[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Collateral Damage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Granduca_Frnt-1120x750.jpg (240KB, 1120x750px) Image search: [Google]
Granduca_Frnt-1120x750.jpg
240KB, 1120x750px
I'll be working nights at a hotel soon. I typically carry a .38 snub nose with +P JHPs but now I'm wondering if I should find something lower velocity for this target-saturated environment. I know hollowpoints have a nice tendency to spend their energy in material rather than penetrate it, but it has to be a cartridge that I can confidently fire straight through a hotel wall into a room full of giggling babies. Otherwise, a prudent man is compelled to downgrade to mace or something.

Have ammo manufacturers tried to fill this niche? Maybe some hugely slow and heavy bullet. Are normal hollowpoints already good enough?
>>
>>33367669
>shooting through a wall into a room of babies
Im assuming you're kidding on this bit

In my uninformed opinion, what you're using should be fine. Hollowpoints shouldnt be going through walls anyway, although if you tried you would probably have some success. Enough to danger the people on the other side, but not enough to actually do anything you intend

Just actually hit the guy when you aim

Out of curiosity, what model snubbie?
>>
>>33367690
>Im assuming you're kidding on this bit
I'm just thinking of the worst possible case. Bad-guy is approaching in a line perpendicular to the rooms, I miss, and the shot enters the wall at a straight angle.

As for the gun, it's an LCR-X. Nothing classy.
>>
>>33367669
The heavier a bullet is the better it will penetrate barriers. It's all about that energy retention mang. DESU what you have now (lighting bullet traveling not too fast) is probably your best bet. Just load up the lightest hollow points you can.

Don't stop carrying a gun just because you're afraid of overpenetration.
>>
>>33367745
Well anything heavier will have a hard time stopping. What are the walls made of?

If they're just drywall, frame, drywall, then it may be possible for any bullet to penetrate and kill every single baby on the other side. I dont know because ive never shot at drywall before

If they're wood or concrete or have an internal layer of something, .32 will be fine for not going through
>>
>>33367669
Look into SWAT guns/ammo.
Also look at frangible ammo
>>
>>33367669
A .38 won't penetrate for shit.

I've seen lead slugs fail to penetrate a cardboard builder's tube.
>>
>>33367669
>ctrl+f
>"Glaser Safety Slugs"
>zero results

Gadammit, /k/, apply yourself.

OP, this issue has been solved since the 70's.
>>
>>33367669
>but now I'm wondering if I should find something lower velocity for this target-saturated environment.
>Have ammo manufacturers tried to fill this niche?
Glaser slugs. Specifically invented for the cases when penetration is a great danger (using inside airplanes by air marshals ). Put them the as first couple rounds.
>>
>>33367669
Frangible rounds are your best option. They turn into dust upon hitting a hard obstacle (wood, drywall, concrete, glass, etc).
>>
>but it has to be a cartridge that I can confidently fire straight through a hotel wall into a room full of giggling babies

6mm caseless.

>>33368215
They seem a bit unrelaible about penetratign deep enough. I have also seen some tests showing that they can end up more dangerous after punching through a wall, dust clogs the front cavity delaying fragmentation and thus increasing penetration depth. Can't find the page any more though.
>>
>>33369443
They're just the most well-known frangible ammo, but no means the only option.

They emphasis is on "Safety" with them, they are very very frangible, the downside is, like you said, a potential lack of penetration.

You're using a revolver, open with 2/3 Safety Slugs and finish with 2/3 of your preferred defensive loads.
>>
>>33369484
>but no means the only option
*by no means

Dammit, phone.
>>
>>33369484
>4/3
>>
Enjoy losing your job when they find out you brought a gun to work.
>>
>>33369520
Pardon me, my notation was ambiguous.

What I meant was, load the first two or three chambers with Safety Slugs, and then load the last two or three chambers with whatever else you prefer.
>>
>>33367669
>I'll be working nights at a hotel soon.

Lmfao welcome to the worst job in the fucking world. Every night I get closer and closer to killing myself.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.