[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dual National Mil Service

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (14KB, 300x201px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 300x201px
I've been in the fence about joining the military for almost half a decade and after spending those years aimlessly pissing potential careers away, I still think about joining - I am however a dual national and have the option between U.S and U.K armed forces.

It's my understanding that you leave the British military with very little in terms of 'benefits' but it's a much more 'humane' form of existence versus the hell that is the American military which however provides better long term benefits.

Benefits being future qualifications, monetary compensation and programs (education etc).

I'm not particularly well versed in if this is the case but I'm looking for some enlightenment. At the end of the day I'm looking for post-service pros like working qualifications and potentially contracting.
>>
just join the chair force or the reserves
>>
>>33440342

I don't really see the point in settling for reserves, you have to do most of the work for almost none of the benefit, especially if you get called into action.
>>
Isn't there an issue with dual nat when you join a military? Don't they revoke your other nationality or something?
>>
>>33440284
I've been thinking about joining the National Guard now that I'm in college and doing a three year contract. I was thinking that after school and a 3 year contract I could join the IDF. Would IRR fuck this up?
>>
It really depends what you want to do long term. I don't know about the UK, but the US definitely has a lot of perks (healthcare, education etc) that you receive if you stay in the country after your service. Plus depending on what you want to do, having security clearance / prior service can be a huge bonus in some fields.

Be aware though that depending on what you do you may have to give up one of your citizenships - for example I know that US officers can't be dual citizens.
>>
>>33440541

In Americas case I think they do, but I'm born U.S, dual U.K. Given that U.S is my primary I shouldn't have to revoke if I join.

Britain isn't too concerned IIRC, but if it were the case between revoking I'd have to stick with U.K.
>>
>>33440541
>>33440579
IIRC you can be an enlisted and have dual citizenship in the US military, but the DOD won't offer any security clearances if you hold dual citizenship. Being a UK citizen almost certainly won't be an issue but they will make you renounce it depending on what you do.
>>
>>33440560
I'm coming up on the end of my contract with the Guard and have been thinking the same thing. It seems that no, there wouldn't be a problem. You'd probably get a conditional release because you're joining an an army that's allies with the US.

That said, I've talked to some IDF vets. They tell me that due to the state of warfare there, politics and the military are even more connected than it is here, and that people are always out to get you. But the people I talk to were draftees, so they may be coming from a different place than someone who volunteered to do it.

I say see where it goes. Go Guard and who knows, maybe we'll be going back to the sandbox soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
>>
File: SoldierOfFortune.jpg (119KB, 600x823px) Image search: [Google]
SoldierOfFortune.jpg
119KB, 600x823px
>>33440635
Thanks man.
>>
>>33440628
what if you ur parents have foreign ciizenship can u still get the clearance ?
>>
>>33440513
>almost none of the benefit
Nigger wut?
>post-9/11 GI bill
>tuition assistance while in
>pension at 60 after 20 years of good service
>$400,000 in super fucking cheap life insurance
>super fucking cheap decent health insurance with $1,000/yr catastrophic cap
Literally the only benefit you don't get that active duty does is the free on-base health care, and they make you wait til 60 to start drawing your pension even if you retire earlier.
>>
>>33442882
Depends on the clearance. Secret probably, TS absolutely not.
>>
>>33440284
don't join my fucking army you pussy.

FUCK OFF WERE FULL.
>>
>>33440284
If you join the military just for benefits......well for one you're a fucking welfare queen and you disgust me. Secondly living in the military is not that bad. The worst I ever delt with was I had to sleep outside and it was cold af. But I had an incredibly good sleeping bag.

The airforce is probably for you. You're kind doesn't make it very long in the army, they would eat your heart in the marines, and the navy would probably rape you.
>>
>>33440541
you can join US Military as a Green carder & get citizenship in two years (I think), I don't remember specifics but basically until a person can get their new home country's citizenship they can't be forced to give up their old one, USA doesn't technically allow dual citizenship (as in in order to get US citizenship you have to revoke your old one, at least that's how it was last time I checked, you can become dual citizen by first becoming US citizen & then becoming citizen of another country though)
>>
>>33442882
Yeah family members are OK for secret clearance. I know a guy whose dad is Russian and mother is Colombian and he still has a clearance for working IT in the army.
>>
>>33442904
what if the parents are deceased will ts then be possible?
>>
>>33443030
well now we know where the leaks are coming from (jk) well to do cool jason bourne stuff u need ts right ? the reason i ask is because i have swiss nationality with green card and i really dont want to give that up
>>
>>33443074
With Switzerland I'd imagine the Swiss government would be more restrictive than the US gov't about foreign service.
>>
>>33443074
I'm a Swede with a US permanent resident card (I-551) and i'm currently enlisting in the armed forces, for my first contract i can't get any security clearance but after i finish my first contract i can reclass for a SECRET clearance if i choose to because then i'll be a citizen. I don't think i can get a TS for intelligence and so forth because of my foreign family ties though.

But you can't get any security clearance if you're still a swiss national, you have to tear up your passport. I don't know the swiss rules for dual citizenship, there might be restrictions there too.
>>
>>33443118
wont they give you citizenship right when you join ? only reason i would join is to be a ranger
>>
>>33442928
>dat idealism

If I'm spilling mine and others blood for Israeli interests, I won't be doing it for 'Liberty and Freedom'.

That's what the modern U.S. Inf is like, shittier state-paid mercs without as many liberties.
>>
>>33443172
>wont they give you citizenship right when you join ?
another anon, no they won't, enlistment might speed up the process, but there's a certain minimum period between Green Card and citizenship that can't be ignored under normal circumstances, I think a Green Carder enlisting can become citizen after two years, the important word here is *can*, the citizenship isn't automatic, you have to apply for it after becoming eligible.
>>
I don't think there are any actual /britmil/ in this board, or ever have been. The autism and 4chan tropes seem to dodge them.
>>
Unrelated, but I take it contract work is only available to vets, right? With no prior military experience there is zero chance of me being qualified for private work?
>>
>>33443672
Depends on the contractor. Most of them prefer vets (Especially vets who already have a relevant security clearance), but I don't think they strictly require their workers to be vets.
>>
>>33442899
Only if you deploy to an active combat zone.

Take a look out of what 23 CLB, 4 CLR, USMCR got out of thei Honduras deployment.

You do get cheap tricare, but it can drag you in the the hell that is VA hospitals.
>>
>>33440628
>>33440541
You're supposed to renounce your secondary citizenship and turn in your second passport if it's valid. You can still do clearances if you were a dual national. I think sometimes people haven't had to even renounce or turn in and they just don't bother with it. Depending on what level of clearance.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.