[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Caliber Questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (315KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
315KB, 3000x2000px
I don't know much about loading so bear with me.

So .40S&W and 9mm are both rated for 35,000 psi. So assume the 9mm and .40 both have a round that maxes out this 35,000 psi limit, the felt recoil should be the same but its not.

So I can infer that bullet weight must have something to do with felt recoil because the .45 has much more felt recoil than 9mm and .45 has less psi and more bullet weight.

>Why does bullet weight effect felt recoil?
>>
>>33384370
Because kinetic energy is one half the mass times the velocity squared and for every action there is an equal and/or opposite reaction.

This means the .40 will be sending the slide/barrel/upper assembly shit backwards faster.

The slide assembly going back faster also means more recoil because more velocity for the equation with the slide assembly.

And you also have to consider that they are usually the same size/weight as a 9mm which means all the extra kinetic energy you now have is being distributed over the same area in your hand as the 9mm kinetic energy.
>>
>>33384479
OOOOHHH I see. OK then that makes sense.
>>
>>33384370
Different powders feel different also. Even if you load a .45 with same bullet and same fps. Powders have different burn rates.
>>
>>33387172
Thank you for this, I forgot to include burn rate and case capacity in
>>33384479

Those will also effect felt recoil as 5kg per square inch (just random ass measurements off the top of my head) over .02 seconds is much harder than the same thing over .05 seconds.
>>
>>33387172
>>33387341
But if the powder burns faster that would result in a higher case mouth pressure right? I tried to eliminate that variable by saying that the rounds we were comparing all maxed out the case mouth pressure.
>>
File: tula, wolf, winchester 005_0.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tula, wolf, winchester 005_0.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
Also, before the thread dies...

fucking 9mm, 9mm +P, 9mm +P+, 9mm Nato...
From what I've gathered here is the approximate pressures.

9mm <35,000psi
9mm +P <38,500psi
9mm +P+ >38,000psi
9mm Nato 38,500-42,000psi
Now nato is peculiar, because every military will specify more precise parameters for their countries ammunition, but the Nato standard is just to make all of the individual loads produced per the different contracts within a certain range, so that there is at least some interchangeability and one country doesnt produce super hot or super under pressured rounds right? I've heard from range coaches that the USMC uses the equivalent of 9mm 124g +P.

Is a 9mm nato case the same as a 9mm or 9mm +P case? Can I put +P in a non NATO case if I am reloading?
>>
>>33389672
Your NATO pressures are way off. Should be midway between +p and regular.
>>
>>33389721
oops, I've been reading forum posts and I can't seem to find a credible source.

You wouldn't happen to know if the cases are all the same?
>>
>>33389721
http://gigconceptsinc.com/files/STANAG4090-cartridge_9x19.pdf

Whats radial copper?
>>
>>33389672
real fucking nato
>>
So wait: 9mm NATO has a higher maximum chamber pressure than .50 AE (36,000 psi)?
>>
>>33394519
look up the PSI on the various 5.7x28 loads - PSI is not a direct metric for power
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.