enjoy basic MREs.
>>
My favorite was always the beef brisket and garlic mashed potatoes. shit was better than the food my drunk ass father used to make, and that's saying something. that crazy bastard could be a bottle and a half of Burnett's cherry deep, be absolutely blackout trashed and still cook a 3 course meal. Caesar salad, braised pork loin with mashed potatoes and a banana split cake for dessert, then he would proceed to vomit all over his bedspread, sleep in it, and be ready for work at 5 AM every morning. RIP you wonderful son of a bitch
>>
>>33477639

Not op, never heard of Mountain House. Thanks!
>>
>>33478300
Trick is to get the buckets for cheaper. Then the 72 hour pack. Try said 72 hour pack. then extra packets that you enjoyed. The bigger cans are all well and good but wasteful if just 1-2 eating.

Powdered Milk, Butter & Egg cans with 25 years shelf life is also suggested. Dont buy a ton right away, space it. 1 can of each every 6 months or year. Same with the Mountain House packets. Take it slow, budget it. You'll need monies for water, pocket stove and fuel, ammo and UV-5R radios.
>>
>>33478300

There are alternative brands for freeze dried - like alpine aire, backpacker's pantry, auguson farms, good to-go.

I picked up some samples of each (in addition to a meal kit supply box of MREs, some mre sandwiches and heaters from epicenter).

Haven't tried any of it yet so I can't tell you if the alternatives are any good. Mountain House is awesome, though.

My other go-to is that there's retort pouches of indian food available, e.g. a pouch of rice and a pouch of lentil curry... one brand is Tasty Bite.

Looking forward to hunting season, is all I'm sayin'
>>
Maple
PORK
A
T
T
Y
>>
>>33476558
Chili Mac w/ Jalapeno cheese melted in

OR

Meatloaf w/ Brown Onion Gravy

OR

Potato and Bacon Soup w/ Jalapeno Cheese melted in and a mini tobasco bottle to top it off.
>>
>>33477873
You can get them in bulk on eBay for about 5 dollars a meal. Or go to a surplus store.
>>
>>33476558
Everything I'd delicious except the Asian beef strips. That shit is nasty.
>>
>>33476558
southwest beef and beans or something like that
it has all the good shit except pound cake, but s'more pop tarts are cool
>>
>>33478554
>adding the cheese
mah nigga
>>
>>33477639
Just make sure you drink a fuck ton of water when eating them. They are full of salt and can make you feel like vomiting.
>>
>>33476558
I like the Long Range Patrol Rations
>>
File: C-F-chart.jpg (16KB, 666x197px) Image search: [Google]
C-F-chart.jpg
16KB, 666x197px
>>33476558
why
>>
>>33476558
My favorite so far is the beef stew one.
>>
>>33476558
Do MRE's have any viable non-combat use?
The only thing I can think of is that they don't require water, and are high in calories.

But as far as I can tell freeze dried food and emergency ration bars are a better fit for emergencies and prepping.

Am I missing something, or is it just the napoleon 'meme'.
>>
File: dYvhHbl.jpg (25KB, 457x480px) Image search: [Google]
dYvhHbl.jpg
25KB, 457x480px
>>33478300
You're welcome, anon.
>>
Any other weirdos here like the cheese. Love this shit. It's salty yummy crap
>>
>>33476558
VEGGIE BURGER

Have to use only one snackbread because its really dry.
>>
>>33481142
I mean they are food sort of so yeah you can use them for "prepping" or hunting/camping or whatever. But the civilian stuff is going to be superior tasting.

I think people just buy it because it's "muh cool milspec" stuff. Same reason people buy milsurp backpacking gear instead of something from Kelty.
>>
File: 018.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
018.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>33478236
are you me?
>>
>>33476590
>>33477519
These and cheese tortollinis!
>>
>>33481142
you need liquid of some type to make the hot portion of them
>>
>>33481142
>>33481199
Yes, I keep some at my cabin so when I go up I have emergency food if need arises. 25 year shelf life in best of conditions makes it a worthwhile investment. Just add hot water. While it is near a lake to fish on, you want more than fish.
>>
>>33481210
>you need liquid of some type to make the hot portion of them
Not how chemistry works.
Also my point was that you don't need any water to eat an entire MRE. Yeah, water lets you drink your drink instead of eating it and it lets you have hot food, but it isn't necessary.
>>
>>33477553
>>33477849
Stretched out anus from brick shitting
>>
>>33477541
You mean fetus?
>>
>>33481229
You can crunch on freezedried MREs, if you dont have potable water you have more important things than food.
>>
>>33481210
>you need liquid of some type to make the hot portion of them

