[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prep thread? What is THE best surplus gas mask for nbc operations?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: test-s11.jpg (146KB, 391x609px) Image search: [Google]
test-s11.jpg
146KB, 391x609px
Prep thread?

What is THE best surplus gas mask for nbc operations?
>>
>>33374400
>without the pipe
pick up that can
>>
>>33374400
My understanding is that they're all pretty useless for anything being the novelty or LARPing due to expired filters. So, meh.
>>
>>33374400
If nbc is your concern the suit and decontamination baths are a bit more important than the mask
>>
>>33374400
A non surplus one >>33374470 is right, there are a lot of variables that go wrong in surplus, issues with seals, expired cans etc. You are better off getting a 3M or shelling out for the new military ones F50 or something like that.

>>33374501
This guy also has a good point but having some throw away Cammies you can throw over a Tyvec suit and rubber gloves along with the mask and Bam you have a Camouflaged NBC suit.
>>
>>33374400
Gp-5 asbestos filters all the way bby
>>
>>33375122
this

if you're serious about nbc protection, you'll buy new. if you just want to rp stalker, surplus will do.
>>
>>33374400
Don't listen to these faggots. I did a little research on this when buying my own gasmask.

Any mask that takes 40mm NATO standard filters will do. That way, you can buy new filters to put in the old mask.

Don't listen to faggots that tell you you need a brand new $300 mask or respirator. As long as it makes a good seal and takes 40MM filters, it's good enough.

The newer the better. Avoid 60s or 70s filters, that's when they usually used asbestos and such.

The idea that old filters are totally useless is a meme. One of the main components to a filter is activated charcoal, which doesn't go bad as long as it's kept sealed. That's probably the most important filter for a majority of gases--including most modern nerve gases. The only thing old filters don't perform well against is the old war gases, like chlorine and phosgene and such.

Protip: Get a P-100 particulate filter. It's an extra piece that clips on the outside of the main filter, and it filters out particulate material like anthrax spores and tear gas. Good for nuclear fallout too.

I got a German surplus mask from the 80s, and I'm happy with it. Good seal and takes 40mm filters
>>
>>33376059
I mean the only reason I suggest things like 3M is the availability, should something go wrong I know I can run down to my local hardware store and get some more filters, you can buy them by the crate full if needed rather than having to go and contact Ivan for a new supply run of (insert whichever filter your using)
>>
>>33374400
SGE 400/3 mask takes standard 40mm and has a drinking tube, good secure mount and no eyehole fuckery, provides good vision
>>
File: 1490061238233.jpg (269KB, 391x609px) Image search: [Google]
1490061238233.jpg
269KB, 391x609px
>>33374400
>>
my waifu's pantsu
>>
>>33376755
this
>>
>>33375794
This

>>33375767
Asbestos protection is a must have if you're inna earthquake or twister areas

As for biological and chemical attacks, they are just too uncommon to happen. The problem with biological threats is that the bug eventually comes around and starts hurting the one that released it. (Weaponized biological agents) and chemical weapons are just too impractical because they have a small effect area and still need a lot of chemical agent to kill off a large area.

The only places you'll see chemical warfare is in terrorist scenarios such as the Tokyo Metro back in '95 and hell holes like Syria. So you either ain't prepared (since I hope you don't wear a gasmask when innacity) or you ain't around at all.

When it comes to radiological weapons, you need a fallout shelter with HEPA filters.

On topic: This pastebin might be useful for new preppers when it comes to where to start.
http://pastebin.com/raw/FhKXrmYh

Current content:
1. Standard Operating Procedure during a disaster or calamity
2. Threat Analysis
3. PDCA Cycle
4. Vital Infrastructures
5. Prepping Priorities
6. Food Storage
7. Medication & Medical gear
-OTC Medication
-Medical gear
-Trauma care items
8. Communication Gear
-Introduction to Communications Equipment
-Portable Antennas
-Programming your Two-way Radio
-"Privacy Codes" or CTCSS/DCS
9. Information & Links

Pic related, a useful tool called a silcock key
>>
>>33377615
>When it comes to radiological weapons, you need a fallout shelter with HEPA filters.

Yeah but not just any HEPA filter. I was at a government auction and came across some NBC HEPA filters and those fuckers were almost 2 foot thick. I used one for a laminar flow hood I built and the other I have in my ummm "root cellar"
>>
>>33377673
Oh yeah I feel that. Don't buy an .22 Short when /k/ tells you to buy a gun for protection.

On a side note, any other cool stuff at that government auction? Also what you use that laminar flow hood for?
>>
>>33377682
>On a side note, any other cool stuff at that government auction?

They had some vehicles and a bunch of outdated equipment nothing special. I just like to go to auctions never know what will turn up

Also what you use that laminar flow hood for?

mushroom cultivation
>>
>>33377700
Mane that sounds like surplus paradise. I love to buy outdated but professional gear for a fraction of what it costed. Still looking to buy a few Motorola Sabre two-way radios and the like.

>tfw your government just destroys instead of sells to the public
>>
>>33377673
Mine seals themselves with rapid closing blast valves by the pressure of the blast(s). Goes to internal air scrubbers for a week, then opens for filtered outside air.
>>
Without a suit and gloves and boots you might as well march in without a mask since you're going to contaminate yourself anyway.

Why do so many people just assume that a mask will totally shield them from anything?
>>
>>33377751
Nah.. Just depends on what the substance is. For most things like asbestos a full facemask and light decontamination afterwards is sufficient. Like said before here, NBC is hardly a realistic threat to buy gasmasks for. Chemical weapons are only used by terrorists on a small scale and biological weapons can affect their own people too easily, which is why again they might only be used by terrorists in a metropolitan aera.

But what you are talking about is just ignorance and overconfidence that keep people from properly researching what they are buying for what use.

It's such a drag to see that even people with the healthy
foresight to make preparations are still as dumb as the average consumer. They just buy what looks cools. Same with those buying gold, silver or ham radios before even having a 2 week food supply.
>>
>>33374400
Here comrade. Have a look at some masks and find one that you like!
http://gasmaskandrespirator.wikia.com/wiki/Wiki
Keep in mind surplus could have needle holes in rubber, cracks, broken seals, or dry rotted rubber.
New is always the best idea for a mask you may need to survive.
Checkout Scott's M110 aka Finnish M95, looks bretty cool
>>
>>33376388
Plus the fact that civilian respirators are built to higher standards, and there's enough variety on the market that you can get one that fits/seals instead of forcing your face to acommodate some wrong-sized piece of milsurp.
>>
>>33379826
Exactly, surplus respirators look cool and have that real stalker/classic SAS vibe, but the fact is that they have likely not been held to the same modern standards that we see today. If you want to make sure that the mask you are buying is truly:

>1 - going to fit your face properly
>2 - not have any hidden issues like cracked seals or needle holes
>3 - have an abundance of filters for whatever issue you may be facing.
And
>4 - meet high level quality control and standards testing

You will need to buy a modern one. I won't lie I used to own an old British gas mask, the style the SAS used in all those old all black pictures, it was awesome until my mate as a joke threw a bucket of water at me screaming gas. It was only then that I noticed that water was leaking in around the eye seals through holes I couldn't even see.

It's a tough bullet to bite sometimes spending a little more on a mask but knowing you have the peace of mind that it'll work when it needs to is what really counts.
>>
File: IMG_20170321_125703_337.jpg (22KB, 281x484px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170321_125703_337.jpg
22KB, 281x484px
>>33380049
Pic related, as you can see the photo was taken back when phones still used potato's as cameras.
>>
>>33374400
>cant even police your sling
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.