[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ATF refuses to recognize decades of precedent and their own 1999

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 12

File: revolver with silencer.jpg (242KB, 1280x847px) Image search: [Google]
revolver with silencer.jpg
242KB, 1280x847px
Hopefully the HPA passes, because owners of suppressors that need wipes to run well are potentially fucked. The ATF just ruled that wipes are silencer parts:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/03/20/wipes-silencer-parts/
>>
How is no one interested in this? This is worse than the arm brace ruling since wipes haven't even been used outside of their original intent. This coming from the ATF shows that ATF rulings and precedent aren't worth the paper they're printed on no matter how old they are.
>>
>>33378905
Sorry, CA here wtf is wipes.

We aren't allowed scary suppressors.
>>
File: 1488897592351.jpg (148KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1488897592351.jpg
148KB, 1280x720px
>>33378905
>The ATF just ruled that wipes are silencer parts
>>
>>33380110
Basically rubber washers used in place of baffles. They were generally used in older designs though some newer designs still give you the option to use them to make the suppressor a bit more effective. They only last about 20-30 rounds before they need to be replaced though. With the ATF classifying wipes as silencer parts under the law, the end user can no longer replace them when they wear down and must bring the suppressor to a properly licensed individual to get it repaired.
>>
File: 1481230348271.png (2MB, 1205x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1481230348271.png
2MB, 1205x2048px
>>33380225
Thanks ATF
>>
>>33380225
Or just get an exacto knife and some rubber.
>>
File: atf.jpg (46KB, 254x600px) Image search: [Google]
atf.jpg
46KB, 254x600px
>>33380322
Are you ready to risk up to 10 years in federal prison and fines up to $10,000 for each wipe you illegally manufacture, along with the emotional consiquences of being partially responsible for the death of every dog in the AO?
>>
>>33380418
They're not wipes man, they're homemade shot-glass coasters.
>>
>>33378905
>Trump elected
>ATF issues statement saying they're gonna chill out on regulations
>ATF keeps being fucking idiots
Time to abolish.
>>
>>33380418
just like all the poor poor sons of bitchs who dont abid by 922r during their builds and just dont tell anyone.

Protip, not one private citizen ever has ever been prosecuted of that, let alone convicted.
>>
File: l_disk_shooter1.jpg (26KB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
l_disk_shooter1.jpg
26KB, 300x290px
>>33380418
Pictured: Illegal silencer wipe dispenser
>>
>>33378905
I wonder how long it will take before the head Cheeto responds to this.
>>
File: r8MMxvL-152541.jpg (62KB, 506x900px) Image search: [Google]
r8MMxvL-152541.jpg
62KB, 506x900px
>>33380288
>>
>>33382384
atleast 8 years
>>
File: fry.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
fry.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>33380322
>>
>>33378905
I thought they ruled wipes as silencer parts decades and decades ago?
>>
>>33381996
922r is actually difficult to prove and mainly exists for FFLs and importers.

A silencer is a silencer.
>>
>>33383283
No shit. Who and how would you enforce this though.
>>
>>33378905
>ATF just ruled that wipes are silencer parts
what is a wipe?
>>
>>33383314
Considering wipes only last about a magazine worth of shooting, you'd need to have a bunch of them with you any time you actually brought your suppressor out to use it. Most gun owners don't have their own land to shoot on.

>>33383343
Try reading past the first post before responding to a thread.
>>
>>33383384
>Most gun owners don't have their own land to shoot on.
Literally WHAT?? That's a pretty big statement to make.

Again, who the fuck is going to enforce this.
>>
>>33383427
It will probably be a tack on crime. So if you get busted with something else they get you for more. Or maybe use it so you plead guilty for dropping it.
>>
>>33383484
>He has foam and a knife boys. Take him in.
Nah.
>>
>>33383427
Most gun owners don't though.

Not everyone lives out in the country.

Why do you think gun ranges exist?
>>
>>33383427
>Literally WHAT?? That's a pretty big statement to make.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/census-rural-us-loses-population-first-time-040425697.html
>About 46.2 million people, or 15 percent of the U.S. population, reside in rural counties
That population is including the people still living in towns in those rural counties.

