[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MEG Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 36

File: IMG_0680.jpg (106KB, 720x513px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0680.jpg
106KB, 720x513px
Continuing the old one
>>
/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

Assisting OP edition

old thread: >>33411568
>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
>>33440810
Appreciate breh
>>
reposting from previous thread
Any Canadian /k/ommandos here? I live in Ottawa and I want to join the army reserves, which is the best unit?
>>
Posted this in last thread but got no answer. I was disenrolled from ROTC for disciplinary reasons after I had already contracted. They said I it constituted a discharge from service but I never got a DD214. Since it's technically a training program I'm not sure where this puts me. I still want to serve, will this prevent me from enlisting in the army?
>>
>>33440887
The main options are
>THE CAMERON HIGHLANDERS OF OTTAWA (DUKE OF EDINBURGH'S OWN)
>THE GOVERNOR GENERAL'S FOOT GUARDS
>30 FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT
and a couple french and support units
>>
File: 1429591336118.gif (137KB, 188x199px) Image search: [Google]
1429591336118.gif
137KB, 188x199px
Pretty simple question. I leave for Navy bootcamp in a few weeks to become a corpsman.

>How is basic training?
>How should I prepare?
>Any corpsman on here who can tell me about there job?
>Should I go FMF?

Also, on a separate note, I want to join the official Navy boxing team, how would I go about doing that and is it feasible to do so without interupting my duties to much?

Thanks for the help, I am of course slightly nervous but I plan on taking full advantage of Uncle Sam, will enjoy my time in as much as allowed. I also want to make sure I'm prepared so I don't go into both bootcamp or the job with my head in my ass and no clue. Thanks.
>>
>>33440939
best bet is to just call a recruiter
>>
>>33441028
Yes you should go fmf.

Trust me.

>start your career doing cool shit
>end it in an office, respected for your experience and deployments

Or

>start your career in an office
>end your career in an office
>>
File: 13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg (822KB, 1330x800px) Image search: [Google]
13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg
822KB, 1330x800px
If you aint infantry, you aint shit.
>>
Thoughts on 18x /k?. Shipping out in two weeks, ex college professor.
>>
File: 1455134006062.jpg (41KB, 309x309px) Image search: [Google]
1455134006062.jpg
41KB, 309x309px
>>33441299
How is peacetime infantry today? I'm definitely considering signing on for an 11x option 4 contract, however a couple of my friends in the Army say the infantry of today are just glorified janitors.
>>
Can anybody tell me about Civil Affairs and Psy Ops?
>>
>>33441028
>FMF?
>>
I'm considering being a cook in the Navy. Is this a bad idea?
>>
>>33442485
do you like cooking?
>>
How fucked am if I have Addison's?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addison%27s_disease
>>
>>33442534
>An "Addisonian crisis" or "adrenal crisis" is a constellation of symptoms that indicates severe adrenal insufficiency. This may be the result of either previously undiagnosed Addison's disease, a disease process suddenly affecting adrenal function (such as adrenal hemorrhage), or an intercurrent problem (e.g., infection, trauma) in someone known to have Addison's disease. It is a medical emergency and potentially life-threatening situation requiring immediate emergency treatment.

>Treatment for Addison's disease involves replacing the missing cortisol, sometimes in the form of hydrocortisone tablets, or prednisone tablets in a dosing regimen that mimics the physiological concentrations of cortisol. Alternatively, one-quarter as much prednisolone may be used for equal glucocorticoid effect as hydrocortisone. Treatment is usually lifelong. In addition, many patients require fludrocortisone as replacement for the missing aldosterone.

>People with Addison's are often advised to carry information on them (e.g., in the form of a MedicAlert bracelet or information card) for the attention of emergency medical services personnel who might need to attend to their needs.[16][17] It is also recommended that a needle, syringe, and injectable form of cortisol be carried for emergencies.[17] People with Addison's disease are advised to increase their medication during periods of illness or when undergoing surgery or dental treatment.[17] Immediate medical attention is needed when severe infections, vomiting, or diarrhea occur, as these conditions can precipitate an Addisonian crisis. A patient who is vomiting may require injections of hydrocortisone instead.[18]

not gonna make it
>>
File: Sad_Pepe.png (65KB, 1092x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Sad_Pepe.png
65KB, 1092x1037px
>>33442579
Thought so
>>
>>33442495
yeah
>>
>>33441645
Gonna sign an infantry contract next week. Fuck it, I want the combat training even if I never get to use it in a real conflict. But the way the world is we might have some shit happening in the near future. I feel like it would be a cop out to join the army and not be a "real" soldier. I've had desk jobs before and I don't like it.
>>
>>33442598

Why do you want to do Navy over other branches, or over culinary school?
>I cant afford culinary school/college and want the GI bill, I want to travel, I want the better chow that Navy gets, I like boats, military life appeals to me but I have no interest in combat arms

Yes, do it
>>
>>33442590
Sorry, anon.
>>
>>33442821
Marin Crops, shipmate.

You don't wanna be that guy in the lamest branch, do you?
>>
>>33442824
>I want the better chow that Navy gets

That's a meme, underway food blows fat hard cocks. It's "Rejected by Federal Prison System"
>>
>>33443139
But i don't like eating crayons
>>
>>33443173

Marine corps is definitely not for you then. A marine's field rations consist of 30% crayons
>>
>>33443197
>>33443173
Dont forget about the freedom paste
>>
>>33443202

Marine corps recruiter: you have the freedom to eat as much glue and crayons as you want! All you can eat!
Marine: And the dress blues are a chick magnet too right?!
>>
>>33441299
This

FUCK POGS
>>
File: pogs.jpg (263KB, 540x361px) Image search: [Google]
pogs.jpg
263KB, 540x361px
>>33443321
What did pogs ever do to you?
>>
Do I go Security Forces or TACP /k/?
>>
Well shit, I'm 28 and have done nothing productive with my life het, would it make any sense to join for a 4 year stint in the army as a 68w so I can get out and use the GI bill to become a paramedic? I want to live near home due to family, but I need to do something.
>>
are army or marine snipers still a thing? do they see combat often ?
>>
>>33443321
You ever get tired of that massive inferiority complex
>>
File: hd_mk12mod0.jpg (31KB, 997x332px) Image search: [Google]
hd_mk12mod0.jpg
31KB, 997x332px
>>33443485
>I want to live near home due to family, but I need to do something.
Join the Guard or Reserve and become a 68W, look up your states benefits and who know you might finish you paramedic stuff and want to be a Physicians Assistant
>>
>>33443520
He's just mad he never picks up
>>
So /k/, if you join the National Guard do you actually get tuition assistance as easily as everyone claims? I'm strongly considering joining the Air National Guard and was wondering how often people get screwed on getting tuition money, living expense, etc.
Yes, I have read as much as I can about it but none of the sources are very clear about what happens.
>tl;dr
Is becoming a nasty girl a good way to pay for school, and how does it work?
>>
>>33441638
You better be able to march 20 miles with a 100 pound pack and have an entirely clean history champ.
>>
>>33443614
Find an Air National Guard recruiter and ask them, or look up your states benefit program. Most states are super generous towards the national guard and will pay for their college
>>
Applied to West Point, but if that falls through I'm gonna go National Guard to ROTC route. What's my best bet for M3 Bradley? There's a NG cavalry squadron near where I would go to college.
>>
Does anyone know anything about the Coast Guard's aviation side? How competitive is it? I'm highly interested in flying for them as I'm trying to fly for search and rescue in the future. I'll have 5 years prior as an enlisted Marine if that a bonus or detriment.
>>
>>33443636
Alright, that's good to know. I'm asking here to get straight answers from people who have actually done this, because several of my friends have been fucked over in various ways before, during, and after their enlistments. I'd rather not have a recruiter lie to me about what I consider one of the most important reasons for joining. As long as there's guaranteed tuition, the rest is no problem.
>>
Do they look art your medical records for TS clearance
>>
>>33444248
>Do they look art your medical records for TS clearance
Yes they look for any little doodles the Dr. might have drawn on you're medical records.
>>
>>33444248
What are you trying to hide? They'll question people you grew up with about medical conditions so if you had asthma as a kid your elementary school teacher might tell them about it. Things like that. They won't catch everything obviously but they'll look around for significant things.
>>
>>33441299
read : infantry is shit
if god loves infantry, sky would be brown.
oh wait, in many places it is.
>>
>>33444268
Only my parents and maybe my siblings know about it, and it was some mental health stuff when I was 13 so I doubt they even remember
>>
>>33444299
Well you should generally always make sure to tell your family not to say anything negative about you. No matter how minor. If it's just your family and you're on good terms them you should be good.

