[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gauss guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: gauss.jpg (110KB, 620x265px) Image search: [Google]
gauss.jpg
110KB, 620x265px
Future or bust?
>>
50/50,
Instad of carying 4 mags you are gonna carry 4 battaries
>>
>>33423572
Who gives a fuck? fuck you. Fuck you, you inconsiderate asshole.
>>
>>33423694
What
>>
>>33423694
Did a gauss rifle steal your gf anon?
>>
File: cg-33-portable-coilgun.jpg (25KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
cg-33-portable-coilgun.jpg
25KB, 600x450px
>>33423572

http://www.coilgun.ru/

http://www.engineering.com/DesignerEdge/DesignerEdgeArticles/ArticleID/10960/Makers-Continue-to-Develop-Railgun-Technology.aspx

at the current rate, conventional munitions are still better for weapons because powder releases more energy with more reliable follow up shots for the implemented designs, i would give it about 100 years until the technology for better batteries or small scale fuel cells (if that's even a thing) become widespread (similar to mass effect weapons) batteries charge a capacitor bank leading to the rails, and a battery pack that can be quick swapped like a mag will be implemented, maybe the mag/battery pack could be one in the same, logistics would be a nightmare though.

on a different note, does anybody have a link to the website that used to sell kits similar to OPs picture? i had found it years ago, they were for sale for about 1-2k ameribucks and came semi auto (with mag) and shot metal rods/darts (or possibly flechetes)
>>
They make sense on battleships and aircraft carriers, possibly satellites. I get a boner every time I'm reminded of Rods of God

The tech is far off from now regarding handheld efficient ones.
>>
>>33423572
>>33423783

The future is going to be hybrids like the chemrail gun in Elysium. Chemical booster with a gauss accelerator mounted in the barrel for insane muzzle velocities with .50bmg/20mm stopping power and relatively light recoil.
>>
>>33423835
I misread that as chemtrail gun
>>
>>33423674

like >>33423783 said you would need mags AND batteries, so 50% reduction in ammo to the warfigter (could be offset with boosted strength from DARPA exoskeleton or a mech suit)
>>
>>33423835
>relatively light recoil
Is gas exiting the muzzle really that big of a contributor to recoil?
>>
>>33423943
If you're already wearing power armor, the gauss gun could theoretically be plugged in to the suit's own power source so no separate batteries would be needed.
>>
>>33423572
They're the 21st century version of the Girandoni air rifle.

Theoretically, they can outperform any other kind of small arms we have right now, but cost and logistical issues will keep them from replacing normal guns for the foreseeable future.
>>
With the invention of graphene, and countless advances in genetics and material science, military in 100 years will basically be Metal Gear.
>>
>>33423943
Exoskeletons have very a limited application (carry stuff) for what they cost in money and energy (energy being a huge limitation).
In other words, it's a meme.
>>
>>33424075
ID tagged soldiers with ID tagged gear using ID tagged weapons
>>
>>33424025
>Theoretically, they can outperform any other kind of small arms we have right now

lol, no they fucking can't. they're goddamn toys capped by how much electricity you can shove into them, which currently is not much compared to literally any chemical propellant.
>>
Next to useless until we get better batteries and Capacitors

Having to carry both proyectiles and batteries might be a deal-breaker, but we might get some interesting proyectiles from this
>>
>>33423943

>amplifying its user's strength 17 times

The fuck does this even mean? If you're some buff dude that puts the suit on, does it make you proportionally stronger?
>>
>>33423572

Bust. It will always be more efficient to convert chemical energy directly to mechanical than going from chemical to electrical to mechanical. Chemical propellants are limited by the materials of the gun itself, not by the power of the propellant.
>>
The best application for gauss type accelerators is the replacement of grenade/rocket launcher booted charges.
>pros
>grenades can replace propellant with more explosive charge.
>virtually silent/little firing signature.
>imagine a Mk 20 that is silent, nearly undetectable and has better blast/frag.
>same with rocket launchers.
>a Javelin that can be fired indoors with no back blast/firing signature.
>>
>>33425421
No. It boosts your strength by an amount.
>The suit can do 17x what the average soldier can lift.
>>
>>33423967
It's more the jerk forces of instantaneously accelerating a projectile to its maximum velocity in as hard and uncontrolled of a fashion as they do, along with the reciprocating mass involved in auto-loading a cartridge long enough to give a rifle bullet any sort of muzzle velocity.

