[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he, dare I say it, /ourguy/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 36

File: IMG_7596.jpg (100KB, 800x1015px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7596.jpg
100KB, 800x1015px
Is he, dare I say it, /ourguy/?
>>
>>33403125
no, and I wouldn't give a damn if he was
>>
>>33403125
Buthurt southerners incoming.
>>
No. General Henry Thomas is your guy.
>>
General William "The South won't learn until it burns" Sherman
>>
>>33403139

Which again is why Henry Thomas is your guy. He's a Union Southerner.
>>
>>33403125
General William "Let's burn down half the country for shits and giggles" Tecumseh Sherman?
>>
>>33403155
>>33403178

He'll never be better than The Rock Of Chickamauga.
>>
File: RobertELee2.jpg (63KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
RobertELee2.jpg
63KB, 736x736px
Why is /k/ full of so many freedom-hating yankee faggots?
>>
File: 1436096831726.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1436096831726.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
I'm Tennessean and I look a lot like him
>>
>>33403125
No that would be Jesse James
>>
>>33403213

Says the faction that fought for the right to keep people enslaved, lol.

Henry Thomas is the true Southern role model.
>>
File: IMG_7585.jpg (36KB, 385x382px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7585.jpg
36KB, 385x382px
>>33403128
>>33403178
>>33403194
>>33403213
>152 years later
>still mad

Not even blacks are this upset about slavery.
>>
>>33403261

Do you even know who General Thomas is?
>>
>>33403253
>>33403261
>being this deluded
>>
>>33403253
>Says the faction that fought for the right to keep people enslaved, lol.
Niggers =/= people
>>
File: browningjm01.gif (36KB, 205x323px) Image search: [Google]
browningjm01.gif
36KB, 205x323px
>>33403125
Nah
>>
>>33403290
>m- muh states rights
>>
>>33403261
no, I just don't give a damn about some dead guy
I don't give a shit if hickok45 likes /k/ or not either
>>
>>33403125
>fought war in new and interesting ways
>gave a shit about his job
>had a nervous breakdown
>was really good at something he disliked
>understood the rational and impersonal application of hardship
I dunno if his traits really match up with /k/ but he's someone to be admired.
>>
>>33403335

Yeah, but Thomas gave up contact with his entire family to serve the Union. They never spoke to him again.
>>
>>33403284
Some faggot from Maine whom Lincoln hastily promoted to fill his failing generals quota. The Union had like three actually good generals and the rest were shit and continued to be shit since Lincoln was a butthurt cuck who kept cycling his generals, preventing them from learning from mistakes, gaining field experience, and all around improving themselves.
>>
>>33403373

You dare accuse Thomas of incompetence? Fucker was one of the best Generals in the Union Army.
>>
>>33403373

>Maine

He was from Virginia.
>>
>>33403388
He was okay. In fact, I'd say no Union general was more than above average. Had the Union had the same numbers, industry, and railroads the Confederacy had, it's safe to say they would've lost.
>>
>>
>>33403403
Are we talking about Goddard or Wirtz?
>>
>>33403426

Henry Thomas from Virginia.
>>
>>33403442
So Henry Wirtz Thomas. I'm only familiar with Henry Goddard Thomas. Even a quick Wikipedia search only reveals he was a governor.
>>
File: Brady_-_General_WT_Sherman.jpg (95KB, 513x623px) Image search: [Google]
Brady_-_General_WT_Sherman.jpg
95KB, 513x623px
You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it … Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.
>>
>>33403460

No, George Henry Thomas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Henry_Thomas
>>
File: stonewall_jackson.jpg (93KB, 550x706px) Image search: [Google]
stonewall_jackson.jpg
93KB, 550x706px
>>33403125
Nope. One of the greatest American military commanders is.
>>
>>33403465
>North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make
He knew.
>>
>>33403526

Well he did teach in the south for a number of years
>>
>>33403526

Not to mention for all the South's excellent military leadership, it was still a bit conservative on actual military doctrine.

Southern officers were more likely to get themselves killed leading from the front. Confederate Cavalry was wedding more to gallant charges, while Union Cavalry caught on it was far better to be dismounted infantry with repeating rifles.

The Confederacy's emphasis on winning big battles cost it on terms of attrition. In terms of overall force percentages, the Confederacy would often lose more men than the Union.

The Union grasped the importance of crushing the Confederacy's ability to arm and feed itself, and waged total war eventually.

To be blunt, the Confederacy had a rather naive view of war.
>>
Is he, dare I say it, our war criminal?

But for real he was an autistic failure until he had the opportunity to burn a bunch of shit for the great tyrant
>>
>>33403583

The South had the vile massacre at Fort Pillow.
>>
>>33403253
America would be leagues better off had all the niggers been kicked out
>>
>>33403517
my man
>>
He wasn't that good of a leader. I'm not even mad. He was surrounded by better generals on his own side. And the South had leadership that was to the nth degree, better.
I also like the whole "muh fight against slavery and raysism"

>spent most of his military career killing Injuns. Unarmed Injuns half the time.
>treated Americans (slaves to boot) like he treated Natives.

