[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were they forgotten?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: LostAndForgotten.jpg (224KB, 1613x534px) Image search: [Google]
LostAndForgotten.jpg
224KB, 1613x534px
Why were they forgotten?
>>
>>33468195
well twin mustang is a prop after all and kinda useless if ye got jet
>>
File: IMG_5748.jpg (26KB, 283x324px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5748.jpg
26KB, 283x324px
>voodoo and hustler
>forgotten
>>
>>33468299
F-101 Voodoo is probably the most forgotten after the F7U Cutlass and F4D Skyray

mid-50s USN fighters didnt have a good time
>>
File: a5vigilante.jpg (344KB, 1600x1246px) Image search: [Google]
a5vigilante.jpg
344KB, 1600x1246px
>>33468195
The A-5 was a technological marvel! It's not frequently mentioned because its service record was solely as a recon aircraft in 'Nam but the technology is far from forgotten.

Though it isn't a particularly impressive-looking aircraft, the A-5 Vigilante is impressive underneath her skin.

She first flew in 1958 but her squared intakes, high monowing, and large stabilizer all resemble aircraft produced 25 years later.

Inside, she had a HUD (heads up display), advanced guidance and targeting computers, inertial navigation, fly-by-wire control, and multi-mode radar with a digital computer to control it all. At the time, that avionics suite was groundbreaking. It goes beyond that. The wing roots and other features speak to the use of "area rule theory" in its design, long before such was codified and formally used in aircraft design almost 20 years after its first flight.

Granted, the thing was a maintenance nightmare but it was a very fast, very advanced airplane. Ahead of its time.
>>
>>33468390
That was the test bed for fly by wire? I thought the F-16 was. How the hell do you do that with late Fifties technology?
>>
>>33468195
Because Korea was forgotten, I'd also argue that the B-58 and A-5 weren't really forgotten.
>>
File: A-5.jpg (130KB, 800x715px) Image search: [Google]
A-5.jpg
130KB, 800x715px
>>33468415
http://www.boeing.com/news/frontiers/archive/2008/september/i_history.pdf

Believe it! The thing was like the F-35 on steroids in terms of maintenance. Remember, semiconductors as we know them were only invented in 1947 and this thing uses a digital computer to control a really stunning array of avionics.

It's like a less shitty Hustler- a Mach 2 bomber with insanely powerful electronics and every fancy gadget a plane at the time could have.
>>
File: ra5-2[1].gif (1004KB, 2200x1434px) Image search: [Google]
ra5-2[1].gif
1004KB, 2200x1434px
>>33468415
Do you see space between pilot and intakes? It's a computer. HUGE computer.
>>
Skyray was sexy as fuck

Alas sexiness isn't enough
>>
>>33468195
>Twin mustang
pleease tell me this is a joke
>>
>>33468548
It wasn't a bad aircraft for what it was designed to do, there are several examples of aircraft designs that basically consisted of
>hey lets attach two planes together.
The Germans had the HE-111 Zwilling built to carry their fuckhuge gliders and they had plans to build BF-109Zs.

An F-82 scored the first air kill of Korea
>>
>>33468195
The Cutlass, Voodoo, Vigilante and Demon were gouregous aircraft
>>
>>33468195
They were all built in an age of rapidly advancing aerospace technology and shifts in doctrine. F-82 got killed by jets obviously, F-89 and F-84F were early forays into jet fighter design, F7U and F3H had garbage engine, F4D and F11 were neat but quickly outpaced (RIP Super Tiger, you shoulda kicked the F-104's ass), Voodoo was actually good but didn't have the glamorous career of some of its contemporaries like the F-100 or F-4, the A-5 and B-58 were damn fine machines, but got screwed by changing overall missions, and the B-66 wasn't anything special.
>>
File: century.jpg (107KB, 700x377px) Image search: [Google]
century.jpg
107KB, 700x377px
F102 and F106 were pretty much forgotten as well.
>>
>>33468195
>F-82
>B-58
Not forgotten
>F-89
>F-84
>F7U
>F-11
>F4D
>F3H
Never did anything
>B-66
>F-101
>A-5
Upstaged by Phantoms, Thuds and B-52s
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.