[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Black Powder Thread!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: Ducks foot.jpg (28KB, 544x282px) Image search: [Google]
Ducks foot.jpg
28KB, 544x282px
Also, question for you guys.

If you had a black powder gun pointed at you (loaded loose, no cartridge) and you slapped the barrel down hard, would the powder and shot fall out? Smoothbore or rifled.
>>
>>33448103
No. No it would not.
>>
>>33448103
bullets are oversized where a lead ring is cut off when the bullet is inserted or theres wadding
its not going to roll out.
>>
File: germanshottower.jpg (30KB, 266x320px) Image search: [Google]
germanshottower.jpg
30KB, 266x320px
>>33448103
>If you had a black powder gun pointed at you (loaded loose, no cartridge) and you slapped the barrel down hard, would the powder and shot fall out? Smoothbore or rifled.

Short answer is: Depends, probably not, as ramming it home should help embed it in the powder charge.

>>33448205
>bullets are oversized where a lead ring is cut off
US Civil war myth encouraged by shitty reenactors. The overwhelming majority of round ball bullets were produced by gravity drop via a shot tower, forming near perfectly round balls faster, easier and in higher production. Leaving sprue on your bullet fucks up your shot as well by creating more internal bounce in the barrel, among other things.
>>
>>33449167
Shot towers make shot. Physics only lets you make a globule of a certain size before the air resistance forces it into smaller parts. Larger ball is made in a mold. Usually gang molds for military applications (high volume production).
>>
>>33450414
I'm with the tripfag, the musketball "knuckle" is farb mythology. Shot towers also did rolling molds which has no sprue or moldlines. The idea of soldiers using a gang mold in the field regularly is Hollywoodism.
>>
File: patriot-2.jpg (229KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
patriot-2.jpg
229KB, 500x600px
>>33449167
>>33450414
>>33451821
Fucking casuals. Everyone knows bullets were made one at a time, from lead soldier toys, so the paint still shows up in the ball.

Faggots.
>>
File: 20161022_121613.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161022_121613.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
How do you guys clean your blackpowder guns after shooting? I know alot of places say to rinse with water and shit.
>>
>>33451821
I don't even understand what the lead ring thing is about. I've never heard it in my decade of talking about flintlock-era military history. If they (and you) are talking about the sprue, that's easy to take care of. Soldiers only made ball at large fortifications. Ideally, castings were made at shot towers and Armories.
Shot towers physically cannot make a .75 caliber ball, it has to be made in a mold.

Soldiers with muskets casting their ball ala Johnny Tremain? Yeah, that's bunkum. Riflemen doing it in the Rev War? Totally happened. Guys trickling out of the Virginia backcountry carried all sorts of calibres. It pissed off the State congress to no end.
>>
>>33452324
Yes, water is fine. There's no need for peroxide or ammonia etc. The water doesn't even have to be hot. I have no idea about pyrodex though. Swabbing until the swabs are clean it is important.
>>
In muzzle-loaders, the balls would be significantly undersized so that they could still be seated on the powder even with the expected fouling. Generally the fouling was enough to prevent the ball from rolling back out, but you could also use a cotton patch around the ball or even the paper from the cartridge itself as wadding.
>>
File: 20170304_185409(1).jpg (196KB, 960x528px) Image search: [Google]
20170304_185409(1).jpg
196KB, 960x528px
Pic is one of my funs. British 1756 Short pattern navy. Kicks like a mule and makes a big pop.

>>33451937
I will find what makes you happy and destroy it.

>>33452324
>>33452678
HOT water. Helps with evaporation. I typically run a dry swab, followed by a swap with alcohol after.

>>33452420
The idea of the "ring" or "joint" on musket balls is an old USCW bullshit farb story that the "ring" of lead flash from the mold seams, or the flat sprue joint would allow the ball to have some wedge in the barrel without the need of cartridge or patch. Some bullshit even farther to say that said flash and sprue causes "horrific wounds", and its the same level of retardation as the fullers of blades being "blood grooves" etc.

As >>33451821 mentions, many shot towers also had short tube rolling molds, and I do know that the French mass produced .65c in such a fashion.

>Riflemen doing it in the Rev War? Totally happened. Guys trickling out of the Virginia backcountry carried all sorts of calibres. It pissed off the State congress to no end.

We're also talking a very different beast, with shaped bullets vs. round. The myth surrounds round ball, and I doubt anyone shooting a rifle of leave flashing on a conical or minie.

This all said: Fuck the USCW.

>>33452914
In almost all 18thC military drill, the paper cartridge was the wadding.
>>
>>33452678
Peroxide actually helps remove leading and ammonia helps to neutralise the corrosive sulphur compounds left behind.
Soap and water and using a good powder/patch/ball combo is so much easier though.
>>
>>33453161
Clownbro! Any word on mus/k/etfest?
>>
>>33451937

that movie was bullshit
>>
>>33453183
Not of late. I still have the big issue of finding a place to host it. The New Kent country anon got cold feet.