Yup. He was totally the good guy, killing pretty much anybody he felt like.
>>
>>33403317
Well. Lincoln did wait nearly half the war before "freeing" the slaves, and he let Maryland keep them even after that.

Just sayin'.
>>
>>33403644

Strategically, the South's reasoning didn't hold up. They fought huge set-piece battles when they had a manpower shortage.

Their belief that foreign markets couldn't survive without their cotton didn't hold up, as nations found other sources.

They didn't buy time to develop the resources needed for a prolonged war.
>>
>>33403666

The North didn't fight the war to free the slaves, it fought it to preserve the Union. The south seceded because it was pissed off the North was pushing back against their arrogance and not giving into its every demand on the slavery issue.
>>
>>33403687
Not going to argue that at all. You're right.

But that doesn't make Grant a better general. He sort of leaned on his subordinates and capitalized on their victories in order to start burning things down.
>>
>>33403666

Duh. The Union had to keep the border states loyal.

The Amendment to abolish slavery only worked because two Southern states were under Union control by the time it was up for vote.
>>
>>33403697

"This, and this only: cease to call slavery wrong, and join them in calling it right. And this must be done thoroughly — done in acts as well as in words. Silence will not be tolerated — we must place ourselves avowedly with them. Senator Douglas’ new sedition law must be enacted and enforced, suppressing all declarations that slavery is wrong, whether made in politics, in presses, in pulpits, or in private. We must arrest and return their fugitive slaves with greedy pleasure. We must pull down our Free State constitutions. The whole atmosphere must be disinfected from all taint of opposition to slavery, before they will cease to believe that all their troubles proceed from us."

-Abraham Lincoln
>>
>>33403125
stonewall was a better general
>>
>>33403702

I would have appointed Thomas in Grant's place, politics be damned. A Virginian before Thomas was considered to lead the Union forces, and that was Lee himself.

Plus it would be interesting to see a civil war commanded by military leaders from the same state (although Lincoln and Davis were both from Kentucky).
>>
>>33403697
That notion is also sort of stupid. Most of the states that bordered the Union were advocating compromise. Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky etc. All had large parts of their state governments and population that were simply asking for a compromise to be made. Some of which had nothing to do with slavery. I believe it was Virginia that was advocating for the ability to trade overseas more freely and to be taxed less to make up for the loss they would take in freeing their slaves.

Lincoln coukd have won them over VERY easily but chose not to. Mainly because the only way to make the South any sort of productive was to either allow Slavery (which he LITERALLY said he was going to do.) Or give the South more freedom in their economy. Which, god forbid they should have.

The South never said "we absofuckinglutely want slavery to spread" the common consensus was to allow for new states to vote on the legality of Slavery.

Which was also not exactly a hard demand to meet. We already know Lincoln gave very few fucks about slavery and he hinself also said he didn't want equality for blacks. He wanted to deport them or put them on reservations. Which, if we look at how Natives lives went, that is pretty much on par with slavery. Except the federal government gets to santion it and nobody makes any money. Except them. If anything valuable was ever found on a reservation, poof. They moved everyone and took it. Hence why Oklahoma was given to the Natives.

He would have given the same treatment to blacks. I'm not saying that slavery was better. I'm just saying the two approaches are morally equal.
>>
>>33403706
The Union told most of them to go fuck themselves though. So tell me why that was? Also see...

>>33403814
>>
I think what people fail to realize is Sherman understood what sun tzu, von Clausewitz, mao ze dong, George Washington etc understood. When you fight ideology it's like fighting the Zerg or the xenos. Total warfare. Genocide the enemy so their children will not be able to rise to fight you. As Mattie once was quoted about talking what happens here for the next 10,000 years
>>
>>33403814

To say it was solely about slavery is simplistic, but it was absolutely primarily about slavery. That was the point of friction for decades leading up to it and what started the fire. I don't think anything can be clearer if you read enough on the subject.
>>
>>33403748
"I am quite aware they do not state their case precisely in this way. Most of them would probably say to us, "Let us alone, do nothing to us, and say what you please about slavery." But we do let them alone - have never disturbed them - so that, after all, it is what we say, which dissatisfies them. They will continue to accuse us of doing, until we cease saying."
>>
>>33403844

If the South had genuine faith in compromise, they would not have seceded.

They couldn't even ignore Fort Sumter. All the "re-arming" on Earth wouldn't change the fact it was still a little nothing Union fort, commanded by a Kentuckian.
>>
>>33403125
isnt hugh jackman antigun?
>>
>>33403213
i have a hard time loving the concepts of freedom and slavery at the same time, without feeling like a dipshit
>>
File: lemay_600.jpg (86KB, 600x739px) Image search: [Google]
lemay_600.jpg
86KB, 600x739px
>>33403125

No, this is /ourguy/
>>
>>33403296

Try harder, no one's biting
>>
>>33403213
>Why is /k/ full of so many freedom-hating yankee faggots?

Forcing poor uneducated white men to fight for your money sure is profreedom
>>
>>33403178
>>33403213
>>33403128
>>33403583

I bet you fags gripe in threads about rules of engagement in modern war, and spout off about how we should carpet bomb everything.
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 300x168px
Actual southerners were pussies, they had no will of their own to fight. Slave owners and land owners brainwashed the peasants to grab a rifle and charge for the dixie states which eventually fought among themselves.