You know you can piss in an MRE Heater and save your water.
>>
>>33476590
/thread

other than the beef brisket, ive had some thats terrible. but yeah

OH AND ANY ONE THAT HAS JALAPENO SPREAD IN IT

seriously, why are they not in every single one?
>>
File: lust.gif (1003KB, 480x418px) Image search: [Google]
lust.gif
1003KB, 480x418px
>>33481172
oh das it mane

DAS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>33481281
Hmm, and the warmth of your urine would lead to better chemical activation. You're on to something here.
>>
File: Image1.png (1MB, 720x669px) Image search: [Google]
Image1.png
1MB, 720x669px
>>33481281
>>
>>33481275
>freezedried MRE
You mean long range patrol rations? Because those aren't MRE's.
You know, because they aren't ready to eat...
>>
File: Mountain house yum sluts.png (1MB, 1427x644px) Image search: [Google]
Mountain house yum sluts.png
1MB, 1427x644px
>>33481202
*fist bump*
>>
File: vommit38.gif (2MB, 230x201px) Image search: [Google]
vommit38.gif
2MB, 230x201px
>>33477541
I took one bite once, it was like eating a turd pancake out of a range toilet
>>
>>33481352
Those are made by mountain house but they seem to have more meat than the mountain house meals. I've had those, they pretty good
https://youtu.be/PtLR-Ow7qFY
>>
File: vomit.gif (383KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
vomit.gif
383KB, 280x210px
>>33481172
pervert
>>
>>33481387

Gotta douse it in Tabasco and keep your eyes closed while you eat it.

IMHO the MRE omelet is an order of magnitude more edible than the old T-ration omelet.
>>
File: 1487042206712.jpg (23KB, 336x330px) Image search: [Google]
1487042206712.jpg
23KB, 336x330px
>ctrl+f
>mexican style chicken stew
>zero results
>mfw

GOAT MRE

Heat the stew and rice until they're both piping hot, mix together in one packet, add Tapatio.

You can either melt the jalapeño cheese with it and mix it it with the crumbled veggie crackers, but making that shit into a sandwich on the side is wayyyy better imo.

Oh, and it comes with Reese''s Pieces
>>
>>33481578
>>mexican style chicken stew
>>
>>33476558
>not eating glorious french RCIRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYUpUOThRgY
>>
>>33476558
Chili mac, tortellini, all the processed meat bricks(though enjoy shitting them out) were the best imo. The worst was the omlette and fucking tuna tortilla's. Saddest excuse for food, especially if you're burning a shit ton of calories a day.
>>33481172
Loved cheese spread. I hunted down MRE's for it. The version with Jalepeno was my morale booster.
>>
>using MREs as a camping food

Dude... Buy a few pounds of hard cheddar, a few tubes of pepperoni, and a couple 4 pack boxes of saltines.

It'll stay edible and eating the same thing over and over will drive you to hunt and fish for dietary variety.
>>
>>33482092
>poaching
I hope you get raped in the pen
>>
>>33476558
Veggie omlette kek
>>
>>33476590
Anon r u saying youve eaten rubber gaskets?
>>
>>33482092
>taking saltines camping/hiking/hunting

Yea you've never left your fucking moms basement
>>
>>33482538
Not him but I used to chew on them as a kid and I can assure you cheese torts weren't that bad.

Also I am really craving the squeek of rubber gaskets in between my teeth now.
>>
>>33476558
Chili mac is overrated

Its all about >>33477519 or jalapeno pepperjack beef patty

>>33481210
>taking the time to heat them up
>>
>>33482092
I want you to know you are dumb.
>>
just eat human food instead
>>
>>33477961
fuck that's funny. Saver for future generations anon
>>
>>33476558
Any of the stew types or chili mac with the cracker crushed up in it, with the cheese or peanut butter added, and the hotsauce. It doesnt sound good but it is, i dont know why.
>>
File: Chili_Mac.png (82KB, 1012x616px) Image search: [Google]
Chili_Mac.png
82KB, 1012x616px
>>33477961
>>33482600
Here's shitty crop. Drunk on hoppyum anon out
>>
>>33482616
>im not the only one who did this
I also don't know why it's good.
It really shouldnt be.
>>
>>33482616
>>33482644
MRE peanut spread isnt sweetened so its pretty much making a kind of peanut stew, which westsrners might mot really have experianced but is very common jn south east asia.