>>33383500
How many people are only going to cut out more wipes as they need them?
>>
>>33383512
For idiots to pay range fees? It's stupid tax. In any state there is land to go and shoot at. And knowing people who have land helps too but I forget everyone on 4chan is a shutin NEET with no social skills.
>>
>>33383521
>Live in city
>drive 30 minutes into the woods to public land
>??????
>profit

>>33383521
You can use a metal mold and a hammer to make a new one in a single strike.
>>
>>33383528
>For idiots to pay range fees? It's stupid tax. In any state there is land to go and shoot at. And knowing people who have land helps too but I forget everyone on 4chan is a shutin NEET with no social skills.
So what do you do when you're out on state land and a fudd game warden happens to stop by and sees all the unregistered silencers you're leaving all over the ground?

>>33383560
>You can use a metal mold and a hammer to make a new one in a single strike.
That's called constructive possession. Same as owning an AK parts kit and an reciever flat with the necessary hole drilled for an autosear.
>>
>>33383683
> fudd game warden happens to stop by and sees all the unregistered silencers you're leaving all over the ground?
You mean the coin sized pieces of trash, on the ground in the middle of the woods, covered by leaves what no actual proof that they're yours besides you also owning a silencer?

>That's called constructive possession
It's called a cookie mold or anything else you can come up with.

Look at this thread. No one cares. Old suppressors are not going to be retro fitted to have some kind of seal on them only smiths can open, and no one is going to go around checking your pockets for pieces of foam.
Like you said it's an add on charge.
>>
Wait did you even read the article OP????
>he Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (BATFE or ATF) has notified silencer manufacturer Dead Air Armament that the wipes used in their Ghost M silencer is a silencer part.
>Last week, we were notified by the BATFE that they consider the accessory aperture wipe on our Ghost 45M suppressor to be a “silencer” part.
It's one fucking brand. Whoooooooo caresssssss.
>>
>>33383724
>have a random "cookie" cutter and a hard object to use it to cut "cookies" on, along with material to cut "cookies" from sitting out
>have "cookies" cut from that said material littering the area where you're shooting because you have to change them every magazine
>have a suppressor that uses said "cookies" with the necessary tool to open it also nearby, since it needs to be used after every mag you shoot
Totally not obvious to anyone who might find themselves in the area.

>>33383744
And the ATF going back on their arm brace ruling originally only targeted one brand.
>>
>>33383861
Or you could shoot a suppressor that isn't some single issue thing. You can pick ANY suppressor from any company in the world and you picked one that uses something inside it that degrades within a single magazine.

Also with the cookie cutter thing; I don't know about you but I keep a toolbox in my car. Why would I not be able to just toss it in there with all the other bits and tools.

How about you fucking buy a normal suppressor that doesn't rely on shit you have to change out every 30 rounds; or if you really want to keep it, just continue shooting. Sure it will ruin the rubber, but it was already going to do that anyway, wasnt it? I'm not sure you understand how little the rubber degrading effects its performance.
>>
>>33382439
I don't understand why any federal agency would use social media for anything beyond relatively important announcements. They should all know that the only people who follow them are the people who hate them.
>>
>>33383905
>Or you could shoot a suppressor that isn't some single issue thing. You can pick ANY suppressor from any company in the world and you picked one that uses something inside it that degrades within a single magazine.
Some people like the stubby 4" suppressors that have come to the market more recently.

>How about you fucking buy a normal suppressor that doesn't rely on shit you have to change out every 30 rounds; or if you really want to keep it, just continue shooting. Sure it will ruin the rubber, but it was already going to do that anyway, wasnt it? I'm not sure you understand how little the rubber degrading effects its performance.
Wipes work because the hole is smaller than the bullet, they stop working when the hole becomes larger than the bullet. As for how it affects performance, the suppressor mentioned in the article from the OP gets an additional 5 decibel reduction and the stubby 4" suppressors and older suppressor that depended on multiple wipes will get more.
>>
>>33378905

Fine, you know what, go all out at this point. In the current political climate, without a deliberate overreach (and resulting court or supreme court cases), nothing will change in terms to making gun laws better.

Rule that the act of re-assembling a silencer after disassembly could be constituted as "manufacturing" and therefore only permitted by SOT's. All silencers must be returned to the manufacturer or authorized SOT to be cleaned, legally.

