[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to shoot in Illinois?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

Moving to Illinois from CA. Where can I shoot? From online research, it seems like I'm totally limited in IL to shooting on private land (in unincorporated areas) or private ranges... correct? As cucked as CA is, some of the cities in IL seem to have even lamer anti-fun laws, and I'm really going to miss just walking out on BLM land to shoot. My brothers in IL, where do you go to shoot? Also, I'll be living in the suburbs north of Chicago. It looks like each city has their own laws regarding things like "assault weapons" and CCW. Any insight on bringing guns, owning guns, and carrying guns in these burbs (maybe Des Plaines, Mt. Prospect, etc.)?
>>
>>33386762
As with most laws, laws regarding AWB are "homerule", meaning the local laws supercede state laws. Conceal carry, however, is the opposite. AWB laws, magazine limits, etc dont apply to any firearm you can conceal. When you have a conceal carry permit, you only need to abide by the state laws in regards to what is legal and what isn't (provided you can conceal the weapon). The definition of concealable firearm is not specific for this law, but it appears the definition of concealed is a fully assembled, loaded firearm mostly concealed by clothing. This means you could put an AR15 under your jacket in chicago and legally carry it. The AWB is mostly unenforced as of late anyway. With all that being said, I wouldn't risk it and I'd keep my "AW"s hidden. Lawyers cost money and shit.
>>
>>33386762
and I shoot at a bunch of public ranges. It costs money everywhere I go.
>>
>>33386762
Two options come to mind. South side of shitcago seems to have open shooting most days. Or a short drive to Wisconsin.
>>
I shoot at private land. You made the obvious mistake of moving to the shitty part of Illinois.
>>
>>33386836
Thanks man, that's helpful. Yeah, I was reading about "homerule". Glad the CC permit is state issued. Any hoops with that permit beyond getting FOID first, taking the class, doing the paperwork? Here in CA CCW can be hampered city by city or county by county depending on the Sheriff and their view on "good cause". I couldn't find anything online about a similar "good cause" hurdle in IL. Is there something similar? It's good that some of the burbs outside of Chicago don't have AWB in place. It sounds (much like in CA) like you're better off keeping anything that could be viewed as "AW" hidden as you say. Would you not take such things to the public ranges? Or does that differ by where the range is?
>>
>>33387044
Kek. And yeah, I was thinking I should buy a cheap piece of land in southern WI to do my thing. I saw some pieces of acreage in the sub-$10,000 range that would be like an hour(ish) drive.
>>
>>33386762
I live in Northern Illinois and there's plenty of places to shoot. It is somewhat limiting and can be expensive sometimes. A lot of places require you to be an NRA member to join and then are usually ~$300/year +cleanup and club days. Near the chicago suburbs, I can suggest the Aurora Sportsmans club, they're all outdoor with pistol ranges at 25 and 50 yards and rifle ranges out to 600 yards. If you're looking for indoor ranges, there's one I think in Crystal Lake IL, but it's a little pricey per hour if I remember.

I personally live about an hour and a half west of Chicago, so there's really no limitation on what I can own, but if you're going to live in Cook county... Don't... that's all I can say. For bringing guns, just make sure they're all properly cased. Ammo can be stored with the firearm, but they HAVE to be in a case DESIGNED for a firearm. Again, aside from cook county and a couple other shit counties, there's really no limitation on what you can own. Carrying could be difficult depending on where you are just because a lot of state land is a no-no carry zone, but once you pay your handy $300 to get your CC licence and wait your 6 months, you shouldn't be bothered too much.

Pic is my collection, but I do plan to leave Illinois sooner than later... the whole state is a sinking ship.

Best of luck with your move.
>>
>>33387091
Yeah, I'm following the money. At least I'm not moving to actual Shitcago. I guess I was surprised to realize that there is basically no BLM land to shoot on beyond the Plains states. The drive to get to BLM land can be long if you live in the city in CA, but it feels like sweet, sweet freedom to head out on public land and just shoot.
>>
>>33387124
Illinois got bitchslapped in the supreme court and is now shall issue. Any LEO who denies permits with a political agenda gets fucked. The conceal carry law in Illinois is one of the best thought out ones of any state - you just have the hurdle of getting the permit.

While some burbs/towns dont have AWB, Cook County does. For AWB it goes state < county < municipality < conceal carry permit. So locality is king but CC overrules.

