[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of getting one of these 7.62x51 Spanish mausers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

File: spanish 7.62x51.jpg (76KB, 658x441px) Image search: [Google]
spanish 7.62x51.jpg
76KB, 658x441px
I'm thinking of getting one of these 7.62x51 Spanish mausers for my birthday with any cash I may get. What parts are interchangeable with the 7x57 version? Is the bolt interchangeable?
>>
>>33423657
Apparently these have a particularly bad rust problem. Would avoid.
>>
>>33423657

Don't get it. Spain tried doing the rechamber thing with their Mausers like Israel and they failed spectacularly.
>>
>>33423657
>What parts are interchangeable with the 7x57 version? Is the bolt interchangeable?
Everything but the barrel.

>>33424111
These are the rifles that were generally in too poor a condition for SAMCO to make a buck off them, but sometimes you find a gem. The beauty of SAMCO was that they were lazy at inventory, so not all the good ones were dug out of the crap.

>>33424131
Which is why they did it 100,000 times, right?
>>
>>33424156

>Which is why they did it 100,000 times, right?

That's why I said "spectacularly"

They're cheap for a reason, and no, it's not quantity.
>>
>>33423657

I've been to J&G, and have seen the Mausers. Buy the 7x57, not the .308 conversion.

Those are listed as GUNSMITH SPECIALS for a very fucking good reason.

On any old rifle, have a gunsmith check the headspace and function, and DON'T use modern ammo.
>>
>>33424186
These rifles were made for 7.62 nato.
>>
>>33424198
Sort-of; they're all arsenal conversions. Spain ceased manufacture of M93-pattern rifles in 1938.
>>
>>33424186
I know they are, I plan to make a project of it. As long as the bore and headspace are good I can fix the remaining problems, parts are readily available.
>>
>>33424198
>These rifles were made for 7.62 nato.

Think so? They were refitted. STFU if you don't know WTF you're talking about, dipshit.
>>
File: 261du2g.jpg (32KB, 516x798px) Image search: [Google]
261du2g.jpg
32KB, 516x798px
>>33424167
>They're cheap for a reason, and no, it's not quantity.
They're cheap because they've sat in an non air conditioned Warehouse in Miami for 35 years, not because they're unsafe to shoot.
>>33424186
>and DON'T use modern ammo.
They're meant to fire 7.62NATO. Stop falling for the meme that they were meant to fire the "lower pressure" 7.62CETME cartridge (which isn't lower pressure btw). And no, 7mm Mauser and 7.62NATO pressures are comparable.

There is so much retarded fuddlore in the gun community.
>>
>>33424429

They're not going to explode, but they are just overall mediocre quality-wise. Not just wood, but the bolt is odd and everything became out of place during their conversion. I never shot one but all the reviews I read were negative.

I wanted to get one before but I gtfo once I saw the reviews. Even a Mosin is the better choice.
>>
Whats the deal with SAMCO?
>>
>>33424453
>but the bolt is odd and everything became out of place during their conversion.
I doubt that. The "soft" Spanish steel is a myth. Everyone repeats it, but doesn't show proof of it. Then someone will post an image of one blown up without context as it's some proof.
>>33424481
They went bankrupt.
>>
>>33423657
From what I've heard, they're in pretty rough shape, but you could get one that's a steal for the price. Imo I don't like buying guns I can't look at first, especially the bore if it's a milsurp. Anyway, happy birthday.
>>
File: 1408498103102.png (879KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1408498103102.png
879KB, 800x800px
>>33424186
>On any old rifle, DON'T use modern ammo.
Please don't spread misinformation and make enormous incorrect generalizations. If you don't know what you're talking about, then don't say anything.
>>
>>33424429
>7mm Mauser and 7.62NATO pressures are comparable.
5-10kpsi difference is not really considered comparable.
>>
>>33424735
>Please don't spread misinformation and make enormous incorrect generalizations

Check it, faggot:
>Hornady advises not to use their load data at all for 93s and 95s, only for 98s and modern actions. My Speer manual suggests using only the start data for the 93s and 95s.

Wow, I guess you must know more than Hornady and Speer?

Fucking dumbass.
>>
I have one, but in the middle of a move so no pics. The outside of the barrels have spectacular pitting like really really bad under the wood. I still have not shot mine due to one pit spot that makes me concerned about failing after a few hundred rounds.

The sights are garbage, the rear is pitted to uselessness for me and the front is permacanted, looked like someone replaced the sight hood. If it groups ok, Im going for a short m41b type build. Dont want to go full fudd.
>>
>>33424842
It's well within the safe limits of the action.
>>33424857
That's because of Fuddlore. SAAMI lists the max pressure of 7mm Mauser at 51,000 PSI, while the CIP says 56,565 PSI, which is the actual fucking military loading. SAAMI just doesn't care about old military guns. They want you to buy the modern Remchester, not some old gun competing with the manufactures they represent. They also made up their own specs for milsurp cartridges. Why? Because fuck you, that's why! The maximum allowed headspace for .303 is 4,000ths of an inch less for SAAMI than actual MOD.

You would think with all of the shit said about small ring Mausers they would be blowing up left and right and yet they are not.
>>
I'm not interested in a protracted argument with some very, very obvious ignorant kids with opinions that seem to based in some alternate reality.

Only a fool would take a 100+/- year-old surplus military rifle out to a range and start shooting anything that it seems to chamber.

I saw a kid get carted off in an ambulance with a chunk of Mosin receiver planted in his forehead last year. The "fudds" as still laughing about that one, plus a couple others.