Maybe that will make people angry enough to finally put pressure on politicians to remove them from the NFA, who knows.
>>
>>33384226
>he doesn't know about sealed cans
>he hasn't heard of THE DIP
>>
File: c7xhOav.jpg (100KB, 533x400px) Image search: [Google]
c7xhOav.jpg
100KB, 533x400px
>>33384039
>5 dB difference and you're complaining about having to replace rubber buffers that will continue to work unless your rifle is keyholing
>>
>>33384371
>and the stubby 4" suppressors and older suppressor that depended on multiple wipes will get more.
The suppressor from the article has wipes as an extra feature on an already effective can. Other suppressors use wipes as a key part of their design.
>>
>>33384405
what is to stop someone from using gee I dont know... metal baffles?
>>
>>33384569
How about you actually read some about the subject. Those micro suppressors use wipes in addition to baffels because the baffels don't do enough by themselves in that small of a suppressor.
>>
>>33384302

I knew about sealed cans, didn't know about "the dip", so used the google.

Holy lol, love the homebrew chemistry. Just don't get the resulting lead acetate solution on your skin.
>>
>>33384617
How about you just shoot it enough that the carbon build up becomes muffling. There are a million things you can do to lower and offset the pressure and dB heard. Or do some research before you buy and don't get something that shoots itself to pieces in a magazine.
>>
>>33384645
>How about you just shoot it enough that the carbon build up becomes muffling.
It doesn't work like that.

>Or do some research before you buy and don't get something that shoots itself to pieces in a magazine.
Some people want a small suppressor. I personally wouldn't own one, but I'm not going to tell them to not worry about a ruling that effectively bans gun related things that they find fun.
>>
>>33384676
Wait. You're telling me fouling build up doesn't create surface area ideal for sound suppression?

It's not banned though. And you don't have to use wipes. And no ones going to come to your house for making your own. Do you know how many retards have illegal sbrs and suppressors?
>>
>>33378905
>the AFT ruled...
Literally doesn't matter.

Gorsuch doesn't believe that agency interpretations of law are binding.
>>
File: fun things are fun.jpg (111KB, 914x600px) Image search: [Google]
fun things are fun.jpg
111KB, 914x600px
>>33384695
>oh but it isn't that bad that people will get screwed by this law
>just do it illegally if you want it so bad
>>
>>33378905
so now i have to spend twenty bux on mcmaster carr and an hour in the shop. is that a felony if I make my own wipes?
what are you doing ATF?
>>
>>33384724
They're little plastic washers. Who the fuck is going to enforce this. You dont need to even use wipes in suppressors. What about the thousands of people who aren't actively scanning the internet and have lives who aren't going to hear about this.
I didn't say to do it illegally, please reread. I told you you don't have to use wipes, it's not banned so you can still go about it legally, you don't have to replace them every 30 rounds; they will still work, and no one is going to call the atf on you for having a suppressor. Shit if anyone even asks you should have the paperwork readied and on hand anyway.

>people will get screwed by this law
People with a very specific suppressor who probably have already been replacing and have a shit load of replacements might lose 2 seconds of sleep over this law.
>>
>>33384813
It is specifically for this one single brand of suppressors model. Everyone else is fine. Either way you can just shoot through or without wipes without a big difference.
>>
>>33384831
>It is specifically for this one single brand of suppressors model
And the ATF going back on their arm brace ruling originally only targeted one company as well.
>>
>>33384855
For the 20th time, you don't even need to use wipes. I know this has happened before but the ATF is fucking stupid. There is no discussion here. This surprises no one.
>>
>>33384885
And again, some suppressors are designed aroud using wipes to achieve safe noise levels.
>>
>>33384911
For the 21st time, research before you buy something that shoots itself apart.
>>
anybody have a infographic on how to make wipes?

