[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Road Rage and firearms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

Hi /k/, I am a resident living in the glorious Sunshine State. Help me work out this hypothetical:

>firearm stored in center console, loaded
>road rage incident occurs
>suspect follows me and attempts to stop my vehicle by getting in front of me and driving recklessly, with clear intent to stop and initiate something

Now we are at a crossroads, with two hypothetical situations:

>I pull into a parking lot, he pursues and blocks my vehicle in
>he gets out of his car and starts to aggressively come towards my car
>I draw a firearm while stepping out and shoot him

Or

>suspect gets in front of me, blocking my car in the road without an avenue of escape
>suspect gets out of his car and begins walking towards my vehicle
>I step out and shoot him dead in the street

In what ways can I utilize a firearm as a threat-stopping tool in a road rage incident without incurring criminal charges? Is the suspect stepping out of his vehicle enough justification to shoot him or do I need to wait until he reaches my car? Does my stepping out after him and drawing my firearm count as provocation? I do not want to shoot while in a car for fear of hearing damage. I would figure that the same threat assessment that LEOs face when a suspect steps out of their vehicle and approaches would also apply to a civilian case but I am looking for ways to minimize legal culpability and not be put in jail over an easy mistake made in the heat of the moment - like pulling over for the guy to get in a fight (like this incident in Dallas https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/01/06/road-rage-dallas-leads-punch-stupid-shooting/ ).
>>
Do you really want to be "that guy?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_r37sYhXsM
>>
>>33394943
a better solution would be to not cause others to rage in the first place, asshole
>>
>>33394995
>"that guy?"

I've seen that video, that is a completely different situation. I don't want to come across as some faggot cowboy wannabe who wants to inflict justice on bad drivers, that guy with the gun obviously didn't intend to use it and risked getting shot himself.

This is a timestamped link to the parking lot situation in the OP - https://youtu.be/68QezDOy0ek?t=274
>>
>>33394943
Poor amg
>>
>>33394943
how fucking retarded are you fucking google the fucking goddamn statute for your motherfucking state regarding use of lethal force you cousin fucking moron
>>
First you need to look up the use of force/self defense laws of your state.
>>
>>33394995
nice fake video
>>
>>33395010
>not to cause others to rage in the first place, asshole

It's not my choice whether someone becomes so enraged at an action in traffic that they begin pursuing me and I can't just ask the guy to stop if he's pursuing my car with the intent to hurt me

>>33395052
Sections 776.012, and 776.013, Florida Statutes, provides that a person is justified in the use of deadly force and has no duty to retreat if either:

(1) the person reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself, or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or
(2) the person acts under and according to the circumstances set forth in Section 776.013 (pertaining to the use of force in the context of a home or vehicle invasion).

The statute is not situation-specific and I am asking for advice as to how not to end up behind bars if I ever do have to stop someone from attacking me like in the video I linked above
>>
>>33395051
I saw a '68 Camaro flipped in the median of a local 4 lane highway here in Florida a few months ago - it was blue with black stripes. Such a shame when this kind of thing happens
>>
>>33394943
stopping in the first place is stupid and should be a last resort.

it's really not hard to lose some dumb asshole in traffic. take a detour.
>>
I have a friend who keeps a gun in his glove box

I don't think he'd ever actually use it but it alarms me how much he talks about using it

>If that happened to me I would have grabbed my pistol etc etc
>>
>>33395123
:( I recently sold my 67. Hope she is still alive.
>>
>>33395082
>It's not my choice whether someone becomes so enraged at an action in traffic that they begin pursuing me and I can't just ask the guy to stop if he's pursuing my car with the intent to hurt me

what did you do to cause him to behave that way? you certainly weren't driving defensively, and DRIVE DEFENSIVELY is rule #1.

if you get road raged its because you brought it on yourself.
>>
>>33395167
I would not say 100%, but generally yeah
>>
>>33395138
That's true - the Dallas incident in the OP is one where the guy stopped to fight with the other one instead of continuing on his way. There are a few situations I have seen in road rage videos where the suspect manages to completely block off the cammer's car from escape, either with traffic or a physically narrow space. Either way, the situation deals with suspects when they exit their vehicle and begin approaching mine.

>>33395167
I should have made more of a disclaimer in the OP as to what brings this on. Maybe you don't live in Florida but the amount of mentally ill people driving here is a legitimate threat no matter how well you drive. It does not matter if you're right, if you drive defensively to the textbook definition or even give these people leeway to the point where you're obstructing traffic, they still will find a way to initiate a confrontation and get angry. Just look at the video I linked here >>33395040

The Indian guy obviously made a mistake while driving but the person provoking the altercation took it many levels beyond reasonable blame or anger.
>>
>>33395222
I should add I also drive an SUV so blocking frustration from not being able to see around me may also contribute to someone getting angry with me but that's less of a factor than, say, their lateness to a job interview or something
>>
>>33394943
Both of your scenarios kind of suck. I'm not fan of retreat requirements, but in a road rage incident you should make every effort to avoid the conflict for practical reasons.