>>33387159
> a lot of state land is a no-no carry zone,

True, and you cant carry in parks, unless you're just walking through the park, on the trail, from one legal carry location to another. If you are planning to carry into a park, you can not legally say that you were carrying while going to the park. You have to just be passing through the park. Can you step off the trail to go to the bathroom? It's unclear. I like to think this was done on purpose to give carriers a chance to have an excuse to carry into places where others want it banned.
>>
>>33387159
Thanks man! And thanks for the recommendation on Aurora, it looks good and that yearly price isn't too bad. Good to know about the case thing (in CA, guns have to be stored away from ammo in a locked case for transport).

>>3387223
> you just have the hurdle of getting the permit

That's what I hoped. As far as things being nebulous about where you can carry, I guess I expected that. I've been in basically a "no issue" county in CA though, so IL's state law trumping local laws sounds great.
>>
>>33387159
BTW, nice family. How do you like the Bodyguard? Is it pocket carry-able? I have the Shield and like it, and can even sorta, maybe pocket it with the short mag, but I've been looking at Kahr P380, LCP II, and the Bodyguard for a small pocketable option.
>>
>>33387565
I like they bodyguard. For a summer carry gun, it works great since I'm thin and yea, you can easily pocket carry with it. The sights are some of the best in the little babby class it's in. I plan to get a FNS-9C for carry when I'm not wearing single layer though.

A while ago, I had one of my reloads get a partial charge and it squibbed on me in the middle of a shoot, luckily right near the end of a phase, so the only other gun I had on me was the bodyguard and we were doing all 25 yard shooting. Instead of giving up, I decided to shoot the rest of the night with the BG and I actually did surprisingly well. I expected groups to be at least 3-4x bigger with a gun that small, but really they were only about 1.5-2x the size of the model 10s groupings. Before that, I had almost sold it and bought a Shield in 9, but since then, I figured it shoots well enough and good 380 ammo does a good enough job, so I just stuck with it.
>>
>>33386762
One indoor range I like to use is Gat Guns in East Dundee, tons of available rentals as well. Often they have a pretty good deal on bulk ammo. Gun selection is priced high but a lot available. They have plenty of good quality classic rifles.
>>
>>33386762
From fire into a frying pan. Good job OP
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px)
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I shoot in at Caliber Range in Waukegan. have yet to find anywhere to shoot outdoors. :(
>>
>>33387642
Cool, yeah, I had seen in reviews that the sights are much better than, say, the LCP. Can't get a Bodyguard in CA, so I'll have to check it out when I get to IL. Since I like the Shield, but want something smaller for pocket/single layer days, I guess I'll probably like the BG.
>>
I live in Chicago, which gets a double whammy of Cook County and City of Chicago AWB ban. But its completely unenforced, I have a friend who was pulled over with a SCAR 17S, declared it to the officer, and let go without even a warning. Half the people I know own AR-15's. AK's are the one where you may get a side eye, just because they the types more often used by gangs traditionally in the city but if you're not on the GEU's radar (bad place to be in general) you should be fine too. Doesn't mean I'd go flaunting my illegal gun, but the vast majority of officers are not interested in enforcing the ban on people who are not affiliated.

Do make sure you get a FOID, they will fuck you on that.

There are some really great stores in the area staffed by great people, North American Firearms in Lombard is a very small operation but they are great. Pelchers has a great staff and small, very laid back indoor range. Article II will let you shoot anything but its a shithole.

Outdoor...well you can drive to Buffalo Rock and experience that shitshow just for the right to use a 100 yard range for fucking $20. Indiana, Wisconsin and Michigan are really your best bet.

The fun laws here are shitty in a lot of ways but its made up for by being unenforced. You may encounter issues out of state if you have a Chicago address as stupid fudd storeowners will think they are straw purchasing Lee Enfields for GD members, but most of the time you just get "hur hur welcome to the free world!" jokes. Illinois is a great state, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the people here, even us Chicagoans.
>>
>>33387882
>>33387967
Thanks for the recommendations on indoor ranges, both of those are pretty close to where I'll be. Since bulk ammo came up, does anyone know about shipping restrictions in IL? I think I've seen a few websites that say "no shipping to IL". Is that just because of Cook County? Even in CA, online ordering of ammo is still legal for the moment, until the latest set of anti-fun laws takes effect.
>>
>>33386762

Illinois State Rifle Association

http://www.isra.org/Participate/YourMembership/JointheRange.aspx
>>
>>33386762
Come on CA anon, your gun law-fu should be fine-tuned by now, seeing as you have to fine tune it if you enjoy "trying" to exercise the 2A in CA.
>>
>>33388090
Thanks, that's good to know about lack of enforcement. I'm glad if LEOs know the laws are bullshit. Even in CA, I think LEOs in most cities wouldn't fuck you for having a "featured" gun if you weren't already involved in some other bad shit. I won't be testing that.

