[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I a pussy for wanting a "youth" gun as a first buy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: avianpepe.png (5KB, 236x214px) Image search: [Google]
avianpepe.png
5KB, 236x214px
Please help /k/ocksuckers- am i a cuck/weakling/et cetera for wanting a single-shot 20 gauge for a first gun? I'm thinking of the CVA Hunter rifled because it's barely 200$ on cheaperthandirt

I just want a good training gun :-/
>>
>>33451855
are you a manlet?
if you are an adult of average size or greater a youth gun will be uncomfortable as fuck thanks to the short lop meant for youths.
>>
File: justlikenewvegas.jpg (32KB, 800x178px) Image search: [Google]
justlikenewvegas.jpg
32KB, 800x178px
>>33451964
well i am a short latino but im also athletic as a bitch. i landscape for a living, so that's not the "point"- mostly the idea of a dirt-cheap, break action, single-shot shotgun for deer/boar/fowl appeals to me.

if this seems self-answering then i'd also like to know if there's any better options in the same price range.

pic related- CVA Hunter, rifled barrel, 20 gauge. worth?
>>
>>33452066
Why do you want a 20 gauge instead of 12 gauge?
>>
>>33452066
Hey if that is all you can afford, go for it. I would go 12 if you can though and higher capacity.
>>
>>33451855
Not at all, anon. A single-shot 20ga can be useful beyond training for bird hunting, and besides, it's a basic, easy-to-use gun, and that's what you want to start with. It doesn't do to waste $800 on an AR and then find you don't enjoy guns... Or worse yet, that you do, but have broken your shiny new friend with a beginner mistake that would have been cheaper/easier to fix than it would have been on a $200 20ga shotty. Which leads to the point of maintenance- start of with something simple, for the love of God. Learn slowly, learn thoroughly. Start small, anon.
>>
>>33452115
>>33452144

>filename
>plus, shot discipline, relaxation, ammo conversation yadda yadda

Also, to spare myself bruising; plus the CVA Hunter is rifled- i like the appeal of slug shooting. if i got to brain some shitty deer with a 20 guage slug at 50 yards i would shit. however if i am being fucking dumb, feel free to point that out

>>33452144
hey thanks anon, im not done with thinking about it and 200-350 (usd) is my price range

>>33452206
so, to my real question: rifled or smoothbore?
>>
File: 637771_ts.jpg (33KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
637771_ts.jpg
33KB, 1155x1155px
>>33452066
a maverick 88 is in the 180-250 price range in a variety of barrel lengths and holds more than a single bullet
i understand wanting a singleshot if your budget was 100 bucks or you just wanted to fuck around with it but when youve got 200 why bother.
>>
>>33452239
I don't know shit about hunting, but you can get a mossberg 500 for about $330, probably cheaper if you look around.
>>
>>33451855
my first gun was an 8mm Mauser you fucking pussy
>>
>>33452066
real talk, how long are your arms? i'm a mega manlet and a normal length shotgun stock makes holding a shotgun uncomfortable for me. I got the shorter magpul stock and it's about a million times better

something similar is the overhead handrail on buses. my arm is just long enough to grasp the bar with my hand but it's uncomfortable because i'm reaching all the way (yes i'm that fucking short). if my arms were a couple inches longer, or i was a couple inches taller, i think it'd be no problem.
>>
>>33451855
>cheaperthandirt
fuck off
>>
>>33452378
?
>>
File: iwish.jpg (50KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
iwish.jpg
50KB, 1280x720px
>>33452354
my arms are 2" give or take an inch.
real talk, you fuck with Skee-Lo?

>>33452333
yeesh, i dont want some crusty old third-world bolt action
>>
>>33452239
>Also, to spare myself bruising
I don't know about other people but when I first shot my 12ga expecting to be sent flying by the recoil there was no bruise what so ever, feels like being shoved by an adult at the time and the sore feeling doesn't even kick in until 30 minutes after shooting.
Granted I was shooting various birdshot, all were 3in and below.

Also I have heard that some 20ga can kick harder than a 12ga because the gun itself is lighter and doesn't absorb the shock for you.
>>
>>33452066
Get a 12 gauge pump or you're just going to have to get another one later. Rifled barrels are a meme, don't even look at that as a factor in your decision. I use a smooth bore Nova as a slug gun for deer often; it's fine up to 100 yards and any more the drop of slugs gets boat-like. You'll want one with interchangeable chokes if you really want a multi purpose shotgun. A 12 gauge pump with changeable chokes and you can take any game in North America.
>>
a lightweight singleshot will kick more than a pump
>>
>>33452434
i really, really wish i was a little bit taller. a high school sophomore could probably dunk on me.
>>
File: 20170317_174715-1.jpg (814KB, 467x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170317_174715-1.jpg
814KB, 467x3264px
>>33452333
>Implying Mausers are tough to shoot and have any kick whatsofuckingever.

Those fucking things are so heavy they pat like a baby, if you had shot one you would know that.
>>
>>33452378
>Let's be autistic about an incident from 2012 to new gun owners and then not explain why they're looked down on

>>33452395
They took advantage of rushes for ammo and what not by hiking up their prices when Obama was reelected. Almost like they're a business that wants to profit
>>
>>33452462
>rifled barrels are a meme
what do you mean?