Even if not required, the moment this becomes a "road rage" incident involving 2 parties anyone can say whatever they want about who was threatening whose life. Unless you habe a dash cam that catches the whole thing it will be up to the interpretation of the Grand jury, and maybe the regular jury.

If I were cornered in a road rage deal and could seriously not drive away I'm still going to wait until I see a weapon or he starts trying to beat in my window to shoot

>get chased down by crazy road rage fag
>shoot him as he "aggressively approaches" your car
>go to court
>prosecutor floats theory that you were actually the one engaged in road rage
>dead guys wife testified that she was talking to dead guy on the phone when some nut in a peice of shit MLP sticker covered 1998 celebrity cut him off, then started driving erratically and following him
>his kids testify about how hard life is going to be without a dad
>police forensic tech testifies about all the self defense erotic fan fiction you had been posting on the Internet
>anon is convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to 40 years to life in prison

Don't shoot someone for walking towards your car
>>
>>33395284
Good post. Thanks for the info. I have seen multiple videos of these people coming up the window and screaming their lungs out, pounding on the window but ultimately not doing anything. I get incensed whenever I see these guys do that but then damage the car once they realize they aren't getting the fight they're looking for. It would be just my luck that I run into the one jury that would buy the "just gettin my life back on track i can't live without a dad he dindu nuffin" story.
>>
>>33394943
If you shoot someone because of road rage, you'll likely be going to jail. Even if you brandish a firearm, that's still a criminal offense.

In order to use deadly force, you need reasonable cause to believe that your life was in immediate danger, and you had no other choice. If you can deescalate the situation, or get out of it first, then that's what you should do. Popping a shot into some dude because he's an asshole doesn't make you a tough guy. It makes you a murderer who was just looking for an excuse.

If you don't want to go to jail, you need to be able to articulate why you shot a person, and had no other choice. If he's approaching your car, and you shoot him before he has a chance to say something, and isn't brandishing a weapon, or look like he's cracked out, then you're going to be hearing a lot of questions from a prosecutor, such as
>Why didn't you take a detour? You said he got in front of you. Wouldn't that have been an easy way to lose him?
>Did you try to confront him verbally from within your car?
>When he approached your vehicle, was he making verbal threats of causing bodily harm?
>Was he brandishing, or in possession of a weapon he was preparing to use on you?
>What attempts did you make to deescalate the situation?
>What about his behavior gave you reason to believe there was presence of manifest intent to cause you harm?

Basically, what made you believe he was going to harm you, and why couldn't you have done something else to avoid or prevent harm. Shooting someone really should be your last option.
>>
>>33395337
All good points. Appreciate the perspective - are you a prosecutor? These are particularly cutting examples and I see how I could get diced up in court.
>>
>>33395337
>this
a dude is outside your car. How the fuck is he going to kill you?
If he starts bashing through your window and you can't drive away then you may have some support for you.
But a guy that prevents a forward exit for you and just gets off of the car probably doesn't warrant blasting him.
>>
>>33395439
>a dude is outside your car. How the fuck is he going to kill you?

I guess this brings up the issue of running him down with my car if he steps out. In a few of the videos I've seen, the guy will try and stand in front of the car and block you, sometimes even banging on the hood of the car. Presumably this is the same can of worms in terms of the deadly force issue as cars are deadly weapons.
>>
>>33395222
>Maybe you don't live in Florida but the amount of mentally ill people driving here is a legitimate threat no matter how well you drive.

i dont live in florida. i live in chicago. we have highway shootings here all the time. my point still stands. if you get road raged, its because your behavior was a contributing factor.

dont let someone else's bad day become your bad day. that's just being a grown-up, son.
>>
>>33395481
>i dont live in florida. i live in chicago.

Damn this is the one place I was hoping no one would mention. You're right anon I shouldn't let this shit get to me - there's a reason insurance rates are so high for 20 year old males and I shouldn't contribute to that.
>>
>>33394943

Firstly don't stop. Look for a cop and drive to the nearest police station. If that isn't an option call 911, fill them in and give them updates on your route.

If you are stopped and Mr. Rage is approaching your vehicle with obvious bad intent, you are in a 4 wheeled steel weapon, run him the fuck over.

