[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time supressor ownership

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: photo_2017-03-24_19-30-54.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-03-24_19-30-54.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
So, I just got my first suppressor out of NFA jail yesterday. I have a few questions about it.

1. Can I shoot it wet? I've seen some people say you can't shoot rifle suppressors wet, and others saying you can.
2. How often should I check for alignment while shooting? I have a QD mount for it and it seems to lock in there pretty tight.
>>
>>33415322
When you say shoot it wet, do you mean liquid on the outside or inside of the suppressor? If it's just some rain, it won't hurt, but submerging it after sustained firing will probably warp it. If you mean liquid on the inside, you should check with the manufacturer or the manual. Some of them are able to make use of certain liquids inside to dampen noise, but check first. Also, you shouldn't have to worry about alignment very much. If you're using a brake as an adapter for the suppressor, it will stay tight for quite a while. Sustained fire or full auto fire means you should check it every couple hundred rounds. Take a pair of those heavy duty gardening gloves to the range and give the suppressor a twist every so often to make sure it's tight. Normally this isn't necessary.
>>
>>33415438
I mean putting wire pulling gel or water on the inside. Supposedly it makes it 15-30 db quieter. I checked everything I could find, theres no mention of shooting it wet in any of the manuals.
>>
>>33415474
What brand of suppressor is it?
>>
>>33415486
YHM Phantom LT. 30
>>
>>33415490
call/email YHM, since they are the ones that the warranty is with. That way you know for certain if it blows the fuck up or falls off or something, you can at least say they said it was ok to run wet.
>>
>>33415529
One of the cool things about YHM's warranty is that if you fuck up the suppressor at all, you can mail it back to them and they will repair or replce it for free.
>>
>>33415490
I checked their warranty (on the site) and it says you shouldn't even use water to cool their full auto suppressor. Typically those things are built to withstand a lot more abuse than standard suppressors, so water internally or externally would severely damage both that version and yours. If you've ever heard of hydrolocking an engine, it's a similar concept. Just as water in a cylinder can't be compressed and will cause the piston rod to bend, the water in certain supressors will cause rapid cooling and all the metal that had to expand to accomodate higher temperatures and pressure will contract too fast and cause warping and even cracking.

If you used a very small amount of water and fired a round every 5 seconds or so, you might be alright, but I wouldn't recommend it at all.
>>
>>33415541
Then fill it with peanut butter and see how many dbs you lose
>>
>>33415587
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I've seen people put 1 tsp of water into their suppressors to quiet them down, but it only lasts for about 10 rounds.
>>
File: 20170311_133804.jpg (2MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170311_133804.jpg
2MB, 2880x2160px
>>33415322
>>33415490
>>33415541
Yes, YHM should have a good warranty. But they also make sure that they state in a few spots that if you don't have a "qualified gunsmith" install the adapter that it voids the warranty. I have an original YHM Phantom 308 and I have never shot it wet. I don't think I ever will. If I could take it apart and clean it, sure.
I don't know about the LT, but the regular Phantom is built like a tank and I'm sure it can handle a dunk in water and be shot.
>>
File: 20170310_162543.jpg (3MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170310_162543.jpg
3MB, 2880x2160px
>>33415675
I might try it on my 308 phantom while shooting 223 at some point though. But again, I don't want to clean it.
>>
>>33415722
from what ive seen with rifles, they are almost self cleaning. the pressure built up in the can is enough to blow a small amount of carbon away, so the suppressor gets dirty up to a point and then just stays there, , unlike rimfire suppressors.
>>
>>33415593
Best post
>>
File: 20170211_184237.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170211_184237.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>33415741
Eh, sure. They stay clean for the most part, but they still build up. I'm sure if I never shot wolf or tula ammo through it that it would stay cleaner.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
My basic rule on this is I try not to shoot supers wet. There is more pressure and little point. If I do, I usually just spray in some remoil or something, rather than gooing up the inside with gel.
With subs, it's different. There is less pressure and it makes shooting more fun. I use a syringe to shoot in 5 CCs of wire pulling gel into the blast chamber. Make sure the gel won't occlude the bore. Most guys like to give the can a good wack on the side to move the gel off the center line and against one side of the can.
>pic related my suck and blow end cap
>>
>>33415722
If you're going for decibel reduction, you could try firing subsonic rounds in combination with the suppressor. The supersonic crack of .30 and 5.56 are pretty similar, even if 5.56 is slightly quieter in terms of decibels.

