[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spears/Polearms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

File: glorious halberd.jpg (7KB, 511x167px) Image search: [Google]
glorious halberd.jpg
7KB, 511x167px
Why is the spear so underrated? Westaboos and Weeaboos need to learn that the main weapon of Knights and Samurai was the Halberd or Naginata (or was it the Yari?)
>>
>>33388205
>the main weapon of Knights and Samurai was the Halberd or Naginata
Mounted knights used lances and swords. Dismounted or foot knights used swords, various weapons, sometimes spears and poleaxes. Halberds were the weapon of mercenaries and city levies.
>>
>>33388205
>Naginata (or was it the Yari?)
Depends on the time period, early on (11-14th c. roughly) it was the naginata (glaive), later on (15-16th c.) it was the yari (spear to pike).
The yumi (bow) was extremely popular as well, perhaps even more than melee weapons (among richer samurai anyway). And that's why what is called "bushido" in the later Edo era was referred to as "kyuba no michi" (way of horse and bow) in the actual warring periods.
>>
>>33388205
'Cause nobody had a 6+ feet steel-tipped object pointed at their faces. Swords are fucking easy-mode compared to polearms.
>>
File: CHECKINGINTENSIFIES.jpg (31KB, 500x433px) Image search: [Google]
CHECKINGINTENSIFIES.jpg
31KB, 500x433px
>>33388844
Checked
>>
>>33388844
What are you talking about exactly...?
Also, very nice numbers here.
>>
>>33388920
>>33388857
Thanks, anons. I believe those are my first pretty numbers.
Anyway. I'm a bit of a history-and-fencerfag, so let me elaborate. Let's think middle ages Europe. Vague, I know.
What I meant is that yeah, having, say, 3ft of sharp steel is all well and good (and terrifying) for your opponent to have, but provided you have the same sword, you can still get fucked pretty easily, but parrying isn't all that hard. That being said, it is still a pretty fast and brutal affair. But now think that you have a sword and the other bloke has a 7ft spear. Now he has 4ft reach advantage over you. If you manage to get behind his point and prefferably, grab the spearshaft while doing so, he's toast if he doesn't think fast. But spears are pretty easy to learn your way around and all he has to do is to bring his point back and take a step to the side or back and jab you again. Or maybe just smack you over the head with the shaft. And believe me, cutting off the spearhead is a meme. Next thing is that he has a goddamn lot of leverage advantage over you. Spears, excluding those 2ft blade length monsters, are damn nimble weapons. All it takes to change your "point of impact" from your face to your feet is just a tiny adjustment to the height of the support hand. This can and will fuck with shields smaller than a kite. And having two spears face eachother isn't nice either. It's just kinda sudden death kind of deal.
>>
File: 635264375.jpg (270KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
635264375.jpg
270KB, 1920x1200px
Spear plebs angry they can't afford metal stick
>>
File: IMG_0002.jpg (166KB, 917x845px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0002.jpg
166KB, 917x845px
>>33388205
Polearms = Rifles

Swords = Sidearms
>>
>>33389825
Because swords are pretty to look at and offer elegant on-screen fighting

Polearms are the best melee weapon, and as such have been the primary weapon of infantry since forever.
>>
>>33389825
Another fencerfag here, spears actually have poor mechanical advantage (being less than 1), which is WHY they can move their point so quickly

In contrast, it also means they don't have a lot of power in that movement. Which is why the thickest part of your blade moves less, but has more power. That section has greater mechanical advantage
>>
File: 231.png (774KB, 724x680px) Image search: [Google]
231.png
774KB, 724x680px
>>33388205
You say poleaaelop?
>>
>>33389825
What about zweihanders and large claymores? I know not every one would be able to use one effectively due to strength being such an important factor but wouldn't they make up of the reach advantage polearms have but retain what ever advantage shorter swords had. Also I get that breaking polearms with longswords would be difficult but I see no reason why you couldn't with zweihanders especially since it's supposedly happened and used to somewhat great effect.
>>
>>33389930
Pretty much.
Also
Axes = Shotguns?
>>
>>33390160
I knew someone would bring this up. Which is why I said middle ages Europe. Sure, you can absolutely cut the spear from the shaft. If you stick it in the ground and take your time. If the other blode is trying to kill you, you've got other things to worry about. And no, Zweihanders do not retain the advantage swords have. You cannot carry it around on your hip. Swords are pistols, basically. But yeah, when we're talking about fukken greatswords, things change. Interesting thing is, greatswords weigh and behave to some degree like other polearms. Italian treatises IIRC state that, too, and that they are great for guards and holding chokepoints. When facing one combatant - use it to stick him through, much like a spear (look up halfswording if you don't already, zweihanders are kinda made to facilitate this technique) and when facing groups, use circular or figure-of-eight motions with the sword to keep them at bay and build momentum and (s)lash out as applicable.
>>
>>33388516
This is the only correct answer. Halberds were usually wielded by infantry. Knights typically used the lance, sword, mace, axe, and poleaxe.
>>
>>33390101
King Harlaus, I'm Rhodok
>>
>>33390247
>halberds and poleaxes being fundamentally different
No
>>
We don't use them anymore so people gravitate to the cool stuff they like about their hobby. Not that it really matters until we start riding horses into combat again or have laser spears.
>>
>>33390330