Thanks for the lowdown on other ranges.

Regarding making purchases in neighboring states, they won't question an out of state ID? My understanding is a CA ID is an instant "no-go" in our neighboring states with free-er fun laws.
>>
>>33388176
I'll join. Wish the range was a little closer to where I'll be.

>>33388203
Honestly, I've lived in CA most of my life, I've always exercised my 2A right, and I've always enjoyed hiking around the deserts and chaparrals to go shooting. I never really felt the 'pinch' that much. Now though, what really made me say "WTF?!" was the ever shrinking "handgun roster" and the latest raft of laws, the worst of which is (basically) the registration of boolits. Fuck sake...
>>
File: Downstate.jpg (289KB, 1280x1280px)
Downstate.jpg
289KB, 1280x1280px
I came into this thread expecting to get some info about Illinois.
Instead, its about Chiraq and the burbs.

>Fug.
>>
>>33389010
the vast majority of people from Illinois live in or around Chicago. what do you expect people to think? "I better not assume too much this guy might be from Decatur!"
>>
File: us-il-sp.gif (9KB, 360x216px) Image search: [Google]
us-il-sp.gif
9KB, 360x216px
>>33389025
Fair enough.
Just wishful thinking I suppose.

>Decatur
Thankfully no, but in Springfield it's not much better.
At least it doesn't smell.
>As bad.
>>
>>33388090
Stay out of my state FIB reeeeee
>>
File: latest.png (7KB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
7KB, 426x426px
there's no "ha ha now you're stuck in ohio" meme for illinois, but there may just as well be.

come for the traffic, stay for the government without a budget. its like a little slice of italy.
>>
>>33389056
where do you guys shoot downstate?

honestly I'm tired of driving hours just for the "pleasure" of shooting with >>33389076 these inbreds. anything on 55 between Joliet and Springfield? I've never been south of I-80 so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>33389089
Private property mostly.
There's not a lot of ranges that are open to the public, that I know of anyway.

Look up RobSki and the AK Operaters Union, they're in Romeoville.
Think they do some classes in their 'backyard'.

>I've never been south of I-80 so I wouldn't know.
Damn, that's where Illinois really starts.
>>
>>33388092
Cook county is the painful area, a few towns have restrictions. But everywhere else is fine. I ordered some from Midwayusa and had it shipped without issues.
>>
File: 1489115152756m.jpg (72KB, 1024x740px)
1489115152756m.jpg
72KB, 1024x740px
>Where can I shoot in Illinois
Yep, you're going to the suburbs.

You have really 3 options in the suburbs

>Go to indoor ranges that cost money
>Go a little South away from the suburbs into ranges that may or may not cost money. 1-3 hour drives one way
>Go to Indiana gun ranges on the border for free. 1-2 hour drive one way

I recommend Jasper Pulaski
>>
>>33389127
AK operators are in romeoville?
>>
File: 1485234804148.jpg (31KB, 720x480px)
1485234804148.jpg
31KB, 720x480px
Go to OnTarget Range in Crystal Lake.Its a drive but the range is great the prices are great the staff is laid back because they dont have the retards Cook County has. Im in Arlington Heights.
>>
>>33389262
Thanks, I looked at some of the sites I regularly order ammo from and it looks like they're mostly GTG. I can't remember now where I've seen the "no shipping to IL" shit.

>>33390616
>>33392136
Thanks for the recommendations. Jasper Pulaski is too far to go to regularly, but looks cool and much more like the outdoor shooting I'm used to. Can't beat free either.
>>
>>33386762
Gnr gun range in waukegan is nice.
>>
>>33386762
Chicago area? Maxon Shooter's Supply in Des Plaines or Article 2 in Lombard.
>>
>>33386762
You shoot in Missouri.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.