Also, if you really don't want to take it apart and clean it (don't blame you), you can see if any gun stores near you offer ultrasonic cleaning. Much easier and more efficient than manually getting rid of carbon buildup.
>>
>>33415817
>suck and blow
oany good at it ladiboi?
>>
>>33415881
The can isn't user serviceable. I'm gonna buy an ultrasonic cleaner soon. I can throw the suppresor and the bcgs for my ars in there too and save myself some time.
>>
>>33415898
Good investment if you do a lot of shooting. I used to work for a suppressor manufacturer (not YHM) and some of ours were user serviceable, but I didn't know about YHM. Whenever we would test finished cans, we never used any liquids, gels, or paddings and the decibel levels were always safe without hearing protection, even when firing an entire magazine. One reason I've heard for most suppressors not being able to taken apart by customers is the crazy stuff we would see on warranty repairs. People using ridiculously hot loads, using the wrong caliber entirely, using the wrong brake or adapter, and other assorted fun. Out of dozens of warranty covered repairs in a year, I believe only two were our fault during design and fabrication. Plus welds ensure the integrity of the suppressor, while threads can mean ends and caps coming loose if customers don't pay enough attention when cleaning.
>>
>>33415881
I'm not worried about cleaning it because I don't plan on shooting it wet. I have a couple of 300 blackout guns for the sub sonic fun. Highly recommended for the fun of letting friends shoot it.
>>
>>33415970
How common where baffle strikes?
>>
>>33415883
Yessum.
Press your dick tip up to the big hole in the middle. I promise you'll never forget how it felt and no other blowy will ever be the same afterward.
>>
>>33415986
Shooting wet doesn't make you need to clean it more often, unless you're dumb and use yellow wire pulling gel or something like that.
>>
>>33416005
Nonexistent during testing. The aperture (bore) diameter always had very tight tolerances, and the mounts were made well enough that we never had to worry about misalignments. Sometimes customers were rough on their guns, meaning a bent barrel or rarely a bent supressor due to thread damage. Those were the only baffle strikes I saw besides the guy who tried to fire .308 through a 6.5mm suppressor because he didn't want to buy another properly sized one.
>>
>>33416097
Tell us some can related secrets mein friendo.
I'll show you some of my baffles if you require a trade.
>>
>>33416118
I don't know if there's much to tell honestly. Anything I say engineering wise would be easily traced back to me since every manufacturer uses their own proprietary designs, specifications, and tolerances. What did you want to know?
>>
File: Mark-15-+-Hybrid-+-Silencer-(2).jpg (249KB, 2000x1179px) Image search: [Google]
Mark-15-+-Hybrid-+-Silencer-(2).jpg
249KB, 2000x1179px
>>33415322
OP you still around? Its a little quit, but not much. Take clean water and put it in the rear of the can. about 5ml. Really not worth it tho.

Oh congrats on the can. I got mine and love it. Not too much while on a rifle, but pistols it keeps coming off and for ever will.
>>
>>33416381
yeah I decided im not gonna shoot the can wet. Took it out in the back yard and test fired it, exceeded my expectations by 200%. It's taking all my will right now to not go buy a .45 supressor and a .22 supressor
>>
>>33416392
Get a 9mm, they work on .22. I'm this guy >>33416381.

My next buy after God willing HPA passes will be whats pictured. A friend bought this with his trust before the change. Do it once to get over it, but yeah its not that awesome
>>
>>33416392
get a rugged obsidian

quietest pistol suppressor available, modular (can run it at 8.5" or 6"), and works from .22 all the way to 45, including .300blk subs

got one for $650 recently
>>
>>33415322
You don't want to add water to rifle cans due to the high pressures that occur within. Reducing internal volume available for expansion of gasses = increasing pressure, possibly dangerously.

This isn't an issue for pistol and rim fire cans unless you really overdo it. I once fully immersed my glock/osprey9, and just shook the water out prior to firing - its leaked gas out of the seams ever since. (Not a huge leak, and I haven't noticed a change in performance, but it certainly isn't good.)
>>
>>33416381
Is that the Hybrid? I just mailed out my paperwork two days ago for one. Bought three pistons for it yesterday because they had a flash sale for 59 a piece.
How are you liking it? Also, can you post more pictures of it on different pistols please?
>>
>>33415674
I have shot my Silencer Co Specwar 7.62 a few times wet. I always used a spray bottle to spritz 2-3 times from the muzzle into the suppressor. This is the best method, no using gels or even pouring water into the suppressor. The whole purpose of making the suppressor wet is to absorb heat and taking energy away from the hot gasses, and having small droplets coating the inside means a greater surface area for the hot gases to transfer heat. I would say if your suppressor is rated for full auto and is made all from the same material, you should be alright to make your suppressor wet. The practicality of doing so is at the discretion of the user, but it is fun to see how low you can go with the suppressor wet and with sub sonic ammo.
>>
>>33416140
Not the anon you were replying to. But how did you get into your position? Do you know of any work experience that employers might look for specifically in new hires? I am a graduate in Mechanical Engineering and would like to try and find a position where I can work with firearms. I am just trying to figure out a general path of what to expect. Thanks in advance.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.