Sherman knew this was coming, and he didn't give a shit how much he burned, looted, and stole. When a coward looks you in the eye, you beat them till they cry out for mercy. After his grandiose hellraising, south's own president ran away wearing a dress.

He is the greatest general because he did what was neccessary to win the war. He did this at cost; using freed slaves and supplies he took from the enemy.
>>
>>33403876
Slavery however, was not why Lincoln started the war. It was what got people fired up and made them go along with it though.

Slavery then was our Black Lives Matter and "Terrorism" today. An extreme comparison, but one is to be made for sake of simplicity. The Federal government wanted to exercise control. People had emotional attachments to slavery, for or against. Just like people het fired up over "MUH POLESES BROOTALITY" or "MUH MUDSLIME TURRISTS" (or on the other side "MUH RELIGION OF PEACE".

The government played it to get what it wanted. Which was a unified nation, in their image. Not in the altruistic image most people get when they think of unity.
>>
>>33403353
who is Thomas?
>>
File: image283.jpg (35KB, 550x354px) Image search: [Google]
image283.jpg
35KB, 550x354px
>>
>>33404053

Him.

>>33403470
>>
>>33403125
>Is he, dare I say it, /ourguy/?
If you like slaughtering a few hundred thousand fellow whites so that your great-great-great granddaughters can get Blacked, then sure.
>>
>>33403814
>Constitution says only the federal government can handle foreign relations
>Including international trade
>Wahhhhhh why do we have to follow the Constitution we helped ratify
>>
Nothing but a War Criminal who should have been hung for his actions during the War of Northern Aggression, but I'm glad he existed because if the War of Southern Revenge happens, he's our primary role model.

Karma's a bitch Yankees.
>>
>>33403178
Only the shitty half though.
>>
>>33404297

Daily reminder that the South was largely loyal to the British yet we are the only reason why the Yankees got their independence from the Crown.

Of course, that's what we get for trusting Yankees, because when we wanted our own independence decades later, they said no.

>JWB did nothing wrong
>>
>>33404297
Yeah... the South was asking the federal governmen, who controls international trade, to allow them to trade internationally with less taxation on internationally shipped goods. Which the Feds could have allowed at tge drop of a hat. And they did for other states several times pre-war.
>>
>>33404297
4 Southern States opposed the constitution, in favor of the original Articles of the Confederation
>hurdurr i cannot into history
>>
File: image_19.jpg (69KB, 452x710px) Image search: [Google]
image_19.jpg
69KB, 452x710px
>>33404053
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Henry_Thomas?wprov=sfla1

>"None of Thomas's blood relatives attended his funeral as they had never forgiven him for his loyalty to the Union."

Feels bad man...
>>
File: Appomattox.jpg (124KB, 900x724px) Image search: [Google]
Appomattox.jpg
124KB, 900x724px
>>33403424
>>
>>33403309
/thread
or maybe armalite/garand
>>
>>33403296
>>>/pol/
>>
File: sljjth8.jpg (75KB, 399x408px) Image search: [Google]
sljjth8.jpg
75KB, 399x408px
>>33403125
I dunno. Let's clone him, introduce him to thermonuclear weapons, and find out.
>>
>>33403517
*gets killed by friendly fire*
>>
>>33403125
Its the perfect Southerner mindfuck
He's literally their ideal for dealing with dirty mudslimes, yet they hate him because he bullied their great great great great great grandparents for being fucking losers.
>>
>>33404434
The south had to be nerfed
>>
File: 1480074264429.png (105KB, 954x1157px) Image search: [Google]
1480074264429.png
105KB, 954x1157px
>>33404417
fuck off faggot leftishit
>>
>>33404417
Really more of a philosophical question than a political one, isn't it? Do we define "man" as anything that's technically a Homo sapiens? Or do we have a higher standard for "man"? As a Jap, I prefer the latter.
>>
>>33404301
Leave and never come back
>>>/pol/
>>
>>33403178
You mean burn down an enemy country :)
>>
>>33404430
>resurrect William T. Sherman
>project code named "Shermanator"
>takes command of all the military
>Moscow, Beijing, New Orleans, Pyongyang, and Atlanta are reduced to rubble and ash
>>
>>33404576
this
>>
>>33404011
yes. is that supposed to be an insult?
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 480x234px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 480x234px
>>33404452
Not that they see that
>>
>>33404106

Jefferson Davis running away in a dress is a yankee lie. It was a propaganda created by lincoln, who was a short man, to criticize the south without looking like a negro lover he is. If it weren't for sherman, we would of won the civil war and punished the north for its moral aggression. We owned slaves and we are proud of it. You mad?
>>
>>33403125
In your heart, you know it's Calley.
>>
>>33403213
>Wanting people to be free makes you a freedom hater

Stay mad, Johnny Reb
>>
>>33404361

Yes. I really emphasize with him, staying loyal to the uniform and suffering great personal pain as a consequence.
>>
>>33403418
If those conditions were met, the south wouldn't have been spooked enough to start the war in the first place.
>>
>>33405183