Ive never tried this though, definitly will
>>
Every time I look up prepper meals they are all loaded with salt.
How the hell does anyone manage to get their nutritional balance settled?
Are survivors doomed to have acid reflux?
>>
>>33482918
Sodium RDAs are complete memes that are pushed so companies can at least claim they tried to stop the dipshit with genetic high blood pressure from killing himself with a potato chip.

You are far more likley to have problems from too little salt than too much in a survival situation.
>>
>>33482918
>>33483004
You misunderstand food balance. Acid reflux is often caused by gut rot from soda for men 16-50 just saying (no I dont have a source, just through family history). Others it is based of tomato based foods(family history).

These salty MREs are used in situations that are based on the lack of bad additives or over eating and more water consumption. less soda, less coffee, less everything. Salt is not bad. In fact it is required in most diets.
>>
>>33476558
No.17 maple flavored pork patty with the maple muffin top. Fuck I've been out for 3 years and I want one right now.
>>
>>33476558
I like the meatloaf one for some reason even though it's basically dog food and the "goodies" are like some peanuts and green drink.

Overall chicken enchilada is the best, as I recall, for having delicious tortilla, decent meat entree, and a bunch of excellent extras like dairy drink mixer and crackers.

I never understood the chilimac memes, I thought it was pretty bad even for an MRE.
>>
>>33481172
Did anyone else ever think their pee smelled like cheese spread during a field op?
>>
>>33482410

>surviving
>being illegal

U wot? You're not going to a penitentiary for taking a few fish, a hog, or a deer. You're just trying to eat and survive. Besides, the licensing is affordable enough to people that can afford to feed their guns and buy MREs. Plus deer, hogs, and tons of fish are pests or invasive species. Deer around here use towns as sanctuaries and its ridiculous.

>>33482560

Dude saltines are the closest thing to hard tack you can buy unless you live in Alaska. The salt is good for you, you'll be sweating. The dryness will encourage you to stay properly hydrated as well. I defy you to eat a few crackers and honestly say you don't feel like drinking some water.

>>33482578

Aren't we all? But I'm not dumb enough to dump a hundred bucks on a handful of MREs.
>>
>>33482918
1. It's a cheap, widely available electrolyte that just so happens to double as a preservative and taste good in basically everything.
2. None of the survival foods are designed for extended-duration consumption (5+ years straight), and even if you DID have to rely on them for more than a year you'd have so many other health problems from THE FUCKING WORLD ENDING that hardened arteries are the least of your concern
3. During periods of high exertion you need shitloads more electrolytes than the RDA could provide, you will NOT have a salt excess in TEOTWAKI

An illustration of the latter is my deployments to Iraq. I lived on MRE's, which have something along the lines of 14x the RDA of sodium if you're actually eating 3 a day. I was still having to use the eletrolyte drink mixes multiple times a day AND take sodium tablets AND literally eat spoonfuls of salt to keep enough electrolytes in me because I was having to drink 3-4 gallons of water a day. Everything I owned was covered in salt stains, and by the end of the deployment you could literally scrape a quarter-inch thick layer of crystallized sweat-salt off the inside of my IBA.
>>
>>33481389
Why don't they sell patrol rations commercially? (they being mountain house)
>>
>>33483252
Dude if you're actually trying to travel with saltines you'll end up with salty wheat powder in the bottom of the sleeve by about step 8.
>>
>>33483315
>wheat powder
I believe that is called flour
>>
>>33483308
The ones the sell now are good enough and the amount they can charge for the LRP wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Have been heavily considering a home freeze dryer but I can't really justify it when I already have a couple hundred sunk into pressure canning...
>>
Stay away from the Asian style beef strips
>>
>>33483361
Nah. Flour has usable, beneficial properties. Crushed up Saltines don't.
>>
>>33476558
Maple sausage best breakfast meal.
>>
>>33483372
>when I already have a couple hundred sunk into pressure canning...
How many fucking mason jars did you buy?
>>
>>33483379
I'm seeing a lot of entrees I don't recognize, did they roll out a bunch of new items in the last couple years?
>>
>>33483391
You can make bread from stale bread, I don't see why you couldn't make saltines from saltine powder.
>>
>>33483413
Saltines are a shortbread. They contain no leavening, and the majority of the gluten has been used.