They're not looking for that kind of stuff, not if you fell off your bike and scraped your knee or had any minor things like that. When they tell you to "tell us everything" they mean the serious stuff and something that has a record. So having a brief episode at 13 isn't what they're looking for if that's the extent of it.
>>
I was diagnosed with ADHD in middle school, but I've been off my meds for about six years (since I graduated high school) so I could probably just fucking lie and say I don't have it, should I?
>>
File: grunt.jpg (33KB, 528x293px) Image search: [Google]
grunt.jpg
33KB, 528x293px
>>33443321
>POGS
its pogues
infantry think its an acronym for "People Other than Grunts"
how fuggin' stupid is that.
would'nt that be POTG instead?
oh wait, we're dealin' with the infantry here, okay.
>>
>>33441028
Boot camp is easy, keep your mouth shut, do as you're told and get used to being treated like a child, it won't stop after boot.
Go fmf, otherwise you're just handing out aspirin to hypochondriacs all day.
Boxing team is probably all officers recruited into it, wouldn't get your hopes up.
>>
>>33442485
Bad idea.
CS are dumbest of the dumb, 90% black
The rest Pinos and that one white guy who thought cooking would be fun but now hates his life
>>
>>33444444
nice get
>>
>>33443662
Aviation is always competitive. Do you have a degree with a GPA of 3.5+ and perfect eyesight?
>>
>>33444444
>>33444478
Embarassing samefag
>>
>>33441028
I'm going to be in a similar boat to this anon. Getting my associates degree first, will this help or is it a waste of time.
>>
>>33444536
You'll come out of boot as an e2, which you get automatically after 6 months.
So yeah you're getting a 2 year degree to save 6 months
>>
>>33444689
In no other way will it help at all.
>>
I'm keenly interested in learning more about MARSOC. Where can I find out more?
>>
>>33444536
more useful for army
>>
Step One:

Rack up 20,000 in student load debt getting a gen ed degree in three years.

Step Two:

Enlist in Air National Guard

Step Three:

Qualify for and choose 4A2X1 - Biomedical Instrumentation tech.

Step Four - 8 weeks Basic, 1 year tech school.

Step five- upgrade like a motherfucker

step six, go repair MRI machines with a B.S. in Biomedical Science. Free of loans and pocket a bunch of drill monies over the next 4.5 years.

step six- civies be like, thx fer yer cervix.
>>
>>33445257
>>33440810

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too
>>
What MOS is coolest for the usmc?
>>
>>33445579
Sounds like a great plan.
What do you think about getting a BS before enlisting so I could be an officer and get my loans paid off by the gubment?
>>
Germanon here, thinking about joining the Bundeswehr for a voluntary one year enlistment where you go through basic training and basically become a reservist soldier. 0 possibility of being deployed outside of germany during that time and if the shit hits the fan (e.g. WW III) i want to be trained more than a few weeks.
My only fear is that, after mandatory enlistment was stopped in 2011, only chads and assholes will enlist voluntarily. I am not unfit for service at all, but im scared i will be the person always near the back of the group.

Any experiences from fellow non-chad, non-beta /k/ommandos?
>>
>>33444444
Ya'll gonna ignore those digits?
>>
File: 1383035705978.png (534KB, 642x459px) Image search: [Google]
1383035705978.png
534KB, 642x459px
>>33444444
>>33446087
NOPE
>>
>>33444444
HAHAHA GET A LOAD OF THIS POG FAGGOT HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAA
>>
What is this meme of people acting like being proud of your service is pathetic?
>>
>>33446566

It's one thing to be proud of your accomplishments and to take pride in your service. It's another thing to treat it like a high school sports rivalry.
>>
>Wasn't old enough for afghanistan
>joined canadian army during peacetime
>hate life
We've been getting cockteased about going to Africa for a while now but I don't think it will ever happen bros just kill me now
>>
>>33443351
Do you like checking ids? Then security forces is the life for you!
>>
are AO's in the navy really the completely untolerable and subhuman pompous asses that theyre made out to be?
i hear nobody likes those guys.
>>
File: 1487690804946.jpg (63KB, 540x714px) Image search: [Google]
1487690804946.jpg
63KB, 540x714px
>Woah there buddy, want in? Better show me some combat ribbons first
>>
>>33446787
I've heard the same, loud and obnoxious.
>>
>>33442479
Fleet Marine Force

He wants to be doc for the paste eaters
>>
>>33447298
Only way to go. From what I've heard if you're stationed at a hospital you the little bitch for the nurses.
>>
a good series i found in regards to the navy is a docu-series produced by mel gibson and pbs called "Carrier".
YouTube pbs carrier and you can find the playlist for the whole series. thought it was neat.
>>
File: 1475526136121.jpg (47KB, 723x587px) Image search: [Google]
1475526136121.jpg
47KB, 723x587px
Does anyone have experience with 1a9x1 special missions aviation?
Do students have any influence on which airframe they get assigned to?
Any gripes about the daily life?
>>
I chose CTR at meps because I had to choose between that or machinist mate. Did I fuck up
>>
>>33447787
No. You picked intel. You can go to shore duty and pick up quick or go to the ship and sham like a mofo
>>
File: Exists.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
Exists.gif
2MB, 235x240px
>>33441293
>>33444446
>>33447344
Thanks for the info fellas, it's greatly appreciated. From what I've routinely heard, including my personal friends who are in the Navy, boot camp is pretty damn easy as long as you're a good runner and you can fold clothes easily without fucking up. I should be OK. As far as boxing goes, I won't get my hopes up too much, it was more of a side dream I had if I re-enlist and want to do some cooler stuff besides maybe SWCC or one of those program (if it's available to corpsman). Other then that, I probably will be going FMF with the marines, it's spoken of highly.

My only questions are for those who are corpsmans, specifically FMF. I was just curious on what my job might look like, and what deployments look like as well.

I understand it's a serious job and I'll be stuck with marines, which is perfectly fine, but at the end of the day I'm still a young guy who wants to travel around and sleep with foreign girls, it's why I joined the Navy. I don't want to be stuck in bumfuck Georgia or something so I do want to figure out if being a marine doc is a dead end job in that regard, or if there will be opportunities to move around. Again thanks for any info.
>>
Hey can anyone tell me how much it pays to be in the armed forces? I heard it wasn't good, but I don't really think that any of the people who told me this considered the fact that when you're in the military you don't have to worry about things like groceries, rent, or utilities. Can someone who knows what they're talking about help me out?
>>
>>33448109

Depends on the country. Assuming you're talking about the US enlisted compensation, it's really not bad. Promotions and pay raises are rapid-fire for the first 2 years or so and you end up going from $1600/mo~ to about $2200/mo over the first two years. It averages out to roughly $2k/mo over that timeframe. That's $11~/hr in the civilian world, so not bad at all for a job you can do right out of High School. Of course that doesn't count the fact that you get free (usually shitty) meals and free (usually shitty) shelter/utilities. The end result is that while you're not taking home a ton of money...you end up with like $1400/mo expendable income. Usually in the civilian world you don't have over a thousand bucks in monthly fun money until you're making >$20/hr.