Seriously, a man who was willing to be disowned by his entire family is a man you can trust to be loyal.
>>
>>33403178
Oh please, it's the south. No one cares about the South, except the South, which we establish no one cares about the South.
>>
File: 189467546189.jpg (21KB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
189467546189.jpg
21KB, 380x285px
>>33403125
Well, I really can't think of any other historical figure that can trigger so many people on /k/.
>>
>>33403574
>The Confederacy's emphasis on winning big battles cost it on terms of attrition. In terms of overall force percentages, the Confederacy would often lose more men than the Union.
>The Union grasped the importance of crushing the Confederacy's ability to arm and feed itself, and waged total war eventually.
This. While southern generals were often very proficient tactically, the north always had them by the balls strategically.
>>
>>33403623
Which was kinda what Lincoln wanted to do. He had plans to send them all to Liberia and Panama, but 1) the EP made the plan hard to advance, and 2) after the war was over, before he could get anything done in that direction, a certain southern autist just had to shoot him and let his retarded VP take over so he could royally fuck over the reconstruction process.
>>
>>33405311

The South simply had no real answer to the Anaconda Plan. Its simplicity was matched only by its effectiveness. You want to cancel out superior leadership? You strangle your opponent's economy.
>>
>>33404541
asians are subhuman tho
>>
>>33405420

nah, they're more like non-human aliens. Mostly equivalent but clearly different. Subhumans are like Abos and niggers. Clearly human, just inferior.
>>
>>33405466
you ever work with the chinese? subhuman.
>>
File: Sherman_School.jpg (352KB, 1100x400px) Image search: [Google]
Sherman_School.jpg
352KB, 1100x400px
>>33403125

Our guy?

A cowardly war criminal who's greatest military accomplishment was terrorizing civilians?

Lets look at the record...

Gets his ass kicked at Bull Run.
Gets his ass kicked at Shiloh.
Gets his ass kicked at Vicksburg.
Gets his ass kicked at Chatanooga.
Get his ass kicked at Kennesaw Mountain.

Then once the South runs out of men and material to fight against him he burns Atlanta to the ground and unleashes his men to rape and pillage their way across Georgia and the North deludes themselves into declaring him a hero even though he lost every single battle he ever fought.

The south lost the civil war because of General Winfield Scott's Anaconda plan which strangled the confederacy out of resources.

The south had already lost at that point and yet Sherman thought that slaughtering civilians, and unleashing his men to rape and pillage would encourage Southerners to want to surrender. If anything the hatred his butchery prompted helped to fuel the southern desire to continue the war.

If you prove to your enemy that you're a monster then they'll be all the more determined to fight you to their last breath. The concept of "total war" is intrinsically flawed a pathetic excuse created by a hate filled and evil man.

I mean for fucks sake even if you want to idolize a war criminal you could at least choose to idolize one who was competent enough to actuall win a battle.
>>
For all of you who attack the march to the sea, note that the Civil War was the first war of its kind for the US, both in scale and style. The only thing the generals of the time knew was that the old methods of fighting a war would no longer work. They were trying new tactics, both at the battlefield level and the campaign level.

One of the tactics that was used was to target the economic capacity of the opponent was also targeted. The general chosen to fulfill this role was Sherman. Whether this was necessary or did anything to the length of the war, can be debated now with the aid of hindsight, but at the time nobody had all the facts we have now.

The group you should be annoyed with is the Progressives of the Reconstruction Era. They are the ones who didn't follow the plan to rebuild the lost factories, bridges and railroads. They decided to punish the South for rebelling and we are still feeling the hurt today because of them.
>>
>>33405481
>warcriminal

>total war is wrong

Confirmed for absolutely no experience with the military.
>>
>>33405479

Sub-Asian. Just like blacks are our subhumans and whites are the master-race, and then there's Slavs as quasi-whites that still hold on to subhuman tendencies. Asians have their master-race, the Japanese. Then there are chinks who are the Asian counterpart to slavs, capable of greatness but often held back by their corruption and inability to function without direction from overwhelming authority, and gooks (niggers). And then there's Koreans which really just don't make sense.
>>
>/k/ rips on the South when they're the only region keeping the pro-gun party relevant

lel
>>
File: lol95.jpg (71KB, 465x584px) Image search: [Google]
lol95.jpg
71KB, 465x584px
>>33405481

>assmad confed baby who actually expects people to take his retarded faggot shit seriously, detected
>>
Part of me appreciates that his tactics worked.
The other part wants me to tell you to eat a dick, yankee.
>>
>>33403517
Agreed. Also i personally believe he suffered from autism which we know 98% of /k/ does as well
>>
>>33403139
Say what you will. My Grandfather served in the North. Or great grandfather what have you.

General Lee was an outstanding man. He didn't want the civil war. He was against it. But when push came to shove he stuck to his roots and served his State.

When youngsters go to college and learn about cultural relativism you'll learn you can't judge people from the past based on values set forth today.

