[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /k/ how well does Riot Gear work against being set on fire.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: zombie-apocalypse-armor-suit.jpg (32KB, 640x488px) Image search: [Google]
zombie-apocalypse-armor-suit.jpg
32KB, 640x488px
So /k/ how well does Riot Gear work against being set on fire. I personally think that it should protect fairly well against an open flame, but say you get some flammable liquid on your gear, will if light?
>>
Of course gasoline will light on clothes, but what you don't want is your equipment melting onto your skin.

...I guess it's who you buy it from and what it's made of.
>>
I see molten plastic on you can be a problem, but i would think that due to moltovs and other flammable things beings a common items by rioters, then the gear makers would take that into consideration. Yet i cant find documentation for it anywhere.
>>
>>33415147
>will flammable liquid light
Gee, anon, I don't know
>>
The way I've seen it work is all the padding goes under a flame retardant boiler suit. The only thing outside that is a helmet and shield. You will most likely have flame proof balaclava and gloves.
You then have a line of officers and behind them you will have another officer who has a hand held fire extinguisher for dousing his colleagues.
>>
>>33415302
/k/ a magical place
>>
>>33415147

Decent stuff is usually made of Nomex.

Flash and short term protection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomex
http://www.dupont.com/products-and-services/personal-protective-equipment/thermal-protective/brands/nomex-fabric.html
>>
Fire only burns what it can heat up.
The question to ask is how well does fire heat the material of riot gear. Standard heat of the fabric and the energy of the fire depending how hot it is will show how fast a portion of it would heat up, of course at a certain heat it may melt/combust, so now the fire isn't burning from the liquid but rather the material, skin doesn't handle heat well so once the fabric reaches that point it would clearly start damaging your body.

So you need to find out how fast the cloth heats up when exposed to the average heat of a gasoline flame.
>>
>>33415962
why not get an astronaut style water cooling garment, put some decent riot gear on, put a fire proximity suit over it (the simple ones should work, pic related is for being right next to aircraft fires), and then laugh at people as they try to set you on fire?
>>
>>33416111
Because you'd over heat since you can't get your own body heat OUT.
>>
>>33416188
that's what the water cooling garment is for, just put a small heat exchanger in a back pack. if you're going to have Molotovs thrown at you, you're obviously not going to hang around for long. a simple bottle of chilled water would work for 30 minutes to an hour.
>>
>>33416218
Overly complicated for its purpose.

If you aren't in extended combat with people hucking fire at you, then you really wouldn't need it. As in short term conflicts among the populace you'd probably have fire extinguishers and fire fighters on standby, as well as ambulances. Not to mention riot shields to block projectiles.

And as with a long term conflict, you wouldn't have the water. You could go at it like old world armies and change out your front line and give them rest, but with only an hour of time that wouldn't be ideal at all.

Really the best defense for fire in a riot based conflict is just a riot shield front line, observant eyes, and a couple fire extinguisher. Now if you have multiple assailants, then you'd probably have tear gas and bean bag rounds, if not line rounds for a large scale multi day riot.
>>
>>33415400
Eh maybe some places. Most of the time you just check those plastic plate things on over some black ACU cut clothes and go stand around for 10 hours while some fucking loser who weighs like 135 yells shit from behind his shemagh, knowing that no matter how much you want to reach out and grab him around the throat and choke him like Darth Vader, you cannot.

Pretty much if somebody sets you on fire you better hope the chick you gave the fire extinguisher to uses it instead of running behind the bearcat or someshit.
>>
>>33415147
out of curiosity, how difficult is it to run in riot gear? i expect that it impacts your ability to move around a lot?
>>
>>33415147
I have a german made set of riot equipment, made from perforated aluminium. It has a suit made from nomex and is chemical resistant and fire retardant, I assume those are standard features on modern riot equipment. Not sure if the plastic parts on other armours would light on fire, but I bet most cops are wearing nomex suits underneath.

>>33416704
Not too hard, actually. Feels like sports equipment, though i could see it tiring you out quickly. Also a bit uncomfortable in the upper body but generally the leg portions are just slightly heavy, like running with waterlogged boots.
>>
>>33415147
that's why you wear your cumsock
you ever seen jizz lit on fire before? me neither.
>>
>>33415147
Don't throw molotovs at cops, asshole.
>>
File: 18.jpg (564KB, 2048x1369px) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
564KB, 2048x1369px
>>33415147
The gear itself won't light, but the burning liquid will get inside your gear and then you're fucked.
>>
>>33416766
Great, now i need to blow a load and see if it catches fire when i add flame to it
>>
File: 1440266085266.jpg (694KB, 3405x2266px) Image search: [Google]
1440266085266.jpg
694KB, 3405x2266px
>>33417085
inside your helmet, especially.
>>
I presume the gear is mostly Nomex, since it would be completely retarded to make it out of anything else. In which case, a riot cop would be as difficult to set on fire as a firefighter.
>>
>>33419769
Er, more specifically, Nomex and Kevlar. Both materials noted for their fire resistance.
>>
>>33416704

Biggest problem for me when I wore some was overheating. The armor holds heat in like crazy.
You can run okay provided everything's fit properly.
>>
>>33419879
how much slower are you when running? like 50% because of the heat and weight?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.