I sorta understand what they are but I'm not sure how you fix them in the suppressor in place of baffles.
How are they held in?
>>
>>33380322
pretty much, the ATF can't stop rubber wipes any more than shoestrings
>>
>>33385186
hello ATF, slow night, isnt it?
>>
>>33385275
yes in fact

carry on citizen
>>
>>33378905
the ATF whitepaper on gun regulations dated Jan 20th 2017 clearly states "silencers are very rarely used in criminal shootings. Given the lack
of criminality associated with silencers, it is reasonable to conclude that they should not
be viewed as a threat to public safety necessitating NFA classification, and should be
considered for reclassification under the GCA."
>>
File: 1480756066851.jpg (1MB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1480756066851.jpg
1MB, 1280x1280px
>>33381999
>>
>>33385398
The opinion of one single ATF official means nothing.
>>
>>33385526
it does if it is the Associate Deputy Director
>>
File: IMG_0030.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>33382439
>anime and meme avatars
>>
>>33384371
5db isn't insignificant.
>>
>>33384645
>and don't get something that shoots itself to pieces in a magazine
Are you a retard? The wipes are an expendable element, and the objection is changing the legal status of the expendable element to effectively make it useless for people with devices assisted by them.

Primers are expendable too but would you tell people to suck it up and pursue other options if the ATF ended up making a ruling stating that you're now restricted from repriming brass?
>>
>>33384716
And the ATF doesn't care about that, they'll prosecute you if they want.
>>
>>33385186
You make a rubber disc the diameter of the inside of your silencer. Then you'd stack, maybe one wipe on each baffle.

They wear out, as said, but they can do a lot for making a silencer quieter. If you can find footage of a .32ACP Welrod firing, that shit is quiet as the night.
>>
>>33386405
thanks man

google images didn't help much so I appreciate it.
>>
>>33383500
Book 'em Dano!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkrQXuDq24
>>
>>33382439
Every ATF post is like this. Cracks me up every time
>>
>>33383512
>be me, Jerseyfag, living in suburban soccer mom central
>take 6 months to get FID
>Buy Chinese nugget carbine
>Go to local indoor range
>after every shot the shockwave damn near shakes the building apart that houses local indoor range
>other shooters step out of their bays, not knowing what in the fuck is being shot next to them, the fireball nearly blinds them
>'tis me, blasting away with chink nugget
>>
File: romney laugh.jpg (28KB, 560x375px) Image search: [Google]
romney laugh.jpg
28KB, 560x375px
>>33381945
>he thought Trump would actually do any of the things he said he was going to do
>>
>>33381885
Oh fuck, my shot glass coasters just became constructive possession. Better start digging a grave for puppet.
>>
>>33381945
Yeah the "leaked" ATF memo was bullshit. They just wanted gun owners to become complacent.
>>
>>33381999
That's going to be classified as destructice device any day now. It shoots rubber disks which are now silencers which are under federal laws guns all on their own.
>>
>>33383861

Constructive possession only works on things they can prove exist for the purpose.

They're going to have to prove that your gasket material, punches and hammer are intended to build a suppressor, and that's a hard sell even for the ATF.

It's not about what's obvious to you, it's about what's blatant. A lightning link in your ammo box is constructive possession, a lightning link on your keychain is a bottle opener you got from a range buddy.
>>
>>33380418
>>33378905
what the fuck is their legal definition of a "wipe
then? have they ever opened up a garden hose or a watering nozzle? are millions of geriatric, rose-watering americans in danger of being arrested for possession and storage of illegal silencer parts?
>>
>>33383427
>Literally WHAT?? That's a pretty big statement to make.

you're a fucking idiot if you think 150,000,000 gun owners own land to shoot on
>>
>>33381999
Do they still make electronic versions of these?
I had a fully auto one back in the day and I desire one again.
>>
https://twitter.com/ATFHQ/status/843885013301125120
Get to meme-ing it up
>>
>>33387232
It's also automatic.

So that's a unregistered fully automatic pistol that fires unregistered illegal firearms.

How many felonies are we on right now?
>>
>>33388985
No seriously. Do you guys know how often they post their K9 units? This is a prime opportunity to fuck with them a little. What are you people waiting for?
>>
>>33388997
Fuck off, 13 year old
>>
Anyone that uses wipes in the current year is retarded anyway.
>>
wipes are the thing ghost dog is putting in his suppressor in that scene?
>>
>>33385149
You do realize a lot of older suppressor designs require wipes to function as more than a steel barrel shroud right? So it means anyone who happens to have a suppressor built from the 1950's till the early 1990's now has a paperweight unless he wants to technically do something illegal.
Hell every single MAC-10 had a suppressor that used wipes to function.
>>
>>33388970
>asking about full auto anything in an ATF topic
hope you don't have a dog.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.