They're fundamentally similar, but not the same Halberds were primarily used by infantry mixed with pikemen. Poleaxes were primarily used by knights in full plate armor against other knights or men at arms in full armor. They are also usually a little shorter then halberds.
>>
>>33390330
One is an individual weapon, the other is a formation weapon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lH6NT-f9LU
Also, poleaxes were one of many weapons used by knights, mostly to the end of their era.
>>
>>33388205
God, halberds make me so fucking hard.
>>
>>33390226
So basically once a sword gets long enough the technique and use basically turns it into a polearm.

I still don't know about zweihanders not breaking Spears. I don't expect the break to be at the end of the spear. Do think it's more likely a strong hit at the middle of the shaft of the spear would break it or knock it out of the users hand?
>>
>>33388205
Because it's not romantic enough
>>
File: 1237202948780.jpg (165KB, 800x444px) Image search: [Google]
1237202948780.jpg
165KB, 800x444px
>>33388205
>Why is the spear so underrated?
>Underrated
>The 'kopia' lance was the main offensive weapon of the hussar. The lances were based on the Balkan and, finally, Hungarian lances, but Polish lances could have been longer and, like their predecessors from the Balkans and Western Europe, they were hollowed, with two halves glued together and painted, and were often richly gilded. They were commonly made from fir-wood, with the lance point being made from forged steel. They had a gałka large wooden ball which served as the handle guard. The hussar's lances usually ranged from 4.5 to 6.2 metres in length and were provided by the King or the banner's owner, not by the regular soldiers. A large 'silk'/taffeta proporzec pennon was attached to the lance below the point.
>>
>>33390599
>>33389825
>cutting off the spearhead is a meme
Not really, it did happen after repetitive strikes to the shaft, it could happen to a weakened spear trying to thrust and breaking in the process.

Some styles taught the use of the quarterstaff as a way to not be defenseless if your spear or polearm lost its head in mid-battle so it indicates that this sort of things happened. It's certainly impossible to break it in one go, but multiple hits will definitely weaken the weapon and make it more susceptible to fail.
>>
>>33390167
>Axes = Shotguns?
Hm, no, I'd say Horseman's pick = Shotgun.
> A use of the horseman's pick was to tear men from their mounts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseman's_pick
>>
File: 28361_c.jpg (115KB, 862x2808px) Image search: [Google]
28361_c.jpg
115KB, 862x2808px
>>33390330
Pollaxes are constructed differently and are usually significantly shorter as they are weapons for one-on-one combat.
>>
>>33388205
Mostly because you really can't call a halberd a spear.
>>
>>33390330
poleaxes tended to be shorter than halberds You can expect a halberd to be taller than you are by a good foot or more. A poleaxe might not come up to your shoulder.
>>
>>33390662
Where'd they get tiger skins?
>>
>>33391208
Imported at massive expense.
>>
>>33391227
Just like today. I wonder how aware they were of what tigers really were. I'm sure they were well educated.
>>
File: NoAyL1s.jpg (79KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
NoAyL1s.jpg
79KB, 600x600px
>>33390247
are you just saying random things to try and impress people?
everyone knows the most badass fighter uses 2 swords at the same time
>>
>>33391244
Oh the people that could afford the fur knew about tigers
>>
File: Di_Grassi.jpg (410KB, 942x744px) Image search: [Google]
Di_Grassi.jpg
410KB, 942x744px
>>33391619
>There are also used nowadays, as well in the schools, as in the lists, two Swords or Rapiers, admitted, and approved both of Princes, and of the professors of this art, for honorable and knightly weapons, albeit they be not used in the wars.
>>
>>33390258
>And huh, you don't get to bring butter
>>
>>33388205
>Why is the spear so underrated?
It's really not.
You can't throw a stone on /k/, /tg/ or any other place where weapons are discussed without hitting someone who couldn't stop fellating polearms if their lives depended on it.
>>
>>33392918
people who know better prefer spears.

but culturally, people love swords and don't even remember spears. Which is kinda sad, cause spears are a better weapon and were probably the first tools used by man.

talk to a couple of normies, they can't get enough of that sword stuff.
>>
They both have their advantages

The spear is a fantastic weapon, when you know you're going to battle. If I was a man at arms marching off in the hundred years war? My primary weapon of choice would be a halberd or spear, with a sword on my hip (no that nonsense of "the sword was sooooo expensive only the most rich people in the country could get one!" Is not true in this time)

If I was just walking around town I'd leave my pole arm at home, because that thing is a pain in the ass to carry since you can't just strap it to your hip
>>
spear combat isn't as photogenic as sword combat, so the public isn't really exposed to the badassery of polearms
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.