[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We will never bring back Greek Fire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: get-out-trailer.jpg (21KB, 680x384px) Image search: [Google]
get-out-trailer.jpg
21KB, 680x384px
Feels bad. We can't figure out what the hell it is.
>>
>>33362916
Who cares. We have way worse shit now.
>>
>>33362916

Eh just like the mystery of Damascus steel. Oh well.
>>
Pretty much napalm.
>>
>>33362948

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_fire#Theories_on_composition
>>
It's hyperbole.

Ancient people were morons, and most ancient literature ESPECIALLY those concerning war victories are 80% tall tales and fibbs.

It was probably not anything particularly special.
>>
>>33362916
We've built explosives that can release megatons of energy and level cities, I don't think we should be so sad we forgot how to make Greek fire.
>>
>>33362916
It was naptha and crushed chiox tears, right?
>>
>>33362944
Roman concrete, too.
>>
>>33364543
We already know Roman concrete was held together by mixing ash from the Pompeii region though.
>>
File: LuIptot.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
LuIptot.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>33362916
but we have napalm
>>
>tfw Archimedes will never show up at your house with a giant magnifying glass and play Rome Total War with you in awe.

:(
>>
>>33362916
What if Greek Fire is just Olive Oil?
>>
>>33362931
*better, depending on your morals
>>
>>33362916
its the better kind of gf
>>
>>33362916
Blame it on the Romans for destroying the Library of Alexandria. Fucking dumbasses
>>
>>33365392
what if greek fire was just the fire of democracy in their hearts
>>
>>33365455
Not during the Byzantines, when it was actually invented (~670's)
>>
We could make something similar with burning deep fryer oil. Especially if water was in the vicinity.

Shit would be nasty.
>>
>>33364828
If we take accounts to be accurate, greek fire was like self oxidizing napalm.
>>
>>33364819
We've also figured out what impurities are needed to make wootz steel.

And where the mine was that had those impurities naturally (before it played out anyways).
>>
>>33362916
Olive oil, duh.
>>
>>33364828
>>33365575
I bet greek fire was great, but could they throw it like a modern flamethrower can?
>>
phosphorous is better
>>
>>33362916
Just be happy they actually took it to their graves unlike the other 1000 things the Turks appropriated then turned against Christendom.
>>
>>33365638
They mostly used catapults to throw Molotov like jars of it. there where also a few flamethrower like designs that had man operated pumps to spew the mixture out in front of a pilot flame but they had a serious danger of blowing up from back flow if the pump pressure dropped.
>>
>>33362916
We have napalm numbnuts, and if you read into it Greek fire was probably just some type of oil, maybe even just petrol oil.

You can put brake cleaner in a super soaker and pretend you're a Greek sailor. It's highly flammable but doesn't explode in large quantity.
>>
>>33365607
>oil fires are made worse if you try to douse them with water
fucks sake anon you might be right
>>
>>33366075
>You can put brake cleaner in a super soaker and pretend you're a Greek sailor
Wait till I tell the other kids at school! Hey guys..
>>
>>33362916
It's the equivalent of people a thousand years from now trying to replicate .50 BMG

>It was accurate out to 3 kilometers
>It'll kill a man just by passing by him
>It can punch through IFVs if it has an AP core
>Can't hunt with it though, it'll blow the deer apart and you'll have no meat left

We can't replicate it because none of the qualities attributed to it actually existed. It was probably just some oil/fuel mixture with a congealant, someone threw water on it and lost their shit when it didn't immediately extinguish, and then here we are.
>>
>>33364214
>Ancient people were morons
>What are the pyramids, concrete, algebra, and multitudes of shit that we have issues today in replicating

Nigga you ten parts of dumb
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.