Officer compensation is obviously even better, as is enlisted compensation if you have a family or some rank.
>>
What do most enlisted single people do in the military when they're not working
>>
>>33448510

Same thing that single young people with paychecks everywhere do.
>>
>>33445579
>doing national guard ever
Even if I do end up a suicidal drunk for enlisting in active duty, at least I wont be a pussy
>>
>>33444444
[soft clapping that doesn't intensify]
>>33446087
>>33446112
4chan is truly dead. I got banned for starting a couple caturday threads a few saturdays ago. Can you believe a three day ban for starting 2.. just 2 threads on /b/ in the same day as a spammer? Banned for fucking starting fucking caturday threads!
>>
>>33448709
>4chan is truly dead
To many newfag janitors that don't understand the culture.

Got banned for mentioning the pairs attacks on /int/ when it happened and told that belongs on /pol/. Did not even say anything politically charged. /int/ has become a general board now.
>>
>>33448510
grow weed and drink on weekends
>>
Went and talked with an army recruiter today about maybe joining the reserves to pay for a bit of college. Asked for a bit of time to think, dude wants to drive me to MEPS in three fucking days, told me to text him tomorrow morning. Is that... normal?
>>
>>33449114
I hate this gay earth so much, it's why I'm drinking myself to death as fast as I can.
>>
>>33449130
If its just to take the asvab its no big deal
>>
My friend wants to know are there random / scheduled drug tests in the military?
>>
>>33449130
If it's not an overnight thing at the hotel it's not for the physical but just to do the asvab. Yeah that's normal. I personally did PICAT and then went down to meps for a verification. It's pretty standard.
>>
>>33445805
>Sounds like a great plan.
>What do you think about getting a BS before enlisting so I could be an officer and get my loans paid off by the gubment?

Its like running a reverse GI Bill, and its the ONLY way to play the game. Bonus points for majoring in a demand field with a 20k signing bonus.

CAPTCHA: Carrer Avenue
>>
>>33449127
T. Ft. Carson
>>
File: 1485057277962.jpg (253KB, 1242x1534px) Image search: [Google]
1485057277962.jpg
253KB, 1242x1534px
Been doing some research about Psyop in the Army.

I graduated with a degree dual degree in Economics and Public Relations 4 years ago. Somehow ended up working in IT the past couple of years.

Is it a good MOS to go into? Officer route worth going or better shot doing the more high speed shit going enlisted?
>>
>>33444395
Bumping, same boat.
>>
>>33447352
Looks cool, i'll give it a watch. Thanks mate
>>
>>33440743
I need some quick help. I think my recruiter is pulling a fast one on me.
He tells me I need to pick an MOS from a list he's provided to me by tonight, he says I can't be in the DEP without a job picked, despite me being in the DEP for over a month. None of them are the five fields I picked. He also says my shipped date was bumped up to May 8th despite the Gunny and I talking about explicitly pushing my date to October so I can get some personal and home affairs sorted out.
He says that the job I pick tonight is going to be temporary and he's going to "jump through hoops" to get me Intel. But I've read some of these thread that you're supposed to put your foot down and say "I won't sign unless it's the MOS I want"
What should I do?
>>
>>33449859
He says he need my reply in thirty minutes.
That doesn't seem quite right to me. Could someone with enlisting experience please help me?
>>
>>33449859
>He says that the job I pick tonight is going to be temporary
That's a lie.
Tell him to fuck off and find a new recruiter.
>>
>>33449933
these digits are neato.
>>
>>33449806
I don't have the words to describe how happy this picture makes me feel.
>>
>>33449933
This.
>>
>>33445579
Air force here, a few years back biomedical was getting people force retrained or booted out cause of overmanning.
>>
File: Pepe98.gif (582KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe98.gif
582KB, 500x375px
I have pearly penis papules is this going to be a problem enlisting in army
>>
>>33443173
>implying any grunt doesn't eat crayons
>>
>>33449933
>>33449985
Okay thank you.
I'm going to tell him I don't feel comfortable picking an MOS I know nothing about on such short notice. And then tomorrow I'll talk to Gunny of our recruiting area and explain to him the situation.
How do I get a new recruiter? Like what is the process like if you're already in the delayed entry program?
>>
Hey /meg/ do you all have any tips for passing the Army APFT? I have about 2 weeks and need a training schedule or general running tips to improve running and other events now that I have time to myself at my duty station.
>>
>>33450055
Alan Thrall has a really good sprint workout he just posted about that would help a weebit
>>
>>33449319
yes you fucking idiot
>>
>>
>>33449806

not entry level for enlisted
>>
>>33450239
settle down big boi
>>
>>33450055
What weapon am I looking at double dubs?
>>
>>33450032
You go to another recruiting station. Tell them what happened at the last one and what you want. Be firm they want you.
>>
>>33450360
That is an m92fs with wooden grips and a compensator.

thats triple doubles to you pal
>>
>>33450032
Go to another office I guess. Tell them where you are at in the process. Never had to deal with shit like this, I'm also in DEP right now waiting to sign a contract after I passed my physical but my recruiter is on the same page as me so I feel confident. If you get any bad vibes from your recruiter then switch. You're going to sign away years of your life, so don't let them sucker you into anything. If it's the army you get to choose your mos. if your recruiter says otherwise he's trying to trick you.
>>
>>33450032
If you have not signed anything, then you have not signed anything. You can walk away and go to another recruiting station. Go to one another town over if you have to. Don't let them put you in a MoS you dont want just to to help them fill a quota.
>>
File: 1474865519799.jpg (210KB, 619x2081px) Image search: [Google]
1474865519799.jpg
210KB, 619x2081px
What's the best branch for skilled labor that translates to civilian life? Like welding, pipe fitting, etc.
>>
>>33450813
navy, hands down, unless you're in something like the army engineer corps.
>>
Any Navy AW's here tonight?
>>
Hi guys, currently in the Air Force DEP. Need a little advice. I signed a contract for Aircraft Armament Systems, how is this job?
>>
do army or marine snipers see combat as much as rangers, sf?? are they embedded with them ? do they need clearance?
>>
>>33451686
Not in the Air Force, but I remember talking with an Air Force recruiter who was ordnance and he said it was pretty fun. AOs in the Navy are known for being obnoxious, proud assholes.
>>
>>33451686
Sounds like your gonna be either ammo, dealing with shit in the warehouse, or flight line loading weapons onto planes. Cushy job, depending on where your stationed, what air frame you get. Pray you don't get a nuke base, they do exercises all the damned time, shit sucks
>>
>>33451757
Thanks, got another question, my recruiters have been pushing me to try to pass the PAST test for TACP. I kind of was curious about how I'd do, on my first attempt I passed everything but the running, I was several seconds away, I have one more attempt left. Is a battlefield Airman job worth it? I know it would be cool but what would I be missing out on if I didn't stick with my original contract? Any info you got on how the life of a TACP would be like?
>>
>>33451686
Our weapons guys were honestly the dumbest people on the flight line.
>Drove 15 minutes to other side of runway for redball, didn't bring tools
>Ran a weapons check with unsafe bombs on board, because the guy didn't know how to safe them after being there over a year.
>At one point the entire shop was banned from running ground because a guy stood there watching an APU fire and didn't say anything.
Please don't suck at your job
>>
>>33440743
>See this in catalog
>flashback to just getting out of highschool and all the insane shit the recruiter told me to get me to enlist
>"Yeah you can totally work in music here, no problem."
>"dude I'm just a metal head who only knows guitar, what on earth could that possibly be relevant for in the military?"
>"You could play percussion in the marine band!"
>politely decline

Fast forward 4 years and next thing I know I'm part of the stage audio crew for the official Army rock band at a boy scout festival. Not the same branch but I guess he wasn't completely fucking insane after all.
>>
>>33452096
Has there ever been any sort of freak accidents happen in this career field? Like, I mean, the job is basically working with highly, explosive, hazardous, (thermonuclear perhaps???) , weaponry. Has anyone ever accidentally detonated something? just curious about job safety..
>>
>>33452202
i live literally with my backyard facing barksdale air force base. i watch B52s perform exercises everyday Let me give you an example of what not to do.

google "minot nuclear incident"
this was a big deal and ultimately a total shitshow.
>>
Been talking to my recruiter for a week. Alright guy but seems a bit pushy. Talked to him last Friday and he's already scheduled an overnight visit to MEPS to where I'll take both the ASVAB and choose my job, which will be happening next week. Things seem to be moving too fast, I'd like to ship out to basic by at least August so my family can attend graduation since they'd like to come. Can I get my recruiter to reschedule this trip and delay basic as well?
>>
>>33452202
Worked B1's, one night a jet lands and blows a hydraulic line, shit gets on the brakes and catches fire with 24 2000lb bombs on board. Fire departments protocol for armed jets is to step back and watch it burn. Spent night on top of portable watching the bombs cook off.

https://youtu.be/Dy4m0GhuWus
>>
>crippling why bladder syndrome
>haven't peed around other people in years
>MEPS on Wednesday
wat do
>>
>>33448101

Military Medical does not transfer into Civilian at all.

