[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hunting/Outdoor defense bullets.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: bltcrsectnsldmat.jpg (138KB, 579x191px) Image search: [Google]
bltcrsectnsldmat.jpg
138KB, 579x191px
When I go camping or just hiking out innawoods, I carry a 9mm since its the only time I can OC in FL. I know the chance of me ever having to use it, but for Gators, Feral hogs, coyotes, and the very occasional black bear which projectile would be best hard cast lead, solid copper, JHP?

On one hand, Solid copper makes sense to me, because for big animals like hogs bears or gators, penetration makes sense to be more important as well as thick skulls and bones that might make lead ineffective? But generally JHP or lead are used for self defense because they cause more trauma? Im just confused by the whole thing.
>>
I havent seen any tests or done any myself but i would think hardcast lead would penetrate deeper than copper. Ive shot deer for years with 255grn? Hardcast in 45 out of a 1911. Dont listen to advise of internet experts .though. id go to homedepot and buy a 10 ft 2x10. Cut into 12 in long pieces. Screw together to stacks of 5 and shoot with whatever loads you want to try. No wood doesnt = bone but will prove a point
>>
Haven't heard of too many people going toe to toe with a bear using 9. Personally I'd use something bigger against all the animals you've listed. But that's just me. As for your inquiry at hand. I'd go with the solid brass for penetration because against those kinds of animals you need everything you can get out of a 9mm
>>
>>33422611
>gators

You can take them of your list because you can kill them with a .22. I grew up in Homestead FL and use to ride my ATV in the glades, killed many a gator with a .22
>>
>>33422611
>>33423120
>I'd go with the solid brass for penetration because against those kinds of animals you need everything you can get out of a 9mm

JHP if fine then. brass/copper monometal has too little sectional density to really penetrate deep into watery medium. Harder metals are only good for penetration of metal/steel - where speed counts more than mass. for meat, mass is more important. Btw, ppl who harvest gators for a living kill them with .22lr.
>>
>>33423088
That sounds like a good idea, i might have to do that
>>33423120
Its not something id expect to do, and eventually I would like to get soemthing bigger but for just hiking and camping in pine forests adn swamps i think itll handle anything i come across, just tryna find a good all around loading
>>33423163
Really? I wouldnt think youd be able to get a gator with a .22
>>33423178
That makes a lot of sense

Up until now Ive just been alternately loading JHP and solid copper bullets whenever I go out, but I always feel silly doing that.
>>
>>33423251
>Really? I wouldnt think youd be able to get a gator with a .22

Yeah they aren't hard to kill you just have to shoot then in the right place see pic. I'd be the most worried about hogs. I caught a baby once and the mom came running out of the brush, knocked my ATV over and I ended up running around my ATV in circles while unloading a whole clip of 45 ACP into it.
>>
>>33423369
For got pic
>>
>>33423369
yeah, hogs are pretty fucking bad, and ive seen hunting vids where a center mass shot with 308 just deflects off a shoulder and thing is still kicking aorund
>>
There's never a valid reason to carry JHP, especially if you think you'll be attacked by an animal.

FMJ is always better. Don't believe the expanding ammo meme.
>>
>>33423517
Would you go away already?
>>
>>33423517
why though?
>>
>>33423517
But hollow points actually do expand. And the fragment, making it less likely to go through a person and harm anyone or anything behind them. I don't really know whether the expanding bullet does more damage or increases the likelihood of dropping an assailant - but I want to know I've done everything in my power to avoid harming innocent bystanders if I'm forced to shoot an attacker.

I carry JHP in the city and FMJ in the woods.
>>
>>33423629
The shoot-through danger is WAY overstated... to sell JHP.
>>
>>33423562
>>33423580
>>33423629
Zed has been a shit trip fag for years, stop responding to him and he'll have no reason to post.
>>
>>33423660
>The shoot-through danger is WAY overstated... to sell JHP.

Do you have any source to this?
>>
>>33425191
Do you have any examples of someone being injured by a shoot-through in a SD situation?

Then, there's your answer.
>>
>>33425223
absence of evidence isnt evidence of absence.
>>
>>33425253
That... doesn't really apply here. It would be like saying "We all need to put elephant guards around our swimingpools to stop the baby elephants from drowning! BABY ELEPHANTS PEOPLE!", and then when someone says,
"But... no baby elephants have drowned in swimming pools like, ever.", responding with,
"ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE ISNT EVIDENCE OF ABSENCE REEEEEEEEEEEEE"

You see what I mean?
>>
>>33425279
soul bro asked for evidence, all you said was there isnt any evidence of it happening, literally saying that teh lack of example of someone being shot through and hitting someone else is evidence that JHP is overrated. You are literally saying absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

Literally.
>>
>>33425223
https://youtu.be/nZN7X9Npmr4
3:40 for the shot
>>
>>33425327
Awesome as that is, I don't think it's a self-defense shooting with FMJ.
>>
>>33425395
But it still goes to show that shoot throughs do and can happen. How often? Eh I wouldn't even know where to begin getting that data, and how often does it lead to the death of the victim, but, better safe than sorry, also, expanding bullets have a higher chance of hitting and cutting major blood vessels.

Tl;Dr, hollow points are nice to have.
>>
>>33425439
My point was never "shoot-throughs can't happen". That's obviously nonsensical.

My point is that the odds are so astronomically low of it happening that it's not worth the extra expense and lowered feed reliability of JHP to try to prevent it.

It's just a non-issue in SD shootings.
>>
>>33425395
>>33425279
>>33425223
>>33423660
Stop shitting up my thread with your crap logic.
>>
>>33425467
>the odds are so astronomically low of it happening in an SD situation and injuring someone innocent
^ corrected
>>
>>33425467
But I like hollow points better.
>>
File: poster-thinkinkg.jpg (44KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
poster-thinkinkg.jpg
44KB, 800x600px
>>33425568
Lots of people do. I can't argue against your opinions, just against the reasons you hold those opinions.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.