[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sapi Plate Stacking?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 2009-10-22-15.12.492.jpg (899KB, 2736x2052px) Image search: [Google]
2009-10-22-15.12.492.jpg
899KB, 2736x2052px
I have sort of a strange question for you guys but here goes. Over the years when I find a set of ceramic sapi plates cheap I usually buy them, I’ve collected about 12 sapi plates all together. I guess I’m just saving them for Armageddon or w/e idk haha so that my friends and family have something if shtf, wrol or whatever. Anyway my question is about stacking sapi plates, basically I want to store these away in a storage building, I’m thinking about putting them in a padded plastic container maybe 6-8 stacked on each other, but like because they are triple curved I’m going to pad the bottom plate with scrap clothing so that all of the weight isn’t resting solely on the corners of that bottom plate, the scrap clothing will help to spread the weight distribution over the entire bottom plate in the stack. My question is how many sapi plates do you think are safe to stack without over time the bottom plate and or plates possibly cracking from having too many plates and or too much weight stacked ontop of it? Would 8-10 plates stacked on top of each other be okay long term?
>>
>>33363250
you are now in the realm of dealing with chemical decomposition.

How long is a saapi plate good for? Do they expire?
>>
>>33363250

Stack them virtically so each supports it's own weight. The curve will be a wide enough arc to stand on its own.
>>
>>33363250
Yeah they should be fine
>>
Just how good does a sapi plate do its job? Speaking in terms of being deployed is their something preventing you from purchasing some kevlar soft pads and wearing it with the sapi plates?
>>
>>33363346
*there
>>
>>33363346
I have soft Kevlar to go behind the plates if I needed to set them up in a plate carrier for use yes. The question is about long term storage.
>>
>>33363377
I meant US military protocol, would they allow you to wear additional kevlar plates along with your sapi plates. It kinda doesn't relate to the thread but its seemed like a good place to ask
>>
>>33363393
Usually in the military you would be issued an IOTV which contains soft inserts as well as the military esapi plates front back and sides which are rated ICW in conjunction with the soft armor contained within the iotv to obtain their full apm2 rating.
>>
>>33363415
Ah, thanks for clarifying and forthe info. Either way I'd feel better having that little bit of extra protection, mentally anyway.
>>
>>33363445
Yeah Kevlar is good stuff, and if a rifle round hits you from way beyond it's effective range and it looses enough energy I believe it still can make a save even though soft armor is only rated for pistol rounds, fragmentation, etc.
>>
Man, when you mention stacking SAPI, I was expecting the gecko45 pasta...
>>
>>33363278
From what I understand they are good pretty much indefinitely. Even cracked plates still make saves especially multi-hit rated ceramic plates. Wanna know why? Because it's multi-hit rated meaning when it gets shot once it's got a fuck ton of cracks in it, and it's designed to still stop more rounds even after being shot once.
>>
>>33363596
I thought you were supposed to check each edge by flexing and listening for cracking sounds, if so they were bad
>>
>>33363666

yes that is the method for checking for cracks, also tapping the plate and listening for a bell like ring. However even if you got a cracked plate they still do work, assuming it's like most ceramic sapi plates, they are composed of two materials, 1 the strike face which is the ceramic, and 2 many layers of spectra or dyneema which are glued behind the ceramic. even if the plate cracks, the dyneema that it's glued to usually keeps it all in place.
>>
>>33363727
ah, not too educated on the topic.Thanks for info
>>
>>33363751

yeah I mean honestly non cracked is preferred but if you look on youtube there are multiple people who test shoot cracked sapi plates and they stop a whole fuck ton of rounds even cracked.
>>
>>33363250
Sustained compression from being stacked 10 deep should not cause any damage. Treat them like they are made out of glass. Don't drop them, shock them or throw them around carelessly but much like how you can stack dinner plates, you can stack SAPI plates.

>>33363278
The plates are chemically stable under standard conditions. Unless you expose them to a lot of heating and cooling or leave them out in direct sunlight and get them wet a lot, they will last indefinatly.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.