[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

$25 5 pack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170324_163846.jpg (384KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170324_163846.jpg
384KB, 1600x1200px
So I got these from that one website for $25 plus free shipping. How did I do?

How do I sharpen then? The edge is garbage on them, also which of the squared off ones do you think is higher quality because I will be giving the lower quality one to my friend probably
>>
>>33414273
Sharpen them with a regular metal file, then a sharpening stone.

Remember, machetes don't need to be razor sharp, the edge will wear down faster the sharper you get it. Machetes need to be able to hold an edge under normal usage.
>>
>>33414273
So you paid $25 for some semi useful scrap metal probably worth $5-10 in materials.

Not bad I guess but don't be surprised when one shatters because shitty tempering or warps because the steel is too soft (i.e. low carbon).
>>
>>33414273
I bought the same deal, you sadly didn't get the meme unga bunga curved sword but that one on the top is hella neat.
>>
File: 1461272349405.jpg (24KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
1461272349405.jpg
24KB, 800x587px
>>33414337
I bought some. They're not pretty but the quality of steel definitely isn't that bad.
>>
>>33414273

I like the giant spatula at the bottom. BBQ season is right around the corner.
>>
>>33414273
Literally just bought the same thing yesterday. Looks like you got a good bundle. I like the idea of a surprise bundle type thing. Exciting!
>>
>>33414337
South American steel isn't bad. You'd be surprised, anon. They rely on shit like this for life. Just look how many Brazilian machete fights are on liveleak and bestgore. In South America the machete is something pretty much everyone has in their house like pen and paper.
>>
>>33414273
I'm jelly of that wood handled Latin machete. I hope mine comes with a wood handle and not a plastic one. Nothing like a good old South American machete.
>>
>>33414337
steel being too soft isnt an issue on machetes. the blades supposed to flex and bend during use. and its easier to resharpen the edge in the jungle with a rock or something.
>>
>>33414360
>>33414434
Hmm, well if they are actually made of decently treated/hardened steel, then hell I'll admit that it's a decent deal.

Being a novice sword collector I am just now learning about steel quality and finally understand why Ching Chong pocket knives are so cheap.

Just recently bought a reproduction of a Cossack Shashka.
>>
>>33414545
Doesn't mean it can't still be too soft, flex is good, but you don't want to chop into a chunk of wood and have your blade bend 90 degrees. Still needs to be hardened to a certain degree.
>>
>>33414595
its a machete
why the fuck would you be chopping wood with it? is the next thing you are going to tell me is it should be excellent for batoning?
doesnt matter what steel youve got when you spend a few hours cutting vines everythings going to be dull by the end of the day. at that point an edge you spend 5 minutes touching up to get back to useable is is more preferable than some supersteel that takes hours to resharpen
>>
>>33414576
Places like South America and Africa actually have great machetes because of how heavily they rely upon them for daily life
>>
>>33414652
>never used a machete to cut any wood
>"super steel" takes hours to sharpen

Ha! Hahahahaha, you done talking out your ass? It only takes about 35 min to sharpen a sword/axe/saber. Especially if you know how a whetstone actually works.

Also a machete is designed to be a cross between a sword and an axe, hence the profile and weight. It's supposed to be the catch all blade.
>>
File: IMG_20170324_172902.jpg (291KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170324_172902.jpg
291KB, 1600x1200px
This one says high carbon, not sure what it means tho. Should I keep oil on them?
>>
File: IMG_20170324_172918.jpg (390KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170324_172918.jpg
390KB, 1200x1600px
Can I use this old diamond sharpener after I file an edge on them or whatever?
>>
>>33414273
why do you keep posting the same pic with "how did I do?" we all know how you did. you bought some cheap as fuck machetes, which are already cheap as it is.
>>
>>33414788
This is the first time I've posted it, they just got delivered, retard.
>>
>>33414765
if you have a lemon or an orange or something acidic, you can cut into the fruit and leave the knife in for 10 minutes. a black patina should form on the blade. its a form of rust that protects the blade from red rust (bad rust).

This should also tell you if the blades are actually carbon steel as well.
>>
Where did you get them from?
>>
>>33414779
Yea, but it might be a little to abrasive for the final edge. Use light pressure
>>
>>33414765
>It only takes about 35 min to sharpen a sword/axe/saber.
yeah in a nice spot with the proper tools and set up in a house or something.
if your actually using a machete thats not where you are.
the machetes op has are for light vegetation and brush a couple of them a cane machetes your not cutting down any tree thats more than a few inches wide or splitting logs with it.
>>33414765
they already have a coating on the machetes thats utilitarian good enough. the only part thats going to rust is the edge where you sharpened it. if its actually being used the edge rusting isnt going to matter. if its sitting there for months you might want to oil it.
>>
>>33414765
I looked it up for you. SAE 1070 is, indeed, a high carbon steel (0,7%). It seems to be used most often as spring steel, but also as cutlery.
>>
>>33414370
>snorted
>>
>>33414731
Oh my god, this is the most autistic post I've read all day. Please go back to your tard wrangler, anon.
>>
>>33414302
>I don't know how things work the post
Thanks for trying anon.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.