[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/PrepThreadGeneral/ - Dwelling selection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

File: 5-image.jpg (75KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
5-image.jpg
75KB, 600x400px
Sup /k/,

So what are some things to look out for when looking for a new apartment or dwelling innacity.
A few things I'm looking at right now:
>preferably on the highest floor and with a balcony, so I can put a dualband ham radio antenna on the roof and get good range
>Balcony is also for cooking food. Higher floor means less people can see me or smell the food
>not so high that I can't rappel down from the balcony
>Maybe facing east and get some sunshine for solar
>Nothing on the ground floor at least

For the SHTF itself, if I am home or get home from work, my plan is to just hold it out for some time and eventually bug-out if the situation is that serious. But I would probably ride out the first 2 weeks using the food storage I've built, and monitor communications to find out what is going on and what is causing it.

The distance to the BOL (a cabin in the woods) is at max 80 miles, depending on where I'm deciding to live next. I don't plan on having a vehicle soon, so I'm going to have to bike that distance. I can cover that distance in two days.
My biggest concern is the building catching on fire due to an accident or arson.

My question is: When the SHTF for a couple days, would you hold it out for 2 weeks in a city first and potentially become trapped in a fire, or bug-out much sooner and possibly be robbed or killed while underway? I'd reckon that after 2 weeks either the most desperate and thus dangerous people have found a way to eat or die off.

Some useful thread related stuff:
https://pastebin.com/raw/FhKXrmYh
>>
File: G3k.jpg (127KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
G3k.jpg
127KB, 1024x768px
bampo
>>
>>33444098
I live right downtown in Toronto in a very new condo building. I have always wrestled with if I should bug-in or bail ASAP. I sort of think it would be easier to bug out right away since Toronto isn't the most armed place in the world and the confusion might provide some cover. Last thing I want is to wait a bit, bug out, and run in to a bunch of well prepared people picking off whoever is left.
>>
>>33444419
That's exactly the same dilemma I'm facing here. The initial few days would be a clear sailing if you want to get out of the city by bike, since many people would be leaving.

Somehow I'm still attracted to the idea of holding it out for a week or more, to see how people would react.

Then again, I guess that's pretty stupid and I should get out of the city within 96 hours of grid down (I use the moment of grid-down as my starting point when it comes to prepping).
>>
>>33444098
I think it largely depends on the situation, if there are riots in the streets maybe bugging in initially would be the better plan while at the same time if it's a grid down (EMP/CME etc) event then bugging out sooner before people start to really panic may be a good plan.

Now the real question is what is I saw you say you have a cabin in the woods, what sort of supplies and support do you have already set up there?
>>
File: 55386.png (540KB, 560x346px) Image search: [Google]
55386.png
540KB, 560x346px
>>33444098
BAAAAAAAAMMMMP
>>
>>33444098
>My question is: Would you wait 2 weeks to bug out after shtf inna city?

Depends completly on the situation id say. If its a full blown total SHTF, like loss of government, me personally, id try to get out of the city before that went down, assuming you had somewhere to go (Family members house inna suburbs or something farther out). If you don't have anywhere to go? Id just stay there, and honestly, id probably stay in for longer than 2 weeks. Its hard to tell when it would be 'safe' to leave. It will likely get worse as time goes on, but the first few weeks, will have a really really high security risk. You might be all right in the first few days, because so many people are trying to leave all at once, so you can blend in. But I mean after that you'll become a target most likely.