He did what he thought was appropriate. He was under manned and under funded, and still have them a run for their money.
>>
>>33403213
You idiot, the Stars and Bars you and your cousins worship these days were out to dominate YOU in addition to the slaves, and in many cases at least masters loved their slaves like pets, while not caring at all for your poor white behind. Remember that the slaveholders dominated everyone and were fighting to keep it that way.
>>
>>33403296
Sup CTR, leave this place and never come back
>>
>>33403583
You should be hanged for calling Lincoln anything but a hero
>>
>>33409715

Of course. Slaveholders were the dominant class in the Southern society. The South basically replicated the pretension and social stratification of European high-society.

For the "underdog", the South was paradoxically fighting to keep things the way they were. The secession was a move of reaction.

But unfortunately for their South, their attachment to European behavior also extended to warfare. The North gradually changed the game on them, on multiple levels (total war, trench warfare, dismounted cavalry, repeating rifles, etc.)
>>
>>33409752

Jefferson Davis certainly wasn't a good leader. He thought he was qualified to micro-manage the entire war, because of his military service. He was so petty he frequently screwed over many promising subordinates.

The Southern military leadership had a definite bias towards West Pointers, as opposed to home-grown talent who rose through the ranks and V.M.I graduates.

But let's face it, the South couldn't coast on West Point people forever. This is why they had a harder time replacing talented leaders. They sucked at being talent scouts. Quite a few Union Generals came out of nowhere.
>>
>>33403125
He subscribed to the "I'll make war so terrible they'll never rebel again" philosophy.

He just underestimated how stupid southerners can be.
>>
>>33403213
Truly America noblest general. The best would be Gen. Longstreet.

If Longstreet had been in command. Grant might have failed.
>>
>>33404870
>t. some clown working for CTR in a cushy city
You guys are PUSSIES

>If it [wasn't] for Sherman
So you're saying because we waged proper war against you fools, we ensured that the Southern Oligarchy could not rise back up? THAT WAS THE POINT
>>
>>33405481
>TFW confederates call libruls pussies now for being afraid to take full measures against towelheads
>TFW they take the same stance commonly taken by liberals when it comes to Sherman's actions
>>
>>33404870
Lincoln, short?

Inbreeding has truly ruined southern whites.
>>
>>33409800
Nathan Bedford Forrest would have made a much better general than many of the men that the Confederates had
>>
File: IMG_0923.jpg (62KB, 576x399px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0923.jpg
62KB, 576x399px
>>33409857
Forgot pic
>>
>>33409822

Oh we don't rebel anymore. We just drag our feet on everything, lol. If the South was a werewolf, we'd howl at the sun.
>>
File: IMG_0925.jpg (28KB, 240x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0925.jpg
28KB, 240x300px
>>33409868
Close up. Guess who isn't short.
>>
>>33406449
>south
>"pro-gun party"

the south does more to hurt the image of gun owners than to help

everyone thinks we're racist sisterfucking hicks who live in trailers specifically because of the south
>>
>>33409868
>>33409876
This is quickly turning into a "Laugh at the South" thread. After laughing, we need to reconcile, because now Southerners are the defenders of freedom while city dwellers in the North are going full bureaucratic-oligarchic on everyone
>>
>>33409866

Class played a role. Forest was "new money", was not as well-educated as many of his peers, and began as a PRIVATE. He had neither military education or training.

He stood out like a sore thumb.
>>
>>33409887

Mercifully the South cannot be blamed for Trump or his victory. Northern Rust Belt states gave that New York menace his win.

This time, it's not our fault.
>>
>>33409897
The fucker was revolutionary for both sides, however.
>>
File: 14758251760285.jpg (152KB, 1280x1381px) Image search: [Google]
14758251760285.jpg
152KB, 1280x1381px
>>33403213
>I confess without shame that I am tired & sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. Even success, the most brilliant is over dead and mangled bodies […] It is only those who have not heard a shot, nor heard the shrills & groans of the wounded & lacerated (friend or foe) that cry aloud for more blood & more vengeance, more desolation & so help me God as a man & soldier I will not strike a foe who stands unarmed & submissive before me but will say ‘Go sin no more.’

Our guy
>>
>>33403178
more like
>General William "Let's burn down half the country because they fucking DARED to break it apart" Tecumseh Sherman?
>>
>>33409897
even sherman was impressed with him.
told him so in correspondence after the war.
>>
File: YOU.png (286KB, 906x480px) Image search: [Google]
YOU.png
286KB, 906x480px
>>33403125
congrats yanks, you now have basketball, rap music, and a shit ton of crime. Now everybody gets to pay for it.
>>
File: Nathan Bedford Forrest.jpg (50KB, 385x561px) Image search: [Google]
Nathan Bedford Forrest.jpg
50KB, 385x561px
>>33409866
fun fact : he was a confederate general...and a great one at that.
>>
File: Robert_Edward_Lee.jpg (16KB, 220x326px) Image search: [Google]
Robert_Edward_Lee.jpg
16KB, 220x326px
>>33403128
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKMTu1GDi_w
>>
File: jf.jpg (89KB, 553x773px) Image search: [Google]
jf.jpg
89KB, 553x773px
>>33403697
fug off yank
>>
>>33403241
Is that Brad Pitt?
>>
>>33409849
There's a difference when it's against your brother/cousin
>>
>>33404577
But Sherman loved New Orleans. He even helped found LSU.
>>
>>33409752
>you should be hanged for not idolizing our Dear Leader
Yep, sounds like a "freedom"-loving Yankee to me
>>
>>33409834
This. Longstreet was based
>>
>>33409623
>When youngsters go to college...you'll learn you can't judge people from the past based on values set forth today