Anyway, thanks for the advice, but for a starter, I'm pretty set on a single break action-shotgun, and with CVA the rifled barrel comes with a scope rail- both things im looking for.

if CVA isnt the best company to look for Ill find something else
>>
>>33452592
a rifled barrel makes your gun a dedicated slug gun since they wont shoot shot for shit. shot will make a donut pattern out of a rifled shotgun.

at a certain point you should just buy a rifle since slugs/sabot slugs arent cheap and a rifle will easily out range a shotgun.

if this is cause you can only hunt x in your state with a shotgun during y season this is justifiable but it sounds like the reason you want this gun is its price.
>>
>>33452660
well, the unrifled barrel is, in fact, cheaper.
CVA isn't selling individual barrels either, which would solve this problem. also the smoothbore version lacks a rail.

kind of a stupid debate, i cant lie, but really im just finalizing this before i actually purchase one or the other.

secondly this is definitely going to be basically a holdover/training gun before i start saving for a ranch rifle. I suppose at 200$ i cant fuck up too horribly.
>>
>>33452729
well if its want you want its what you want but 200 bucks gets you other more practical guns that arent single shots like a semiauto 22lr or pump shotgun.
>>
>>33452729
Honestly it's going to shoot just fine. A hammer fired break barrel shotgun is one of the simplest and most bomb proof configurations you can get. Like you said, for $200 you can't go too far bad. If that's what you want, get it. It will be a good rabbit/squirrel/small game gun and a 20 gauge slug is plenty of medicine to kill North American deer. But if you want a practice shotgun I'd recommend learning to use the bead and not worrying about a scope/rails too much. For most game beads allow faster target acquisition for the range you'll be using a shotgun. Same for clay pigeons, etc.
>>
>>33452796
ok, thanks for the great advice. I think Im going to stick with the slug barrel, tho, largely because im not particularly passionate about shotguns and I mostly want something nifty/useful.

probably going to delete this thread. thanks famalam
>>
>>33452434
>talking shit about milsurp
I'm done helping you.
>>
>>33452826
>ok, thanks for the great advice. I think Im going to stick with the slug barrel, tho, largely because im not particularly passionate about shotguns and I mostly want something nifty/useful.
why are you buying a shotgun then instead of a cheap rifle like a savage axis?
>>
>>33452434
Pro tip: don't hate milsurp, it makes you a nigger no matter what color you are. Milsurp (at least old stuff) is usually pretty high-quality as far as boltguns and semiautos go. Remember, milsurp was designed with combat in mind. It's meant to work in shit conditions, work for a long time, and its work is blowing holes in motherfuckers for basically anyone who can hold it and take decent care of it. They're also often chambered in ridiculously common cartridges like .308 and .30-06. Decent milsurp is often cheap, cheap to feed, easy to use, and damn near guaranteed to last forfuckingever if you don't treat it like total shit. And all this is with historical value set aside. Old Mausers are kickass rifles, and so are Enfields and Springfields. Never dis milsurp.
>>
>>33452990
>milsurp
>cheap
>cheap to feed

Nope

Especially when compared to a shotgun like OP is talking about.
>>
>>33453045
if hes only shooting 20 gauge slugs its going to be expensive as fuck
>>
>>33452066
Bro I'm 5'8 and have been shooting fullsize shotguns with all the loads since my teens. I also shot a .50 Deagle when I was 15, and carried the 249/240 in the military. You'll be fucking fine dude,tho I'd recommend getting a Mossberg 12 gauge over that 20 gauge single shot shit
>>
>>33451855
Buy a mossberg 500 home and field combo for 300 plus tax. Just be aware that shooting slugs out of the long barrel may not be a great idea as it has a non-removeable choke. If you want something that's actually pleasant to shoot look into the Stoeger m3000 or m3500.
>>
>>33452444

To add to this, 12ga isn't too bad if you plan on firing it frequently. If you set it down and let it collect dust, and then one day shoot skeet for like 2+ hours, yeah your shoulder might be sore, though it certainly won't be bruised.

You said you just wanted it for hunting purposes, so that really shouldn't affect you at all imo. If I were to get a new shotgun I think Mossberg or maybe CZ are the places to look.

Getting a youth gun sounds like a bad idea, unless you have really short arms, I don't think it will sit right on you.

Also, 12ga ammo is like roughly 2/3 the price of 20ga.
>>
>>33452839
>>33452990

says nothing to the quality. military surplus could be mosins made out of dogdick wood and cheap metal. thanks for nothing (i'm a rural man the biggest ranges i have are acreages anyway, so fuck anything more than 350 metres)

I saw a 250 spanish mauser that was probably getting dusty in some spanish arsenal. Who cares? a good pocket gun could be just as useful.

Not insulting milsurp. just saying its not always that useful for price
>inner city justice hispanic ticks go off
>you think i couldn't just spend .22s on an uzi on that money, man
>>
File: metaphorallegory.jpg (18KB, 506x267px) Image search: [Google]
metaphorallegory.jpg
18KB, 506x267px
>>33452877
ehh... something about the idea of a slug gun. hella useful for putdowns. good at range, even. hogs are open game all year in florida.

quiero mas barbacoa.

in any case,
>who am i kidding you chekov nagant worshippers arent around

didn't mean to insult anyone, haven't been on in a good while, militarily educated, kinda just wanna get some purchases going.

the only thing that could convince me otherwise would be a smooth pump on a medium-sized shotgun. more than 24 inches gets tricky. guess i'll search more.

thanks /k/ucks
>>
>>33451855
You're only a pussy for giving a fuck about what other men think.
>>
>>33453705
stop getting me wet..
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.