[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would this work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: Variable Spring Assembly.webm (243KB, 1074x858px) Image search: [Google]
Variable Spring Assembly.webm
243KB, 1074x858px
/k/, I need some advice about some firearms mechanic things.

I'm a hobbyist, but I had this idea of a spring assembly that would move along a weapon's y-axis to reduce the spring pressure at the end of the cycling motion, to reduce the chance of a gun improperly picking up a round from the magazine.

The idea is that it could be switched on and off, to quickly let the user of the weapon change between normal and subsonic ammunition.

Is this viable? Am I forgetting a law of physics here somewhere?

Like I said, I'm a hobbyist, I don't plan on building it. I just like designing odd gun mechanics.
>>
Also, nothing in the webm is to scale. It's a very rough prototype.

The red and blue bar are to show the difference between the travel distance after both slides get the same 'recoil' impulse.

I'm using Algodoo as the physics simulator and drawing program btw.
>>
The primary problems I can see are finding a way to fit it in without interfering with other mechanisms and that it may apply stress in an unusual way that the frame will need to be designed around.
>>
>>33453943

I'm currently toying with how the guide rod would work, but the front portion of the frame would definately end up becoming wider than before.

I'm guessing a fixed barrel would be a must for a gun like this. I've tried to port the system to a 1911 size design so it looks less cartoony. Note the sharply angled guiderod.
>>
>>33453894
Looks like it might provide a new way to jam.
The spring axis changing is going to put torque on both the drop assembly and the slide which means that they will want to rotate and put mechanical pressure on the groves they sit in. With more pressure you will expirence more friction so if run dry or dirty the slide might get stuck open.
>>
Why not just have an adjustable valve at one end, that you can screw in or out to alter the amount of space the spring can travel in?

Just gotta work out a way so the slide still travels the same distance regardless of valve adjustment.
>>
>>33453894
Good stuff anon, I'll post webm of my gas operated rifle on algodoo once I get home
>>
>>33454213

Neat, more Algodoo-anons.

I have about a hundred designs laying around but I just can't bring myself to become a regular DeviantArt user. I'll gradually start once I have more free time.
>>
>>33453894
>more moving parts

Why
>>
NEAT, but a solution in search of a problem.
>>
>>33453894
Is this for a purely blowback firearm?

I think the main problem you'll find is that most pistols incorporate the recoil spring onto a guide rod, one that both keeps the spring from flexing and helps keep the slide in position during cycling.

Moving the spring like that will likely cause it to bend as its compressing, which is probably a bad thing, I guess?
>>
>>33453894
>to reduce the chance of a gun improperly picking up a round from the magazine.
It would also reduce the chance of it properly picking up a round.
But also, I don't see how the guide rod for the spring would actually work. If the rod is fixed at the rear, it will angle up into the barrel. If it's fixed at the front, it'll push back down into the magazine / trigger assembly. Unless you have the rod off-axis, but that would be kinda weird and it'd make the gun single-handed (right-only vs. ambi).
What software are you using though, looks cool.
>>
>>33453972
Attach the front of the guide rod to the slide where the spring sits. It can then be run through a hole in the vertical moving block. This allows the guide rod to tilt with the spring without hitting the barrel.
This would, however, complicate the rest of the internals.
>>
>>33453894
try it and see if it works
if you don't try you won't learn anything
>>
>>33453903
>I'm using Algodoo as the physics simulator and drawing program btw.

Just looked this up, seems pretty nifty.

Is it hard to use or can it be picked up pretty easily? I want to fuck around with potential firearm actions, maybe 'remake' the Farquhar-Hill action and see if it can be made more compact.
>>
>>33454862

It takes some getting used to. Learn the shortcuts, mess around with every single option and don't forget to set the render refresh rate to 1200 instead of 60, to avoid clipping issues.
>>
>>33453894
There is nothing to bring the sliding bit back up.

You would need a second spring underneath it
>>
Helical springs really hate being thrown into an non linear (by design) action.

Once or twice is normally fine, but it weakens the spring every time and eventually will bind/break it.
>>
>>33454961
Here

>>33453894
To add you can get the same effect with a dynamic coil spring on a linear axis.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.mate.tue.nl/mate/pdfs/10229.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiKgYnVrvnSAhUT9mMKHa4jCJEQFggXMAU&sig2=J72DKI3nLN8YeOSn2AU2XA&usg=AFQjCNHJQ327gUn7qUNcSviHc4BU5WOmSg

Here is some reading.
>>
>>33454923
Look again, it's captive to the slide

>>33454961
What do you mean by non-linear? The force looks linear along the guide rod to me. Or did you mean linear over time? I don't see how that would be an issue. Not OP btw.
>>
>>33453894
I'm not sure if you know this, but modern automatic pistols operate with almost complete reliability. If you want to do something useful, make them more accurate/controllable/powerful/usable/safe, without affecting reliability.
>>
You know subsonics cycle out of pistols just fine, right?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.