You could, I suppose, re-bake it without adding any ingredients other than water, but you'd just end up with a slightly burnt, more likely to crumble saltine. You can't make a loaf of bread out of it, you couldn't make a pita out of it, hell you couldn't even make a matzo out of it.
>>
>>33483413
I opened a Wheat Snack Bread once. Shit was black and green and crumbling...not all bread can be saved.

>>33483379
This isn't too bad if you heat it up. OP is a civvie, so he'll have time to do it.
>>
>>33483455
>Shit was black and green and crumbling...not all bread can be saved.
true, but rotten =/= stale.
I would hope that the package was compromised, if not they fucked up bad.
>>
File: reaction264.gif (377KB, 702x496px) Image search: [Google]
reaction264.gif
377KB, 702x496px
>>33477553
Ha, by that definition I should be a god. I enjoy eating MRE's
>>
>>33483452
>You can't make a loaf of bread out of it, you couldn't make a pita out of it, hell you couldn't even make a matzo out of it.
stay with me here:
Yeast don't like excessive salt. So you mix excessive water into the saltine powder. After letting it settle, you remove the excess water removing alot of salt.
Then you make a sourdought starter.
Then you make sourdough.

See, anon >>33482092 isn't completely retarded.
>>
>>33483547
There is no yeast to start with, so...good luck with that.

Do you even know what a shortbread or leavening are?
>>
>>33483397
300 for the All American Gasketless pressure canner I splurged on, 200 for five smaller pressure and waterbath cookers if you count replacement parts, 200 for for 1000 lids and I'm almost out and another 300ish for a fuckton of jars I hunt around flea markets and garage sales for, probably have at least 400 jars.

Granted this is for pretty much my entire extended family to use so I might have acess to a fraction at a time and most of it I'm kind of reinbursed for via home canned veggies and fruit and money for consumables like lids.

A home freeze drier would drive my madness further.
>>
I've never eaten an MRE

This fact hurts me
>>
>>33483563
>There is no yeast to start with
You do know what a sourdough starter is, right?

It's literally just wild yeast from the air.
>>
>>33483593
Then go buy some.

Or if you don't wanna drop the cash, eat some cat food with a plastic spoon.
>>
>>33483612
Yeah...by the time you accumulate enough "wild yeast" into your saltine-mush you could've literally fabricated baking powder from scratch, built a stacked-stone oven, and banked several years' worth of acorn flour.

Or you could've simply made more slightly-shittier saltines.
>>
>>33483648
I'm too poor
>>
>>33483653
Oh, and this is assuming your saltine-mush doesn't rot, grow mold, or get eaten by vermin since you have to leave it out and exposed to air.
>>
>>33483593
I'll let you eat one of mine for free if you think you can get here. East NC. I love the things and try to get them when they're for a good price
>>
>>33483678
I live in East NC
>>
>>33483690
Sweet, Lejeune AFB?
>>
>>33483696
Lejeune isn't an AFB
>>
>>33483593
They were all I had to eat after katrina destroyed my town in 05. They aren't that great. For the money you'do be better served buidling your own bug out food.

I
>>
>>33483653
>>33483662
Stop crushing my dreams.

>you could've literally fabricated baking powder from scratch
Also ?
>>
>>33483704
I meant lejeune or the AFB.
>>
>>33483753
Oh, Jacksonville. If I was on Lejeune, chances are I'd have eaten at least one MRE by now.
>>
>>33483361
It would a mixture of bleached flour, yeast and baking soda.
>>
>>33483713
How to make baking powder:
>find mineral spring
>get a shitload of water from it
>evaporate it all by boiling
>scrape powdery white residue from vessel, this is nahcolite (naturally occurring sodium bicarbonate, AKA baking soda)
>get big bucket of piss
>evaporate by boiling
>scrape piss-crystals off vessel
>this is a combination of sodium and ureic acid (plus a few trace other compounds, none harmful), and after boiling will be sterile
>mix baking soda and piss cyrstals together to obtain (a ghetto form of) baking powder
>(optional) stabilize by mixing dry powdered starch (potato starch or cornstarch)
>>
>>33483765
Yeah, the supply is running low though. I'm having issues finding cases now for below $30 when I used to get them for $20. Now I'm just hoping another marine discovers they have a box that they took off the base and sell it
>>
>>33483811
The piss-crystals can also be substituted for pretty much any other powdered acidic compound that will dissolve in water. Salt is not necessary for the creation of baking powder.
>>
>>33483811
Or just incorperate vinegar or another acid like a normal fucking person.
>>
>>33483879
That defeats the purpose of baking soda though.
>>
>>33482918

Salt is a preservative. Prepper food is meant to last years.