Meanwhile, imagine a real-life chemrail. Let's take a pistol carbine that fires something big, like a .45ACP, 10mm, or even a 454 Casull. Make it a bullpup, and give it a barrel ~24" long.

As a straight-up rifle, it can fire a .45 round to ~1500 fps. With a Kriss-style recoil mitigating bolt carrier system, it will probably kick about as hard as a .223.

Now, let's modify that barrel into a railgun or coilgun that can gently accelerate that round down the barrel so that instead of ~1500fps, it now leaves the muzzle at >4000fps.

Spreading that delta-V over the length of a ~25" barrel now means that you have a gun that kicks like a 7.62 between the chemical and electrical recoil, while being able to rip holes through armor plate and make a Barrett look like a 10/22.
>>
>>33425607
You would still have issues with recoil and weight, however with exoframes this might be mitigated.
>>
>>33425626
I'm thinking that weight would be the main issue, as even making that design as light as possible would end you up with something the weight of an OICW.

Recoil would luckily be more manageable with that weight, though yeah, endurance will be a bitch and a half.
>>
>>33423572
railguns are better for anything over airshit velocities
>>
>>33425607
>Kriss-style recoil mitigating bolt carrier system
The bolt carrier system does nothing to mitigate recoil you buffoon. The reason it's good is because it allows the grip to be perfectly in line with the bore which allows for perfect control despite recoil.
>>
>>33426012
>directs a mass of a few hundred grams straight down
>is supposed to have zero effect on muzzle rise

I mean, Kriss fucking chose to name the gun after the fact that the BCG was specifically designed to vector force downwards to counter muzzle rise. That's all the designer from back in the TDI days could talk about whenever they demo'd the gun.

The in-line grip was just the icing on the cake and there are far less bulky ways to achieve that on its own if that's all you want.
>>
>>33423572

It's the future, but I don't know why anyone would bother with digital components in them. If you're going to make an electrically operated weapon, why not make it all analog? Specifically thinking of the Ruger electronX here.
>>
>>33423783

>i would give it about 100 years until the technology for better batteries or small scale fuel cells (if that's even a thing) become widespread

I'd give it 25-50, more if home nuclear power is allowed (this is less insane than it might sound).
>>
>>33424485
if the battery capacity increased could an exoskeleton be used for power armor pragmatically?
>>
>>33427503
Yes, and actually that's the only future of such a device: exotanks for heavy infantry (if and when it's needed on the future battlefields...).
>>
>>33423572
As weapons? Bust.

They have some relevant uses though.

>>33423835
Rocket-accelerated projectiles are way easier and lighter.
>relatively light recoil
Lrn2physics, retard
>>33425607
>"spreading recoil" over literally less than .005 seconds
That's not gonna do jack-shit from any practical perspective. The gunshot event itself is effectively an instantaneous impulse. BUFFERING recoil over say, a tenth of a second works, but that has nothing to do with how uniformly the projectile is accelerated and works EVERY BIT as well on a chemically-fired gun as on an electric one.
>>33426012
The bolt and carrier on the Kriss do form a legitimate recoil buffer (a derpy one, but nonetheless). Shit works. Try talking to someone who's actually fired one.
>>
>>33423572
We would need a really big breakthrough in energy efficiency for them to be a viable option.
>>
The moment someone starts to implement weapons that work on electricity they're fucked, cause one unlucky solar flare or EMP attack and weapons are poo.
>>
>>33430520
>EMP
theres that word again
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.