[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sword for shtf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 11

File: maxresdefault.jpg (30KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
30KB, 1280x720px
Ok, so I Know you're all are going to say a sword is useless in a shtf scenario, I accept this, but I will still have one as a side arm. My question is which sword would be the best to use?
>>
File: 1304376955947.png (457KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1304376955947.png
457KB, 600x450px
>>33434640
A bat
Ubiquitous and simple to use
>>
>>33434640
>My question is which sword would be the best to use?

Sorry not sorry but if you're asking this question then you're going to get killed by a Mexican with a machete if the zambos ever rise. Go with what you like, and if you really want to go nuts you can pay someone to teach you how to use it.

Lots of people who aren't just LARPing go with a large knife or a decent machete, consider that as well. If you're too lazy to take any sort of lessons you can at least cut a bunch of BS in you backyard and learn to sharpen a blade without worrying about fucking up an expensive sword.
>>
>side arm
Think about it for a second. At the weight of a sword, you could carry quite a few spare mags. Heck you could carry a spare pistol with a full mag and still come out on top. How many enemies could you defeat with those (and how many of those would defeat you if you only had a sword?)
A sword is not a good side arm. It's an idea if you live in nogunsland, which is when it becomes your main arm (unless you want to carry a spear or something).
In that case, get something you're training with. Otherwise, get a machete.
>>
Just get a sturdy hatchet.
>>
>>33434640
A bat.
Hit someone with sword, sword stuck in them. No more sword.
>>
>>33436045
>Just get a sturdy hatchet.

This

Unless you invest enough time in it will be useless anyway.

Frenzied hatchet for you. Plus hatchets are useful.
>>
I'd go with a crowbar.

It's probably around the same weight, but you can also pry stuff open when you're not bashing people with it.
>>
>>33436532
Urban terrain? This.
Rugged terrain: hatchet or machete, personal preference.
Regardless of terrain, also carry a good stout knife for small work.
>>
File: 4rb9xt.jpg (26KB, 700x399px) Image search: [Google]
4rb9xt.jpg
26KB, 700x399px
>>33434640
Just do what they did in Romeo and Juliet, buy a gun a write sword on it.
>>
File: 600px-Longsword.jpg (38KB, 600x274px) Image search: [Google]
600px-Longsword.jpg
38KB, 600x274px
>>33437024

Get a longsword
>>
>Not carrying your spear
>>
File: 2ld80.jpg (44KB, 716x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2ld80.jpg
44KB, 716x1024px
>>33437072
That may be a bit hard to handle especially if OP is a novice I'd start with a dagger
>>
>>33434640
What are you expecting your opponent(s) to be?
>>
>>33437167
Orcs
>>
>>33434640
Personally, I'd rather use a tomahawk with a light buckler because it can be used as a tool as well, but here we go...

note: these are selections are purely based on opinion and speculation, not fact (no shit)

>Against humans you have 3 good choices

1) Cutlass - good hand protection, excellent at cutting, depending on the blade curvature it can have decent thrusting potential; easy to carry and if built properly, should last a while
2) Basket-hilted broadsword or backsword - longer than the cutlass while still being easy to carry; has the best hand protection of all one-handed swords; cuts and thrusts well
3) Rapier - great hand protection and excellent reach, can be worn at your side (but would be difficult if crawling into small spaces); rapiers can cut, but not as well as swords with thicker blades

>Against zombies you have 2 good choices

1) Falchion or Langes Messer - basically like a machete, but not as crude in appearance; excellent cutting power, but not too heavy
2) Gladius - short, but easy to carry and great at cutting; yes, they were primarily used for thrusting in Roman ranks, but they can cut well; not much hand protection, but they're easier to use in enclosed environments

> Against other fictional creatures that move quicker than zombies and have some level of intelligence (also assuming you don't have to aim for the head)

Basket-hilted broadsword or backsword for the same reasons

>he didn't mention longsword

Longswords are good at fighting other humans that are only equipped with melee weapons. Longswords are a pain in the ass to wear

>in general, swords are not good for a SHTF scenario

1) have to maintain them which isn't difficult, but takes time
2) if the blade breaks, you're screwed unless you're a skilled blacksmith
3) expensive
4) not as much reach as something like a spear and not as powerful
5) you have to know how to use one; it's not as simple as chopping or hacking at something; edge alignment is key
>>
It wouldn't hurt to own a sword in case you run out of bullets.
>>
Something one handed and easy to carry, like an arming sword or messer.
I'd go longsword just because I have the most experience fighting with them, but might get a bit in the way.
>>
>>33437198
You still don't want a sword friend.
>>
>>33437424
Though to add to this I'd actually suggest either sword and buckler, or a sword with hand protection like a sabre.
Sabres are light af, you'll barely notice one.
>>
File: rifle and sword.jpg (25KB, 287x500px) Image search: [Google]
rifle and sword.jpg
25KB, 287x500px
Follow your dreams, anon.
>>
File: 1490067388125.jpg (79KB, 472x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490067388125.jpg
79KB, 472x720px
>>33437385
THATS THEN YOU FIX BAYONETS
>>
File: 2314234213.jpg (141KB, 1600x873px) Image search: [Google]
2314234213.jpg
141KB, 1600x873px
>>33434640
Obviously katana. Well recognized and beloved design (minus couple spergs from /k/), everyone knows how to use it and its excellent combat qualities. Here is the thing: in shtf group has much better chances of survival than single person so compatibility of gear with you average Joe who can end in your group and barter potential is very important. You should stay out from obscure and rare gear like longswords or sabres known only to extremely small group of hobbyists.
>>
>OP walks down the street book or Eli style.
>Spots random scavengers in the distance laughing around a campfire.
>Thisismymoment.jpg
>Tips fedora and tightens fingerless gloves.
>Approaches the rapscallion
>"I'm here to relieve you of your equipment gentlemen"
>They look at me like I'm crazy.
>I tighten my grip on the hilt.
>They stand up picking up their rifles
>They don't know my power level, I pull on my sword
>Handguard gets stuck on my gut
>Trip over my trench coat
>Get assailed by the rapscallions
>Squeal like a piggy for the rest of my days.
>>
File: IMG_0023.jpg (188KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0023.jpg
188KB, 900x675px
>>33437198
>>
>>33434640
any sort of arming sword should do the trick

should be symmetric (for teh stabs), and for the love of god make sure it's full tang

honestly I shouldn't even need to say that

Oh and make sure it has a distal taper too

Now if 'I' was gonna pick an old as fuck melee weapon to edc in shtf, it'd be a 5' spear
>>
>>33437485

WHAT IF DROP BAYONET?

Also, a real spear is objectively better than a bayoneted rifle without ammo.
>>
>>33437597
If spear how do you gun?
Swords can be carried without hands.
>>
>>33434640
A 12 - 24 inch dagger.
>>
>>33437614
i put spear down, or CC the spear in my waistband
>>
A Brazilian trapitino machete.
>>
File: Meisterart.jpg (16KB, 107x443px) Image search: [Google]
Meisterart.jpg
16KB, 107x443px
>>33434640
Langes Messer. It's basically a machete sized bowie knife. There good for cutting and stabbing and were usually made very sturdy and handy. A regular bowie would be far more useful but if you must.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.