But thats really only for a situation with no government id guess. If a natural disaster or something id leave beforehand (if you can) and go vacation somewhere for a week or two, or whatever you need to do. Preferably your prepping your bank account too, so in a situation like this, you could find somewhere with greener grass. I mean people do this all the time on a much smaller scale. If it gets really hot, people usually move north and then in the winter go down to the south.
>>
>>33444098
>So what are some things to look out for when looking for a new apartment or dwelling innacity.
If you live in the city and some kind of two or three month long or longer SHTF you are already dead, nothing but the pain and suffering is left.
>>(1)preferably on the highest floor and with a balcony, so I can put a dualband ham radio antenna on the roof and get good range
>>(2)Balcony is also for cooking food. Higher floor means less people can see me or smell the food
1 and 2 are things you may be doing weeks after the great happening of your life time, I will get into that in my second post
>>not so high that I can't rappel down from the balcony
Really hunnie?
>>Maybe facing east and get some sunshine for solar
Solar is good and not something you will ever get going after S HTF
>>Nothing on the ground floor at least
Underground is best
inB4 we dig we die we dig again

The rest of your post is solid but you can't get real answers when you start with an incomplete question. No one phrases the opening questions right in prepper threads here.

WHAT HAPPENED???
The is the million dollar question.
/first post ITT
>>
>inB4 muh doomsday preppers
Unless we talk in a much more specific about SHTF no one who knows things can give real advice. Are we talking about a power outage in a big city like NYC or LA or Chiraq or an ice storm that cripples New England for two weeks? Cali gets ass raped by the biggest earth in recorded history or the super caldera goes BOOM?

I was born into a prepper family decades ago. I can provide for the nutritional, medicinal and mental needs for my immediate family of four completely for well over 18 months. We already grow and can much of our food and can easily make that 100% of our needs if need be. We have two years of long term shelf life foods and meds stored and enough water for drinking, cleaning and for proper hygiene for 6 moths, a water source and the means to purify ten times the water we use a day now, when it's all good.

I will be ITT for the next few hours, ask me what you will.

TL;DR
I'm a prepper, ask me anything

Future posts will as toasting inna prepper bread
>>
>>33444098
>>33445627
You did Gods work with that pastebin..still working on the wiki?
>https://pastebin.com/raw/FhKXrmYh
>>
>>33451013
Honestly I don't know what happened to thee wiki, the pastebin is being done by Dutch and the PDF I'm working on is now up to page 100.
>>
>>33444098
Invest in a moped. 80 miles with gear is a long ride.
>>
File: IMG_1028.jpg (41KB, 513x399px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1028.jpg
41KB, 513x399px
>>33451211
Pic

Just buy a cheap one and accessorize!
>>
>>33451164
I remember now. Shit 100 pages? Do you foresee any copyright problems if it was posted on a website?
Did that anon ever decide what kind of format or a final name for the website he was going to start?
>>
File: moped-010.jpg (105KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
moped-010.jpg
105KB, 800x600px
>>33451285
When you said moped I was thinking of something like this and was giggling to myself imagining this guy in camo, armed and carrying a massive ruck buzzing along on it.
>>
File: IMG_1029.jpg (129KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1029.jpg
129KB, 675x900px
>>33451313
I was thinking more along these lines but I like the motorized bicycle too.
>>
File: IMG_20170327_225732_908.jpg (108KB, 720x1105px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170327_225732_908.jpg
108KB, 720x1105px
>>33451294
Not particularly, all information that I have sourced are recorded and I will list it, however nothing is directly copied, it's all my own words at this point. Almost all the illustrations in it are done by me and the ones that aren't are placeholders until I get around to doing it. As far as I'm aware that shouldn't breach any copyright issues.

Pic related
>>
>>33451504
I realised that first bit sounds retarded, what I meant is any information that I have used as sources have recorded.
>>
>>33451520
Fuck it even that sounds retarded but I'm tired so I don't care.
>>
>>33451535
lol, get some sleep then.
So what should the wiki be named?
>>
>>33451657
I don't really know, I mean I have an email that I'm using for most correspondence regarding the PDF if anyone is interested, I'm probably going to use it for proof readers etc.
>>
>>33444098
to be honest in the area where i live no building are higher than 2 floors so that list is decent. All the towns where i live are small so just imagine a setting like the walking dead tale tale video game.

I think i would sooner live inna trailer with a buddy to be honest.