All the medics are sad sacks of shit because you need to re-train as a civilian medic to get any sort of work other than working at a military hospital which is boring af from what i've heard.
>>
File: 1480894886313.gif (2MB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
1480894886313.gif
2MB, 288x288px
Since it's peacetime what's infantry like for either marines or army?

I don't wanna deploy and pull janitor duty in Germany or some other boring NATO country. At least in the Navy I could travel and become a corpsman but that's boring in my opinion.

Do we still get to shoot at towelheads?

If not I'll just cop out and go 68w. I don't wanna go outright because from what I've heard you still need to re-train for civilian work (paramedics).
>>
>>33453580
Guys gonna watch you pee in cup, either you do it or go home, just that simple. After the ball squeezing, butt hole checking, and synchronized group duck walk in your underwear, pissing in a cup won't be all that awkward. On that note, make sure your underwears clean, we had some nasty fucks in my group
>>
>>33453631
>Its peacetime
>Do we still get to shoot at towelheads?
Gee sport, I dunno
>>
File: 1478672890480.png (960KB, 900x891px) Image search: [Google]
1478672890480.png
960KB, 900x891px
>>33453724
>Its peacetime
Is it?
Did the war on terror end?
I saw both candidates talking about how they would stop ISIS.
We really are not doing anything to fight them?
>>
>>33453724

>peacetime

We still have boots on the ground in mosul my dude
>>
>>33453747
troops in syria too. not talked about very much, but we have maybe 2k bodies there along with SEALs and MARSOC
>>
>>33452507
You can always say no, you have no obligation to do anything your recruiter tells you. But if you get your physical done now you can choose a contract for delayed entry to August. Just make damn sure you get that in writing on your contract. In general with the enlistment process nothing is official unless you have it written on a paper with a date and signature on it.
>>
>>33454426
Thanks, I appreciate it.
>>
>>33445805
When I joined officers didn't have a loan repayment program, just enlisted.
Still worth it to go officer, it's a better life and the difference in pay will make up for the lack of loan repayment.
Plus you still have the GI Bill if you want a grad degree
>>
>>33453747
>>33453744
>Guys we are still fighting!

Yeah, SOF is doing shit. We have conventional boots on the ground holding ground away from lines and oh boy we're sending a thousand of our brave boys to war torn Kuwait next month.

The military is in full "peacetime mode" when it comes to how things are being run. If you have a point of reference for how bases and training looked like during the mid-2000s compared to now, the difference is startling.

I know things are going to bullshit because people are saying the phrase "deploying to Kuwait" and "deploying to Bagram" and not getting punched in the mouth by some dude sitting next to them.

Right now maybe 1% of dudes in the line are going overseas, and maybe 1% of those guys are going to see the enemy. The rest are going to get mortared one time and tell their grandkids about it forever.
>>
>>33448101
With fmf you train with Marines, wherever they go you go.
But if you stay in long enough it's a lot easier to go fmf to ship/hospital than the other way around
>>
>>33448109
When you're on deployment it adds up nice, if your stuck at home for a long time it's not too great but you can still save if you're smart enough not to drink it away.
>>
>>33448109
You can look up the pay chart yourself. It is fairly low, but you're right that you don't have many normal bills. No rent or utilities aside from paying for your own phone and internet. You get a yearly stipend to buy uniforms, but it usually falls short of what's required, so count buying new uniforms as a loss.

You don't pay for your medical services, but Army medical service is kinda crap. At least you save a lot if you wear glasses.

Overall, I'd say 3/4 of the pay you get is free to spend on non-essentials.

The big bennies are the benefits you get after you get out. You get the GI Bill, which can pay out a lot. You get various discounts for life from banks and loan offices even. You get VA coverage (which sucks, but at least you're always covered by something). There are a lot of places which are involved in hiring veterans, which can bump you up on a hiring list against a civilian with similar credentials.
>>
>>33451513
Navy HTs do shitty little welds on non critical components. Other than that they are plumbers fixing clogs and hooking up shit lines to port.
It is not a glamorous job.
Time would be better spent signing up with a union and becoming an apprentice
>>
>>33451672
No but it's a great job if you are smart and fit.
>>
Should I go rifleman or cavalry with the ADF.
I'm not a very smart man, as if considering rifleman wasn't a big enough giveaway
>>
>>33443321
68W here please don't hate me desu
>>
>>33453600
Gotcha, but I'm not going into medical after the military, doing film and production shit, this is just a side gig to travel around and save my money. If I were to hyopthetically get into a rut however, I was hoping to at least maybe rely on the resume experience to do something at a hospital until I have my shit together, do you think that's possible or will that require training as well?
>>
>>33442824
I just wanted to do Navy because most of my family went Navy. I'm honestly considering the Coast Guard as of now as then there would actually be a decent chance I'd be able to spend time with my family now and again.
>>
>>33454746
Also when you go down to MEPS you will most likely get a lecture on negotiating contracts too. I got it 1 week ago when i did my physical. The officer there told us to NOT write an open contract and to make sure that you had everything you wanted specified. Don't get suckered into it. Then you'll end up driving the honey wagon or shit like that. You can go to do the medical and not sign a contract that day too, you can come back later when you're talked things through with your recruiter and family. I didn't sign after my physical, i'm going back next week to sign my contract.

Going to meps to do your physical is not binding. You can choose not to sign the papers when you're there.
>>
>>33442470
What you wanna know anon?
>>
File: 1390546571049.png (300KB, 500x398px) Image search: [Google]
1390546571049.png
300KB, 500x398px
What's Marine Corps Enlisted life like compared to that of a Marine Corps Officer?
>>
Is 37F a good MOS?
>>
Any reason to go army infantry over muhreen infantry?
>>
>>33456505
There is nothing exactly redeeming about going into 03 muhweens.

Army is better if you want better promotion, longer deployments, more places to be potentially deployed to, a lot of schools, and a better quality of life.

Marines is better if you like the muh pride, the few, the proud, the muhreens, shittier living conditions, shittier promotion, shittier food, short deployments (compared to Army), less places to get deployed to, less schools, and everything else the Army has but shittier.

Don't fall for the first to fight meme because that is not true at all.
>>
>>33456029
>Marine Corps Officer
I can't help but think of them as kindergarten supervisors in green.

I can't think of a worse job than child minding a platoon of marines. They must hate their charges.
>>
Been doing a lot of push ups over the past few weeks to get ready for BMT since I'm weak as shit.

But now I'm starting to get this dull ache in my wrists that persists for hours after doing any push ups. I don't know if this is due to some kind of injury or what. I ship out next week though, so I'm kind of worried about just completely stopping doing push ups to try and heal if it is an injury, since that would put me even further behind.

What should I do?
>>
>>33456732
>Air Force
>Push ups

You'll be fine. In the future, keep your body centered so that your weight isn't resting against the wrists -- kind of like a tilted house.
>>
What does /meg/ think of the Army's new Physical Assessment Test?
>>
>>33456732
You should never do pushups off your palms. puts way too much force on your wrists that doesn't need to be there.