Have you been to a college recently.
>>
>>33404870
>lincoln, who was a short man
>>
Just a reminder, if you use "war criminal" unironically you're a faggot
>>
File: IMG_0287.png (1MB, 744x1392px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0287.png
1MB, 744x1392px
>>33413065
No he wasn't you fucking limp-wristed pansy, get your shit together.
>>
File: stonewall-jackson-portrait-AB.jpg (58KB, 334x250px) Image search: [Google]
stonewall-jackson-portrait-AB.jpg
58KB, 334x250px
/k/ is with Stonewall who kept winning battles where he was constantly outnumbered and less-equipped with his genius.
>>
>>33413239
And I say this as someone from New Hampshire. Stonewall was arguably one of the most gifted generals in US history. Sherman won battles where he greatly outnumbered confederates who were already ill-equipped from the setbacks they were dealt with.
>>
>>33403213
slavery literally ruined the south and if the south won it would be even worse
Friendly reminders that slave owners are the one who brought niggers to America.
>>
>>33405481
>rape

Except he made it very clear to keep attacks on civilians to an absolute minimum. His primary targets were railroads, crops, and areas of high commerce. The number of reports of crimes against civilians can be counted on my hand.
>>
The thing people have yet to point out is that the Civil War was the first truly modern war in the entire world. There were very few people who recognized what form this would be. One of them was Sherman. He realized that this was a total war. As such, he waged one. He was objectively correct.

Should Southerners be upset about the damage he inflicted? Sure. I would argue that they should be even more upset at their political masters who convinced them to fight for a cause they didn't even have any stake in. Even if the states had seceded, it didn't have to be war, but Southern arrogance demanded they take Fort Sumter. Their political masters unleashed hell upon the nation as a whole, both Union and CSA. They should be rightfully hated.
>>
>>33413846

Attacking Sumter was stupid. It was a worthless fort.
>>
File: Joseph_Johnston.jpg (117KB, 444x587px) Image search: [Google]
Joseph_Johnston.jpg
117KB, 444x587px
What does /k/ think of General Joseph E. Johnston? Sherman Regarded him as a Equal was relieve when that jackass Davis replaced Him with John "Attack Attack Attack" Hood
>>
>>33404301
>look at all these niggers demanding reparations for slavery!
>they were never themselves slaves!
>I want to kill yankees for shit that they didn't do
>this is a coherent position
>>
>>33404313
>JWB did nothing wrong
>Killed Lincoln, who was keeping the radical republicans in check and wanted to make reconstruction about rebuilding and not retribution for the war
>Took the South until after the turn of the century to recover

Did you fail your history class, or what.
>>
>>33404301
> "War of Southern Revenge"
lol
>>
Wow, I've never seen so many southerners come out against total war. Every other thread is how we should "nuke the ragheads to kingdom come" but when it comes to muh heritage you all get up in arms about honor in war.
>>
File: New York Gay Pride Parade 2011.jpg (156KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
New York Gay Pride Parade 2011.jpg
156KB, 500x363px
>>33413670

>Except he made it very clear to keep attacks on civilians to an absolute minimum. His primary targets were railroads, crops, and areas of high commerce.

So you don't consider starving people to death by destroying all their food to be an attack on civilians.

Fascinating.

>The number of reports of crimes against civilians can be counted on my hand.

Go to Georgia and say that shit. See if you leave with any teeth.

You Yankees are fucking delusional. The fucker is on the record as having burned a defenseless city to the ground, damn near every family in the path of his fucking march to the sea has stories about his troops raping and pillaging and you're still telling yourself he's a hero even though he never even won a single fucking battle?

For fucks sake man I just showed you a quote where he's endorsing fucking genocide and even goes to the extent to clarify that he means women and children too.

This is your fucking hero?
>>
>>33417353

>Lincoln never attempts a peace treaty with the south.
>Suspends habeus corpus
>Gets 600,000 people killed in order to maintain his own authority
>Totally not a tyrant guys

Ever tried interpreting historical facts for yourself?
>>
>>33403125
faggot
>>
>>33417466
P-Much This Though.
>>
>>33403125
YOU BET YOUR FUCKIN ASS HE IS
>>
>>33417544
It should always be remembered that America did not "go to war" in 1860. America was attacked in 1860 by a formidable rebel faction seeking to protect the expansion of slavery. That faction did not simply want slavery to continue in America; they dreamed of a tropical empire of slavery encompassing Cuba, Nicaragua, and perhaps the whole of South America. This faction was not only explicitly pro-slavery but explicitly anti-democratic. The newly declared Confederacy attacked America not because it was being persecuted, but because it was unable to win a democratic election.
>>
>>33417980

Attacked?

Attacked how fucktard? By saying I don't want to obey your government anymore, so please leave us alone?