Doesnt matter when SHTF hits for me, i have to run around collecting family. so i cant wait two weeks. None are more than a 40 minute drive away but two live in the state capital and one is downtown.

on the upside i recently experience a natural disaster with a state wide flood. I had to ride around delivering water to family members. I think it gave me a little experience.

Ive started building some emergency gear the last year or two. I just tested a portable propane stove today.
>>
Also im just curious
if im >>33451835 the only one who has been downloading and printing off infographics?

I started with a few declassified OSS manuals now i want to print off some more.
>>
>>33451873
I tried doing that but it just because overcomplicated and tonnes of useless info, so that's why I'm making the PDF to streamline.

Anywho I'm off to bed I'll be back tomorrow at 7am central.
>>
>>33451685
Was just making conversation, no need for that pic.
>>
>>33451932
but in SHTF what are you going to down when power goes out?
>>
>>33451835
How will you know if shit is really going to hit the fan? Honest question. How will you tell the difference between a short power outage and your area or state or worse going dark for months?
>>
>>33451968
there is no honest answer. I didnt think there would be a flood. I ended up 30 minutes in opposite direction of family to find water. Then i spent 2 hours driving through debris and taking back roads to get to the family.
>>
>>33451993
Floods are rough, living in or near a dense city population makes them worse. Shit dense city populations make everything worse.

Has the recent flood change the way you are prepping?
>>
>>33452025
More water and plans to get vehicle with higher clearance and a wench

I live on high ground compared to the areas around me. I just need to get everyone else up here with me. If its not flooding I will move faster toward hunting club as bugout place. Its surrounded by farms and a plant nursery. It also has food plots and alot of back roads.

Honestly a natural disaster is best option, people board up their homes when snows or a hurricane hits and stay in for a few days.
>>
>>33452113
>More water and plans to get vehicle with higher clearance and a wench
Yea those are both important. You learning how to treat shitty water for drinking? It's not hard to make pretty bad water potable but floods can get filthy with chemical contaminants.

I have coved all the bases I can afford to cover, next is an underground shelter for tornadoes. I could go cheap but I want space for food, water etc. Just keep important papers, heirloom type shit what ever else so that is going to cost. Should be able to do it next year.
>>
>>33452340
>You learning how to treat shitty water for drinking? It's not hard to make pretty bad water potable but floods can get filthy with chemical contaminants.
no not really, but i think the highground will have fresh clean water in the creeks. It wont be the best shit but i know how to build one filter from a barrel and charcoal/sand and what nots.
>>
>>33452474
There are a bunch of ways and we practice at least once a month with 5 or ten gallons from a creek we have about 60 yards out the back door.
I noticed a while back that when the creek is high the water alwasy has a checmical taste so we keep hundreds of gallons alreqady home treated.
It's not hard but there are steps you have to take. Lots of info online about which plastic bottles you can't reuse because of chemical leaching and shit.
>>
>>33444098
>rappel

Get one of those chain ladders for emergency egress from upstairs apartments. Not very bulky, you just drop it over the edge and let it unroll.
>>
>>33452947
More people get sent to the ER from them things than get burnt up in fires. Falling off just trying to get a start on them is damn near impossible when you practice so what do you think is going to happen when you have a quart of adrenaline just dumped in you bloodstream.
>>
>>33445627
That's a good idea.. Unless it's really big-time SHTF end of the world as we know it for a foreseeable time, its bug-in. Otherwise gettin' out of dodge. Been looking at getting my motorcycle license instead of a car, make use of it's urban maneuverability .

It's nothing really set up for SHTF by any means as of now. The cabin is currently still owned by my grandparents and the woods it's in is collectively owned by our family. The cabin will eventually go to me, at which point I'll be able to start moving my preps in there and start building a food storage.

It's got a waterpump and a toilet, 4 old beds, gas range, wood stove, and an old car battery for lights. One the first things on the list is a 12V solar battery tender/charger to keep it topped off.