If you end up in a situation where you can't maneuver out and can't hit him with your vehicle, fire through the glass when he makes contact with your vehicle to force you out. If he has a gun, start shooting immediately.

Don't go getting out of your vehicle for any reason unless you've temporarily ditched him and are making a run for a populated place like a business.
>>
>>33395557
Thanks anon, this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. This covers everything. I drive a Suburban - steel bumpers are a more cost effective replacement than 3 windows, numerous dents and a drink thrown into my car because I decided to sit there and let him take his anger out. I believe I saw a video where a road rager followed a guy to a police station, saw the giant "METRO POLICE" sign and immediately drove off - great deterrent.
>>
>>33395411
>are you a prosecutor?
No, but you can find a lawyer in your area that deals with criminal offenses that will help you at least navigate the laws surrounding the definition of self-defense, and when that crosses over to manslaughter, or homicide. If anything, take a concealed carry course, and they will more than likely give you a broad sense of what the laws are in your state, because they'll probably be required to cover that material in your training.
>>
>>33395651
>take a concealed carry course
I'm planning on it. Never had the need because legally I can carry a gun in my glove box and I don't have to work in high crime areas but I didn't know how much utility there is in doing the course. Thanks anon
>>
>>33395040
lol that miata life spin out
>>
>>33395674
I just recently took mine in Missouri, and they covered several things, such as safety, which not only included how to handle the firearm and the four rules, but carry methods, and holsters, and the inherent benefits/drawbacks of each, as well as some basic shooting techniques, but frankly, you should know how to shoot before you get there. They showed the class what happens when you mishandle a firearm, or use a holster or carry method improperly.
>>
In Ohio in order to use your firearm in self defense you have to prove that your life was in danger / in danger of serious bodily harm. You cannot preemptively use it.

You should never hope to have to use your firearm in self defense. If it's anything other than "I feared for my life" your dumb ass is going to jail.
>>
>>33396155
>>33394943
Btw I know laws differ but in general this is still true.
>>
>>33395040
In that situation, you don't leave your vehicle; you leave the doors locked, call the police, begin recording, and don't reveal that you have a weapon until after the assailant presents what a reasonable person would consider a threat of serious injury or death.

Too bad the guy recording didn't mace the psycho. Woulda been funny. Stupid, but funny.
>>
File: Intimidation fail.webm (1MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
Intimidation fail.webm
1MB, 854x480px
Well you can either do this...
>>
File: CCW road rage.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
CCW road rage.webm
1MB, 640x360px
Or this.
>>
>>33396242
That became murder after the 3rd or 4th shot.
>>
>>33396414
Yeah, but look at the way that guy was dressed and carried himself. You just know that he got a lawyer that let him escape all charges.
>>
>>33396414
this

when the guy hit the car he should have stopped, the repeated shots don't help his case at all
>>
>>33396242
Remember, you're only shooting to stop the threat, not necessarily to kill
>>
>>33396242
Where is this? Doesn't quite like the US. Brazil?
>>
>>33396510
*Doesn't quite look like the US.
>>
>>33396472
>>33396464
>>33396414
Why the fuck are you on this board?

He defended himself. We was obviously facing a serious threat, but had the ability to see the non-threats around him. Who cares about the douche with anger issues?

>He can defend himself without killing him!
Fuck off back to >>redd1t.
>>
>>33396414
It's also complicated by the third-party guy jumping on the shooter, who could argue that he thought third-party and attacker were working together and that third-party was buying attacker time to recover and strike him again.

>>33396464
IIRC he was a Police Chief or something.
>>
>>33396536
>He can defend himself without killing him!
Actually, yes you can. Not every shot is fatal. People do survive shots toe the torso, and rarely the head. Once that guy hits the ground, and you're over him with a gun pointed at him, you have the advantage. You no longer have any wiggle room to keep shooting him. I have zero sympathy for criminals who die doing criminal activities, but it doesn't matter if the shot killed him, or scared him: once he stops being a threat, you stop shooting.
>>
>>33396536
You newfag cuckhold.

They're not saying that in the perfect world he shouldn't have the right to kill the person.

They're saying that in real life American court after the threat is neutralized if you keep firing they will charge you with murder.
>>
>>33396231
lel
>>
>>33396536
Fuck you retard, he paused for 2 seconds and then reached around the intervening guy just to take an extra shot at stickman's head
>>
>>33396414
>guy attacks you with a fucking steel pipe, starts bashing your car and is clearly intending to do you harm
>you shoot him to defend your life from this imminent threat
>hurr durr muh murder after the 3rd shot why didn't he shoot him in the knee

Fuck off you reddit nigger. if you don't want to get shot, don't attack people. It's fucking simple.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.