Use pushup bars, or push off your fists (doesn't matter if your fists are "horizontal" or "vertical" use whatever is more comfortable).

t. scooby werkstatt
>>
>>33456254
Not entry level,
>>
>>33457280
I know, but is it worth pursuing after joining?
>>
Hey good evening /meg/ , about to head back to the states (been doing a pilgrimage / hike in spain for a month) and will very likely head to a recruiter. Never thought id be doing this, and i am totally open to what branch and job i will be performing but would love any advice / tips you have for me.

Background in Forestry / Logging / Wildland fire where i have mostly been a boot hauling and hiking all day, living in the woods so being miserable and working in a team is pretty natural. I have a good bit of leadership experience, having led a few cress and one summer i was squaddie to a vets only crew who really put it into my head to enlist. I have a degree (a meme degree in sociology and languages though) and am 26 yrs old. Most of the men in my family served, some goobers and some deployed, hurt and one in AFRICOM and they always told me not to enlist. Haha. Anyways i appreciate any tips or help.
>>
>>33456989
How many dicks have you sucked today, scoobs?
>>
>>33440743
Help me make a choice MEG
should I join coasties and strive to get into DOG
or should I follow my aspirations, go Navy, and strive for SEALs
>>
>>33457440
Was there an actual question here? What do you want to get out of serving in the armed forces?
>>
>>33456658
Thanks for the advice m8.
>>
>>33457576
Shit my bad forgot to include because im a phoneposting degenerate

1) Do i just walk right in to the recruiters office? What short of prep should i do, as in, besides basic homework on what i want to get out of it
2) Is Air Force really as cushy as the memes say? If i wanted to go "easymode" everyone has told me go USAF and "hardmode" being marines mostly due to shit jobs and shit life compared to "cushy" everything else but im never sure who to believe
3) I had a buddy who was TACP and i thought that was a pretty cool sounding gig, but "haha cool combat airmen" seem more like a meme and id far more likely end up working in a warehouse if i went AF
4) to answer your question, i would like to unironically serve my country, pay college denbts, learn some new skills / trades and the satisfaction of having done my time and also making the rest of mt life easier in some ways post-service
5) As far as jobs go, i would really like somethinf activr and in the field, whether that be combat or in a support role, whatever i can qualify myself for. My work so far has gotten me used to being and working outsode that being a desk jockey is a legitimate concern

I also have this gut feeling that ill always regret not serving when i could have.
>>
>>33457699

1. Get an idea of what job you want. Be ready to answer why you're interested in joining and what your timeline is like.

2. Easymode/hardmode usually implies there's some sort of increased reward for choosing the more difficult path. This isn't really true in the military. While being a marine tends to suck more, there's absolutely no upside to that suck. Army does more high-speed stuff and promotes faster, Air Force is more comfortable, Navy is somewhere between and gets to travel a lot.

3. "Combat Airmen" is a meme in the sense that it's a real thing that people do...but it's a tiny percentage of the branch compared to how often people bring it up.

5. Being a desk jockey is pretty much inevitable if you stay in for a while. Senior enlisted and officers alike spend a lot of time at a desk. The enjoyability of 99% of "outside" military jobs is also vastly overrated, so keep that in mind.
>>
>>33441299
>If you aint infantry, you aint shit.

this

GOD LOVES THE,
INFANTRY
>>
>>33457699
If you're a walk in you're gonna get some funny looks, that's normal. Most of the people who walk-ins aren't qualified but if you are then just stay with it. My recruiter had a bit of a "who the fuck is this clown knocking at my door" look when i first walked in.

You should in my opinion decide branch after what you want to do instead of going with air force for the sake of going air force. So look at the websites which branches have a job that appeals to you. I thought about air force too but ultimately went with Army because i found an MOS i liked.

If you want to scrub your debts that's a good deal, just make sure you ask about it when you sign a contract. You can get that on your contract.

Personally I'm also in my upper 20's and decided to join before i was too old because i regret not doing it earlier. So i went into combat arms in the army because i'm a retard. If you want a physical job the air force doesn't have a lot of options unless you go special forces, but there's a risk you'll wash out and get reclassed to some bullshit desk or maintenance job. Avoid security forces because it'll be 4 years of checking ID's at a check point pretending not to fall asleep.

So yeah, your primary focus should be what kind of job you could tolerate doing for the next 4 years.
>>
At the Montgomery AL MEPS right now.
>>
>>33440743

POG here to weigh in on something I see tossed around in these threads: combat arms.

As an Army Intel POG, my job revolves around my grunts. I've shot with them, rolled with them, partied with them.

The biggest difference?

It's not PT. As a bodybuilder, I outclass a good number of them.

It's not marksmanship, I've never shot lower than a 33 And average 35-37.

It's pure exposure time.

If it's snowing and I'm in the field, I'm left to say "fuck it's cold" as I walk from one heated or at least insulated structure to another.

The grunts? Not so much. It's just cold, and it's gonna stay cold.

Downrange, I might think it's tough on the FOB.

These guys are living out of tents surrounded by hesco with no trace of civilization save for their own equipment.

Exposure.

So, yeah. I might get to do some cool-guy shit. Might have some challenges. But my shooters? Yeah, nah, I'll hang out right here.

Good men.
>>
>>33458058
You're still a fucking POG no matter how big your inferiority complex is or how hard you try to compensate.
>>
>>33450813

Navy underwater welding/ship's husbandry
>>
>>33458058

>bodybuilding POG

I guess it pays to have access to the gym all the time

Still though, no combat patch. Enjoy ur office chair
>>
>>33458250

>Still though, no combat patch.

Kek. There's no such thing as a "combat patch". You get it for deploying into a certain area, even if you're just chilling on the FOB the whole time. Way more support guys have "combat patches" than grunts.
>>
>>33457325
I personally couldn't tell you, but I've heard more than a few anons complain about it. Look into 35L instead
>>
>>33457699
If you're good with languages, you'd be wise to look into some 35 Series Army jobs
>>
I'm trying to get back in shape for National Guard BCT, but shit's kicking my ass. I was sedentary for the last two years working fast food jobs. I've been trying to run daily for about a month now, but I haven't improved that much. I still tire out easy. I'm worried I won't get in shape in time for BCT. Wat do? Am I doomed to get recycled in Basic a lot? Will they kick my ass into shape?
>>
>>33458871

Dont run every day that's how you get hurt. Run 3x a week to start out. Start with 1 mild runs and add a mile to your total weekly mileage each week. Make sure you stretch a lot.
The running should not get easier, you should just get faster. If it feels easier than last week, you're not pushing hard enough. Maintaining intensity is how you get güd
>>
>>33458935
Thing is, I just can't run for a whole mile yet. I can maybe do like, a quarter mile if I push myself, and then I'm sore as fuck afterwards. How do I work up my endurance?
>>
>>33458977
Google C25K
>>
>>33459001
I've already tried it. And I struggled to keep up with the first days of it. The fuck is wrong with me.
>>
>>33458977

http://www.c25kfree.com/

Couch25k is the program you're looking for. Starts out with running for 2 mins and walking 2 mins, alternating for 20 mins total and works you up to a 5k.
It's meant for 50 year old fat guys having midlife crises and wanting to run their local charity 5k, so it's very accessible for all ability levels.
Once you can run a full 5k without stopping in like 30 mins (10 min mile pace) start running 5ks twice a week and add 1 mile total per week.