All old firearms have to be inspected by a knowledgeable gunsmith, and extreme care must be taken when firing modern ammunition that may exceed pressures that the rifle was designed for.

Some of the /k/inderkommandos on this board have their heads squarely up their asses.

I'm out. Good luck kiddies.
>>
>>33425264
>You would think with all of the shit said about small ring Mausers they would be blowing up left and right and yet they are not.
Maybe because people with more than one braincell head the warning.
>>
I love how this "small ring mausers cant handle shit" meme, is exclusive to the US. the SAAMI are the biggest frauds ever concieved.
if a small ring mauser can handle 8x57 military loads it can handle any modern load of small caliber ammo
>>
>>33423657
If these are like the Chilean 1895s with their method of conversion, I would avoid them.

>gunsmith special

Which to me means it needs to be checked over by a gunsmith to insure that it is safe to fire.
>>
>>33425406
point to note.
I've heard people say to not use milsurp ammo in modern american guns on the other hand.
since saami rates pressures too fucking low.
8mm mauser have a max saami at 36kpsi or something, while cip have it at 56k
some specific guns shouldnt use modern ammo, and you will know when you buy one of those, like the norwegian krag, or the old scmidt und rubins
>>
>>33425406
>if a small ring mauser can handle 8x57 military loads it can handle any modern load of small caliber ammo
>8x57 military loads it can handle any modern load of small caliber ammo
>small caliber

Kek, real expert here, I see.
>>
>>33425321
Or maybe it's some shit SAAMI invented because SAAMI wants you to buy a Remchester and not buy an old surplus gun.
>>33425428
>If these are like the Chilean 1895s with their method of conversion, I would avoid them.
They aren't. Plus, it was only the long rifle Chileans that had the soldered in chamber adapter.
>>
>>33425496
>Chileans that had the soldered in chamber adapter.

Would that be the "small caliber" Chilean, or the "not so small caliber" Chilean?

Kek
>>
>>33425313

Good night, Fudd.
>>
>>33425755
>Good night, Fudd.
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Kek. G'night, retard, I hope you fire another round after a squib.
>>
>>33425786

I hope you nd your single shot shotgun into your leg but refuse to use a tourniquet because fuddlore told you it'll cause the limb to fall off and explode.
>>
>>33425736
That post you're referring to wasn't mine, but he was right to call it a small caliber as it's not a fucking cannon. They're called small arms for a reason.
>>
>>33425889

You don't understand the definition either?

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>33425814
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
kek, your "fudd lore" is all you, junior.
>>
If you want a Spanish Mauser in .308 just get a FR8 rifle
>>
>>33425955
>junior.

It's cute when someone think they're the adult in the conversation.
>>
>>33423657

I bought one of these, and had to return it. When I was breaking it down for a good cleaning I found heavy pitting under the handguard. The pitting was almost deep enough to break through into the rifling of the barrel. I ended up just returning it. Definitely avoid.
>>
>>33426707
Mine was pretty badly pitted too. I had to use an impact screwdriver to remove the screw holding on the stock.

Not so bad I had to return it, but they are definitely not in "good" condition as the site says. I don't even want to know how bad the gunsmith specials.
>>
>>33426707
>I found heavy pitting under the handguard. The pitting was almost deep enough to break through into the rifling of the barrel.

Naw, that's perfectly safe to shoot. All you do put some oil and a My Little Pony sticker on it and it's ready for double charged handloads.

You some kind of fudd or something?
>>
>>33426707
>>33426773
I almost caved and bought one of these yesterday but decided against it. Definitely glad I avoided that bullshit.
>>
>>33426798
You are a retard there is a difference between a damaged rifle and a non damaged one.
>>
>>33426798
kek
>>
File: 1340579790987.jpg (317KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
1340579790987.jpg
317KB, 800x500px
If you are looking for something as a project and planning on investing more into a literal garbage rod to make it work, go for it.

If not, look for a used Nugget at a gunshow or find a Turkish Mauser if you want the better action.
>>
File: MauserBayo.jpg (3MB, 4122x2509px) Image search: [Google]
MauserBayo.jpg
3MB, 4122x2509px
>ITT
>nobody owns one
Top kek, I have one of them I bought from samco.

Keep the loads low pressure and be prepared for a rather beat up gun.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x1722px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x1722px
>>33423657
I went with the 7.62NATO chambered one just because it can share ammo with my PTR 91, but if I were to buy one without that in mind, I'd get the original 7x57mm.
It's a nice rifle, far better than a Mosin which costs more nowadays.
Pay $20 more and get one that works (not the gun smith special)
>>
>>33424198
they only used the speshul snowflake 7.62 CETME with them
>>
>>33424912
>m41b
>Spanish Mauser
>7mm

Why ? For what purpose ?
>>
>>33425440
Can... can you not read properly ? Is this the autism everyone warned me about ?
>>
File: Mosqueton Mauser FR-8 P20.png (250KB, 1020x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Mosqueton Mauser FR-8 P20.png
250KB, 1020x1024px
>>33433682
No they weren't. God dammit. Read the fucking Spanish manual for them.
>>33424429

And again, 7.62CETME isn't a lower pressure cartridge. It's a lower RECOILING cartridge to help control the recoil of the early CETME rifle. The manual for the Mausers have conversion tables if you were using that cartridge, but the rifles were meant to fire 7.62NATO. END OF FUCKING STORY.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.