[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan-UK Fighter Project Sign Of Closer Defense Partnership

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

http://aviationweek.com/combat-aircraft/japan-uk-fighter-project-sign-closer-defense-partnership

>Britain and Japan will look at jointly developing a fighter, probably for entry into service in the 2030s. The surprising move is the latest bringing the two countries closer in defense technology. Even if an Anglo-Japanese fighter does not emerge in the end, BAE Systems is likely to be interested in assisting Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) in an indigenous combat aircraft program.

Well this was a surprise
>>
File: 2.jpg (307KB, 1360x921px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
307KB, 1360x921px
And in case you were curious what Japan has been working on, this is the latest. A long range heavy fighter/interceptor.
>>
File: ccc6f0b9a98e3256ebcb9ec00c29199a.jpg (703KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
ccc6f0b9a98e3256ebcb9ec00c29199a.jpg
703KB, 1440x900px
Pretty cool, I'm glad the UK is paying attention to the Pacific and Far East, anything to stack the odds a little bit more against China. The heyday of British aircraft design is long since over but I expect that a Brit/Jap fighter would have the potential to be excellent.
>>
>>33420449
wait why the jap is so brown?
>>
File: IMG_0055.jpg (40KB, 375x341px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0055.jpg
40KB, 375x341px
>>33420502
Because brits think they're fucking black compared to them.
>>
>>33420454

Sooooooooo..... the UK and Japan think the F-35 is a flop/can't perform their specific needs?
>>
So F35 confirmed for shit?
>>
>>33420454

This makes sense, both Japan and the UK are island nations with a LONG coastline and lots of maritime airspace, the idea that a single engine fighter aircraft would solve all their needs is ridiculous, they both need something with exceptionally long legs, and the F-22 is out of the question. It's just a shame they didn't start something earlier 2030 is a long way away.
>>
the U.K. Will eventually drop out of it after the japs refuse to make a fighter that doesn't also transform into a robot.
>>
>>33420547
>>33420552
Nah, I guess they will try to develop more of a F-22 like fighter.
The original american intent was to have both F-22s and F-35s cooperating like the F-16s and F-15s they where ment to replace. One is a heavier air-to-air jet with awesome physical performance and the other is a cheap(er), more numerous and smaller multi-role fighter.

Now, the US only has a very small number of F-22s so their plan for the near future seems to be to compliment their F-35s and F-22s with modernised F-15s to haul a shitload of missiles into battle - along with F-35s that are also loaded up with missiles under their wings (=less stealthy) flying in the rear. Still there are jobs where you'd want to use an F-22 that the modern F-15s just can't do.

No more F-22s will likely get made and the US won't sell them to foreign countries anyways, so for other western countries that will be flying F-35s developing a dedicated, steathy, complimenting fighter/interceptor seems like a logical step. Something that can be up there with the best in terms of raw physical capasity (wich the F-35 isn't) but is steathly.
>>
File: Alliance.jpg (169KB, 300x459px) Image search: [Google]
Alliance.jpg
169KB, 300x459px
>>33420502
As its far as i can tell a shop.

See how his hand is still tan in the OP.
>>
>>33420884
And as i can't edit my post at 2nd look he looks like the guy from Evangelion too.
>>
>>33420817
>>33420774

Exactly, it' not about being better, it's a parallel development. A hi-lo formation most larger air forces operate. The issue is that currently there is no "high" for NATO affiliated countries. The F-22 is not for sale and the F-35 is pretty short legged. DESU European should have taken this more seriously, anybody following the F-35 development, pro or anti, could see that it had a few very specific roles, and being a long range interceptor wasn't one of them
>>
File: 1402687403373.jpg (17KB, 399x276px) Image search: [Google]
1402687403373.jpg
17KB, 399x276px
>>33420896
>he looks like the guy from Evangelion too.
That's because he is.
>>
>>33420449

I don't find this that suprising.

The UK has already partnered with Turkey to help them develop their own indigenous fighter - the UK defence airspace industry looks to reassert itself.
>>
Makes sense:

Both countries need the ability to intercept ALCM/AShM carrying strategic bombers & long range strike aircraft far over the ocean (from Russia for both and China for Japan), both countries have a relatively large. Both countries need to replace their fourth generation aircraft acting as interceptors around this time. Both countries need this new aircraft to operate effectively alongside the F-35. Both countries are very close US allies, so technology transfer of shared technology won't be an issue.

Considering that the UK & Japan are also working on a joint successor to the Meteor missile with an AESA seeker, and Exercise Guardian North 16 last year, the first non-American joint exercise in Japan, where four RAF Typhoons among other things practiced interceptions. Part of the reason for friction on previous joint European aerospace projects, like the Typhoon and Tornado has been because of differing project member requirements, it will be interesting to see if a UK-Japan collaboration will work out better.
>>
>>33421269
I guess that smany of the smaller countries (mine included) who are buying F-35s haven't got the need for anything else tho - many where only flying F-16s before anyways and in that perspective the F-35 has a lot better range and of course is stealthy ect.
But for larger militaries you are right; hi-lo is the name of the game, and even tho the Eurofighter does compliment the F-35 nicely both the UK and especially Japan could use something with good range, stealth, payload and kinetic performance
>>
The US doesn't need something like this because they have stealth bombers. The B-2 successor is right around the corner.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.