It's gonna be hard, but dont give up. Nothing worth doing is easy.
Stretching is extremely important for minimizing pain/tightness/injury
>>
>>33459022
How heavy are you? Obviously more weight makes it harder to run. Another thing to keep in mind is if you have good running shoes and what surface you run on. Your feet could be kill if you don't have good running shoes and run on asphalt or concrete.
>>
>>33459047
I'm not obese or anything, just skinnyfat at the worst. 5'10, 185lbs. I might need to invest in better running shoes, the track I run on is asphalt and I'm wearing beater shoes from wally world.
>>
>>33459173

Go to a running store and have them fit you for a pair of shoes. Write down the make/model/size of the shoe and order them online if buying them from the store is too expensive. You literally have no excuses at that weight. You just need the right footwear and the willpower to get better. Start with couch25k and keep pushing yourself
>>
>>33459173
Yeah you definitely need shoes that are good on that surface. Also worth checking into if you need shoes with pronation so your strides land properly. That could also save your feet a lot of pain.
>>
>>33459254
Will probably have to wait to go to a running store, cause lolrural but thanks for the advice, man. I'll retry C25K and go from there.

Any advice on pushups/situps/pullups? I can do like, 10 pushups and 20 situps tops right now, but I admittedly haven't been trying as hard as I have been with running.
>>
>>33458065

I was trying to encourage more guys to go that way.

Inferiority complex? Not hardly, my dude. I'll take the diet experience for those job offers.

But for guys who want the real Hemmingway experience?

>>33458250

>ur

Would it have been so much harder to add a few letters and make a real word?
>>
>>33459278
Just do more of them. I'm currently prepping for basics too and i try to make sure to do like 100 push ups during the day. If 10 is your max then squeeze in 10 quick ones here and there and they'll add up. Or 5 if you're really struggling to get to 10. Just do some, have some rest, do more.
>>
>>33440743
Anyone know how hard air assault is?
>>
yeah
>>
>>33459322

Eat a good diet, and PT everyday.

Three years ago I was a lanky farmboy who could barely pass a PT test.

Now? I can't remember the last time I popped less than 270, I'm 20 pounds worth of muscle larger than most guys my height and I'm stronger than 85% of people my height and weight, according to Bodybuilding.com

Eat right, and as soon as you get up, do some PT.

Do some more up in the day.

Do some real PT that evening. Run, push, crunch, lift, whatever you want to do, it's all good if you're going from not exercising to exercising.
>>
>>33459354

Not too bad if you don't mind heights and have a pretty good strength index.
>>
>>33459278

Figure out your maximum rep count, then do 3 sets of 80% of that number. At the beginning you may want to round down. Same thing as running though, do that workout every other day so you dont hurt yourself. So do it on the days you arent running.
>>
>>33459382
Define strength index, you mean like have a good pft score and be able to lift heavy?
>>
>>33441299
what about field medics?
>>
>>33458058
Also as an Intel guy in a BCT I can agree with this.
They're great guys, but they have their share of the paint chip eaters. But if you find the right ones they're much more fun to hang out with than dudes in Intel.
Intel ends up being a bunch of dudes jerking off over anime and overwatch, while combat arms dudes are a bunch of frat bros.
>>
>>33459443
>Intel ends up being a bunch of dudes jerking off over anime and overwatch
Sounds like Intel's the place to be.
>>
>>33459443
When i was at the hotel waiting for my physical at MEPS i shared room with a black guy who was watching Arrow and Vines on his smartphone and loudly commented on everything that happened on the show even if i wasn't looking at the screen. He was shipping out for intel. Seems like the autistic types are drawn to that.
>>
>>33459477
Yeah, they tend not to last long though.
It's weird, even in the field I'm in as HUMINT there's tons of those dudes. I don't see why the autistic shut ins are drawn to an MOS that revolves around being outgoing and talking to people.
>>
>>33459498
Yeah he really didn't strike me as the type who would be good at that kind of job. We were in the same room for hours and i could barely have a basic conversation with him about shit like where he was from and what his plan for the future was.

I'll just stick to my crayons and freedom paste in the infantry i guess.
>>
>>33459518
Just based on infantry I've worked with, there's a high amount of anime nerds there too.
So get ready for that.
The army just has high all around autism levels.
>>
>>33459434

About how it sounds, yes.
>>
>>33459354
Went through it whiles back.

First they do this nonsense on the first day where they always overbook the class and then drop people until they hit the right size. You have to do a run in under some time, an obstacle course (nit too hard as long as you aren't afraid of heights), and a packing list layout. They are super autistic about the layout so make sure you pack EXACTLY what is on the list and it is where it is supposed to be.

After the first day you do three increasingly long ruck marches in under time, so make sure your ruck skills are good to go. You need to be able to climb ropes abd do pullups, but you don't need to be a 'roid monster. For any physical prep focus on rucking flat out.

There are practical and written (multiple choice) tests about sling loading equipment and related air operations. These tests are not shall we say hard- but they are easy to fail through over confidence. Saw a couple of very smart guys drop the course over honestly stupid overlooks on practical exams when they decided not to study.
>>
>>33450025
yeah but a soldier at least knows his prismacolors from his crayolas
>>
>>33444395
>>33449808
Got my diagnosis in late elementary school only stopped the meds in junior year still got my waiver and I waited to tell until I was already at boot camp during the moment of truth.
>>
>>33448601
>he doesnt realize that Guard is better
mate just wait until you're actually a sucidal drunk in AD.
>>
>>33451686
its cool just dont get crushed by a bomb
>>
Anyone know anything about getting college credit for AIT through Joint Service Transcript?

How many credits would a 35F be looking at, and would they stack with an associates degree I've already got?
>>
>>33456732
probably tendonitis. nothing really to be concerned about. Just do pushups on your fists instead. You might get shit for it at basic, but then again its 2017, you're not actually going to get real shit for it.
>>
>>33457699
id recommend something like SecFo for you. Probably the most laughed at AFSC but its really not that bad. If you do end up a cop just remember that you are NOT hot shit.
>>
What's the best way to max out a PT test? Just do a bunch of push-ups, sit ups, and run?
>>
>>33460144
Well I don't know if it applies to you, but I'm the 35M from earlier. At our AIT is partnered with the local CC which gave me like 28 credits and a free 4.0 GPA with high honors. Your AIT is at the same place so maybe its offered to you as well. The place is regionally accredited, so the credits should transfer if you're trying to get some gen eds done for a bachelors. I used it to put in an application for a top tier liberal arts private school for when I get out and got accepted, so it can transfer well enough.

That being said 35F is gay as fuck, don't do it. I can do their job.
35P, 35N, or 35M.
>>
>>33460624
Pretty much.
>>
File: 1405007725382.jpg (60KB, 720x556px) Image search: [Google]
1405007725382.jpg
60KB, 720x556px
>>33460624
>What's the best way to max out a history test? Just get all the right answers?
>>
>>33460630
appreciate the info

It's Cochise county cc yeah?
>>
>>33460791
Yeah, that's the one. It costs like 50 bucks, but it's worth it.
>>
>>33443321
POGS
how you pronounce?
like hogs, dogs? or more like the original spelling with a U in the pronunciation?
>>
File: 1488759460458.png (714KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1488759460458.png
714KB, 1080x1080px
>>33444444
Checked
>>
>>33459542
To build on this, my brother in ROTC said the weeb density is about 60%. It's becoming the JOG.
>>
>>33460050
elaborate on that?
>>
File: 1337555455389.jpg (47KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1337555455389.jpg
47KB, 500x374px
What exactly IS a deployment? Do they strictly apply to contested areas like Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. or can you be deployed to, say, Germany, Japan, and other "safe" places?
>>
>>33460970
Like pogues.
>>
>>33440743
6' 4" 25 y.o. almost 26
330 Pounds (fat body)
Have a BA in the humanities
Is there anyway, I could lose sufficient weight to try for a 92A? I really just want to clean and shoot guns all day.
>>
>>33453631
the only people fighting ATM are in SOCOM. If you wanna be in the fight quick get a 11x op 40 contract.
>>
>>33444536
Its e-3 in the army
>>
>>33457699
If you want to work outdoors but not see combat, you could try to be a SERE specialist in the Air Force.
>>
>>33440810
leatherneck is the gayest place on the internet, avoid it
>>
25 year old currently burnt out on college trying to get a masters degrees science education. Got my bachelors when I was 22.

