[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

brass vs. steel vs. aluminum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (145KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
145KB, 1920x1080px
Are the steel and aluminum cases fine for shooting? particularly for 9mm handguns like glocks.
>>
>>33425547
glock will eat anything, long as it's jacketed, don't shoot cast bullet through a polygonal barrel, need to go buy an aftermarket like lone wolf with standard rifling
>>
>>33425573

Are you kidding me?
Glocks are notorious for jamming with light loads (steel cased) and light bullet weights (115grn)
>>
>>33425597
I thought glocks were super reliable and ate anything
>>
>>33425597
my glock 19 has chewed everything i could throw at it without a hiccup
>>
>>33425623
You thought the guns that jam if they aren't held tight enough could eat anything?

>>33425624
Probably because your recoil spring is weak as fuck.
>>
File: Anonsan you.png (678KB, 1156x999px) Image search: [Google]
Anonsan you.png
678KB, 1156x999px
>>33425597
I am sorry mate but I do find your statement difficult to believe. I seriously doubt that Glocks can't handle such loads.
>>
>>33425643

Then go buy a Glock and feed it some 115 grn wolf.
>>
>>33425597
>>33425643

It's not that the loads are light, Glocks choke on Wolf because of hard primers. I usually get 1 or 2 light primer strikes out of each box of Wolf or Tula. Not really a bad thing though, gives me a chance to practice tap-rack-bangs.
>>
I normally prefer brass casings just based on the fact that you can reload them because for they most part they're not berdan primed, but steel casings should run fine. I've used aluminum casings and they would not run for shit out of the SR9 I shot them out of. Honestly, though, I would just stick to brass casings and use steel casings only if you're tight on cash.
>>
>>33425547
look OP, just go buy some reloads from LAX ammo or Freedoom munitions, pay the same as you'd be paying for that aluminum at your local wally world and never have to worry about steel or aluminum going through your gun
>>
>>33425653
I've shot a lot of 115 wolf through my g34 and g26; no issues there. My G20 hits the primers hard as fuck to the point that I'm worried about pierced primers.
>>
>>33425547
Brass > Steel > > > > > > > > > Aluminum
>>
>>33425698

That's nice. But it's still a known problem.
Glockfags usually blame it on "limpwristing"
As if a gun malfunctioning under perfect conditions on a range when you have all the time in the world to grip it just the way you want is somehow an excuse.
>>
>>33425735
Substantiate this. I buy the 100rnd 115grn federal "champion" ammo at Walmart and shoot it though my G43 all day.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I imagine Aluminum > Steel because it cant leave cosmetic damage on your receiver.
>>
>>33425547
>like glocks
they aren't all created equal but most of them won't have issues based on the case materials.
>>
>>33425547
I was curious about this aluminum shit too. Tested it on an HK P30, Steyr M9A1, and SIG P938. All 3 cycled flawlessly and locked back. pretty accurate too.

I've read one report of these federal aluminum cases 'swelling' in hotter temps, but this was in a 1911, which are particular guns as it is.

>>33426170
I would think that the aluminum is much softer than the steel. Can supposedly be reloaded too but I would not recommend it. Ultimately seems like a much better value than steel, brass is still king of course

>>33425693
I can appreciate this mentality. But there's something reassuring about factory unfired casings. And I don't think you run the same risk of accelerated wear with aluminum as there is with steelcase - pretty sure the bullet for the aluminum case is the same as the brass case federal 115 FMJ
>>
Aluminum is fine
>>
>>33425547
Whatever works.
Don't have a Glock, but I shoot steel cases stuff all day out of my Jericho and Makarov and AK.

Shit, you name it and I use steel cases for it unless I reload.
>>
>>33425547
Steel case is fine for guns that are designed to handle them
>>
File: 1489816341801.gif (3MB, 635x348px) Image search: [Google]
1489816341801.gif
3MB, 635x348px
>>33425597

Range officer here; you're talking out your ass. 99% of the 9x19mm people practice with is 115gr.

Glocks run steel case fine unless you're also limp-wristing them.
>>
>>33425547
All of them are fine, but even if you don't reload, the money you save buying aluminum or steel can be mitigated with brass by saving your casings and selling them when you stock up a bunch. This is more true for more expensive calibers than 9mm. Brass ammo is often more consistent than steel or aluminum just because steel and aluminum is bargain basement stuff.
>>
>>33426170
> I imagine Aluminum > Steel because it cant leave cosmetic damage on your receiver.

That's a reasonable line of thinking, but really, any metal can leave cosmetic damage on your receiver. The steel used in steel case is very mild, much softer steel than that used in your barrel, so the damage from wear is really minimal.

The reason I put aluminum cases way below steel is not the material that goes into the case (that really doesn't matter that much), but rather the build quality of the cartridges.

American made aluminum cases are made to be as inexpensive as humanly possible, and that means quality hits. Steel case quality is meh tier at best, but it's still made on military equipment to military standards, vodka-soaked machine operator notwithstanding.

I've had more squibs, misfires, and case failures with aluminum than any other type of ammo.
>>
over a certain amount of shots, steel cases usually hurt a gun i have noticed in my experience with handguns

I have put 10k steel rounds only in one of my berretas

and 10k brass only in my other one, both of these being the Inox. The brass fire only had little to no degradation to the gun where the steel did.

Never the less there are pros and cons to all of them, just depends on what you value the most. Personally I love all steel everything fmj, going through targets & beings like butter :D
>>
>>33429852
>Limp wristing

Only time I've seen my G19 fail on cheap ammo was when a friend was shooting and doing this
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.