By that standard we attacked the British Empire when we told them to fuck off.
>>
File: ABE-LINCOLN.jpg (347KB, 1536x1786px) Image search: [Google]
ABE-LINCOLN.jpg
347KB, 1536x1786px
>>33418023
Under all these circumstances, do you really feel yourselves justified to break up this Government unless such a court decision as yours is, shall be at once submitted to as a conclusive and final rule of political action? But you will not abide the election of a Republican president! In that supposed event, you say, you will destroy the Union; and then, you say, the great crime of having destroyed it will be upon us! That is cool. A highwayman holds a pistol to my ear, and mutters through his teeth, "Stand and deliver, or I shall kill you, and then you will be a murderer!"
-Abraham Lincoln
>>
>>33404468
Why the fuck do you have a bunch of reddit screenshots fag
>>
>>33409887
>defenders of freedom

"lel"
>>
>>33411866
Confederates did not treat Northerners like their kin at all, so why should we have shown them any more clemency than they clearly showed us
>>
>>33403125
He kicked ass and took names in the Civil War, but he was massive dick to the indians.
>>
File: reaction tom and jerry.jpg (15KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
reaction tom and jerry.jpg
15KB, 225x225px
>>33404577
>and Atlanta
>>
>>33418160
that's just what triggered manchildren do
>>
>>33403128
Gat damn, son, Georgians will forever be bathed in salt, will they not.
>>
>>33403178
Y'all reaped justified hellfire. You had no idea about the can you opened, shouldn't have been surprised at the taste.
>>
>>33411866
In the south your brother and cousin are often the same person.
>>
>>33403213
Descendant of Kentucky Unionists here, y'all can fuck right off with that "Yankee" bullshit.

It was goddamn feudalist Georgians and the Carolinas got us into that mess.
>>
>>33403388
>best Generals in the Union Army

To be fair, that's something of a backhanded compliment.
>>
>>33403517
Unionist here. Objective truth.

That man was a hero.
>>
>>33403583

Riddle me this, anon, which side was it had fucking Andersonville?

You wanna get down to the brass tacks of the thing, wasn't us Union boys had people like Bloody Bill Anderson running around.
>>
>>33409871
>We just drag our feet on everything, lol. If the South was a werewolf, we'd howl at the sun.

God, I have never heard a better description of Southron behavior in my life. (I'm a member of a SBC church, do you know how hard it is to form committees with you people?!)
>>
>>33403261
>Not even blacks are this upset about slavery.
There aren't any groups demanding reparations for the civil war
>>
>>33403125
nope, it's stonewall
>>
>>33403128
FPBP. Fuck them Yankee cucks son, they move down here to retire not vice versa
>>
>>33417506
>doesn't show quote.
>only shows gay pride parade.
Wow such fact
Much rebuttal
>>
>>33417506
No because destroying food has been a tactic since the dawn of civilization and it's always been conducted under the reasoning that if soldiers can't eat, then they can't fight.

>Go to Georgia and say that shit
Okay. No amount of rebel butthurt changes the truth, faggot.

>You Yankees are delusional
Not an argument.

>I just showed you a quote
Where?

>This is your fucking hero?
Where at any point did I claim he was my hero? I just think he was a good general is all. Stop getting so fucking ass blasted over a war from the 19th century that has absolutely no bearing on your life.
>m- muh slaves
>m- muh """""states rights"""""

And stop pretending like you care about civilians. I can almost guarantee you advocate for total war when ISIS -- or Muslims in general -- is brought up.
>>
File: oatw.jpg (30KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
oatw.jpg
30KB, 480x480px
Ohio whipped that ass in the Civil War, Grant Sherman and Sheridan.
>>
So if the "left" were to fight the "right" today, how would things come out?
>>
>>33418887

There were a number of pro-Union regiments raised WITHIN The South.
>>
>>33418043
Was he right?
>>
>>33413090
>>33409623
cultural relativism would make sense if the people who teach it aren't biased to suck big black cock
>>
File: sherman.jpg (55KB, 796x582px) Image search: [Google]
sherman.jpg
55KB, 796x582px
Sherman should have finished what he started. The country would be much stronger and better today if he had.
>>
>>33403213
I'm from Massachusetts and don't get how people up North inherently hate on the Confederates when if they shut the fuck up and ignore slavery they'd realize the Confederate cause was wholly a moral high ground and stood more to what the founding fathers would have wanted.
Not to mention Lincoln is a bastard tyrant who was the first step in destroying constitutional rights.
>>
>>33410143
that's actually pretty based.
>>
>>33406437
Koreans are honorary whites tho.
>how else do you guard your roof during race riots?
>>
>>33409771
The South knew all about trenches at the start of the war. one of the first things Lee had them do when he took command was order the men to dig trenches.
>>
>>33410143
That Sherman, or Lee? The post you're replying to is Lee, but I've never heard any quote like that attributed to him.
>>
>>33411714
basket ball was invented by a white man.
>>
>>33419509
>>33419647
the Sherman quite is in his first post's pic related, here >>33405481

>>33418160
>ctr gets exposed.
>why do you have plebbit screenshots?
>lols nervously.

>>33418900
by the war's end, that wasn't necessarily true. furthermore, tactical profenciency =/= winning the war. losers always whine about doing their best, winners go home and fuck the prom queen.
>>
>>33405177
>civil war
>about making people free

Grab a history book
>>
>>33405788
Lmao tell that to every military leader after WW2.