I want to try what the military has to offer as infantry but I'm 6'7 and a fairly big guy(muscular, not fat) for you. If I go infantry what's the chances I'll be in snap city for the rest of my life? I imagine infantry vehicles don't have much leg room and I don't wanna be in snap city my whole life because the rides got a little bumpy on my spine
>>
>>33464641
you won't have to worry about a thing because you're going to be too busy cleaning the grass lawn outside by hand and vacuuming the parking lots. no wars in sight for you to actually do infantry stuff.
>>
I wanna do SF, should I start off with the option 40 contract or should I just get the 18x? Which one is a better route?
>>
>>33464667
>I want to be SF
>Should I get an SOF contract or should I get an SF contract?

Gee I just don't know.

I want to be a cop.
Should I go to the police academy or the firefighter academy?
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 500x324px
>>33464659
Shit man I need something to pop off within the next 10 years. Hopefully the race war pops off soon or some Arabs chimp out again. Maybe something fun will happen in Asia.

I need a WAR damnit
>>
If I were to enlist in the Army as a combat medic, how much combat would I possibly see?
>>
So if I join the Navy, what are the chances I'll end up actually serving on a ship? I want to join as a Gunner's Mate.
>>
File: 1421894811900.jpg (70KB, 500x671px) Image search: [Google]
1421894811900.jpg
70KB, 500x671px
How bad is hazing in the Marines?
>>
>>33464899
Depends on if we go back to war any time soon. We have small numbers in Afghanistan, and we're slowly escalating in Iraq and Syria, but it's nothing serious enough yet.
>>
>>33464986
Well I guess what I meant with my question was more about, if I am involved in combat, am I going to be much of a trigger man or as a medic would people want me to sit back and just avoid the shit as much as possible?
>>
>>33464995
You could roll outside the wire when a unit goes on patrol. If you do, you'll be carrying. In addition to a rifle, the medics in my unit have to carry an M9, but we're MPs so it might be different with other branches.

Your primary job is to assist the wounded. But the first step to tactical casualty care is to return fire and get to cover. So long answer short, yes, if you're in a combat zone, there's a solid chance you'll be in the shit.
>>
>>33465029
Is it safe to assume the same for a FMF Corpsman? I'd like to get a chance to earn my CAR and not just be forced to take cover and not shoot.
>>
>>33465269
>>
Any MPs(31b) here? What is it like?
I am thinking about enlisting, turned 25 a few days ago and I have not been doing much career wise.
>>
File: 1482472766378.jpg (26KB, 479x480px) Image search: [Google]
1482472766378.jpg
26KB, 479x480px
I was checking the Air Force website and they say there's a credit check.

If I have a bad credit is that disqualifying?
>>
>>33464938
It's the fucking navy, most rates end up onna ship
>>
>>33465610
Pretty sure it is just to make sure you aren't doing it to run from debt collectors.
>>
File: 1409444866704.jpg (462KB, 3216x2136px) Image search: [Google]
1409444866704.jpg
462KB, 3216x2136px
I'm European and I'm gonna finish my education this summer. I'm seriously considering joining the army, though i'm 26. I'm not too old on paper, but am I in your opinion too "old"?
>>
File: freeman?.png (473KB, 681x456px) Image search: [Google]
freeman?.png
473KB, 681x456px
Is a combat engineer a POG?
>>
>>33466318
Yes. Also, caring about what an 11b thinks of you shouldn't factor into your job choice. Let him have his smug sense of superiority. Between that, a $0.10 cord, and some crayons, its all he's got.
>>
Should i tell meps about my childhood asthma? Was diagnosed when i was 7 but never used the inhaler and have never had an asthma attack. Im worried if i don't tell them about it, during a TS clearance they will dig it up and kick me out.
>>
>>33466445
I was "diagnosed" with asthma by my doctor shopping grandma when I was a kid because I coughed in her ultra dusty, ultra pollen filled backyard.

I never brought it up for my TS because I honestly forgot. Its not a big issue.

TS investigations by OPM are mainly looking at things that can be used as levers to make you more pliable to bribery or blackmail. That means hidden criminal past, uncontrolled debt, hard drug use, or anything like that.
>>
>>33466503
Ok, so i shouldn't mention it. Besides i have recent PFT test results and methacholine challenge results that are negative for asthma, so even if they discover it i atleast have a case. Thank you for your help
>>
When I was a kid I was on HGH for growth hormone deficiency. I got off of them when I stopped growing with them, and my doctor said that I'll never need them because I naturally produce a small amount. Is it possible to get a waiver under these circumstances?
>>
>>33466812
I'd say it's likely if you ask about it. If you're currently on HGH it will show up in your urinalysis and you'll be fucked but if it was years ago they won't consider it a problem most likely. They're worried about taking on liabilities or some old injury popping up that would be a danger to you and others. This sounds minor enough.

I had to get a waiver for undescended testicle surgery i had when i was 6 and that was no problem. Anything that's currently not causing you problems can be waiver basically.
>>
File: veh-2012-rs33-big.jpg (67KB, 550x291px) Image search: [Google]
veh-2012-rs33-big.jpg
67KB, 550x291px
What's with the tradition of every idiot buying a three year old muscle car as soon as they get to their first service station?

Are people really that excited to waste their E3 paycheck on this shit?
>>
>>33467821

Yeah, those fools. I'm spending MY enlistment bonus on a motorcycle.
>>
>>33467834
>I'm spending MY enlistment bonus on a motorcycle.
>riding around wearing that doofy hunterorange/neongreen safety vest
>>
>>33467821
>Be white trash
>Be from family that never had long term money plans
>Never learned good money skills
>Go to the Army
>Paycheck is more money than they have ever seen
>Sleezy used car salesmen hang out bear posts and sucker in stupid Joes

It is just that simple. Not all Joes are stupid, but there are enough that it is a thing.
>>
>>33440887
>army reserves
make your choice wisely because either way the regular forces are going to hate you if you ever jump over
>>
>>33467883
I thought the army was good at countersignalling that kind of mistake. Half the reason my dad wants me to join is that apparently military TSPs have a great return.
>>
>>33467937
The Army gives people classes on that, but there us only so much you can do to fix stupid. I've seen Joes sell their OCIE for beer money without rhinking that choice through.

>TSP
Ehhh, its ok, I guess? Basically just an automatically deducting tax shielded mutual fund. If you are halfway smart with money, I'd skip it DESU. Join USAA and open up your own private Roth IRA. You have to have the self control to check it once a month (takes maybe 5 minutes to do), but you get more control over it.

The disposable income without major bills, GI Bill, and lifetime military discounts are the real bennies.
>>
>>33467821
I met a guy at the airport a couple of years ago, he was some black guy who had just spent 2 years as a combat engineer and he was super excited about how we was going to blow all the money he racked up in iraq and germany on an Audi.

He seemed so happy i didn't want to tell him that was fucking stupid.

Now i'm the stupid one because i'm enlisting. But i'm too cheap to blow my money on a car. I don't see the appeal of buying an overpriced sport car.
>>
>>33467937
>apparently military TSPs have a great return
50 year average they beat inflation by half a percent. They have criminally mismanaged (as in someone actually got charged with fraud or embezzlement) it so many times though.
>stick over $21,000 in mine over course of 2 enlistments
>ETS
>have $417 in TSP cuz of mismanagement, despite being during the greatest economic boom since 1947
>>
>>33467996

>someone left all of his money in the g fund
>>
>>33447490
Bump, seriously considering this ASFC
>>
>>33467992
You will understand after a while in. Especially if you see combat.
>>
>>33468264
Sweet. If i want to blow money on shit like that i'd go for a pickup though.
>>
>>33464389
it's possible, just work at it
>>
File: 1486728534425.png (707KB, 994x1168px) Image search: [Google]
1486728534425.png
707KB, 994x1168px
>>33468264
>You'll understand one day kid.

The fuck outta here man. I seent combat and it didn't make me bankrupt my fucking future. There's a difference between the post deployment high/low with a little excess partying and buying some stupid shit for a few hundred bucks, and making a $30k+ purchase that wipes out your savings.

