[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dun Goofed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1193.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1193.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
I think I screwed up /k/.

Did some shooting last weekend, and when I was done I cleaned my 12 gauge, and also ran a cloth with the cleaner over the exterior of the gun. I pulled it out today and it's covered in rust spots. Is this stuff super corrosive?

I did the same to my beretta 92 and it seems fine. How badly did I fuck up and what can I do to fix this?
>>
>>33452102
I hate to say it, but you need to at least have your gun refinished, and the integrity of your barrel may be compromised. Take it to a certified gun smith for a second opinion.
>>
>>33452102
What did you use as "cleaner"?
>>
You used bore cleaner on the finish?

Bad move. Rub it down with a lightly oiled rag, then go over it again with clean dry rags.
>>
>>33452102
>I pulled it out today and it's covered in rust spots. Is this stuff super corrosive?
the issue here is you bought modern remshit
even if you didnt shoot it it was going to rust cause remshit
>>
>used a degreasing cleaner
>shocked when the bare metal rusts

Thats why you oil it after cleaning dingus
>>
File: IMG_20170128_143834.jpg (556KB, 1441x1070px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170128_143834.jpg
556KB, 1441x1070px
>>33452102

what cleaner did you use and how new is your Remington? Post-2007 Remingtons are known to be rust magnets.
>>
>>33452102
lmao this is a newbie mistake
your gun isn't broke in yet. soak it in vinegar overnight and it'll harden up the finish
after that pour boiling water over it and dry it with a hot blow dryer, then cover it in oil and use some wet dry sandpaper to blend in the spots
>>
>>33452163

Whatever you use to clean the barrel. I figured it had lube/sealant in it as well.
>>
>>33452147
>the integrity of your barrel may be compromised. Take it to a certified gun smith for a second opinion

Kek
>>
>>33452207
>Whatever you use to clean the barrel

Hoppes #9? You fucking fool.
>>
>>33452259
>clean the barrel
You mean bore, you fucking moron.
>>
>>33452278

Hey, I didn't ruin MY gun, you faggot.
>>
>>33452102
Highly doubt it was your solvent broham. More than likely it's just the shitty finish of modern Remington. The Remshit meme isn't just a meme, it's fucking reality. Their quality has been Jewed down big time
>>
>>33452294
You caused some surface rust. Get a rag soaked in CLP and oil the exterior surface ASAP.
>>
>>33452102

Just asking: what made you think mopping your finish with bore solvent was a good idea?

Also, watch your Beretta's finish drop off in big flakes over the next couple days and report back about how hard you're crying..
>>
>>33452102
Thats Remington 870 tactical isnt it? that was first scattergat and the finish on them is utter shit. Id rattle can it if i were you
>>
>>33452207
Solvent and CLP are different, rub the rust off with a oil-soaked cloth and rub on a light coat of machine oil, not solvent.
>>
>>33452351

I'm not OP, I'm not fucking stupid enough to slop bore solvent all over my guns.
>>
>>33452413
Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant

CLP is gun oil retard
>>
>>33452431

Are you fucking retarded? I'm not the stupid nigger that just ruined my gun.

Go suck a dick until you can read threads.
>>
>>33452413
Your shotgun isn't ruined yet. Just stop being retarded in the future.
>>
>>33452454
It is ruined though. We can clearly see how badly you fucked it up.

CLP. Get it through your miniscule brain.

C. L. P.
>>
>>33452102
>Remington

Found your problem

Sell it and buy a Mossberg
>>
OP here, thanks to everyone who posted constructive advice. I wiped the beretta down with a damp rag before carefully toweling off its parts. It still looks fine but one can never be too sure.

For the Remington, I'll go out and get some gun oil asap to rub the whole thing down. Worst case scenario is I have to get the damn thing refinished.

At least I only fucked up an 870, and not something expensive.
>>
>>33452537
>I wiped the beretta down with a damp rag

lmfao. another good move, dickwad.
>>
>>33452587

>carefully towelled down its parts.

Can you even read?
>>
>>33452537
Oil you dumb shit
>>
>>33452603
>>carefully towelled down its parts.

Just like mommy did for you last night?
>>
>>33452537
>Worst case scenario is I have to get the damn thing refinished.

Jesus christ don't even worry about it.
>>
>>33452207
lol oh lawd you dun goofd
>>
Is this a troll thread, or is OP the dumbest cunt that ever managed to get his hands on a firearm?
>>
>>33452651
Well, he didn't accidentally kill himself or anyone else, so probably not.
>>
>>33452468
You ducking tard. He is saying he is not OP. The person you are replying to did not create this thread you dense fuck.
>>
>>33452734
Fucking*
>mobilefag reporting in
>>
OP, just buy some Breakfree Powderblast.

