[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lead Poisoning after handling ammo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2

File: nice digits xddd.jpg (18KB, 1196x296px) Image search: [Google]
nice digits xddd.jpg
18KB, 1196x296px
Imagine you're in a survival situation, you don't have soap or any other thing to wash your hands with, but you have a natural water source.
I always am concerned about lead poisoning after firing guns yadda yadda.
Anyone know if water is enough to wash your hands after handling cartridges like .22 LR?
>>
>>33423273

I just rinse my hands off with water every time. Never use soap or anything
>>
Dude unless you are taking the lead right out of the cartridges and eating them daily you are fine
>>
>>33423273
The CDC mandates that all government officials wash their hands within 48 hours of handling lead-based ammunition. After that, nothing can be done, and permanent brain damage sets in.

They've done numerous studies on this.
>>
You'll be fine OP, the whole idea is overblown. Gun owners think too much.
>>
>>33423322
Wrong. Our family ate a deer once that I had hunted with leadcast bullets. The next day, my two children were dead.

There's a reason why they tell you to hunt with pure copper bullets, OP.
>>
>>33423321
but will water do?
since most answers say it's okay with just water
>>
Haha

Wait you're serious?

Hahahahahahahaha.

God what a pussy. You would need to simultaneously eat a pound of lead and use lead flakes as an enema before you notice any effects. If you are truly that scared of lead poisoning either sell all your guns or an hero as you are too retarded to be trusted with them.
>>
>>33423357
Oh
Good to know
>>
Look OP, lead poisoning is serious. But all the modern guidelines are set up to lessen our exposure as much as possible. Its takes quite a bit of exposure to start fucking up your body. And as long as you are aware and take precautions, you're gonna be fine.
And even if in a survival situation, if its a situation that lasts decades, you'll most likely be killed by something else than lead poisoning.
>>
>>33423273
Soap works by binding to grease

Lead doesn't contain grease.
>>
Reminder that their is NO minimal dose for lead toxicity to occur.
>>
>>33423321
>The CDC mandates that all government officials wash their hands within 48 hours of handling lead-based ammunition. After that, nothing can be done, and permanent brain damage sets in.
Can take seconds if they pick their nose, touch their eye, or eat a sandwich.
>>
Fun fact, there are stories of frontiersmen that in rough times would pick bullets back out of animals they killed and chew them back round for reuse during hunting trips, and none of them ever died from lead poisoning
>>
>>33423513
Fun fact: Toxicology didn't exist in the 17th century.
>>
>>33423355
Wow, really? I've never felt that feel.
>>
>>33423457
/thread
especially nice last point
>>
>>33423298
I carve little ridges into lead tip and use them to de-itch my asshole.

Should i be concerned?
>>
God Damn what has the world become? You special snowflakes worrying about something as trivial as this. I fucking weep for the next generation.
>>
>>33423522
Fun fact: Toxicity is massively overblown in the 21st century.

A little lead won't hurt you. Chronic exposure to a little lead throughout your childhood will drop your IQ a few points. To actually do serious dire damage you need A LOT of lead in your body.

Current guidelines are set up to ensure that children don't have chronic exposures to low levels of lead. If you, as an adult, have occasional exposures to low levels of lead, you're going to be fine.
>>
>>33423595
No that only increases your resistance towards lead
>>
>>33423273
The only time I've ever heard of it being an issue is at an indoor .22-only range, where people are firing a lot of unjacketed bullets that create lead dust. In that scenario, you just want to make sure you wash your hands after shooting, preferably with cold water.
>>
>>33423513
Frontiersmen didn't live long enough to suffer the effects of lead poisoning anyway. Lead poisoning is a slow buildup that typically shows it's effects later in life. My grandfather's lead poisoning severely deteriorated his health, memory, eyesight, vision etc. He died at 76. A frontiersman in the old days would almost certainly not live past 65, and not grow old enough for lead poisoning to have its maximum effect.
>>
>>33423356
They were being ironic dude.
>>
>>33424006
76? OMG cut down on the prime of life.
>>
>>33423273
My gf got me some lead cleaning wipes last Christmas and I like using them. She's an RN and she's a big on germs and contamination, she used to hate when I'd come back from the range and there's lead all over my hands. Me and my brother and cousins always go out to eat afterwords so it doesn't hurt to clean up
>>
>>33423273
>26 posts

just buy some fucking gloves dude
>>
You're retarded. You would need hundreds of millions of instances of skin contact to contract any noticeable lead buildup. Lead Poisoning is chiefly a product of ingestion or inhalation.
>>
>>33423273
You idiot, every man , woman and child from the 60s were probably exposed to more lead in one day than youve seen in your whole lifetime, just from fueling cars, lawnmowers, go karts...
>>
>>33424006
Reminds me of the pipefitter that succumbed to asbestos exposure at 96
>>
>>33423273

If you practice basic good handling practices you will be fine.

I remember reading a report that stated that micronized airborne lead is more dangerous. They did a survey of toll booth operators who breathed in car exhaust fumes all day and they had blood lead levels off the charts when compared with some mill workers who recycled car batteries all day. (physically handling lead)
>>
>>33423513
Medics in the Revolutionary war would also give lead musket balls to soldiers that they were doing surgery on so that they could chew them and gnaw on them during painful parts of the operation.
>>
>Imagine you're in a survival situation, you don't have soap or any other thing to wash your hands with,
I find it hard to imagine myself so poorly prepared. I don't leave home without baby wipes. Do you faggots even /edc/?
>>
>>33423468
You are right, but just wanna add on soap binds to any lipid substance, period. So if the lead is not in a pure form, soap would help a bit
>>
Holy fuck. Are you all to young to remember leaded gas? Lead paint? Water pipes held together with lead not solder? IF any one got lead poisoning it was from eating or breathing it in amounts greater than you will ever do these days. Look out chicken little the sky is falling
>>
>>33423273
I don't buy lead rounds unless i have too.