Military newfags, I beg of you, do some serious investing for the future so you don't become a stereotypical failed veteran in civvie life.
>>
>>33468108

I've been told that all aircrew jobs are good aircrew jobs. I've only researched 1a8x2 though, but they all sound like sweet gigs.
>>
File: 1455239715080.png (213KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1455239715080.png
213KB, 500x400px
>>33464389
>92A

>I really just want to clean and shoot guns all day.
>>
>>33460630
>I can do their job.

Lol
>>
>>33460630

>Interrogator thinks he's an analyst
>I can do their job
>Literally anyone can sign up for interrogation duty
>>
>>33460144
>How many credits would a 35F be looking at, and would they stack with an associates degree I've already got?

If it's like when I went through in 2007 what you're paying for are the core credits for an Associate's of Applied Science in Intelligence Operations. It's about 30 credit hours and the colleges and universities I've gone to since only gave me elective credit for them. They did the same for my joint service transcripts.

However once you have your gen eds you just send them a transcript and get an AAS for whatever you paid. It's been ten years so I forget what the actual dollar amount was.
>>
>>33441645
It was pretty fucking gay for me. Not a whole lot of good infantry deployments left here in the US Army. Peacetime Army kinda sucks in general. There's a lot of bs details and not a huge budget for training. All the low quality people they let in during the surge are now also becoming senior NCO's which is fucking disgraceful. Its no fun when your platoon gets an ass chewing for coming in drunk from a SFC that has 2 dui convictions.
>>
>>33457518
Do you hate yourself and wish for the worst type of suffering imaginable?

If so, then try for SEALS.
>>
>>33457518

Why not join the military and just see if the life suits you first before you try to get into super spooky black ops?
>>
>>33459278
Look up something called the evil Russian pushup program. If you're willing to push yourself, it's good for results
>>
>>33464938
Almost every job ends up on a ship at least once
>>
>>33464968
Easiest as it has ever been. As long as you're not a complete pussy you'll be fine
>>
>>33469773
>tfw one of my AIT instructors got a DUI while I was in AIT
>saw him bike to and from the school house every single day
Kek
*drumroll*
He was black
>>
File: 1484792684278.gif (683KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484792684278.gif
683KB, 720x960px
>tfw CIF employees make checking out hard
>>
Just got a call from a recruiter for the army
I have moved twice changed my phone number and email.
HOW DO THEY FIND ME
>>
>>33470184
>You need to clean this more
It's faded, not dirty
>Well I can't take it back with the nylon discolored
It faded in the fucking sun!
>Try using dish soap on it
>>
If I fail to make the cut to become a Cool Guy(TM) but have a high DLAB score would they reroute me to a linguist job considered critically manned or send me to needs?
>>
>>33469740
>>33469735
>it's an analyst thinks he's the only person that's ever put together a powerpoint, given a brief, or worked in an S2 shop episode
>>
>>33470342

Probably the latter. Linguist training is expensive, and they'd be throwing good money after bad to offer such an expensive opportunity to someone who has failed everything they've ever tried in the Army.
>>
>>33463794

Yes
>>
>>33463794
A deployment is a combat deploymet to a designated overseas hazardous duty area. If you don't rate a patch from it, it is not a deployment.

Germany, Korea, Japan, etc are overseas duty assignments. Those rate service ribbons, but are not deployments.

A deployment is by the way merely being assigned to a designated combat theater, it doesnt nessesarily mean you saw combat. CABs, CMBs, and CIBs are supposed to designate actually seeing combat, although there has been a lot of paperwork shennanigans to give many undeserving people those awards.
>>
>>33441299
Good thing I'm 19D. I'm basically infantry. Right guys?
>>
>>33470616
Never call yourself "basically x". You're acting like a cuck, belittling your own job, and insulting the people actually in the job you are claiming.

Anybody who makes that statement loses my respect. Be good and proud of your job.
>>
>>33470415

I pretty much assumed that the reassignment would be punitive in nature. Welp, best not fail.
>>
>>33452143
Wow that is cringey
>>
>>33470613
Awesome. Thank you for clearing that up.
>>
I walked past the army recruiting station while they were doing a workout, and holy shit it was full of acne-infested edgy manlets listening to Linkin Park. I'm glad I joined the Navy, most of us are over 6 feet SWCC or airrescueman Chad's. Even those who aren't specwar are autistically smart.
>>
>>33470218
>how did a government minion find me
m8...
>>
What does army Intel do all day? What languages will I learn if I go 35p?
>>
>>33471554
check this thread out
>>33459206
>>
>>33471554
>What does army Intel do all day?
sit around get fat and wish you had the balls to be infantry
>>
will the navy rape my ass on clearance for being "diagnosed" with "depression/anxiety" at 14? this was 7 years ago when my mom was dying and i was in school. i take no medication and have 0 criminal record/offenses. the recruiter basically told me "never talk about this shit again and youll be good".
i only want answers from people who are either in or have gone through clearance. i know if i pick a rate without clearance requirements I'll be just fine.
btw, why the fuck does medical coding put depression and anxiety under the same diagnosis code....this is bullshit.
>>
Pog here. Slammer desu. Worked with Army infantry on one of my 6 month vacation deployments. Much respect from me. Infantry is all the work that SF doesn't want to do (from patrols to sorting body parts to 4 hour guard at 2am followed by more patrols). Shit sucks for you guys and you sure don't get the respect you deserve from the rest of us.

Everyone else: if you want to go infantry think about it because you sure won't get the glory. Infantry gets shit on from what I saw. It can be a good experience or a good stepping stone. But know why you want to go in or you might get a big surprise.
>>
Is Airforce TACP worth it?
>>
>>33471935

I've heard that SOF TACP is the funnest job for enlisted in the military.
>>
>>33471744
Don't think so... I have a clearance and have had depression, with justified reasons (life), it hasn't effected me since it was self refereed, there wasn't any event associated with it, and it was justified given things that happened.
>>
>>33457518
>SEALS
How is your writing, anon? Oh, and your hair?
>>
>>33471960
fantastic, thank you. all i needed to know. now i feel in tip top shape to proceed with my life and get this shit done.
>>
>>33457518
>>33471976
Navy Book Club Top Kek
>>
File: OViNM[1].jpg (292KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
OViNM[1].jpg
292KB, 1836x3264px
>>33472014
>>
>>33472014
>twenty three
>UNTOLD STORIES
>T W E N T Y T H R E E
>>
>>33472041
Was this the guy who was exposed as a fraud?

I remember one of these authors either embellished a lot of shit or were outright lying about their service. I think Don Shipley did a video of it.
>>
File: seals.png (109KB, 663x821px) Image search: [Google]
seals.png
109KB, 663x821px
>>33472068
No idea. I just typed in "ama navy seals" knowing 100% something would show up.
>>
>>33472149
So many stories still remain untold.
>>
File: seals2.png (28KB, 1015x204px) Image search: [Google]
seals2.png
28KB, 1015x204px
>>33472156
Still waiting for this one.
>>
time for a new thread
>>
>>33470410
>It's a 35M doesn't actually know what an analyst does and thinks he wouldn't be a complete detriment to an analytical cell
>>
>>33465737
no, but with far less chance of reenlisting though.
>>
>>33470760

It's not punitive. For some reason SOF failouts think they're owed another shot at their job of choice even though they've only demonstrated failure.
>>
Joining AF, recruiter said that Maintenance & Electronics jobs were in demand. Want to do Electronics and have been looking at Avionics positions. If I say that's what I want to do, is there the chance I'll be doing that, or is what I say a suggestion?
>>
>>33471713

>MFW the intel guys I know are more jacked than the infantry guys I know.

>The intel guys spend half the duty day lifting at the gym inside their office building.

>The infantry guys stand around outside praying that WW3 kicks off.

>MFW I have no face.
>>
>>33472799
So you don't have an actual job you just loiter in the gym all day to make people think you're not useless?
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.