>>33453185
Explaining what bullshit that movie is, constitutes 90% of my day job.
>>
>>33453215
Someone West of Richmond, or in Surrey should host. Stuff on this peninsula is too damned crowded.
>>
>>33453161
>>33452678
Alright thanks guys. Been shooting pyrodex out of this walker. After about 3 shooting sessions and cleaning with hot water i still noticed light rust starting to form.
>>
>>33453266
Surry, Richmond, Mechanicsville, Yorktown, New Kent... Anywhere within an hour of Williamsburg (but not in 'burg. I don't shit where I eat), and fuck the oceanfront.
>>
>>33453215
>Explaining what bullshit that movie is, constitutes 90% of my day job.

how so? not a fan or anything but just curious what the big inaccuracies are for someone not versed in history.
>>
>>33453406
It would take hours for me to list everything. Literally, the only things they have right is that there is and America and a Britain and they had a war. Gibson literally had to go out of his way to be less historically accurate than brave heart.

For a light scratch at the surface, Check out the History Buffs review of The Patriot on youtube.

Goodnight ya'll.
>>
File: 20161124_104834.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_104834.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>33453267
>>
>>33453309
dude you can't shoot in Williamsburg without hitting 5 pancake houses and 3 anti-fence protesters.
>>
File: 20170207_211844.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170207_211844.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>33452324
Full dissasembly (not actually required but I'm pedantic and want the gun to be 100% clean just to be sure)

Toss al the parts into a bowl full of hot water and soap

Clean each and every individual part with hot water, a bit of soap and the cleaning rod

Change water in the bowl, repeat until everything is perfectly clean and the water doesn't turn black in the slightest

Dry everything with a microfiber cloth and the cleaning rod, making sure that the inside of the bore, chambers and all the little nooks and crannies are perfectly dry

Thinly lube all the individual parts with ballistol, preferably wih a cloth. Make sure you don't overlube the nipples (yes I know how it sounds) so they don't get clogged.

Put the whole thing together

Done

I know some people don't like using hot water and soap because supposedly it can damage the gun/finish/whatever, but I've been cleaning it like that all the time and don't see any damage.

That's how I clean pic related. I don't know if other black powder guns should be cleaned that way. I'm fairly sure it should be fine to clean all other cap&ball revolvers like this though.
>>
>>33453267
>i still noticed light rust starting to form
You are either not drying it or not lubing it properly. Pay more attention, make sure every single spot imaginable is perfectly dry.
>>
>>33453710
Your amusing jest has routed my flanks.

That said, I know a place for shooty fun times in 'burg, but I refuse to tell you cock holsters. If I did, it would be littered with jizz stained anime body pillows and burnt out AK forwards by the end of the week.
>>
Bump? I need more info of mus/k/fest. I take it that its in virginia?
>>
>>33459955
Nothing really to say, as we can't find a place to do it yet. Black powder funs, drunken singlestick fighting, booze and BBQ.
>>
Maybe I'm in over my head, but I was waiting for bpg to show up. I want to build a musket, a replica of sorts, I was thinking a traditions kit, but alas I'm manlet, and rifle is long. Seeing as muskets aren't regulated under nfa I thought about making a sbr flintlock. My issue is pistols ans rifles have different twist rates. Can I cut rifle down without issue?
>>
>>33460826
Be a man and go smoothbore.
>>
>>33460849
But accuracy?
Tbh I know nearly nothing useful about antique arms, I only shoot centerfire. And all my research only turns up muzzle loading hunting season. All I really know is id like to build a "incorrect replica"musket, as a wonderful lesson in making, as well as all the extra actions involved in using muskets, making ammo, "foooosh" clouding shooters downwind
>>
>>33460901
>But accuracy?

I can hit a 6 inch pie plate at 70 meters with my short naval pistol. Its doesn't matter where I hit you, as a .65 cal ball at such a low velocity doesn't "graze" or leave "walking flesh wounds".

>All I really know is id like to build a "incorrect replica"musket, as a wonderful lesson in making, as well as all the extra actions involved in using muskets, making ammo, "foooosh" clouding shooters downwind

I would suggest taking a black powder course if at all possible, or making friends with a club. Avoid reenactors who do not target shoot or hunt, as they are typically full of bullshit like the above "flash ring" debacle.
>>
>>33453161
So are seamless balls something people might be interested in? I have access to a lathe and I could probably make a rolling mold provided the scrap yard has functioning elevator motors.
>>
>>33461085
I'll look into a course, can you recommend any books that might learn me the ins and outs? I don't hunt, just want another way to kill paper that'll give my mind and hands something to focus on, I hope understand technical data, bullet types, twist rates, charges and how they all affect one another
>>
>>33461176
Hornady already makes them in most sizes.
>>
>>33461176
All commercially produced balls are tumbled these days, and anyone with a decent mold won't have enough of a gap for flash to form.

>>33461180
Buckskinner Magazine compendium, off the top of my head.
>>
>>33452420
I think it comes from loading bp revolvers. If your ball is slightly larger than your chamber, a small ring of lead will be shaved off when you seat it. This serves as extra protection against chain fires, along with proper application of bore grease, and doesn't really affect accuracy at pistol range. I've never heard it applied to long guns, though.
>>
>>33460901
0 to 1 in 50 (give or take) is adequate for round ball, 1 in 20 to 1 in 40 (give or take) is adequate for various bullets. The shorter your barrel, the faster the twist should be (for a rifle. Smoothbores gain accuracy from length of barrel plus patch tightness). If you just want to get your feet wet, try the Lyman deer stalker. It comes in a kit form, looks close enough to classic for govt work, and is actually a pretty nice little weapon.
>>
>>33452420
You'd think they would like having to just buy raw lead and let the rifleman deal with it
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.