It'll clean it all right up and reblue everything for you. It just takes 2-3 coats and an oil.
>>
File: a68.png (301KB, 520x678px) Image search: [Google]
a68.png
301KB, 520x678px
>>33452102
your thread makes me feel anxious. im gonna go make sure my guns arent rusting.
>>
>>33452537
Do you live in a swamp? Why did it rust so fast?
>>
>>33452799

That might be wise. I'm just glad I caught this after 8 days instead of 8 weeks.
>>
>>33452734
Then why did he ruin his shotgun if he isn't retarded?

Stop pouring solvent on your gun. You are a retard.
>>
OP, some advice.

Hoppe's 9 is fine on for vintage guns that were finished via older hot bluing processes, stainless guns, and polymer guns with nitrided slides.

Hoppe's 9 does not play nice with other finishes. It will ruin nickeled finishes, many kinds of newer hot blued finishes, and any kind of finish that uses a clear coat, enamel, or paint component (one example being the Bruniton finish used on the 92FS) due to the fact that Hoppe's 9 is 5% ammonia by volume.

In the future, be careful not to overuse solvent or leave it on your gun, and consider switching to a more modern solvent that does not have the potential to damage firearms' finishes. Aside from CLP that one of the previous anons mentioned, M-Pro 7 is also good. Both also have the benefit of being nontoxic (unlike Hoppe's 9).
>>
>>33453077
>one example being the Bruniton finish used on the 92FS

Ruin how? I may be interested in a reason to duracoat my 92FS in FDE...
>>
>>33452468
Which CLP? Amazon has CLP-2, CLP-4, CLP-5... are they all the same stuff in different bottles?
>>
>>33452102
Rust on a Remington is not a flaw it's a feature.
>>
>>33453100
IIRC, Bruniton is an enamel applied over parkerization. It's actually a pretty good finish in terms of durability, but if you're doing things like wiping down the slide with Hoppe's 9 every time you clean the gun the finish will eventually start to peel and make your gun look like it's suffering from a bad case of sunburn.

Note that getting a little bit of solvent on your gun is not a problem; it is only when you are, again, wiping down the gun with it or letting it stay on the gun that you will have a serious problem on your hands in no time at all.

>duracoat my 92FS in FDE

Unless your finish is falling off, I would just keep it as is. As I said, the Bruniton finish is actually a good one; it's just not resistant to this particular kind of abuse.

edit: quoted my own post by accident
>>
>>33452537
>I wiped the beretta down with a damp rag

Better yet, you should have just put it in the dishwasher, it's the best way to clean guns if you're a clueless fucktard.
>>
>>33452651
He hasn't said he had a ND so he's still smarter than 90% of people on /k/
>>
>>33453443
>He hasn't said he had a ND so he's still smarter than 90% of people on /k/

He hasn't said one way or another, so as far as we know his ceiling, walls. front door, and left boot are full of bullet holes.
>>
>>33452102
>cleaner
>when basic common sense says to use CLP on the metal finish
>you used solvent
>it's a fucking Remington and probably not an 870P with decent parkerizing

Get it bead blasted and Cerakoted in a color you like. Or start scrubbing off the rust spots with steel wool and keeping it extensively oiled.
>>
That's just a rustington feature.
Rattle can it and the problem goes away.
>>
>>33452102
It's.... REALTREE TIME
>>
>>33452102

Hahaha

Poor faggot, the beautiful hand blue finish is ruined
>>
>>33452185

There are people out there who don't oil?
>>
I'm new to owning a gun, I own a 10/22 with a tactical solutions x-ring barrel, how often do I need to clean the outside of the barrel and what should I use? I have hoppes solvent and hoppes lube
>>
>>33455084
Anytime you rub your dickbeaters on it. If you live below the Mason-Dixon then once every two weeks. Keep silica gel packets in your case. Oh and wipe it down after you shoot it too. It takes no time at all and hoppes wipes are cheap.
>>
>>33452968
Person 1 poured solvent on his shotgun.
Person 2 comments on it saying at least I didn't ruin my shotgun. You reply to person 2, saying you did ruin your shotgun (person 2 did not make this thread, person 1 did). Am I getting trolled?
>>
>>33452537
Buddy, its a 12 guage pump. Its gonna work till the cows come home
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.