That's why.

Also if SHTF you'll be sweating a lot and you'll need that salt excess.

Go spend a day or three hiking in the middle of summer and eating/drinking things with NO salt in them.

You'll understand why too much salt is usually better than not enough salt.

I've gotten weak and dizzy just after one say of no sodium walking around San Antonio in the hottest month.
>>
>>33483569
> All American Gasketless pressure canner

You may be able to pressure-fry chicken. That's the secret of all those commercial fried chicken places.

I feel you on the food preservation madness.

I'm going to make it worse:

The brand of home freeze drier I was looking at can double as a vacuum chamber sealer (something like $200 for a sealer bar attachment).

Seal mylar-laminated pouch of wet food -> pressure canner.

You have just retort canned fresh food (like an MRE). Won't last as long without all the preservatives I'd wager, but still amazing.

Typing this up has got my nipples all hard.

You have just retort
>>
>>33484744
>pressure frying
Ive considered it but I dont think it would be quite worth the trouble for that, just marinating and frying normally gets me better than any restaurant I went to

Retort preservation is something that has intrested me though canning food in tins would be a more logical investment for me.

I think the main preservitive is salt in MREs unless youre talking about things like bread.
>>
has anyone ever tried these before i been seeing them pop up

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultimate-Survival-Technologies-5-Year-Emergency-Food-Ration-Bar/122858544
>>
American MRE's are complete trash dog food.

Swedish,Russian, or chinese are the best.

you get the most food with Chinese
>>
>>33485012
>only 5 year shelf life
Why not canned fruit/meat and bags of flour?
>>
>>33485012

For what purpose?

>Not dying when you're stranded in a lifeboat
fine.

>Camping, hunting, fighting a civil war
Probably not fine.

True of any of the similar products available.
>>
>>33481142
Probably, if you know how to turn mre into a decent meal(beyond using ration heater)

Sometimes.I took an mre (like chicken pasta), put it on pan and add other ingredients like frozen peas, chopped sausages and onions before lightly frying. Be careful with the heat tho since it's already a cooked meal so it's easy to overcook it
>>
>>33478550
Fucking this.
Holy shit.
>>
>>33483379
Eating it cold? Yes fuck that shit

Heating it? It's passable

Light stir fry with broccoli and generous amount of carrots, onion and ginger? Shit's dope mang
>>
>>33481142
We love them for tailgate picnics, particularly on a long vacation or when coming back to the parking lot after a long day hike.

Being able to have hot meals with no muss, no fuss, and no fiddling with a camp stove (especially in parks under fire hazard restrictions) is really nice.

For bugging in or out, yeah, there are cheaper (and sometimes healthier) ways to get the job done.
>>
>>33481172
>Cheese
>Jalapeno Cheese
>Peanut butter
>cinnamon pop tarts

Who needs entrees?
>>
>>33483593
Got some from my slightly deranged (but otherwise cool) uncle. Dad called him to look after me while I'm at college (kinda near Forest Grove NG base) and he went to my place with MREs and 200 bucks
>>
>>33481122

32F is regarded as a "deep chill", 0F is a "deep freeze".

Not handling it roughly has to do with the formation of microscopic ice crystals which in turn affect rigidity of the cellular matter that comprise the food, as well as the likelihood of the mylar packaging rupturing.
>>
>>33483569
>Gasketless
Does that mean it'll work for decades without replacement parts (e.g., gaskets, of course)?

I've been using a cheap Pesto for 5 years, haven't had to replace the gasket yet... but, a canner that lasts indefinitely with no parts is intriguing.

What's your favorite thing to can?
>>
Mountain House Breakfast Skillet
>>
>>33485463
As long as you dont fuck up the sealing surfaces by letting them oxidize too much or scratch them it lasts pretty much indefinitely.