Vietnam, Korea, and every conflict since has been total shitshows because they halfassed the wars. They could've been ended with a few bombs dropped on a few capitals.
>>33409849
>not realizing this shows the hypocrisy of liberals moreso
>>
>>33409882
>people generalize and stereotype
>you blame the people who get stereotyped instead of the morons doing the stereotyping.

A+ logic there, pal.
>>
>>33417353
>>33417544
You're both right.

Lincoln was a tyrant and post-war southern states fucked themselves over.
>>
>>33420747
Carla was the prom queen
>>
>>33420747
Carla was the prom queen
>>
HEADQUARTERS MILITARY DIVISION of the MISSISSIPPI in the FIELD
Atlanta, Georgia,
James M. Calhoun, Mayor,
E.E. Rawson and S.C. Wells, representing City Council of Atlanta.
Gentleman: I have your letter of the 11th, in the nature of a petition to revoke my orders removing all the inhabitants from Atlanta. I have read it carefully, and give full credit to your statements of distress that will be occasioned, and yet shall not revoke my orders, because they were not designed to meet the humanities of the cause, but to prepare for the future struggles in which millions of good people outside of Atlanta have a deep interest. We must have peace, not only at Atlanta, but in all America. To secure this, we must stop the war that now desolates our once happy and favored country. To stop war, we must defeat the rebel armies which are arrayed against the laws and Constitution that all must respect and obey. To defeat those armies, we must prepare the way to reach them in their recesses, provided with the arms and instruments which enable us to accomplish our purpose. Now, I know the vindictive nature of our enemy, that we may have many years of military operations from this quarter; and, therefore, deem it wise and prudent to prepare in time. The use of Atlanta for warlike purposes in inconsistent with its character as a home for families. There will be no manufacturers, commerce, or agriculture here, for the maintenance of families, and sooner or later want will compel the inhabitants to go. Why not go now, when all the arrangements are completed for the transfer, instead of waiting till the plunging shot of contending armies will renew the scenes of the past month? Of course, I do not apprehend any such things at this moment, but you do not suppose this army will be here until the war is over.
>>
I cannot discuss this subject with you fairly, because I cannot impart to you what we propose to do, but I assert that our military plans make it necessary for the inhabitants to go away, and I can only renew my offer of services to make their exodus in any direction as easy and comfortable as possible.
You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace. But you cannot have peace and a division of our country. If the United States submits to a division now, it will not stop, but will go on until we reap the fate of Mexico, which is eternal war. The United States does and must assert its authority, wherever it once had power; for, if it relaxes one bit to pressure, it is gone, and I believe that such is the national feeling. This feeling assumes various shapes, but always comes back to that of Union. Once admit the Union, once more acknowledge the authority of the national Government, and, instead of devoting your houses and streets and roads to the dread uses of war, I and this army become at once your protectors and supporters, shielding you from danger, let it come from what quarter it may. I know that a few individuals cannot resist a torrent of error and passion, such as swept the South into rebellion, but you can point out, so that we may know those who desire a government, and those who insist on war and its desolation.
>>
You might as well appeal against the thunder-storm as against these terrible hardships of war. They are inevitable, and the only way the people of Atlanta can hope once more to live in peace and quiet at home, is to stop the war, which can only be done by admitting that it began in error and is perpetuated in pride.
We don't want your Negroes, or your horses, or your lands, or any thing you have, but we do want and will have a just obedience to the laws of the United States. That we will have, and if it involved the destruction of your improvements, we cannot help it.
You have heretofore read public sentiment in your newspapers, that live by falsehood and excitement; and the quicker you seek for truth in other quarters, the better. I repeat then that, bu the original compact of government, the United States had certain rights in Georgia, which have never been relinquished and never will be; that the South began the war by seizing forts, arsenals, mints, custom-houses, etc., etc., long before Mr. Lincoln was installed, and before the South had one jot or title of provocation. I myself have seen in Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi, hundreds and thousands of women and children fleeing from your armies and desperadoes, hungry and with bleeding feet. In Memphis, Vicksburg, and Mississippi, we fed thousands and thousands of the families of rebel soldiers left on our hands, and whom we could not see starve. Now that war comes to you, you feel very different. You deprecate its horrors, but did not feel them when you sent car-loads of soldiers and ammunition, and moulded shells and shot, to carry war into Kentucky and Tennessee, to desolate the homes of hundreds and thousands of good people who only asked to live in peace at their old homes, and under the Government of their inheritance. But these comparisons are idle. I want peace, and believe it can only be reached through union and war,
>>
and I will ever conduct war with a view to perfect an early success.
But, my dear sirs, when peace does come, you may call on me for any thing. Then will I share with you the last cracker, and watch with you to shield your homes and families against danger from every quarter.
Now you must go, and take with you the old and feeble, feed and nurse them, and build for them, in more quiet places, proper habitations to shield them against the weather until the mad passions of men cool down, and allow the Union and peace once more to settle over your old homes in Atlanta. Yours in haste,
W.T. Sherman, Major-General commanding
>>
>>33422761
>>33422747
>>33422739
>>33422777
Fucking Brutal
Thread posts: 208
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.