>>33450692
>what happened
A sane prepper doesn't pay attention to the million things that could happen. It's just too widespread between the different calamities and too much gray area speculation quickly leaning towards conspiracy theories or highly scientific causes that are hard to test, which causes many disagreements to the possible effects (I'm talking about EMP here)

You should look at the effects that could happen due to the SHTF event, they stay mainly the same regardless of what caused it. Just mainly a long lasting state- or nationwide black out for starters, other critical infrastructures like drinking water but also including social order and unavailability of emergency services follow soon after that.

>rappel
>Really hunnie
Don't really see what your point is.
If I live 4-6 floors up in my next dwelling, and I could spend 200 bucks for a rappeling harness and some rope, I think I'd seriously consider that as an alternative way to get out of there. Or an emergency ladder like >>33452947 said

>>33450835
Cool, sucks I fell asleep right before this thread picked up

>>33451013
Thanks, I too haven't heard anything about the wiki

>>33451285
yeah looked at that or a motorcycle
>>
>>33451873
Infographics are shite m8. They sometimes even contain wrong or dangerous information, not to mention often a whole lot of useless BS. I think you should first start off with the pastebin and wait on the PDF for more in-depth topics

>>33451968
>>33451993
I start my clock as soon as the electrical grid goes down. Within the first 2 hours I might not really pay attention to it, unless I don't have anything else to do. If available, I might use my cellphone to check Twitter or other websites to check the size of the affected area and some early info as to what might have caused it. Until the 2 hours mark, I assume it's a regular outage due to maintenance or technical glitch unless previous information has refuted this. After 3 hours it's time to really find out what has caused it and how long it's going to last. I could use emergency FM broadcast stations or ham radio frequencies to listen to for that.

If it's any larger than the city I'm in and it's going to last longer than 12 hours, I start my bug-in procedure. That goes the same, except for it starting the bug-in immediately, if I would find out it was caused intentionally by hackers or some other government fucking about, or NATO getting fucked by Russia. Since I live in Europe an' all.

When I start the bug-in procedure I follow the Standard Operating Procedure as described in the Pastebin.
>>
>>33451954
I'm planing on printing out the PDF or maybe making it into a book.
>>
>>33454408
Another thing that people could look for is the scale. One tell tale sign that it's something more serious than just a simple power outage is how far reaching it is. If you can look out your window and see that there is no lights around you but you can still see the glow of other lights (either my seeing them or the light pollution that cities give off) then it's probably not to serious. If EVERYTHING goes down you will see a level of darkness that you are probably not used to in a city.

One thing I would mention for those with bug out bags, make sure you have it in an easily accessable place. Should something happen and you get plunged into total darkness you don't want to be rummaging around in the pitch black, destroying your shins on furniture trying to find it.
>>
>>33451873
Start working on building a reference library. Real books that you can read by candlelight if necessary. Back it up with electronic copies, but you want to have in-depth knowledge available that's accessible when the power is off.
>>
>>33453533
The alternative that anon mentioned is rappelling. Is that really any safer, given that there's probably not going to be regular practice?
>>
>>33450692
>WHAT HAPPENED???
>The is the million dollar question.

Why? It doesn't matter what the cause is, any shtf event is still going to impact the same things: food, water, shelter, security, and health.
>>
>>33455347
While this is true, different events require different plans, there's no "one size fits all" you have to look at what will most likely effect you. Your plan for a tornado beelining towards your home will likely not be the same plan that you would use for a blizzard, however it likely won't be the same plan for another disasters.

You should have a solid plan for the most common eventualities in your area, however you should also have contingency plans for other eventualities as well as alternative for these plans.while yes they may share the same thread and rely on the six pillars of survival. They will all have their own individual traits whether that's to bug in or bug out, how long you may bug in for, what you'll take, is it a temporary departure or permanent.

These are all things that need to be considered.
>>
If anyone is interested in taking a glance at the PDF so far you can drop me an email.

Prepperpdf at Gmail dot com

Any critiques or comments welcome, or if you just want to call me a faggot, you know that's fine as well.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.