CDC recommends using ash as soap when none is present.

Im sure more than a few people have eaten duck or rabbit with lead shot in em but, I just buy steel.
>>
>>33426580
More than just lipids, detergents "bind" any hydrophobic mollecules.
>>
>>33423273
I already have arsenic poisoning so I'm not worried about it. I just hope somebody shoots me before I completely lose my faculties and go feral.
>>
Don't worry you'll die from something else.
>>
Buy copper plated .22s if you're fucking worried about handling them. Unless you're shooting cheap-o .38s or .45LC, most other ammo is jacketed.
>>
>>33425333
checked and rekt
>>
>>33425506
The problem is that you may run out of hygiene products if you somehow manage to survive for long.
>>
If people were washing enough lead off their hands to dangerously pollute your creek, you'd already be dead from the cloud of bullets.
>>
Thread reminds of the argument about lead amalgam fillings, I've had constant exposure from them for decades.
>>
Use heavy metal soap to was your hands. There are a few that are advertise specifically for lead. I started use that shit when my doc told me my blood lead level was super fucking high, almost dangerous levels.

Of course, this isn't from just handling ammo, this was from dry tumbling cases in my garage and handing every step of reloading with no gloves. Also eating and drinking on the range. My lead level has since gone down through a combination of washing hands after shooting or reloading, taking a cold shower as soon as possible after shooting, not eating or drinking while shooting, taking steps to stop tracking lead into the house, and consuming certain foods that supposedly help, such as whole milk and milo.
>>
>>33423356
Water itself will do.

Soap works by lessening the surface tension of water, thus allowing it to get into the microscopic nooks and crannies of your skin more easily. Same thing with hot water.

While were on the subject, soapy water is what you use to wash your hands. I see loads of people wetting their hands and then just rubbing soap over them. That doesn't do shit. Mix the soap with water.
>>
>>33423273
I think you'll be fine, my dad pulls lead bullets out of his Musket cartridges with his teeth all the time and molds his own bullets for it and every time he gets a check up they say his lead levels are below average. Water is going to get off enough of it that its not really going to matter.
>>
>>33430228
>Soap works by lessening the surface tension of water, thus allowing it to get into the microscopic nooks and crannies of your skin more easily. Same thing with hot water.

Uh, no.

Soap encapsulates the oily debris on your skin, loosened by the mechanical action of you rubbing your hands together, allowing the debris to be washed away. Hot water helps soap work.
>>
>you don't have soap or any other thing to wash your hands with, but you have a natural water source.
There might be something in the environment you can use in lieu of soap. I know in the region I grew up, there's a sort of cactus-type plant that you break apart and squeeze out the sap and that works well for soap.

If you're really that scared, use some leaves to grab stuff when loading your magazine or something.
>>
>>33423680
>damn special snowflakes worrying about permanent brain damage
>>
>>33423273
Get a box of nitrile gloves, problem solved.
>>
Romans and lead spoons and pipes
>>
>>33429357
>uses the term "EDC"
>expecting to survive for long
>>
If your survival situation is long term enough to worry about lead poisoning, it's long enough to make lye water from wood ash and use it to saponify animal or plant fats to make soap.
>>
>>33423273

You do know it's the act of hand scrubbing that cleans your hands. The soap just traps the nasty shit, makes it easier to wash off. So if you got a water supply, just scrub like crazy and you'll be fine (I'm a janitor at a hospital, I clean all those nasty as fuck rooms, from ED, Surgery, isolation rooms, etc. So I know a thing or two about germs and how to get rid of them) so you'll be fine from some lead.
>>
File: 1488122362592.png (256KB, 767x750px) Image search: [Google]
1488122362592.png
256KB, 767x750px
>>33423478
how bad is casting lead at a campfire unprotected?
Also if anyone knows; what were the effects of aluminum foil fumes in my eye? I put the aluminum in hydrocloric acid.
>>
>>33430179
It's sorghum you fucking freak.
>>
>>33432153
>what were the effects
well can you still see?
>>
>>33432187
Yea but it did burn at the time and make things blurry for a couple days, and maybe a little more overall blurry. It can be corrected for with a lens so it hasn't like fogged my lens or anything. If it did it was only just enough to get me to get glasses, but my vision was already poor and I can't honestly say if it was this. I want to know if there maybe was some chemical reaction on the surface of my eye though
>>
>>33423273
Lead poisoning is a serious thing but the worst damage is done in childhood. If you've completed brain development then you don't have too much to worry about.

The phasing out of leaded petrol plus a few years of children growing up correlates with a reduction in crime, the effect is very strong but it's difficult to actually prove. So stunting mental development is (probably) a real thing but adult exposure isn't such a big deal.
>>
>>33423495
Bullshit. I handled lead with my bare hands every day for 3 years then didn't wash my hands before going straight to lunch. I would be horribly fucked if what you're saying is true. What you're saying sounds more like mercury.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.