To be honest gaskets are pretty cheap and last years anyway, me buying it was mainly a drunk ebay purchase

The gauge and emergancy release valve need servicing occasionally but as long as your jiggler works you can get by.

I like to can chili because thats pretty much the only thing I can make out of wild hog meat after cooking and then boiling the shit out of it to kill any parasites.
>>
>>33476590
Fuck you. Cheese tortellini is easily one of the best. Especially since they usually come with a first strike bar.
The chicken pesto is good too.
>>
>>33485536
ragu alla napoletana
>>
File: 0-Hd3Akypcw0fJLoir.jpg (65KB, 560x373px) Image search: [Google]
0-Hd3Akypcw0fJLoir.jpg
65KB, 560x373px
>when Steve eats better than HP Lovecraft
>>
>>33477553

>>33477541
here, I was just memeing, but due to your offer of a superpower, I should really get my hands on some.
>>
>>33485574
Lovecraft... had a hard life.
>>
>>33476558
Laxatives.
>>
>>33485049

Russian are the best, and the food itself is very high quality.
>>
File: 1414749314263.jpg (26KB, 480x557px) Image search: [Google]
1414749314263.jpg
26KB, 480x557px
>>33482092
>heating up cheddar in a pack all day

Ok autist.
>>
>>33485574
just how autismal was our boy Lovecraft?
>>
>>33485704
More than you can possibly know.
>>
File: 1488846213907.jpg (9KB, 331x266px) Image search: [Google]
1488846213907.jpg
9KB, 331x266px
>>33478554
Adding the cheese to the chili mac... My entire life changes right here right now with this.
> holy fucking shit I feel enlightened by something magic
>>
>>33476558
>. What does /k/ think is the best meal?
not the MRE
>>
Why the fuck are MRE's so expensive?

Is it just ebay sellers being kikes?
>>
>>33486114
Alot goes into an MRE, if you break down each item + the packaging they're already cheap to begin with.

But yes, alot of ebay jews as well, hard to avoid.
>>
File: 20170331_024731.png (69KB, 984x161px) Image search: [Google]
20170331_024731.png
69KB, 984x161px
>>33485574
Don't worry, he had some additional menu options for dinner too
>>
The Buffalo chicken is good. Strange it doesnt come with a heater pack though. Also South Korean MREs are Top fucking tier except they come in like 2 flavors
>>
>>33476558
Best meal?

Come on son, it's Chilli Mac. That's not even an opinion, it's a fact of life.
>>
>>33477624
This, seriously. Though I would only classify Asian strips in the top 3 when actually heated.
>>
>>33485116
They're extremely extremely compact for their calorie count.
>>
>>33485574
I don't understand the numbers.
>>
>>33476590

>MRE chicken
[retching noises]

People need to understand that fowl just doesn't WORK in this kind of context.
>>
>>33485574
What are those numbers? Cost? Energy content?
>>
>>33482092
I had a raccoon scale a tree and shimmy down a rope to try to get at my summer sausage in the boundary waters, it was sealed, but i guess not well enough. Queue me waking up and throwing rocks and screaming at a raccoon at 1 am, i let the bag down and he still wouldn't leave, fucker.
>>
>>33482092
"bread" , diet sausage, and Tourist's Delight.
>>
>>33487503
Units
>>
>>33485012
I've had similar lifeboat rations before. The taste was okay. You can also make them into a porridge. They're cheap and bland, of course. I'd personally suggest you use them to extend other emergency foods. There's about 12 bars in each 2400kcal package and their survival ration level is 800 kcals per day. Toss some in your car or on a boat as is their intended use. Store up a bit more and use them to extend the freeze-dried foods. 400 kcals/day from lifeboat rations plus whatever else you've put together. Gets your Mountain House diet to about 2000 kcal/day and provides something extra for a one-MRE-a-day diet. Lifeboat rations are a lot cheaper than MRE's ($15/day) or Mountain House ($17/day) and obviously will store well in a car, boat, or plane.
>>
>>33487548
>Tourist's Delight
can't tell if actual product or code for diarrhea
>>
It doesn't matter, you eat any of that and you'll be shitting bricks denser than a nigger's skull.
>>
>>33486183
>Boiardi Meatballs and Spaghetti
The finest that the canned pasta aisle has to offer. Ravioli and Spaghetti-Os a shit.
>>
>>33487753
STALK moar faget
Thread posts: 176
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.