[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Innawoods in PA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: PA1.gif (16KB, 548x413px) Image search: [Google]
PA1.gif
16KB, 548x413px
Where are some good places in PA to go innawoods? Was thinking of doing the stalker challenge, but I live near Philly. Poconos, maybe?

Also, what would be a good bear rifle for such an occasion? I wanted a nugget but decent ones are expensive as fuck now. Should I just get a 12? Or a boltgun? I would kinda dig a scout rifle like a mossberg patrol, but I know fuck all about innawooding.
>>
File: fed-lands-map.png (504KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
fed-lands-map.png
504KB, 1200x900px
>>
>>33420312Gee, that's really informative. Thanks, anon!
>>
welp
>>
File: 1485203836302.jpg (50KB, 528x543px) Image search: [Google]
1485203836302.jpg
50KB, 528x543px
>>33420299
Went to Juniata College out in Huntingdon. Altoona mountains are innawoods as fuck.

>it's where they filmed deliverance
>driving up the heritage route to visit
>going through Orbisonia
>house built 2 inches off the road
>mfw guy with 3 foot beard cleaning a shotgun in a rocking chair gives a wave and two toothed smile
>>
There's a lot of innawoods in PA and a good deal of /k/ommandos.

We can teach you the way of the woods.

The bear here aren't common and bow hunters get first crack, I've never even seen one hunting.

A simple pump action shot gun is always a fine investment. Mossberg or Rem both work people can nit pick. A mav 88 is fine for a tighter budget.

Scout rifles are great but skip Mossbergs, you can easily find something old and make your own for a lot less.
>>
>>33420484
Don't wanna hunt bears so much as I want to make sure they aren't hunting me
>>
>>33420509
Got ya, While it's a valid worry, in my 30+ years on this earth I've seen bear twice in PA. They are clumsy fucks, check some youtube attacks 95% of the time they are stupid is what stupid does.

A shot gun or anything in the 30 cal range will work in the case. Also any large bore 10mm 357 or larger pistol in a pinch.
>>
>>33420523
Ill probably just get a mossberg 500 and be done with it. I still gotta find a place to innawoods though
>>
>>33420523
I'm using my Allegheny hiking/canoeing trip this summer as an excuse to pick up a 10mm
>>
>not grabbing SKS to go innawoods
joking aside, it'd be a great gun for black bears and it looks like a hunting rifle so soccer moms are less likely to call the police
>>
>>33420299
If you live near philly where i do, theres French Creek. That's where I did my challenges
>>
>>33421093
>French Creek
Looks promising. Any abandoned structures nearby? I was also thinking maybe Ridley Creek State park but being so close to the burbs it might be a bad idea

>33420929
A decent SKS is hella expansive nowadays, tho
>>
>>33420826
You won't be let down
>>33420929
Give in, if you get good loads or hand load it's a hoot.
>>33420944
So true, some of my favorite times in life are a day hike inna woods with SKS and a flask.
>>
File: IMG_0221.jpg (456KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0221.jpg
456KB, 1024x768px
In central PA there is Kato, formerly a mining village, now a popular destination for 4x4ing. It lies between Snow Shoe and Orviston along Beech Creek. If you decide to go 4x4ing there come well equipped and with multiple vehicles.
Further north near Clearfield is the Quehanna wild area, which includes it's own radioactive exclusion zone:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quehanna_Wild_Area#Atoms_for_Peace
In a state that's about 70% inna woods to begin with it's about as deep inna woods as it's possible to be.

Pic is the Beech Creek ford at Kato.
>>
>>33420312
Man, I'm jealous of people who live in the Rockies.
>>
Can anyone here explain to me where it is legal to shoot in PA? Is it fine to shoot on any public land? Are there state designated ranges? Or am I stuck joining a gun club?

I'm in Schuylkill if that helps in any way.

It is surprisingly hard to find any clear, state specific, explanation online.
>>
>>33425275
bamp, want an answer to this
>>
>>33425275
There's only one that I know of in the Poconos on State game lands. Everything else does seem to be membership gun clubs and sleazy indoor ranges, but my knowledge of only extends to East pa
>>
>>33425839
Thanks for the answer.

If there isn't any broad policy allowing shooting on public land, I doubt I'm going to be able to find any information online. I'm going to try emailing my county sherrif instead, see of he has any suggestions.
>>
>>33426017
I too would like to know. I'd much rather be alone shooting into a mountain side than at even a taxpayer funded public outdoor range getting brass gremlined and nigs magdumping and not knowing what cold range means.
>>
>>33420509
Bears are pretty chill in the lower 48. The only places they'll usually give you any real trouble are around national parks where they've gotten used to stupid asshole tourists feeding them. Generally, though, as long as you keep your food and trash policed and make a little bit of noise as you hike you'll be okay. I'd be more worried about mountain lions, deer, and snakes, to be honest.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.